FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Bloody rip off mechanics.

Bloody rip off mechanics.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So I already know what's wrong with my car, need the lambda sensor replacing. I hate going under cars, unless on proper ramps, so today popped into 3 garages, to see how much to do it. Bare in mind the part is around 45-60 quid. Been quoted £180, £230 and £260, by these 3 garages. It's not even a 20 minute job. All 3 places tried to tell me there was more wrong with the car that needed doing for my own safety.

There is nothing else wrong. I've had it on diognostics and been all over it. Fucking con artists!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I do as much of my own as i can, if you have the time you can save yourself a fortune

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"So I already know what's wrong with my car, need the lambda sensor replacing. I hate going under cars, unless on proper ramps, so today popped into 3 garages, to see how much to do it. Bare in mind the part is around 45-60 quid. Been quoted £180, £230 and £260, by these 3 garages. It's not even a 20 minute job. All 3 places tried to tell me there was more wrong with the car that needed doing for my own safety.

There is nothing else wrong. I've had it on diognostics and been all over it. Fucking con artists!"

Did all three tell you different things were wrong?

I'm sure somebody posted a thread like this a while ago

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

Always pays if you know someone.

I'm fortunate I know a mechanic at work who does mine for a fraction of what it would cost going to a garage.

Replaces and fits minor things like bulbs for free for me.

I do, just only have road parking and don't like going under jacked up cars. So for such a quick and simple job I thought it would be easier to pop to a garage than find somewhere to put it on ramps.

"Always pays if you know someone.

I'm fortunate I know a mechanic at work who does mine for a fraction of what it would cost going to a garage.

Replaces and fits minor things like bulbs for free for me."

I do that myself!

They'll charge a minimum of 1 hour labour regardless but those prices are a rip off considering its just a replacement sensor.

By *errygTV/TS  over a year ago

denton

exhaust sensor modern cars are full of them, some sensors may need the computer to reset the system, as i believe eng man light if on will fail mot, also been told the car makers charge garages for the programmes for the computer this is then passed to customer

"So I already know what's wrong with my car, need the lambda sensor replacing. I hate going under cars, unless on proper ramps, so today popped into 3 garages, to see how much to do it. Bare in mind the part is around 45-60 quid. Been quoted £180, £230 and £260, by these 3 garages. It's not even a 20 minute job. All 3 places tried to tell me there was more wrong with the car that needed doing for my own safety.

There is nothing else wrong. I've had it on diognostics and been all over it. Fucking con artists!

I'm sure somebody posted a thread like this a while ago "

Yeah all different things and a load of waffle. 1 was blatantly trying to scare me saying these things need doing, you don't want your precious little 1 in an unsafe motor. Prick. I know my motors safe!

If you were close I'd do it for you.

Trade price for lambda sensors are around 22 quid..depending where you go...x

"exhaust sensor modern cars are full of them, some sensors may need the computer to reset the system, as i believe eng man light if on will fail mot, also been told the car makers charge garages for the programmes for the computer this is then passed to customer"

Disconnecting the battery resets my engine management light.

Shame your not nearer fruit, got most tools to hand here. Bloody con merchants. X

I can do it, and going to now! I thought it would be easier for garage to pop it over the pit and do it. But I'm not being mugged. Makes me damn cross, I have basic knowledge of mechanics, but lots of people done and trust garages.

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

The average garage/mechanic sees women as easy pickings.

Not on.

Kwik fit are the worst for this. Tried to rip me off for a whole new exhaust when it was just a clip that had broken. They got quite insistent I pay them £300.

There is nothing else wrong. I've had it on diognostics and been all over it. Fucking con artists!"

ah well.. get the ramps out

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yeah all different things and a load of waffle. 1 was blatantly trying to scare me saying these things need doing, you don't want your precious little 1 in an unsafe motor. Prick. I know my motors safe! "

They try it on with women. I can understand you not wanting to go under it jacked up. Hope you find someone to do it.

