FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Advice on back pain

Advice on back pain

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

In last couple of weeks I've had pain across my lower back . The pain is worse when I get up in the morning . I feel it when im standing , trying to sit down even slight movement. I have never had anything like this before . I am taking painkillers . I can't take anti inflammatory tablets. I get little relief with hot water bottle .

Would appreciate any advice .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ickstartmyheart103Man  over a year ago

near the east coast

[Removed by poster at 27/12/15 12:49:56]

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Possibly look at changing your mattress on the bed, visit to the doctors for medical advice, Pilates and yoga might be worth looking at to build up core strength etc

By *amissCouple  over a year ago

chelmsford

"In last couple of weeks I've had pain across my lower back . The pain is worse when I get up in the morning . I feel it when im standing , trying to sit down even slight movement. I have never had anything like this before . I am taking painkillers . I can't take anti inflammatory tablets. I get little relief with hot water bottle .

Would appreciate any advice ."

I sympathize with you. It could be a number of things. Mine was sciatica, so had pain down leg as well. Had strong painkillers and muscle relaxing drugs, none of which worked. My gp said I needed to keep moving rather than laying down. As with all things medical, I would always advise seeking medical advise. Mine took weeks to feel better, I just had to ride the storm! I hope you get some relief, bless you

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

Stretching exercises, not just the back, a lot of back pain is caused by shortened hamstring muscles pulling the back out of shape so work on stretching all the leg muscles (calf/thigh) too.

C...

You've twindged a muscle in your lower back, same symptoms i had few yrs back. Take some Paramol if you can get hold of it, stronger than paracetemol but no anti inflamatries in it, i'm also allergic to ibuprofen. Need to put something cold on lower back to reduce inflammation, do not use heat as once taken away muscles shrink back causing more pain. Hope advice helps a little. Spent a lot of money at chiropractor putting mine right but he gave great advice and i never suffered since x

"In last couple of weeks I've had pain across my lower back . The pain is worse when I get up in the morning . I feel it when im standing , trying to sit down even slight movement. I have never had anything like this before . I am taking painkillers . I can't take anti inflammatory tablets. I get little relief with hot water bottle .

I sympathize with you. It could be a number of things. Mine was sciatica, so had pain down leg as well. Had strong painkillers and muscle relaxing drugs, none of which worked. My gp said I needed to keep moving rather than laying down. As with all things medical, I would always advise seeking medical advise. Mine took weeks to feel better, I just had to ride the storm! I hope you get some relief, bless you

"

yup definitely keep moving, walking is great and will help x

chelmsford

"You've twindged a muscle in your lower back, same symptoms i had few yrs back. Take some Paramol if you can get hold of it, stronger than paracetemol but no anti inflamatries in it, i'm also allergic to ibuprofen. Need to put something cold on lower back to reduce inflammation, do not use heat as once taken away muscles shrink back causing more pain. Hope advice helps a little. Spent a lot of money at chiropractor putting mine right but he gave great advice and i never suffered since x"

Good advise. My gp told me to alternate putting cold and then warm onto the area, but it didn't work for me, I suppose it was because it was sciatica, so trapped nerve, rather than muscular

Why cant you take anti inflamatories? (Any or only certain ones?)

You need to go to the doctor (he'll have a wider range of anti inflamatories he can give too) and get a referal to physio and follow the exercises given.

Find and tackle the source of the issue ASAP or it will get worse till its permanent.

If youve got an occupational health team at work and you think something there is causing it (chairs etc) get on to them and see whag they can do to sort it.

A great place for medical advice with all the doctors and physios on here

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

Try some gentle Yoga moves. could be sciatica certainly look at mattress. McTimoney Chiropractic Association a very gentle way to get help .. They really great .

chelmsford

Would appreciate any advice .A great place for medical advice with all the doctors and physios on here "

I think we are just sharing our experiences and most have advised to seek medical advise, above everything else.

Would appreciate any advice .A great place for medical advice with all the doctors and physios on here

I think we are just sharing our experiences and most have advised to seek medical advise, above everything else."

Problem is lots of people have instantly recomended stretches or exercises despite absolutely no idea of the cause of this.

So could be advising dangerous things that will exacerbate the problem.

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

Go to a doctor .

There are a thousand causes of back pain. No one here can diagnose it

chelmsford

Would appreciate any advice .A great place for medical advice with all the doctors and physios on here

I think we are just sharing our experiences and most have advised to seek medical advise, above everything else.

Problem is lots of people have instantly recomended stretches or exercises despite absolutely no idea of the cause of this.

"

Quite right, which is why I said seek medical advise, it could be so many different things.

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

The very best advice I was ever given about back ache was to visit an osteopath.

I was so bad I couldn't even drive myself there but I managed to get into my sister's car and she drove me there.

The osteopath massaged me to loosen the muscles and then twisted me until the muscles 'clicked'.

It didn't hurt at all. In fact was quite pleasant.

Within 45 mins I was able to run and jump again.

The NHS doesn't understand muscles. They just give you anti-inflammatories which takes ages to help.

A few years ago, the NHS did, however, authorise doctors to fund their patients' treatment with an osteopath. It is up to the GP and some do fund it and some don't.

chelmsford

Go to a doctor .

There are a thousand causes of back pain. No one here can diagnose it "

Thanks for advice.

