FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ahhh new tyres!

Ahhh new tyres!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Four new hankook tyres fitted for £240 well happy with that!

Was gonna go for winter tyres but some people swear by them, other say they're not really worth it. Opinions from anyone who's used them?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

[Removed by poster at 25/11/15 19:42:51]

225/45/17

Helps when youre not buying them through quick fit or even black circles.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No more skid marks.

[Removed by poster at 25/11/15 19:59:59]

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Four new hankook tyres fitted for £240 well happy with that!

Was gonna go for winter tyres but some people swear by them, other say they're not really worth it. Opinions from anyone who's used them? "

Mine were £700

Winter tyres wear out really quickly when used on dry roads.

Was gonna go for winter tyres but some people swear by them, other say they're not really worth it. Opinions from anyone who's used them?

Mine were £700 "

Bloody hell!! What for?

Had a Range Rover salesman once try tell me the tyres they use, Pirelli scorpions if I remember correctly are £250 each....he wasn't impressed when I told him no thanks I can get them for less than £110 each

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Being more of a biker kinda guy, they are pretty much essential rather than a luxury during the winter months

By *irkby coupleCouple  over a year ago

Kirkby

"225/45/17

Helps when youre not buying them through quick fit or even black circles. "

I bought 4 toyo proxies for my old Astra in April, £65 each, I fitted them myself. They were the exact same size, great tyre. I'm sure Hancock used to be a budget tyre

I paid considerably less for 4 225/40/18's last week. It helps to have friends in the trade.

I have never seen the need for winter tyres all my cars have coped fine through the winter on RainSport's.

The secret is actually knowing how to drive in poor conditions rather than falsely relying on tyres.

By *icked weaselCouple  over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

Cost a Fortune but the guy in the Garage said they were The Best !!!

Bought 4 of the French Finest "R`emould Speciale" the other day..

My fronts are 225 45 18s - expensive

"225/45/17

Helps when youre not buying them through quick fit or even black circles.

I bought 4 toyo proxies for my old Astra in April, £65 each, I fitted them myself. They were the exact same size, great tyre. I'm sure Hancock used to be a budget tyre"

I've looked them up and they're classed as a mid range tyre brand who are very close to becoming premium. Their quality has improved dramatically since 2012 according to what I've read.

I've had budget tyres, yokohamas, pirellis, Michelin and they all seem to last around 10,000 on the front, the Pirellis were very good for grip and the yokohamas I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

By *apillonNoirWoman  over a year ago

There...

"I paid considerably less for 4 225/40/18's last week. It helps to have friends in the trade.

I have never seen the need for winter tyres all my cars have coped fine through the winter on RainSport's.

The secret is actually knowing how to drive in poor conditions rather than falsely relying on tyres. "

^^ this. I recently had 2 new front tyres fitted as I knew mine were getting to the end of their life. I drive 86 miles to work and 86 miles home most days. It's not my tyres that stop me having an accident most days...

"Cost a Fortune but the guy in the Garage said they were The Best !!!

"

well he would..

Some very good prices on tyre leader, cheaper than black circles

Mine were £700

Bloody hell!! What for?

Had a Range Rover salesman once try tell me the tyres they use, Pirelli scorpions if I remember correctly are £250 each....he wasn't impressed when I told him no thanks I can get them for less than £110 each "

I think there is an awful lot of bullshit surrounding tyres.

Mercedes wanted £216 for a Continental 245/40/19.

Purchased a Michelin instead for half the price on tyreleader.

Decent tyres do make a huge difference in ride quality, noise and grip compared to cheap tyres. Worth spending the extra ££ imho

By *irkby coupleCouple  over a year ago

Kirkby

"

I think there is an awful lot of bullshit surrounding tyres."

Put some bargain basement land sail or triangle tyres on your car and go for a drive, then swap them for mid range tyres, then decide if it's bull shit

Was gonna go for winter tyres but some people swear by them, other say they're not really worth it. Opinions from anyone who's used them? "

Winter tyres not worth it imo. Weather not severe enough. Hankooks wear pretty quick from experience but at £240 for 4 you can't grumble.

"

Put some bargain basement land sail or triangle tyres on your car and go for a drive, then swap them for mid range tyres, then decide if it's bull shit"

This is why I've tried a different brand every time I've needed new ones, there is definitely a big difference.

Pirelli would be my choice from the ones I've tried out so far.

Was a tyre fitter for a number of years. Winter tyres arnt that beneficial to be honest. Once the deep tread has been packed with snow and ice, they react in much the same way as standard tyres. Simple, careful driving is the way.

Uniroyal rainsport 2's amazing in the wet dry and snow

By *icky999Man  over a year ago

warrington

geeks

"

Put some bargain basement land sail or triangle tyres on your car and go for a drive, then swap them for mid range tyres, then decide if it's bull shit"

I have driven on expensive tyres that have worn badly/dangerously, and plenty of budget priced tyres that have performed OK.

