FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Why do people "come out"

Why do people "come out"

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rinking-in-la OP   Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

I never sat my parents down and said "Mum, Dad, I am straight. I hope you are OK with that."

Why is there an expectation that gay folks will do so?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

Not all of them do.

My sister is gay. She never had the talk with either of our parents.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I never have as bi, my family have no idea still

Bristol

"Not all of them do.

My sister is gay. She never had the talk with either of our parents. "

Likewise, but it still seems inequitable that there is a need to do it at all.

Its a question I asked on a vanilla chat site once that sparked huge and fiery debate with no real answer or conclusion. A lot of gays saw the question as an attack or a command that they should stay in the closet pretending to be straight and refused to accept I thought they should just be themselves without making it a much bigger issue than it needs to be. After all like you said nobody needs to declare themselves straight to family and friends so why declare homosexuality just get on with it and be who you are.

I am 'out' to who I want to be 'out' to

The rest can draw their own conclusions

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman  over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

"Its a question I asked on a vanilla chat site once that sparked huge and fiery debate with no real answer or conclusion. A lot of gays saw the question as an attack or a command that they should stay in the closet pretending to be straight and refused to accept I thought they should just be themselves without making it a much bigger issue than it needs to be. After all like you said nobody needs to declare themselves straight to family and friends so why declare homosexuality just get on with it and be who you are."

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

no family are likely to exclude you for being straight, the other may not be the same

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Until being gay (or any other sexuality) is as "normal" as being straight there will probably be a need to come out in some people's eyes.

I had this conversation only the other day with a friend who's gay after he told me a mate of his was "too gay" and "in your face with it"...he asked me if I'd ever felt the need to come out as heterosexual and if not why should he come out as gay?

By *andomfodCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Traditionally, being straight was seen as the only way and was expected of everyone I guess. So you have to make the announcement that you're not the expected "norm".

In today's society, it's less important, if at all as people are slowly becoming more accepting of LGBT as I see it. It's a step in the right direction if only a small one. Hopefully in times to come there will be no need for "coming out" or breaking the news.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I can see why gay people used to and I can see them telling immediate family so there isn't the surprise when they introduce same sex as their partner, it generally in this day and age I don't know as someone said I've never come out and in general conversation I've never spoken about my sexuality.

I've never been interested in someone's sexuality I take them for who they are.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

"no family are likely to exclude you for being straight, the other may not be the same"
I u derstand that but because of the way I am I find it hard that someome would exclude a member of their family because of their sexuality.

"Its a question I asked on a vanilla chat site once that sparked huge and fiery debate with no real answer or conclusion. A lot of gays saw the question as an attack or a command that they should stay in the closet pretending to be straight and refused to accept I thought they should just be themselves without making it a much bigger issue than it needs to be. After all like you said nobody needs to declare themselves straight to family and friends so why declare homosexuality just get on with it and be who you are."

Coming out is like 'admitting' something.. something dreadful.

I think who people fuck is their own business.

Same for gay people and Swingers.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I suspect though that it's easier for those of us who are heterosexual and therefore accepted sexually without question to say "coming out" isn't necessary.

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

Personally I don't think there is an expectation to.

But then, I knew my sister was gay before she did, and none of my family would have any issue with it.

Wouldn't your family and close friends 'just know' therefore negating the need to say it?!

the things iv been cought doing I think they guessed

By *icky999Man  over a year ago

warrington

because the sun caught me around the back of tory hq with a rent boy

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I was born with jazz hands and wore my baby hats at a jaunty angle.......

they knew

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

A few of my friends that have come out see it as an act of acceptance, they are telling people they are gay. Also it is confirmation to themselves, as one friend in particular was having a nightmare of a time till he came out and told everyone, he couldn't deal with it in person. Afterwards he felt better in himself.

I dare say everyone does it for different reasons.

By *ohnkezCouple  over a year ago

shefiield

"I never have as bi, my family have no idea still"

"Traditionally, being straight was seen as the only way and was expected of everyone I guess. So you have to make the announcement that you're not the expected "norm".

In today's society, it's less important, if at all as people are slowly becoming more accepting of LGBT as I see it. It's a step in the right direction if only a small one.

Hopefully in times to come there will be no need for "coming out" or breaking the news."

I grew-up in a time where stigma and prejudice were prevalent in society,,,,

Adults should be much better equipped to process the thoughts and emotions which can manifest in the minds of young people who feel worried about negative reactions that could result from being open about their sexuality....

But thankfully it seems younger generations are becoming much more enlightened in their thinking .....

