FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Light Bulb

Light Bulb

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *awandOrder OP   Couple  over a year ago

SW London

Mr has got a fixation with light bulks this weekend. He bought one which changes colour every three seconds and has installed it as our main bedroom bulb - so its too dark for me to see anything when I get up. Now he has changed the hallway light bulk for a 100 watt one with no shade. I am flummoxed .....

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Every 3 seconds? That sounds a bit trippy

SW London

To be honest I did not notice it was changing at first, just knew something was different about the room. Its on a remote control too. I think he has too much time on his hands

Good gravy that's a tad like a discotheque

SW London

A silent disco

By *uessWhosBackAgainMan  over a year ago

London

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We have a pink bulb in our bedroom a leftover from the previous owner it's very odd and very dark.

I remember when turning on the bedroom light used to make me squint first thing in the morning. Now with these shitty energy saving bulbs it hardly makes a difference.

Do my head in! Anyone got a stash of traditional 100 watters they don't want!?

"To be honest I did not notice it was changing at first, just knew something was different about the room. Its on a remote control too. I think he has too much time on his hands"

I've one of these in the bathroom. It's utterly useless. The early morning half light is brighter. But, when you're in the bath with thr colour phase mode on its just fabulous.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I remember when turning on the bedroom light used to make me squint first thing in the morning. Now with these shitty energy saving bulbs it hardly makes a difference.

Do my head in! Anyone got a stash of traditional 100 watters they don't want!?"

I'm with you on that, you need to turn the light on a fortnight before you need it

SW London

"I remember when turning on the bedroom light used to make me squint first thing in the morning. Now with these shitty energy saving bulbs it hardly makes a difference.

I'm with you on that, you need to turn the light on a fortnight before you need it "

I turn it on and off again because I dont think it is on ....

Do my head in! Anyone got a stash of traditional 100 watters they don't want!?"

I've got quite a few but they're all bastard screw fit and my lights are bayonet fitting....

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

The one at the top of my stairs does my head in since it takes so long. And I am klutzy at the best of times so going downstairs on a dark morning before I've remembe_ed to put my glasses on is frankly a danger. I need a head torch.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm with you on that, you need to turn the light on a fortnight before you need it

I turn it on and off again because I dont think it is on ...."

If you want to read in bed you need to turn it on a good half an hour before you need it, I wonder how efficient they really are at saving energy.

This thread has been enlightening.

I've got quite a few but they're all bastard screw fit and my lights are bayonet fitting...."

Aw I'll have em next time you're dahn sarf

You can get instant brightness bulbs. None of that waiting a week for it to get bright.

I have a 100 watt one.

By *ohnaronMan  over a year ago

london

We will all be round.

Many hands makes light work

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"You can get instant brightness bulbs. None of that waiting a week for it to get bright.

I have a 100 watt one.

"

Blimey can you? Where would I find these wondrous things I'm sick of wandering about in semi darkness

"You can get instant brightness bulbs. None of that waiting a week for it to get bright.

I have a 100 watt one.

"

Where, where, where!?! Not only are all my bulbs shit, they cost about 6 fcuking quid each as well

I want a colour changing one now

I think the pound shop sells the blow your retinas out type bulbs

SW London

He got it from screwfix. Other retailers may or may not sell it ....

By *ohnaronMan  over a year ago

london

Only 100 want trad bulbs in poundland were screw fit.

SW London

Colour changing one was at screwfix, sorry

Lakeland are doing a discoball light bulb

"Colour changing one was at screwfix, sorry"

Ta

I have a 100 watt one.

Blimey can you? Where would I find these wondrous things I'm sick of wandering about in semi darkness "

I've been for a look at the box.. on a Saturday night... rock n roll.

I was wrong sorry. It's 70 watt, equivalent to 91 watt traditional old style. From Asda.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

I've got quite a few but they're all bastard screw fit and my lights are bayonet fitting...."

Buy an adapter of Amazon for a couple of quid.

Liiiiight Bullllllb.

-Gru.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I have a 100 watt one.

Blimey can you? Where would I find these wondrous things I'm sick of wandering about in semi darkness

I was wrong sorry. It's 70 watt, equivalent to 91 watt traditional old style. From Asda. "

That'll do for me, thank you.

My glittering evening has consisted of watching reality t.v. while making a cosy for the cafetiere.

"This thread has been enlightening."

I have a 100 watt one.

