FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Leaner drivers on motorways

Leaner drivers on motorways

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I heard on the radio this morning that learner drivers could have to drive on motorways as part of their lesson, I think it's a good idea as I was terrified driving on the motorway on my own at first, what bothers me is the amount of private instructors taking their students on the motorway without dual control systems in their cars.

What's everyone's thoughts on this subject?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

At the moment, it's illegal for Learner drivers to drive on Motorways - and I think that's regulated by European Law, so couldn't be changed.

Also, it's not practical - how could you legislate and cater for Learner drivers who live 100 miles from the nearest Motorway?

Yes, the training is highly desirable - but it there any viable way of doing it?

'Learner' drivers have been using the motorway for years as part of the Pass Plus course as my daughter did that.

Personally I think its a good idea as it gives them an idea of what its like, how to change lanes etc providing its just going a short distance ie one junction to another if its possible. Here in Gloucester one can join the motorway at junction 12 then off at Stroud

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

I passed my test in 1990... I always thought it was weird that they teach you how to drive yet don't bother to teach you how to park.

As for motorways... it should be part of the learning process but I always thought learners weren't allowed on the motorway... did that change?

As I understand it Pass Plus is ONLY for people who have passed their test.

No idea how to cater for those who live 100 miles from the nearest motorway though. Sorry forgot to answer that bit!

I volunteered once to be the passenger when my friend decided to take her first trip on the motorway.NEVER AGAIN,thats all I'm saying

[Removed by poster at 21/12/15 08:48:36]

There would need to be two classes of driving licence.

Part 1 as it is now...but can only drive unaccompanied on other roads.

Part two...an additional test on motorway driving. After you pass part one you can go on motorway but only with instructor and dual controls until you pass the second test.

Would work but the cost and admin element would be a pain!

"As I understand it Pass Plus is ONLY for people who have passed their test."

Oh yes I know that, was just saying as my daughter did it the following week after passing her test whereas I wasn't allowed to take it as I had passed mine the year before, perhaps there's an expectation that people who've passed their test over a certain number of months/years will have theoretically used the motorway

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3368268/Danger-ahead-learner-drivers-lessons-motorway-Plans-ensure-beginners-tackle-challenging-conditions-motorists-taught-bad-weather-night.html

"I passed my test in 1990... I always thought it was weird that they teach you how to drive yet don't bother to teach you how to park.

As for motorways... it should be part of the learning process but I always thought learners weren't allowed on the motorway... did that change?"

I had to learn parallel parking when I was taking lessons in 1996 and they brought in parking in car parks the year my daughter was taking lessons around 2004

Shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

Too many cars and poor drivers on the roads already.

I would of made everyone who wants the luxury of driving a car do a motorbike test first 30 years ago to quell the saturation of cars on the road.

Bikers make better drivers.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

This should be fun

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

I would of made everyone who wants the luxury of driving a car do a motorbike test first 30 years ago to quell the saturation of cars on the road.

"

Equally I'd make every learner driver ride a push bike as part of their test.

Equally I'd make every learner driver ride a push bike as part of their test.

"

That too.

i never learnt to park and im still not the greatest so i probably would have failed the test for that - but it was a long time ago and im a good driver - the first motorway trip was a hot under the collar moment but now i love it - miss nothing with 3 sets of eyes

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Advanced (PSV, HGV learners) can do so already. Having L plate drivers on motorways is not a good idea in my opinion, but I do think newly qualified drivers should have to go through some supervised motorway driving before being allowed onto them unsupervised.

I remember that when I learnt to drive the instructor offered a 2 hour motorway lesson once I'd passed my test, that was really useful, I'm sure most must do that now as well

When I first learned to drive I was in the US. We are allowed to go on the highways in the US with just a leaner permit. And we don't have to have big L plates on our car, so you never know who we are

I was on a highway in NYC in my third week of learning. It was intense but nothing bad happened. In my opinion, and this is speaking as an American, your country roads are much scarier than the motorways, yet learners can be there. I found that odd. Wouldn't it be better if learners went on the motorways while they still had their L plates so we all knew who was new to it?

And I'll note that while I was allowed on the highway with my learners permit, and I did go on quite a bit to practice, it wasn't something that was tested for. It's just that my aunt, who was teaching me, felt I had to learn so we did it.

-Courtney

Driving on motorways is really the safest form of driving and as most sit in middle lane and outer lane the inside lane or slow lane really is the safest place to be on it ,I think its good to learn it let's face it even people who've been driving for years are terrible drivers every bit of an insight you can get is good in my book

"i never learnt to park and im still not the greatest so i probably would have failed the test for that - but it was a long time ago and im a good driver - the first motorway trip was a hot under the collar moment but now i love it - miss nothing with 3 sets of eyes "

I don't know anyone that wasn't taught to drive as potentially part of your driving test could be to park... I struggle to park unless I reverse...

I thought they were already offering the motorway training as this was discussed a few years ago.

Hi, I drive for a living, motorways are bad enough as it is with drivers who don't know the rules of motorway driving.

Might be a good idea to have compulsory lessons once you've passed your test. Jim

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

There is no place on motorways for learners.

There is also no need for learners to drive on motorways as experience of motorway driving can be gained from dual carriageway driving.

It iis about time learners were taught how to drive rather than being taught how to pass their driving test.