But I kinda guess that unless you've experienced livening life hiding something that helps define you as a person, you'll never fully understand the value and self worth some people achieve from coming out....

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Personally I don't think there is an expectation to.

But then, I knew my sister was gay before she did, and none of my family would have any issue with it.

Wouldn't your family and close friends 'just know' therefore negating the need to say it?! "

No I don't think that they necessarily would from direct personal experience.

"Traditionally, being straight was seen as the only way and was expected of everyone I guess. So you have to make the announcement that you're not the expected "norm".

In today's society, it's less important, if at all as people are slowly becoming more accepting of LGBT as I see it. It's a step in the right direction if only a small one. Hopefully in times to come there will be no need for "coming out" or breaking the news."

I also wonder if it's a way of telling your parents...'look guys if you were dreaming about the traditional white wedding and grandkids thing...then I'm here to burst ya bubble!'

I only say this as I have been shocked at the reaction I've had from my mum...who unbeknown to me had all these dreams of her daughter having a traditional lifestyle! getting married young, living round the corner from her so she can be invited to Sunday lunch. Having children!

She was actually outraged with me for denying her grandchildren ffs!!!

I guess until families get their heads out of the 1950's and stop watching bloody Disney films, there will always be children who feel they need to give their parents a reality check.

Whether that is their sexuality, or other lifestyle choices!

By *ungBlackTopMan  over a year ago

salford

I came out because being me had been forcibly suppressed as a child.

I'd learned to live my life in complete denial and it meant I hadn't been a particularly nice person much of the time.

By 'coming out' I shed my old self. Explained why I'd been so bitter. Revealed myself to the world.

"I came out because being me had been forcibly suppressed as a child.

I'd learned to live my life in complete denial and it meant I hadn't been a particularly nice person much of the time.

By 'coming out' I shed my old self. Explained why I'd been so bitter. Revealed myself to the world. "

By *hyllyphyllyMan  over a year ago

Bradford

I don't think I've ever come out. But I'm sure they know already.

My daughter never came out. She just posted pics of her and her girlfriend on facebook. Hopefully, more young uns will do the same.

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS  over a year ago

London&Dublin

" After all like you said nobody needs to declare themselves straight to family and friends so why declare homosexuality just get on with it and be who you are.

I am 'out' to who I want to be 'out' to

The rest can draw their own conclusions.

I've never been interested in someone's sexuality I take them for who they are

"

Well said.

I feel lucky in a way that my own 'coming out' was in this day and age as majority of people are more accepting so less and less hear of people being disowned by their family for being gay, bisexual or trans at least not in this country. Do hope won't need to have the conversation with my children though as they will be confident to be who they are and not worry what others think.

Coming out to my mrs and then to my kids was a revelation for them.

They knew I was different to other Dad's. Telling them I was transgender filled in a big chunk for them. Explained who I am. They say they never realised they could be closer to me but now they understand me they feel closer than ever.

Knowing I'm bi also helped them understand why they have always been able to talk their boy problems over so easily with me.

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman  over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

"I don't think I've ever come out. But I'm sure they know already.

My daughter never came out. She just posted pics of her and her girlfriend on facebook. Hopefully, more young uns will do the same. "

My daughter stuck something on facebook I don't want her to make a song and dance about it,just be who she is. I get the impression she thinks she's in some special club now,she's still young so I'm sure she'll settle down. She's out and proud and that's great,but she 'll be treated no different to her sister who likes boys. She went to a support group until that closed,not sure she needed to,but she liked going there.

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS  over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

because sometimes its nice to be open about who u are instead of living a lie and worrying about be found out

Because there's still so much homophobia in the world.

I never came out as such, just started a relationship with another woman and put it on Facebook, then a week or so I was talking to my mum about it. The conversation went as follows...

"Mum, about Millie..."

"I know she's your girlfriend, I saw on Facebook."

It was that easy! As far as I know all my extended family were fine with it too. My ex came with me to a family wedding some five months after we got together & everyone was very welcoming... though the groom who married my cousin looked surprised when I introduced her to him as my girlfriend

"because sometimes its nice to be open about who u are instead of living a lie and worrying about be found out"

Sometimes theres no need as its pretty obvious

Bristol

"because sometimes its nice to be open about who u are instead of living a lie and worrying about be found out"

You can be open. It is the big reveal that I am seeking thoughts on. All gay folks should live openly and happily as let's face it, who you love is of relevance to no one else but you and them.

By *oobsandballsMan  over a year ago

st andrews

I informed my sister recently that I was bi, as she was having an Ann summers party and I didn't want something to come up accidentally and for her to find out in front of her friends.