I was wrong sorry. It's 70 watt, equivalent to 91 watt traditional old style. From Asda.

My glittering evening has consisted of watching reality t.v. while making a cosy for the cafetiere. "

Do you have knitted doll skirt covers for your bog rolls too?

SW London

My actual highlight of the evening was ordering my daughter a snow leopard dressing gown, onesie and slippers from amazon .... not even for Christmas, but as a little something as it started snowing ... and hubby had got her some lights for her room, after all ... hey, wait a minute, him and his lights ....

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I have a 100 watt one.

My glittering evening has consisted of watching reality t.v. while making a cosy for the cafetiere.

Do you have knitted doll skirt covers for your bog rolls too? "

Of COURSE not, what do you take me for?

They're cute poodles and they're crochet.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"My actual highlight of the evening was ordering my daughter a snow leopard dressing gown, onesie and slippers from amazon .... not even for Christmas, but as a little something as it started snowing ... and hubby had got her some lights for her room, after all ... hey, wait a minute, him and his lights ...."

It's an obsession .

Snow leopard dressing gown sounds cosy

I've got quite a few but they're all bastard screw fit and my lights are bayonet fitting....

Buy an adapter of Amazon for a couple of quid."

Ooh I didn't know such things existed!

I have a 100 watt one.

Do you have knitted doll skirt covers for your bog rolls too?

Of COURSE not, what do you take me for?

They're cute poodles and they're crochet. "

SW London

"My actual highlight of the evening was ordering my daughter a snow leopard dressing gown, onesie and slippers from amazon .... not even for Christmas, but as a little something as it started snowing ... and hubby had got her some lights for her room, after all ... hey, wait a minute, him and his lights ....

It's an obsession .

Snow leopard dressing gown sounds cosy "

The slippers are like fur boots, they are totally amazing, I bet they will fit me .... we were at a club a few weeks ago and someone was wearing a onesie, it sort of shocked us (being the parents of teenagers and normally keeping our own onesie wearing as a bedroom secret) but apparently its a sign of being sexually liberated, wearing a onesie to a club????

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"My actual highlight of the evening was ordering my daughter a snow leopard dressing gown, onesie and slippers from amazon .... not even for Christmas, but as a little something as it started snowing ... and hubby had got her some lights for her room, after all ... hey, wait a minute, him and his lights ....

It's an obsession .

The slippers are like fur boots, they are totally amazing, I bet they will fit me .... we were at a club a few weeks ago and someone was wearing a onesie, it sort of shocked us (being the parents of teenagers and normally keeping our own onesie wearing as a bedroom secret) but apparently its a sign of being sexually liberated, wearing a onesie to a club????"

Sexually liberated eh. I reckon by the time you'd got out of the onesie any sexiness would be well and truly liberated

What's wrong with candles?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"What's wrong with candles? "

Nothing if you burn about 4,000 at a time

SW London

They are on our list for home base tomorrow, unless there is going to be an impromptu Croydon Ikea meet?? The one we had was burning funny, massive flame, something wrong with the wick, which set the fire alarm off ... hence the need for the 100watt bulb, so we need a few new ones.

SW London

It's an obsession .

The slippers are like fur boots, they are totally amazing, I bet they will fit me .... we were at a club a few weeks ago and someone was wearing a onesie, it sort of shocked us (being the parents of teenagers and normally keeping our own onesie wearing as a bedroom secret) but apparently its a sign of being sexually liberated, wearing a onesie to a club????

Sexually liberated eh. I reckon by the time you'd got out of the onesie any sexiness would be well and truly liberated "

I should start a onesie thread but its too late now

Forum Mod

East Sussex

It's an obsession .

Sexually liberated eh. I reckon by the time you'd got out of the onesie any sexiness would be well and truly liberated

I should start a onesie thread but its too late now"

Do it! I'm not qualified

"What's wrong with candles?

Nothing if you burn about 4,000 at a time "

You wouldn't need the heating on

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"What's wrong with candles?

Nothing if you burn about 4,000 at a time

You wouldn't need the heating on "

That's true but I'd be up all night blowing the darn things out

SW London

It's an obsession .

Do it! I'm not qualified "

Not qualified??

Forum Mod

East Sussex

It's an obsession .

Do it! I'm not qualified

Not qualified??"

I've never owned one

By *rinking-in-laCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

I'm with you on that, you need to turn the light on a fortnight before you need it "

If you buy cheap lamps you get poor light.