"I heard on the radio this morning that learner drivers could have to drive on motorways as part of their lesson, I think it's a good idea as I was terrified driving on the motorway on my own at first, what bothers me is the amount of private instructors taking their students on the motorway without dual control systems in their cars.

What's everyone's thoughts on this subject?"

I never understand why people think the motorway is an issue.

It's no faster than a dual carriageway way when driving legally.

And they are the safest roads in the country less than 3% of accidents occur there. And most that happen are due to mechanical issues or visibility issues. Both of which would never affect accidents learner.

"

Not really 50 years time most motorists now will be dead or no longer driving. So they charge get testing conditions now and they eventually replace the whole stock of drivers

I learned on busy A roads. There was no difference between them and a motorway.

Best way to improve road safety though would be a strong cracking down on mobile phone use.

6 points 500 pound fine.

Actually pull people over when they see them doing it

Should scare the shot out of the idiots and get them to at least get a hands free kit rather than sit texting at the wheel

Wakefield

"

And they are the safest roads in the country less than 3% of accidents occur there. And most that happen are due to mechanical issues or visibility issues. Both of which would never affect accidents learner.

"

Learner drivers on a motoerway is an issue.

Not because of speed but because motorways are for people who know what they are doing.

Though top speeds are no different from dual carriageways for cars they are for other groups of vehicles in addition the average speed vehicles are driven at is higher on motorways.

As a result everyone on a motorawy needs to be competent in full control of their vehicle and have their wits about them at all times.

Anything less is an accident waiting to happen.

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

Passed my first test in Canada and at that time, Freeway driving, parallel parking and snow chain use were part of the test.

Times and conditions were different though, but I do think formal motorway training and assessment post test, should be mandatory.

"

Learner drivers on a motoerway is an issue.

Not because of speed but because motorways are for people who know what they are doing.

Though top speeds are no different from dual carriageways for cars they are for other groups of vehicles in addition the average speed vehicles are driven at is higher on motorways.

As a result everyone on a motorawy needs to be competent in full control of their vehicle and have their wits about them at all times.

Anything less is an accident waiting to happen.

"

Except that's completely untrue isn't it.

I'd say roughly every tenth car I pass on the motorway has the driver using their mobile phone.

The fact a bus or small lorry may be doing 70 rather than 60 like on a dual carrige way is not really a major difference is it?

I had a lesson on a busy A road and my test on the same stretch,during a busy time. Going faster is the issue,reading the road signs and having traffic merge,which all happens on large A roads. I find motorways stressful because of the speed of other drivers and them weaving in and out of lanes. I also don't like being boxed in by lorry drivers,which has happened to me a couple of times on motorways.

Once learners have passed they should have a compulsory 'complimentary' motorway lesson by the instructor...

My employer has just put everyone through a 'driving safety' course ... Theory and practical... My eyes were opened to a few things (I've been driving 19 years) certainly refreshed my outlook..... Would recommend this to anyone

All a good idea but if you live in Cornwall you would have to have a very long lesson as the nearest motorway is near Exeter Devon

Definately leaner drivers only no overweight ones.They cause all the tail backs.

"i never learnt to park and im still not the greatest so i probably would have failed the test for that - but it was a long time ago and im a good driver - the first motorway trip was a hot under the collar moment but now i love it - miss nothing with 3 sets of eyes

I don't know anyone that wasn't taught to drive as potentially part of your driving test could be to park... I struggle to park unless I reverse...

I thought they were already offering the motorway training as this was discussed a few years ago. "

think i was asked to pull over in a safe place- that was the only parking i did on the test

I think that it should be a secondary test. Make pass plus compulsory. Do usual test 1st, so that they can already drive, and are allowed on normal roads. then do a motorway course and test.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"think i was asked to pull over in a safe place- that was the only parking i did on the test"

Me too, however between that and reversing round a corner I had to show the skills required to park and the ability to find a safe place to park...

When I passed my driving test in Crewe 54 years ago the instructor said congratulations and now you can go out and learn to drive! Some years later on HGV driver training the instructor told me not to look where I was going but look where I was going to go!

All very good advice and I'm still learning. Many people pass their test but don't learn to drive.

"All a good idea but if you live in Cornwall you would have to have a very long lesson as the nearest motorway is near Exeter Devon "

I assume at some point in your life you might venture out of Cornwall ?

The skills learnt would stand you in good stead in any road not just motorways

I took a motorway lesson after I passed my test, it still scared the shit out of me but after that I knew what to expect.

Wakefield

"

The fact a bus or small lorry may be doing 70 rather than 60 like on a dual carrige way is not really a major difference is it?"

Which is why practice on a dual carriageway would be far more practical than on a motorway.

There are no benefits for a learner to drive on a motorway, lane discipline can be taught just as effectively on a dual carriage way as on a motorway.

Some of the instructors here in Wakefield need to learn how to use bus lane as they teach their learners not to use bus lanes outside of the lane operating period.

Perhaps things might change if instructors start being fined if their pupils do not comply with the traffic laws.

By *oretta DelamonteTV/TS  over a year ago

Birmingham

"I heard on the radio this morning that learner drivers could have to drive on motorways as part of their lesson, I think it's a good idea as I was terrified driving on the motorway on my own at first, what bothers me is the amount of private instructors taking their students on the motorway without dual control systems in their cars.

Plenty of legal'Learner drivers' on motorways anyway.lol

What's everyone's thoughts on this subject?"

» Add a new message to this topic