I haven't told the rest of the family, not felt the need

"I never sat my parents down and said "Mum, Dad, I am straight. I hope you are OK with that."

Why is there an expectation that gay folks will do so?"

Saves the whole "wait what do you mean husband!?" Discussion

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

"no family are likely to exclude you for being straight, the other may not be the sameI u derstand that but because of the way I am I find it hard that someome would exclude a member of their family because of their sexuality.

"

One of my exes half brothers is gay. He's 21 and told his parents when he was about 16. They do nothing but wind him up, make jokes and get digs in about it. He gets tetchy (understandably) and spends all his time at home locked in his bedroom away from them. Nasty fuckers they are.

Well ive got a friend whose parents response to him coming out was he should kill himself and that he was going to go to hell.

Suppose it was best to find that response out before the "hey this is my boyfriend" conversation.

"because sometimes its nice to be open about who u are instead of living a lie and worrying about be found out

You can be open. It is the big reveal that I am seeking thoughts on. All gay folks should live openly and happily as let's face it, who you love is of relevance to no one else but you and them. "

Well most gay folks when they realise are in school. A place where keeping your non standard sexuality secret is a major survival statagey

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"no family are likely to exclude you for being straight, the other may not be the sameI u derstand that but because of the way I am I find it hard that someome would exclude a member of their family because of their sexuality.

"

It does happens still unfortunately.

"because sometimes its nice to be open about who u are instead of living a lie and worrying about be found out

You can be open. It is the big reveal that I am seeking thoughts on. All gay folks should live openly and happily as let's face it, who you love is of relevance to no one else but you and them.

Well most gay folks when they realise are in school. A place where keeping your non standard sexuality secret is a major survival statagey "

I was head girl at school

By *osieWoman  over a year ago

Wembley

"I never sat my parents down and said "Mum, Dad, I am straight. I hope you are OK with that."

Why is there an expectation that gay folks will do so?"

I have never made an announcement to my family that I am bisexual

Did explain but only after was questioned when I was with a previous girlfriend. Some accepted, some didn't; made not even an iota of difference to me

Well most gay folks when they realise are in school. A place where keeping your non standard sexuality secret is a major survival statagey

I was head girl at school "

Impressively progressive for a school in the 80's.

Impressively progressive for a school in the 80's. "

not really

By *iSTARessWoman  over a year ago

London

When non conventional, consensual sexual practices are excepted as not being deviant, then they'll no longer be the need to come out.

not really"

They gay lad in our school who was out got 3 misisng teeth before leaving. And that was the late 90's.

Wembley

not really

They gay lad in our school who was out got 3 misisng teeth before leaving. And that was the late 90's."

You seem to have witnessed a lot of violence against people; more than they've probably experienced themselves

not really

They gay lad in our school who was out got 3 misisng teeth before leaving. And that was the late 90's."

how sad,hope you stuck up for him

not really

They gay lad in our school who was out got 3 misisng teeth before leaving. And that was the late 90's.

how sad,hope you stuck up for him"

Sadly not. I was a far more cowardly individual when I was a teenager than i am these days.

Something i regret a lot.

not really

You seem to have witnessed a lot of violence against people; more than they've probably experienced themselves "

I assume the lad experienced it given it was his teeth that got knocked out.

My first gay encounter ended with me being hospitalised after a group of lads jumped me...

Wembley

not really

You seem to have witnessed a lot of violence against people; more than they've probably experienced themselves

My first gay encounter ended with me being hospitalised after a group of lads jumped me..."

I am 20 years your senior and I have not heard of a single instance of a lesbian woman being attacked. I am sorry that you have encountered and witnessed so much violence in this enlightened century

funnily enough cant say ive had any real hassle being the way I am,,most folk seem cool or uninterested,lol

London

not really

My first gay encounter ended with me being hospitalised after a group of lads jumped me...

I am 20 years your senior and I have not heard of a single instance of a lesbian woman being attacked. I am sorry that you have encountered and witnessed so much violence in this enlightened century"

I've been punched in the face, had eggs thrown at me and plenty of abuse. And have known of plenty of lesbians who have suffered abuse, though not as many as gay men and Trans people.

Is it small wonder queer folk feel the need to come out and assert themselves?

Wembley

not really

I am 20 years your senior and I have not heard of a single instance of a lesbian woman being attacked. I am sorry that you have encountered and witnessed so much violence in this enlightened century

I've been punched in the face, had eggs thrown at me and plenty of abuse. And have known of plenty of lesbians who have suffered abuse, though not as many as gay men and Trans people.