That said the lamps available from any supermarket are nothing like you describe. Simply do some research add pay a couple of quid for your lamps and they will give plenty instant light.

By *andom2chatMan  over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

"Lakeland are doing a discoball light bulb "

I saw one in Portugal that lit up the ceiling like a mirrorball & so wanted to buy it but was a screw-in fitting (& I don't have screw-in lamps). I may have to look up the Lakeland website.

SW London

It's an obsession .

Do it! I'm not qualified

Not qualified??

I've never owned one "

Think how liberated you would be if you did, though ....

Forum Mod

East Sussex

If you buy cheap lamps you get poor light.

That said the lamps available from any supermarket are nothing like you describe. Simply do some research add pay a couple of quid for your lamps and they will give plenty instant light."

These are bulbs and I'm not sure how much they cost but they came from a supermarket and cost a couple of quid. I saw some today for about £8 maybe I need to buy them

Forum Mod

East Sussex

It's an obsession .

Do it! I'm not qualified

Not qualified??

I've never owned one

Think how liberated you would be if you did, though ...."

By *isdirtygirlCouple  over a year ago

somewhere out there

Look on Amazon. You can buy bulb adapters.

somewhere out there

"Mr has got a fixation with light bulks this weekend. He bought one which changes colour every three seconds and has installed it as our main bedroom bulb - so its too dark for me to see anything when I get up. Now he has changed the hallway light bulk for a 100 watt one with no shade. I am flummoxed ....."

Don't let him find out about Philips Hue bulbs. Change colours, can be turned on and off remotely and can also respond to triggers like text messages coming in can make them flash a particular color.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"They are on our list for home base tomorrow, unless there is going to be an impromptu Croydon Ikea meet?? The one we had was burning funny, massive flame, something wrong with the wick, which set the fire alarm off ... hence the need for the 100watt bulb, so we need a few new ones."

Well I was told my uncle painted a lightbulb _ed back in the 1970's, must have wanted it to look groooovy maaaaan, only when it got hot the paint melted, dripped and burnt a hole in the carpet.

SW London

"Mr has got a fixation with light bulks this weekend. He bought one which changes colour every three seconds and has installed it as our main bedroom bulb - so its too dark for me to see anything when I get up. Now he has changed the hallway light bulk for a 100 watt one with no shade. I am flummoxed .....

Don't let him find out about Philips Hue bulbs. Change colours, can be turned on and off remotely and can also respond to triggers like text messages coming in can make them flash a particular color."

I think this is similar to the one we have

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

How many members of Fab does it take to change a light bulb?

99 singles guys all moaning that the bulb is in the wrong room, wrong shape, wrong colour or they have to go to the shop to fetch it.

25 couples who can't agree on which bulb they want to use.

5 single ladies who have 99 bulbs to pick from.

1 Tgirl upset that the bulb isn't leopard print effect.

Q: How many Freudians does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: 2...... One to hold the bulb and one to hold the penis --- er, I mean, the ladder

somewhere out there

OP I think I may me going through something similar to your other half. I've been on a bulb buying spreefof late. Amazon and Homebase have made loads of me. I also bought a load of led bulbs from Poundland to bring over to Spain. Was a bargain as the exact same ones here are ten euros a pop.

SW London

Maybe its an area of growth for new products, with the festive season coming up .... Mr is bemused to all the attention this morning. He does not come on the forums ....

somewhere out there

"Maybe its an area of growth for new products, with the festive season coming up .... Mr is bemused to all the attention this morning. He does not come on the forums ...."

Smart lighting is the way forward. Smart bulbs like the Hue and Wemo ones aren't cheap but you can integrate them into home automation systems like Smartthings very easily.

But it's probably too geeky a subject for a chilly Sunday afternoon. Time to find food I think!

"OP I think I may me going through something similar to your other half. I've been on a bulb buying spreefof late. Amazon and Homebase have made loads of me. I also bought a load of led bulbs from Poundland to bring over to Spain. Was a bargain as the exact same ones here are ten euros a pop."

How much were they in Poundland....?

Buy an adapter of Amazon for a couple of quid."

Or asda do them too

"OP I think I may me going through something similar to your other half. I've been on a bulb buying spreefof late. Amazon and Homebase have made loads of me. I also bought a load of led bulbs from Poundland to bring over to Spain. Was a bargain as the exact same ones here are ten euros a pop.

