FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > booze

booze

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

more tax on drink, will it work or is it just another stealth tax ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Is it a tax rise?.....

Thought it was a minimum price regulation....which equates to duty plus VAT for 'Off Sales'

sorry i miss read the article, it said banning the shops selling drink at less than the tax owed my bad

Torquay

Until I read the article myself I had no idea that some supermarkets were losing up to 11p on a bottle of San Miguel sold for 50p in a multipack.

It beggars belief why they would be prepared to make such a ridiculous loss just to make a sale.

bbut they still can sell it at a loss

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If the government are so intent on reducing the problem of our "binge drinking" culture, they need to stop giving extra DSS money to the wasters who register themselves with their GP and AA as having a "drink problem". This appears to be a reward for irrespnsible behavour or just plain fraud. In some cases it can amount to an extra £70 per week per individual, so they can support their habit.

"If the government are so intent on reducing the problem of our "binge drinking" culture, they need to stop giving extra DSS money to the wasters who register themselves with their GP and AA as having a "drink problem". This appears to be a reward for irrespnsible behavour or just plain fraud. In some cases it can amount to an extra £70 per week per individual, so they can support their habit. "

really??

Torquay

"bbut they still can sell it at a loss"

Yes they can, which is where I think the problem lays....They should be limited to selling the item at unit cost plus VAT.

What doesn't help is that apparantly the large brewers and distributors like Diagio are prepared to sell many bottled beers to the large supermarkets for as little as duty plus 4p plus VAT per bottle.....

In which case the big boys like Tescos won't mind losing the 4p's from every bottle purchased.

No wonder the pub trade is failing fast.

"bbut they still can sell it at a loss

Yes they can, which is where I think the problem lays....They should be limited to selling the item at unit cost plus VAT.

What doesn't help is that apparantly the large brewers and distributors like Diagio are prepared to sell many bottled beers to the large supermarkets for as little as duty plus 4p plus VAT per bottle.....

In which case the big boys like Tescos won't mind losing the 4p's from every bottle purchased.

No wonder the pub trade is failing fast."

agree that and the smoking ban have all but killed off our pubs

Torquay

"If the government are so intent on reducing the problem of our "binge drinking" culture, they need to stop giving extra DSS money to the wasters who register themselves with their GP and AA as having a "drink problem". This appears to be a reward for irrespnsible behavour or just plain fraud. In some cases it can amount to an extra £70 per week per individual, so they can support their habit. "

That has shocked me....never heard of that before.

Under what benefit is this paid out?

"If the government are so intent on reducing the problem of our "binge drinking" culture, they need to stop giving extra DSS money to the wasters who register themselves with their GP and AA as having a "drink problem". This appears to be a reward for irrespnsible behavour or just plain fraud. In some cases it can amount to an extra £70 per week per individual, so they can support their habit.

really??"

Appears so, I`ve witnessed these "scroungers" bragging about it.

"If the government are so intent on reducing the problem of our "binge drinking" culture, they need to stop giving extra DSS money to the wasters who register themselves with their GP and AA as having a "drink problem". This appears to be a reward for irrespnsible behavour or just plain fraud. In some cases it can amount to an extra £70 per week per individual, so they can support their habit.

That has shocked me....never heard of that before.

Under what benefit is this paid out?"

I`ve no idea what the qualifying criteria is, as I`ve NEVER in my life claimed any kind of benefit off the state. So I`m not really sure how the system works.

Torquay

Sounds like someone has been pulling your chain to me, there isn't a benefit that covers one off payments for addictions.

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

My cousin was an alcoholic and she did get a weekly allowance.

Always pissed me off as she had an excellent job as a Bank Manager but lost it because of the drink. Got retired through 'ill' health on a pension and also got this benefit. She was laughing all the way to the supermarket

Torquay

"My cousin was an alcoholic and she did get a weekly allowance.

Always pissed me off as she had an excellent job as a Bank Manager but lost it because of the drink. Got retired through 'ill' health on a pension and also got this benefit. She was laughing all the way to the supermarket "

So exactly what benefit was the allowance paid under?

They don't just make block payments willy nilly....and how do they accertain what rate of 'Booze Allowance' to give each individual?

Surely every alcoholic would claim the maximum allowance so they could drink themselves stupid?

Maybe, just maybe....this allowance you are talking about is Disablity Living Allowance?.....sometimes paid on the strength of someone having mental health issues?....but never an addiction to any legal or illegal substance.

There is no such thing as a booze allowance according to the DWP.

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

I am going back a number of years and unfortunately cannot ask her.

i have a family member who is a full time d*unk.

the only thing that matters to them is where the next can of stella comes from.

stole from my mother to feed the habit. run up £3k on a credit card and spent the whole lot on cases of drink.

been in the out of hospital with various illnesses and liver problems all due to the drink.

her older children hate her and one has already moved out as she takes most of their earnings to spend down the off license.

the youngest has to wash,dress and cook his own meals or he goes hungry.

most meals are a pot noodle.

this one person has ruined my family because all they care about is drinking.

and if i could. id break her bloody neck.

but my mother would never forgive me.

» Add a new message to this topic