Found ramps to borrow so just waiting on the part, out 9f stock a the place I use for parts so doing it on Monday. X

By *eepster69Man  over a year ago

Dumfries

Most cars have two lambda sensors. One in the manifiold and one at the catalyst. Most have too small a head on the probe to get a spanner on so require a special socket that goes over the leads.

Depending on the car the multi-plug for the probe may well be slightly harder to get at. Some VW's for example require the undertray to be removed and then it is hidden in a plastic box.

If the fault remains in the memory, it requires the fault to be removed using our expensive bits of diagnostic equipment.

I don't hold with ripping people off. But for all the tools I need to do my job I have shelled out £Thousands.

Yeah all different things and a load of waffle. 1 was blatantly trying to scare me saying these things need doing, you don't want your precious little 1 in an unsafe motor. Prick. I know my motors safe! "

Pisses me off when a garage thinks they can get away with scaring people into being fleeced. A lamda sensor measures the oxygen content in the exhaust and uses the values to tune the engine to keep emissions down. Without it the computer will just go 'open loop' where it calculates an approximate oxygen content from all the other sensor information. At worst you might burn a bit more fuel and fail emissions. If you can get to it easily it's a ten minute job to replace. The ECU might still keep the fault code in its log but it should just pick up the new readings and carry on. There's not much more valuable in life than finding a mechanic you trust.

Iv got a couple of mechanics I trust, but both hundreds of miles away atm. Luckily they've both shown me how to do plenty for myself. X

"Most cars have two lambda sensors. One in the manifiold and one at the catalyst. Most have too small a head on the probe to get a spanner on so require a special socket that goes over the leads.

Depending on the car the multi-plug for the probe may well be slightly harder to get at. Some VW's for example require the undertray to be removed and then it is hidden in a plastic box.

If the fault remains in the memory, it requires the fault to be removed using our expensive bits of diagnostic equipment.

I don't hold with ripping people off. But for all the tools I need to do my job I have shelled out £Thousands."

The cost of tools is no excuse for conjuring up imaginary faults to charge me a stupid amount for. Iv no problem with paying a decent rate, parts and VAT. My problem is their lack of ethics and morals.

Yeah all different things and a load of waffle. 1 was blatantly trying to scare me saying these things need doing, you don't want your precious little 1 in an unsafe motor. Prick. I know my motors safe!

They try it on with women. I can understand you not wanting to go under it jacked up. Hope you find someone to do it."

they try it on with men too. They failed the mot on dodgy wheel bearings. I jacked up car and they were fine. Took it to another garage and it passed

When I have cause to go to a garage I don't normally use,,I tend to stay and watch..any discrepancy and my inspector card comes out.

my heart bleeds. ha ha ha

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

It of a long shot

Is there a DIY garage nearby, they supply the tools and parts, (if needed), you supply the Labour.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"When I have cause to go to a garage I don't normally use,,I tend to stay and watch..any discrepancy and my inspector card comes out. "

You evil bugger lol.

" It of a long shot

Is there a DIY garage nearby, they supply the tools and parts, (if needed), you supply the Labour."

Not that I know of, would be great! I can raid my brothers tools, but a safe place to work is what I'm lacking.

"my heart bleeds. ha ha ha"

And the award for pointless Unnecessary comment of the day award goes to...

I'll fix it for you I'm sure we can arrange monthly payments

"I'll fix it for you I'm sure we can arrange monthly payments "

Thanks, but I'll stick to plan A which was do it myself.

Sometimes they can be a real pain to extract if seized in, so i've had to use oxy to get them out. Luckily they rarely snap but not unknown.

Also the wiring plug can be anywhere.

I used to invite people to watch their MOT being done but most people have no interest, and always ask if they DIY but most don't now.

"I'll fix it for you I'm sure we can arrange monthly payments

Thanks, but I'll stick to plan A which was do it myself. "

So you should , we don't use garages don't trust them . Get it done

By *irceWoman  over a year ago

Gloucester

"exhaust sensor modern cars are full of them, some sensors may need the computer to reset the system, as i believe eng man light if on will fail mot, also been told the car makers charge garages for the programmes for the computer this is then passed to customer

Disconnecting the battery resets my engine management light. "

Going to try that, £80 I have been charged for that privilege and the fault not fixed...I want a car with no computer management...grrrrrr.