How much were they in Poundland....?"

A penny more than the 99p store

SW London

"OP I think I may me going through something similar to your other half. I've been on a bulb buying spreefof late. Amazon and Homebase have made loads of me. I also bought a load of led bulbs from Poundland to bring over to Spain. Was a bargain as the exact same ones here are ten euros a pop.

How much were they in Poundland....?"

The pound shop never ceases to amaze me with its prices

By *icky999Man  over a year ago

warrington

did I just imagine every science doc and news item of 1992 being about bulbs that would last 15-20 years?

I change more bulbs than black pool council

How on earth a bulb half made of plastic and filled with fluorescent powder is better for the environment god only knows. It probably takes more energy to produce one "energy saving" light bulb than a standard edison type would ever use.

somewhere out there

"How on earth a bulb half made of plastic and filled with fluorescent powder is better for the environment god only knows. It probably takes more energy to produce one "energy saving" light bulb than a standard edison type would ever use. "

Energy saving bulbs are on the way out I think. Led is def the way forward. They use less power and don't need the silly warm up that energy saving bulbs need. The Poundland ones are pretty good light wise they are definitely better than the energy savers o had in before. Time will tell whether they last as long add they claim to.

Bristol

Don't use LED in the bedroom.

The white light from an LED contains much more blue light than fluorescent bulbs and affects sleep patterns according to quite a reasonable amount of research. The same problem as with phone and computer screens.

As for energy saving fluorescent lamps costing a fortune to make and lots of energy making them not worth it. That is simply untrue. They use a tenth of the energy of an incandeacent or even less than halogen.

True they are filled with gas, which is difficult to do, but so are incandescent lamps. They are filled with Argon to stop them exploding due to the heat of the tungsten element.

Remember that you cannot create energy. An incandescent lamp or a halogen are too hot to touch. Yet a fluorescent can usually be touched. This means they are converting much less energy into heat and therefore more into light which is what we want.

It is a no brainer that you should not use incandescent or halogen lamps. Simply moaning about compact fluorescent energy saving lamps shows that someone is a luddite and prefers to believe popular hype from idiots with a drum to bang than any sort of common sense approach to conservation of a precious resource. (Energy)

I sleep with the lights off.

SW London

Bump. For a poster on another thread, so you can see my light bulb thread ....

Our fancy light bulb has been requisitioned by the seventeen year old so I have bought some battery operated candles instead .... not sure if these are a good idea, but they have been sitting boxed on the stairs for almost a week.

"How on earth a bulb half made of plastic and filled with fluorescent powder is better for the environment god only knows. It probably takes more energy to produce one "energy saving" light bulb than a standard edison type would ever use. "

Have you conside_ed actually looking at. Ooohhh I dunno, factual evidence!!

Instead of relying on your intrusion and feelings!

somewhere out there

"Bump. For a poster on another thread, so you can see my light bulb thread ....

Our fancy light bulb has been requisitioned by the seventeen year old so I have bought some battery operated candles instead .... not sure if these are a good idea, but they have been sitting boxed on the stairs for almost a week. "

I went on a buying spree lately. I now have voice activated lighting as well. Pressing buttons is so yesterday!

This has reminded me to seek out my underwater colour changing bath light for a bath tonight

Bristol

"How on earth a bulb half made of plastic and filled with fluorescent powder is better for the environment god only knows. It probably takes more energy to produce one "energy saving" light bulb than a standard edison type would ever use. .

Instead of relying on your intrusion and feelings!"

Idiot. Have you any idea how forums work? If people did not make ridiculous sweeping statements about subjects they clearly know little about these forums would be bare.

By *edMan  over a year ago

cambridgeshire

If I've told you once.. I've told you a million times not to exaggerate..

"How on earth a bulb half made of plastic and filled with fluorescent powder is better for the environment god only knows. It probably takes more energy to produce one "energy saving" light bulb than a standard edison type would ever use. .

Instead of relying on your intrusion and feelings!

Idiot. Have you any idea how forums work? If people did not make ridiculous sweeping statements about subjects they clearly know little about these forums would be bare."

Each to their own. Hugs xx etc..

somewhere out there

"This has reminded me to seek out my underwater colour changing bath light for a bath tonight "

I'm about to do the bathroom up in my flat in Spain. I would love to have put some really funky color changing lighting into the shower.

» Add a new message to this topic