FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Laughing at the expense of another person's misfortune?

Laughing at the expense of another person's misfortune?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Did Ricky Gervais overstep his mark during the Golden Globe award ceremony?

I did not watch it, however, when I heard the intro he had for Robert Downey Jr in the news, I cringed, and thought the guy was a prick.

It was an unpleasant trick to extract a laugh from the audience IMHO.

My view is a tad bias as I have always liked and fancied RDJ, whereas I have never liked Ricky Gervais, and don't understand what is so great/funny about him!

And yes, I had laughed at others' stupidity. However, I would like to believe I have the good grace not to make fun of another peron's misfortune, and hope others would do the same for me!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Always thought he was a prick, he's got a face you just want to smack

He's not come across as someone you could sit and have a laugh with in the pub from what I've seen of his as him. But I guess that's why he writes such great idiots lol

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

I don't know what he said, but I can't stand him anyway. His srupid grin as if he is funny annoys the hell out of me so I turn over if he is on the telly.

By *entcouple4550Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

The Germans have a word for it..'schadenfreude'. It means taking delight in the misfortune of others.

I'm sorry, there may be individual examples of it that you find offensive but we all do it.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Oh sorry, forgot the question.

So it seems he said he wanted to shock when presenting these awards, which is fine ( why they let him do them anyway is beyond me) but I think it says more about him than the person he is trying to make a fool of.

As you say thought Pearl we have probably all laughed at things we shouldn't have, but at least it wasn't in front of an audience.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

I think Gervais can only dream about being as big a star as the people he mocked, I have often thought he was enormously over rated as a comedian.

Did anyone a few months back see the spat between Sir Patrick Stewart and James Corden at an awards ceremony.. it was embarrasing to watch!.. but i did laugh hysterically

I thought the Office was brilliant, but since that I don't find him funny

By *ertnbeckyCouple  over a year ago

oldham

never liked him smarmy look at me type.

who really is just a prick imho

Phew! And I though I was the only one that hated the smarmy prick. James Corden is another one !!!

cant say ive ever liked him, but its nice to see some of those stars get a put down, most are well and truly up their own arses, you can tell the ones that arent, they were pissing them selves.

dont think there is much point in him staying in hollywood now tho

dont worry he was slapped back down....

one of the the award 'winners' took their award with this parting gift''

''well ladies and gentleman I have always thought that RG was a little fat funny man - tonight we learn he isnt funny''

nuff said

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"dont worry he was slapped back down....

one of the the award 'winners' took their award with this parting gift''

''well ladies and gentleman I have always thought that RG was a little fat funny man - tonight we learn he isnt funny''

nuff said "

Nice put down lol , might go read what he said now....but it might mean his face will come up in google when I do a search and it is putting me off looking

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

it was tim allen and tom hanks who said the "funny little fat man" jibe when they were collecting the award for toy story 3....

anyway.... some of what ricky said was very funny (the awards for special effects should have gone to the person who did the airbrushing of the posters for "sex in the city 2") and yes there was some stuff that was closer to the bone (the sheen stuff) and even some of the stuff he said got an ooooh in the room (the tourist)

but there were as many people in the room laughing as there were cringing.... and sometimes people do take themselves too seriously....

i thought Robert Downey Jr handled the remark very well.

im sure whatever problems he has are a battle and hearing that sort of thing isn't going to help.

a laugh is one thing. but to do it on a major television programme is another and i would have had more than a word with him back stage.

Maybe he is looking to make it BIG in the USA ....... Thay just love the under dog the uk and other start to pull apart .... Next he will be making movies in Hollywood block busters..

"Did Ricky Gervais overstep his mark during the Golden Globe award ceremony?

I did not watch it, however, when I heard the intro he had for Robert Downey Jr in the news, I cringed, and thought the guy was a prick.

It was an unpleasant trick to extract a laugh from the audience IMHO.

My view is a tad bias as I have always liked and fancied RDJ, whereas I have never liked Ricky Gervais, and don't understand what is so great/funny about him!

And yes, I had laughed at others' stupidity. However, I would like to believe I have the good grace not to make fun of another peron's misfortune, and hope others would do the same for me!

"

Most comedy is based on laughing at others' misfortune.That's what sitcom is!

Ricky Gervais always looks like he's one breath away from a heart attack. He's so pasty and sweaty. And totally unfunny, but other do find him funny and I accept that.

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

The oddest part of this to me is that anyone was surprised.

When Tom Hanks says "we remember when he was funny in a nice way", my first reaction is to wonder what he's been taking - Gervais has always had that nasty streak.

I personally thought it was funny.

America and British comedy is very different so some people might get offended. American award shows are very much geared to blowing smoke up each others asses, so sometimes people make a big thing about the jibes people like Gervais and Russell Brand make while doing those shows in America.

Apparently Tim Allen and Tom Hanks who were reported to be outraged were having a beer with Gervais at the aftershow party and the whole thing is just media blowing things out of proportion.

Gervais disappeared for an hour during the ceremony. Maybe a few of the 'stars' he'd been taking the piss out of were holding him by his arms while Hanks pummelled him in the guts. He'd sure toned it down a bit by the time he resurfaced.

I thought he was hilarious! Introducing Bruce Willis as 'Ashton Kutcher's dad' was a stroke of genius. These people already have everyone around them telling them how wonderful they are, back-slapping and arse licking constantly, maybe they need someone to say it like it is? They're all human, after all, and putting themselves in the public spotlight should open them up to criticism.

And Sharp Dressed Man is right, Gervais has always had a nasty streak, even when he started on the 11 o'clock show he got a lot of complaints. He was quite vicious the last couple of times he introduced the show, so I don't know why anyone would be surprised!

Ricky Gervais was looking for a reaction. It doesn't have to be good as any attention gets you noticed. Fair play to him i say at least he wasn't arse licking like some do.

» Add a new message to this topic