The fault code is just that, a decent mechanic ( not just a fitter) should use it as a guide to the cause not symptom.

Eg lambda sensors do burn out over time but using a crap oil or lack of servicing accelerates that process.

So meny people could avoid problems but it's not fashionable to so it seems.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

This reminded me of the first time I heard of a Lambda Sensor.

"You need a Lambda Sensor" said the mechanic. "Does he play for Juventus" was my reply.

After that I was buying one nearly every month, mostly for Vauxhalls.

"The fault code is just that, a decent mechanic ( not just a fitter) should use it as a guide to the cause not symptom.

Eg lambda sensors do burn out over time but using a crap oil or lack of servicing accelerates that process.

So meny people could avoid problems but it's not fashionable to so it seems."

The car is x plate. Bloody good condition for age, but things like this to be expected.

if you use facebook - look under your local buy sell swap page - and see if anybody has a ramp or pit you could use - for a small fee - maybe a lot less than you have been quoted - but do the work yourself

Costa Blanca Spain...

One of the biggest beefs I had with mechanics was the time they used to charge for some jobs.

I had an ICME manual that gave the times for pretty much every job on every car. So if I thought something was being over charged I would look it up.

For example the mechanic would have charged me for say 3 hrs but the book would say 1.5 hrs.

When questioned he would say something like "oh we've never done one of those before so it took longer". To which I would reply "It's not up to me to pay for your education" and I paid for 1.5 hrs.

[Removed by poster at 10/12/15 21:12:42]

Dumfries

"One of the biggest beefs I had with mechanics was the time they used to charge for some jobs.

I had an ICME manual that gave the times for pretty much every job on every car. So if I thought something was being over charged I would look it up.

For example the mechanic would have charged me for say 3 hrs but the book would say 1.5 hrs.

When questioned he would say something like "oh we've never done one of those before so it took longer". To which I would reply "It's not up to me to pay for your education" and I paid for 1.5 hrs."

'Book' times are all very good on a brand spanking new car, With no seized bolts or no rusted bolts rounded off.

Get one rounded off seized bolt and that can add 2 hours to a job. A sensible competent mechanic won't quote a price on old cars for this reason.

"One of the biggest beefs I had with mechanics was the time they used to charge for some jobs.

When questioned he would say something like "oh we've never done one of those before so it took longer". To which I would reply "It's not up to me to pay for your education" and I paid for 1.5 hrs."

Just curious did you ever time yourself against those jobs?

The reason I ask is they are a guide and the ones I read were laughably missing ageing, damage or corrosion.

Also the one I read seemed to be written for LHD cars, so some parts under the dash are blocked by the steering column for example.

Like a cabin filter on a Fiat 500/Ford Ka

I can't comment on your specifics but sometimes customers have been watching a little too much wheeler dealers and think we're out to rip them off as they've seen it on youtube

Dumfries

".

The cost of tools is no excuse for conjuring up imaginary faults to charge me a stupid amount for. Iv no problem with paying a decent rate, parts and VAT. My problem is their lack of ethics and morals."

I totally agree there, There are always bad pennys in every industry sadly.

Nearly as expensive as bicycle mechanics

"Nearly as expensive as bicycle mechanics "

What? Do these really exist or is that a joke?

Everyone ( girls included) used to have to ruin 2 spoons to fix a puncture back as a kid.

By *lacksausageMan  over a year ago

Birmingham Airport

I'm afraid that's how the world is. Can't win them all...... how much single guys pay to enter springs to mind.

I feel your pain.

Costa Blanca Spain...

When questioned he would say something like "oh we've never done one of those before so it took longer". To which I would reply "It's not up to me to pay for your education" and I paid for 1.5 hrs.

Just curious did you ever time yourself against those jobs?

The reason I ask is they are a guide and the ones I read were laughably missing ageing, damage or corrosion.

Also the one I read seemed to be written for LHD cars, so some parts under the dash are blocked by the steering column for example.