Is it small wonder queer folk feel the need to come out and assert themselves?"

Really sorry that your experiences have been so different from mine

The most hostility I experienced was in a swinger's club when I dressed up in a man's suit. And then too, it was frowns and one comment

I know quite a few lesbian couples; some married, some not; and not a single one has experienced any violence

London

not really

The most hostility I experienced was in a swinger's club when I dressed up in a man's suit. And then too, it was frowns and one comment

I know quite a few lesbian couples; some married, some not; and not a single one has experienced any violence"

Maybe just a numbers thing. A good 80% of my friends, peers and colleagues are queer/gay/alternative. I like to keep a few straight folk around as a novelty

not really

I am 20 years your senior and I have not heard of a single instance of a lesbian woman being attacked. I am sorry that you have encountered and witnessed so much violence in this enlightened century"

Well women face vastly less violence than men so thats hardly a surprising statistic

Wembley

not really

I know quite a few lesbian couples; some married, some not; and not a single one has experienced any violence

Maybe just a numbers thing. A good 80% of my friends, peers and colleagues are queer/gay/alternative. I like to keep a few straight folk around as a novelty "

Yeah; me too; I conduct experiments on them

London

"Some of my best friends are straight"

Wembley

""Some of my best friends are straight"

"

No; mine are 'specimens'

not really

I know quite a few lesbian couples; some married, some not; and not a single one has experienced any violence"

Well men are more than twice as likley to experience violence than women, so basing your _iew on lesbians is going to always skew things downwards

"funnily enough cant say ive had any real hassle being the way I am,,most folk seem cool or uninterested,lol"

This. Most people are just middle of the roads types and concerned more with themselves than what others do in bed, do out of it, who they do it with or what they wear.

I grew up on a working class estate in the Midlands - one of my mums best friends was Alfred, he'd go to work at Boots production factory in pop socks and an a-line skirt.

This was in the early 70's.

I don't remember it being an issue with anyone at all

"funnily enough cant say ive had any real hassle being the way I am,,most folk seem cool or uninterested,lol

This. Most people are just middle of the roads types and concerned more with themselves than what others do in bed, do out of it, who they do it with or what they wear.

I grew up on a working class estate in the Midlands - one of my mums best friends was Alfred, he'd go to work at Boots production factory in pop socks and an a-line skirt.

This was in the early 70's.

I don't remember it being an issue with anyone at all"

And Steven Simpson was burnt alive a few years ago for being gay.

Iirc the killer didn't even get 5 years

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

" I know quite a few lesbian couples; some married, some not; and not a single one has experienced any violence"

Most heterosexual relationships can report no violence.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Wembley

" I know quite a few lesbian couples; some married, some not; and not a single one has experienced any violence

Most heterosexual relationships can report no violence.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen."

I did not understand your comment

The lesbian couples I know are not heterosexual

So this thread was written by straight people asking why LGBT people need to come out?

its like a rich person saying "Why don't poor people just get more money"

Not that easy. And sadly we live in a time where LGBT people are still excluded from mainstream society so have to come out. Especially when they are under pressure.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'd hope that someone does it to improve things for themselves. Either to reduce pressure from others to conform, to prevent a gay person being under duress to lie or hide part of their lives, to potentially stop others doing homophobic stuff in front of a gay person etc.

Many more reasons I'm sure.

If someone feels alienated then they may also self-disclose, as a means to improve the closeness that they have with people that they care about.

Gay people also have higher levels of suicide etc than the general population - they may come out as a way to keep themselves safer and alive.

In families where there is full acceptance of children then it may not be needed. In my extended family both children in one unit are gay - an 18 years old lesbian and her 20 year old brother. Parents are very religious and it has been difficult for them.

We need to value loving, respectful aspects of people more than aggressive, antisocial flavours. And this holds for all of us.

I was at school in the midlands in the 70's and 80's..

Perhaps my perceptions were misplaced but there seemed such a strong homophobic trend in those days. If you were gay you had AIDS. Fact. Apparently. Gay people required beating up.

Even my own sister was against me being me.

I was so scared to let anyone think I wasn't straight I built muscles onto my girly frame and tried to learn how to be more bloke like.

Coming out for me has been so liberating after 30 years of hiding.

Why come out? Because I want to.

I want to shout it from the rooftops.

I know I might get attacked for it but so be it.

I won't hide anymore.

I'm a girl in a mans body and I fancy men as well as women

» Add a new message to this topic