Unfortunately I can't take anti inflammatory tablets had a stomach bleed and ended up in hospital .

I know I need to go to the doctors and get a diagnosis. Will look at advice given in the meantime to see if there is anything else that may ease it .

"Thanks for advice.

Unfortunately I can't take anti inflammatory tablets had a stomach bleed and ended up in hospital .

I know I need to go to the doctors and get a diagnosis. Will look at advice given in the meantime to see if there is anything else that may ease it ."

Depending on the cause of the bleed though foctors can perscribe you things like omprezole to go along side antiinflamatories to protect your stomach or use topical aplications so you dont havs to take tablets.

If it's muscle spasm try a sports massage. I have had back problems all my life,including sciatica and spasms. The sports massage was instant relief and my back rarely causes me trouble now. Losing weight dramatically helps with back pain and good posture.

Try real medical advice

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

My back completly went last Christmas, I had to phone the doctor as I couldn't move,, he prescribed excerices where I had to lie on the bed and gently lift my legs and along with the pain killers prescribed diazapan then I had to be careful for ages when moving and lifting

, but thankfully I got rid of it in the end and touch wood hasn't come back

See a doctor... Lower back pain can be anything from a pulled muscle or bad mattress to a UTI or something more sinister ..... No one should give medical advice unless qualified really

Feel better soon

"Try real medical advice "

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

1. If you just want to read a lot of posts from people trying to be helpful but don't have any idea at all what your problem is then ask away- waste your life reading the wonderful plethora of sometimes hysterical shite that always amazes and never disappoints.

2. Contact a medic.

I think option 2 is best.

Now for my own un/helpful shite.

1. kidney infection .....

2. protruding disc....

"Possibly look at changing your mattress on the bed, visit to the doctors for medical advice, Pilates and yoga might be worth looking at to build up core strength etc "

I'd go for some sort of lifestyle change, I had a bit of a depressive patch a few years ago, I almost spent a month not leaving the house, with that much inactivity I had a lot of back pain, I took up power walking as opposed to jogging. And my back pain went in two weeks. I've done 22 mile walks in the pst. I avoid using the car whenever possible.

By *r ManxMan  over a year ago

NeverWhere

"1. If you just want to read a lot of posts from people trying to be helpful but don't have any idea at all what your problem is then ask away- waste your life reading the wonderful plethora of sometimes hysterical shite that always amazes and never disappoints.

2. Contact a medic.

I think option 2 is best.

Now for my own un/helpful shite.

1. kidney infection .....

2. protruding disc....

"

Totally agree with above you need to properly identify the problem, then treat it then try and prevent it happening again.

if its muscular back pain i do Yoga and its been amazing i have had no major problems since i started .

if its Kidney / UTI diet and improved personal hygiene may help but speak to a health professional before making any changes

"Try real medical advice "

I'd been seeing my doctor for 30 years about my back pain,had two visits to a&e and numerous weeks stuck on a sofa taking drugs. The person who practically cured my back was a qualified sports therapist. I rarely take anything for back pain now.

Have read all your advice/ suggestions.

Think best thing is to see doctor to get a diagnosis .

Depending on outcome I can then make a decision whether it would be wworthwhile looking at aalternative therapy .

Thanks everyone .

Quite right, which is why I said seek medical advise, it could be so many different things."

You have to be a bit simple to give advice on something you cannot diagnose in person and without the relevant qualifications....

Update

I did go and see doctor and he is referring me to muscular skeletal clinic.

Go and see an osteopath. It'll be a lot quicker and in all honesty if you donlt recall injuring it not completely debilitating you probably need nothing more than some stretches and exercies

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

My advice would be seek professional advice

We have no idea if you have a simple condition that either stretching or mattress change would cure OR you have a spinal condition that doing the wrong thing could make worse

Guessing where your back is concerned is not wise xx

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

See your Dr. It could be nothing or something serious. Can you use the gels, as a friend of mine can't take ibuprofen but can use the gels as it isn't ingested.

As someone who suffered lower back pain or spasms I always use osteopath or physio. The last time I had this problem I used Chinese massage and acupuncture , never tried it before but did the trick! Definitely keep mobile and walk sitting down and nursing it never does it any good. Hope you are better soon.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

was going to say.... in the short term you might want to get something like a reusable heat wrap if the hot water bottle is helping keeping the muscles loose....

but in the long term see as a doc...

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

See a doc/physio, but I suffered for a couple of years with lower back pain, diagnosed as a mis-shapen/slightly prolapsed disc. Did all the exercises, but no relief, the only painkiller that masked the symptoms was naprosyn (script only, but a low dose in feminax ultra).

Bless her, tres bought me a Homedics dtm100, which did the trick, cured it, no recurrence since. It's an obsolete model, but there is still some new old stock about, try ebay. The first one she got me was used, and it did pack up after a while, so bought 2 new ones, one for her place and one at mine.

A specialist told me...always keep lumbar region warm...8 degrees warmer than rest of body ideally..I've had some severe chronic back pain and it seems the cure is either physiotherapy, pain killing injection or surgery. Hopefully your still on phisio, which is essentially pilates I went to aqua fit rehab class down local leisure centre when I had a flare up...now a year later I'm swimming and Pilate's every week...no pain....if yours is muscular they might give you some diazepam lucky...

On yeah...go docs asap just in case

» Add a new message to this topic