Like a cabin filter on a Fiat 500/Ford Ka

I can't comment on your specifics but sometimes customers have been watching a little too much wheeler dealers and think we're out to rip them off as they've seen it on youtube "

I has 25 years selling cars, mostly under 5 years old so hardly rusty old crap. When they told me that the was sometimes a seized up bolt or whatever I would maybe scowl a bit but accept it. But when told that it took longer because "they had never done that job before" I didn't see why I should have to pay for their lack of experience.

While it wasn't a very common occurrence it did happen a little too often for my liking, and I'm not just talking about one particular mechanic. In 25 years I used quite a few.

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

"exhaust sensor modern cars are full of them, some sensors may need the computer to reset the system, as i believe eng man light if on will fail mot, also been told the car makers charge garages for the programmes for the computer this is then passed to customer

Going to try that, £80 I have been charged for that privilege and the fault not fixed...I want a car with no computer management...grrrrrr. "

The mod cons of today great when they work, but more to go wrong my dad had a morris minor and traveler Along with other cars of that period and thou good cars most of the time I Can often remember the bonnet up with Steam comeing out or something else was wrong .. a fan belt would go etc but none of this IT business to make things more complicated and a money spinner for the garages, it seems the more you spend nowdays the more there is to go wrong.

Going to try that, £80 I have been charged for that privilege and the fault not fixed...I want a car with no computer management...grrrrrr. The mod cons of today great when they work, but more to go wrong my dad had a morris minor and traveler Along with other cars of that period and thou good cars most of the time I Can often remember the bonnet up with Steam comeing out or something else was wrong .. a fan belt would go etc but none of this IT business to make things more complicated and a money spinner for the garages, it seems the more you spend nowdays the more there is to go wrong."

This is why I like older cars!

Dumfries

"

The mod cons of today great when they work, but more to go wrong my dad had a morris minor and traveler Along with other cars of that period and thou good cars most of the time I Can often remember the bonnet up with Steam comeing out or something else was wrong .. a fan belt would go etc but none of this IT business to make things more complicated and a money spinner for the garages, it seems the more you spend nowdays the more there is to go wrong."

A moneyspinner for main dealers certainly. By and large a new car is considerably cheaper by comparison to even 10 years ago. You don't think they were going to lose money? They make it up in the workshop.

Sadly it means independents like us have to invest in more and more expensive equipment to keep up to date.

For instance the batteries in a lot of your modern cars with stop/start use a more advanced battery. Some now require programming into the car (another £300 piece of kit) and are hidden in the depths requiring an hours labour to change. When we turn round and say that will be £200 to supply and fit a battery for a family car, the public think we are ripping them off.

If you need a hand

Give me a shout

"If you need a hand

Give me a shout "

Thankyou!

Depends which lambda it is (pre or post cat), either way it's a simple enough job unless you buy a pattern part and the wiring needs to be altered (usually simple).

If you were closer I'd have said to pop it round to me at the weekend and I'll do it.

"Nearly as expensive as bicycle mechanics

What? Do these really exist or is that a joke?

Everyone ( girls included) used to have to ruin 2 spoons to fix a puncture back as a kid. "

checkout hallfords web site for prices

I'd hate to ask how much it would cost to fix electronic gears on me racer

"Depends which lambda it is (pre or post cat), either way it's a simple enough job unless you buy a pattern part and the wiring needs to be altered (usually simple).

If you were closer I'd have said to pop it round to me at the weekend and I'll do it."

It's post cat, so hoping it's not rusty and welded itself on!

This is why I stick to my trusted old Land Rover...basic,but easy to work on...and it's worth more now than what I paid for it..win win win

"Depends which lambda it is (pre or post cat), either way it's a simple enough job unless you buy a pattern part and the wiring needs to be altered (usually simple).

If you were closer I'd have said to pop it round to me at the weekend and I'll do it. It's post cat, so hoping it's not rusty and welded itself on! "

Liberal application of Plusgas (not WD4) 24hrs before and keep a blow torch handy and it'll come free.

Big wrench.

"Big wrench. "

And some choice swear words...

"Big wrench.