There isn't really much difference of your going for continental ou may aswell have matador there made in the same place there basically the same.

OP if im honest you paid 100 to much, 4 Kenda at 22.50 each and 10 per tyre fitted

Hankook and Kenda arnt much different

Given the fact that nowadays we only have a hatful of snow, I'll leave the tyres on the car that are already on thank ya very much. If I decide to go to Austria or Switzerland maybe I'll think again. I've driven for over 30 years in winters worse than this and never found the need to piss about swapping tyres yadda yadda yadda - I'm still alive having never crashed or otherwise damaged my car due to 'poor road adhesion' caused by snow and ice.

"There isn't really much difference of your going for continental ou may aswell have matador there made in the same place there basically the same.

OP if im honest you paid 100 to much, 4 Kenda at 22.50 each and 10 per tyre fitted

Hankook and Kenda arnt much different "

I'm curious as to where you're getting tyres at £22.50

I got them from friend who owns a garage and he got them me at cost price plus fitting plus a new valve since one of the dust caps had fully siezed on.

No complaints at the price for four tyres, personally I don't think I would even consider a tyre at £22.50....it's Gotta be cheap for a reason.....

Cost price is way cheaper mate, I can get any tyre any size mate

Starting with 155 excelon for about 13 pound

Up to 295 contisportcontact6 for 400+

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

if you live in the midlands and get about 5 minutes of snow a year then probably no point but if you live in the arse end of nowhere 1000 foot up a mountain then winter/snow tyres make a massive difference. that's what i've found anyway.

"if you live in the midlands and get about 5 minutes of snow a year then probably no point but if you live in the arse end of nowhere 1000 foot up a mountain then winter/snow tyres make a massive difference. that's what i've found anyway. "

We live 850foot up a hill lol

Becomes a scrap yard when people try drive down in bad conditions....its 25% incline!

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

"if you live in the midlands and get about 5 minutes of snow a year then probably no point but if you live in the arse end of nowhere 1000 foot up a mountain then winter/snow tyres make a massive difference. that's what i've found anyway.

Becomes a scrap yard when people try drive down in bad conditions....its 25% incline! "

in that case i highly recommend winter/snow tyres .... but low profile tyres don't perform anywhere near as well in the snow as narrower tyres with a taller wall.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

My new car came with Continentals fitted, and they have lasted twice as long as the tyres I normally have - Dunlop or Goodyear or whatever midrange name seems chepest........but the traction is TOTAL rubbish, every time I pull away a bit sharp they spin! I should make a note of some of these names.....

"if you live in the midlands and get about 5 minutes of snow a year then probably no point but if you live in the arse end of nowhere 1000 foot up a mountain then winter/snow tyres make a massive difference. that's what i've found anyway.

Becomes a scrap yard when people try drive down in bad conditions....its 25% incline!

in that case i highly recommend winter/snow tyres .... but low profile tyres don't perform anywhere near as well in the snow as narrower tyres with a taller wall. "

I'm not stupid enough to attempt to go down it, it's got an awful twist right at the bottom which is where people tend to wall up, i did ok last year on Pirelli P zeros which were ready for replacement.

My insurance went up £300'when we moved here due to all the crashes just a bit further down

I have a Ford Kuga 4x4 and need 2 new front tyres. Currently have Hankooks on, and they have been ok.

Anyone have a 4x4 and can recommend decent tyres? I do 15k miles per year, mainly motorway, but need good grip in the wet in the Devon countryside.

Black Circles seem to be a good price fitted. Any other online sites that offer tyres+fitting that you can recommend?

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

Prefer super dragon corsa's but that is on an R6

By *mooth tongue 4uMan  over a year ago

edinburgh

I recently bought four winter tyres

Four coopers for £139

And got four fitted for a tenner

Great tyres in wet winter months

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

"I have a Ford Kuga 4x4 and need 2 new front tyres. Currently have Hankooks on, and they have been ok.

Anyone have a 4x4 and can recommend decent tyres? I do 15k miles per year, mainly motorway, but need good grip in the wet in the Devon countryside.

Black Circles seem to be a good price fitted. Any other online sites that offer tyres+fitting that you can recommend?"

Reifen used to be cheap but the exchange rate has chopped the savings out if it, Camskills are always doing good deals but with either if them you need to slip the fitter for fitting them

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Needed a couple for the front of my `52 Discovery on 18" rims. Best deal was through Asda! Two Avons fitted, balanced, new valves and disposal of the old tyres for about £80 each!

"Prefer super dragon corsa's but that is on an R6"

A biker chick!

» Add a new message to this topic