FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is this the season of goodwill?

Is this the season of goodwill?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *anchestercub OP   Man  over a year ago

manchester & NI

So I wake up and amble to the shop for some provisions (cigarettes).

Outside my building is a d*unk man muttering to himself as he stumbles along the footpath. Not an irregular sight in Manchester city centre.

5 minutes later I'm returning from the shop and the same man is lying face down, unconscious, in the middle of the street.

By the time it takes me to get to him (about 30 metres), 4 people pass him by and only one of them stops to look at him but then continues walking on.

I didn't have my phone on me as the shop is only across the road and so I rush home to phone for an ambulance.

I can't believe people just walk on by.

If that were my dad/grandad/uncle/brother etc etc - I'd like to think someone would make the trouble for a simple free phone call.

Ho Ho Ho!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"So I wake up and amble to the shop for some provisions (cigarettes).

Outside my building is a d*unk man muttering to himself as he stumbles along the footpath. Not an irregular sight in Manchester city centre.

5 minutes later I'm returning from the shop and the same man is lying face down, unconscious, in the middle of the street.

By the time it takes me to get to him (about 30 metres), 4 people pass him by and only one of them stops to look at him but then continues walking on.

I didn't have my phone on me as the shop is only across the road and so I rush home to phone for an ambulance.

I can't believe people just walk on by.

If that were my dad/grandad/uncle/brother etc etc - I'd like to think someone would make the trouble for a simple free phone call.

Ho Ho Ho! "

I expect some people thought "druken idiot" it's no excuse though to just ignore something like that.

I'd have stopped to make sure it was drink related! And not a attack of some sort! Then rang from the shop

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

OP this is not a comment or criticism aimed at you, you're clearly a caring person.

But in this season of indulgence we need to remember that not everyone who appears d*unk actually is. The classic one is a diabetic hypo, the sufferer will become uncoordinated, begin to slur their words and exhibit aggressive behaviour as they sink towards a potentially fatal coma. They will also have breath that smells like nail polish remover which to many will smell like alcohol breath.

There are also a variety of other reasons for people to be showing altered behaviour. Fortunately it's mild at the moment but hypothermia can also cause altered behaviour.

Add in the peer pressure to over indulge and the despair and loneliness many feel at this time of year and by doing what the OP did you could well be saving a life.

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

It's really sad people don't want to get involved if someone appears in trouble. I would have phoned for help and stayed with him. Well done OP.

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Sadly in Manchester and a dare say most big town it's the norm.

I remember a couple of years back I was driving down a Rd near my home and this poor old bloke took a fall just in front of my car so I pulled up placing my car right in front of him so he couldn't be hit by anyone else's car got out started helping him up and ended up fighting in the Rd with this not right because my car was in his way. It's a mad world we live in

We all inhabit this earth, this is our home, there is no such thing as an observer, you have to get involved, or your taking up valuable space

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

My mum collapsed in the walk way tunnel from the plane to the airport lounge once and the other passengers walked round her. She was fully conscious it was a problem with her leg.

For every tale of kindness and compassion, there is another where someone ended up assaulted (sometimes violently) or worse, stabbed, for trying to be a good Samaritan.

That's the world we live in, where going out of your way to help can end up costing your dearly. People walk in many cases because they feel they cannot put themselves in harms way and risk life-changing injuries.

Sad, but true.

"For every tale of kindness and compassion, there is another where someone ended up assaulted (sometimes violently) or worse, stabbed, for trying to be a good Samaritan.

That's the world we live in, where going out of your way to help can end up costing your dearly. People walk in many cases because they feel they cannot put themselves in harms way and risk life-changing injuries.

Sad, but true. "

» Add a new message to this topic