And some choice swear words... "

Doesn't look like a lot of manoeuvring room for that, and I'd like to avoid the blow torch!

"Big wrench.

And some choice swear words...

Doesn't look like a lot of manoeuvring room for that, and I'd like to avoid the blow torch!"

You'll be wanting the tool of infinite persuasion then...

A hammer!

Bigger hammer. More swearing

By *rivingforceMan  over a year ago

yorkshire

Bet its a corsa

"Bet its a corsa "

Nope

"If you were close I'd do it for you.

Trade price for lambda sensors are around 22 quid..depending where you go...x"

Not always, trade price for my car was an eye watering £117+vat!!

Nearly puked!

There are some that are a rip off however there are some that are brilliant and I use specific places that I know won't rip me off

"If you were close I'd do it for you.

Trade price for lambda sensors are around 22 quid..depending where you go...x

Not always, trade price for my car was an eye watering £117+vat!!

Nearly puked!

"

I'm guessing that £22 was for a non-genuine part. They're the ones you have to cut the wiring plug off and solder directly to the loom only to find the voltages don't read properly and you then have to shell out again for a genuine part and fixing the wiring.

When it comes to sensors in cars the old rule of 'buy cheap, buy twice' most definitely still applies.

Ask around friends or on Facebook someone will know a decent garage

By *oy man 2Man  over a year ago

g

all my customers are very happy with the service they get from me, they even pass my no on to there freinds, i never riped off anyone and norm putting right jobs that halfords and others fuck up.if in essex give me call.

Going to try that, £80 I have been charged for that privilege and the fault not fixed...I want a car with no computer management...grrrrrr. The mod cons of today great when they work, but more to go wrong my dad had a morris minor and traveler Along with other cars of that period and thou good cars most of the time I Can often remember the bonnet up with Steam comeing out or something else was wrong .. a fan belt would go etc but none of this IT business to make things more complicated and a money spinner for the garages, it seems the more you spend nowdays the more there is to go wrong.

This is why I like older cars!"

I love older cars, there's something that's just oddly attractive about them.

However anyone that's ever stood behind an old escort when you've fired her up.... Jesus the stench is horrendous!

With the Internet/Motoring forums and YouTube around these days help is always on hand, worth trying to do minor stuff yourself if you feel confident.

" However anyone that's ever stood behind an old escort when you've fired her up.... Jesus the stench is horrendous! "

Are we still talking cars here?

" However anyone that's ever stood behind an old escort when you've fired her up.... Jesus the stench is horrendous!

Are we still talking cars here? "

I'm one of those weirdos that laugh at there own jokes

"If you need a hand

Give me a shout

Thankyou! "

I'm just pleased you can do your own repairs, unlike some Men and woman, who can just about adjust the interio Mirror

Going to try that, £80 I have been charged for that privilege and the fault not fixed...I want a car with no computer management...grrrrrr. The mod cons of today great when they work, but more to go wrong my dad had a morris minor and traveler Along with other cars of that period and thou good cars most of the time I Can often remember the bonnet up with Steam comeing out or something else was wrong .. a fan belt would go etc but none of this IT business to make things more complicated and a money spinner for the garages, it seems the more you spend nowdays the more there is to go wrong.

This is why I like older cars!.

I love older cars, there's something that's just oddly attractive about them.

However anyone that's ever stood behind an old escort when you've fired her up.... Jesus the stench is horrendous! "

Disconnecting the battery clears nothing. The fault codes will still be stored in the ECU until they're deleted.

The most likely reason your engine light has gone out is that whatever caused it in the first place was simply a 'blip' caused by any number of things. On most makes of cars the light will go out by itself after a predetermined number of fault free starts (the fault will, however be stored).

They're called warning lights for a reason- if it showed a £ sign instead more people would take note

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

Sadly it's a common thing for many mechanics to rip off women. I've got a great mechanic and loads of women tend to go there because we know we don't get ripped off.

As someone who barely remembers to give the car oil, if it's a fault I don't know anything about I call my rescue service and act dumb. They tell you what it is so then you can face a mechanic armed with knowledge.

» Add a new message to this topic