FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > don't you just love them

don't you just love them

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *andK OP   Couple  over a year ago

Norfolk

Computers that is, just taken from 10:48 to 11:21 to get flamming well logged in. I think this one is likely to find that big place in the sky soon for discarded laptops!!!

But if I did how would I join my favourite community every day?

what a dilemma

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

dont you have a snazzy smart phone that you can get online with??

Norfolk

"dont you have a snazzy smart phone that you can get online with??"

only if I get a signal and where we live thats impossible and I'm not going to take my deck chair to the top of the hill in the pooring rain!!!! pmsl

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"dont you have a snazzy smart phone that you can get online with??

only if I get a signal and where we live thats impossible and I'm not going to take my deck chair to the top of the hill in the pooring rain!!!! pmsl"

see - no commitment

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Get one of those mini laptops, very portable!

I opted for a 17in one when I needed to replace mine, as I like to watch DVDs when I am away camping.

Otherwise I would have gone for a mini one.

Norfolk

"Get one of those mini laptops, very portable!

I opted for a 17in one when I needed to replace mine, as I like to watch DVDs when I am away camping.

Otherwise I would have gone for a mini one. "

are you gonna buy it for me Pearl?

"Get one of those mini laptops, very portable!

Otherwise I would have gone for a mini one.

are you gonna buy it for me Pearl? "

Eh, no!

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

blooming heck Pearl - what happened to care in the community?? poor lad is fooked without his lappy, now get that credit card out!!

Norfolk

"blooming heck Pearl - what happened to care in the community?? poor lad is fooked without his lappy, now get that credit card out!!"

Thank you _muma at least some one cares - Luv you xxxxx

"Computers that is, just taken from 10:48 to 11:21 to get flamming well logged in. I think this one is likely to find that big place in the sky soon for discarded laptops!!!

But if I did how would I join my favourite community every day?

what a dilemma

"

Is that because it is taking ages to start up? If so a few things you can do to speed it up (assuming windows computer).

* Look at all the stuff running in the system tray (next to the clock in the bottom right). Do most of these need to be running? If not turn them off.

* Is your computer memory or CPU limited, meaning which are you running out of - Look in task manager (right click on bar at bottom and select "start task manager") and view the "performance" tab. top left green bar shows CPU load, if its close to 100% a lot of the time your CPU is been over loaded. For memory the bottom left bar tells you how much is been used. To know how much you have installed look at "Physical Memory (MB)" below and the "Total" field (divide by 1000 to convert to GB).

If you are running out of memory this is your problem usually as the computer starts to use the hard drive as "pretend" memory, which is several orders of magnitude slower than real memory.

* Figuring out what is using all the cpu/memory. In task manager go to the "Processes" tab. Make sure the "Show processes from all users" is checked at the bottom. This shows everything running on your computer. Find the ones that are using the most memory/cpu (you can order by clicking on the column heading) - ignore the system idle process. To know what program the process actually is, just type the name into google.

* What antivirus are you running? I have found AVG has got slower with each version and consumes a lot of memory. Switching to avast improved things.

*msconfig. go to start and type "msconfig" or in windows xp start, click run and then type msconfig, then enter.

This program will show you what windows runs when you startup your computer. Click on the startup tab. You'll find loads of crap in here that doesn't need to run. For instance Adobe Reader and Acrobat manager. If you are unsure you can google to find out if it is ok to turn it off.

I did all this for a neighbours laptop which they where going to throw out and spend several hundred pounds on a new one, doing the above made it almost like new!

I also fitted another 1GB (1024MB) of RAM as it only had 0.5GB originally and one facebook game was using nearly 500MB of memory! That only cost £13 from amazon.

So be careful about throwing out that PC/Laptop when all you need to do is get rid of some crap running on it or spend ~£20 on some more memory - the latter is usually the case as shops still insist on selling computers with too little RAM in them! (don't confuse RAM memory with hard disk storage which will be 300GB or something like that).

Cheers!

I had the same and having got someone to check, my memory was low so got my son to buy me some, 1 gb now, i can log on before the kettle has boiled for a cup of coffee unlike before when i could make a 3 course meal

Norfolk

Thanks EILongo I'll give it a try

Heh, exactly. I think it is a ploy by manufacturers and shops to get people to buy a whole new one.

Windows XP, you want at least 1GB, 2GB would be nice.

Windows 7 2GB at least, but 4GB is nice, although if you are only running a 32 bit version of the OS you can only have a max of ~3GB. (should say 32 or 64 bit if you right click my computer-properties)

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Ok bearing in mind im a woman...i like shoes n cooking, in laymans language....how do i use a smartphone and what do i need ?

Norfolk

"Ok bearing in mind im a woman...i like shoes n cooking, in laymans language....how do i use a smartphone and what do i need ? "

as you said, you're a woman, I wouldn't even try if I was

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Ok bearing in mind im a woman...i like shoes n cooking, in laymans language....how do i use a smartphone and what do i need ?

as you said, you're a woman, I wouldn't even try if I was "

i have had it explained to me a hundred times i just thought is it was written down i might understand it better

"Ok bearing in mind im a woman...i like shoes n cooking, in laymans language....how do i use a smartphone and what do i need ?

as you said, you're a woman, I wouldn't even try if I was i have had it explained to me a hundred times i just thought is it was written down i might understand it better "

Ya can read now?? xx

"Ok bearing in mind im a woman...i like shoes n cooking, in laymans language....how do i use a smartphone and what do i need ? "

iPhone or Android... I think a blackberry might be good also. Just walk into your local phone store... Have a mooch around and when an assistant asks you if you need any help reply in a very loud voice "yes I do... can I log into Fabswingers on this handset?" (using a new laughing face I have just learnt!!!)

dirtybigbadsgirlville

iPhone or Android... I think a blackberry might be good also. Just walk into your local phone store... Have a mooch around and when an assistant asks you if you need any help reply in a very loud voice "yes I do... can I log into Fabswingers on this handset?" (using a new laughing face I have just learnt!!!) "

Soapy - shut ya trap! x

Hmmmmmmmm i will ponder said explaination fankoo xx

dirtybigbadsgirlville

How do ya use tinternet phones then ? What would i need for that?

I don't believe you are woman, come over and prove it!

Internet on smart phones, like the iPhone on an android based phone is simply go to the supplied browser and use as per normal. Although of course some sites go weird but most work ok.

Some phones may just have a "web" application or something.

Also bear in mind the data costs, check your phone contract to see if there are limits and what the cost is if you go over these.

ta

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

iPhone or Android... I think a blackberry might be good also. Just walk into your local phone store... Have a mooch around and when an assistant asks you if you need any help reply in a very loud voice "yes I do... can I log into Fabswingers on this handset?" (using a new laughing face I have just learnt!!!) Soapy - shut ya trap! x

Hmmmmmmmm i will ponder said explaination fankoo xx"

got baseball bat ready for him Femme xxxx

» Add a new message to this topic