FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > mp3, cd or vinyl ?

mp3, cd or vinyl ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Good evening Fabbers , Forumites and friends.

Its a dark and soggy evening here . Pooch and I have had a quick trip out. We didn't meander too long as Pooch is in need of new galoshes.

So we have once again lit the fire. Its warming glow filling the room with dancing shadows .

We have popped an LP on the record player . The music is filling the dark spaces in the room. Soft and warm.

We are two happy bunnies now we once again have a record player.

We have heaps of downloads , css and lps .

We decided we love vinyl the best.

So this evenings question.

Do you prefer mp3, cd or vinyl? Or doesn't it mater?

Taffy and Pooch

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm a CD man.

Taff, since my old Linn deck died a few years ago and I couldn't afford to renew i went on an extended vinyl hiatus. Id say that now, I'm happy with CD/mp3 type platform!

"Taff, since my old Linn deck died a few years ago and I couldn't afford to renew i went on an extended vinyl hiatus. Id say that now, I'm happy with CD/mp3 type platform! "

A linn deck , heaven . You must miss it .

I have about a thousand cds , heaven knows how many downloads. Luckily I never sold off my vinyl when I changed to cds . I must admit that I do adore my ipod too

I prefer old school put now we've gone all high tech, I guess MP3

"Taff, since my old Linn deck died a few years ago and I couldn't afford to renew i went on an extended vinyl hiatus. Id say that now, I'm happy with CD/mp3 type platform!

A linn deck , heaven . You must miss it .

I have about a thousand cds , heaven knows how many downloads. Luckily I never sold off my vinyl when I changed to cds . I must admit that I do adore my ipod too "

I lucked out! Many moons ago I did some work for them and got a deal on an old control deck they had in the lab. Had it for a couple of years before it finally died (i think it had been driven really really hard!!)

By *uperock99Man  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

My whole music collection is now in mp3, got rid of clutter & gathering dust, is also easy to access at a click of a button on any divice that plays mp3's

car, phone etc etc

Vinyl but mp3s great when ya lying in the countryside riding a nice trail or riverside path on a sunny afternoon

California dreams on a winter's day hit the spot today

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

All on iPod. The rare records we kept, the cd's all boxed up in case the computer crashed (iCloud hadn't been invented) so 1000's of songs on MP3. My old cassette player was a Nakamichi dragon and awesome but I'm a download dude these days.

MP3. There's no physical clutter with these.

In fact i don't purchase anything digital any more, don't even download it either, because i can get access to everything for free on the internet.

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

FLAC. Mp3 is an abomination.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

Spotify, lost all my music

Each has it merits. I'm very much enjoying the vinyl resurgence. I'm a big fan of PledgeMusic and have had some beautiful pieces of vinyl sent by some great bands. Lots of thought and effort put into the presentation.

"FLAC. Mp3 is an abomination."

Sorry yes u have FLACs too the players are going to be expensive though

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I have about 75 vinyl albums which I still play occasionally, about 50 cassette tapes and about 100 cds which I have transferred to ma pc.

There is a much richer sound when playing ma records, but it's a pain in the arse having to jump up and change it every 20 mins or so

"FLAC. Mp3 is an abomination.

Sorry yes u have FLACs too the players are going to be expensive though "

SanDisk sansa zip+, £35

SanDisk sansa zip+, £35"

In fact, get an old blackberry phone, they'll play flac!

By *kindofmagicXXXMan  over a year ago

Bristol

CDs that most off which on iPod. still got loads of vinyl and cassettes that I won't part with.

SanDisk sansa zip+, £35"

I will have a look cheers

i use my cd's but just started collecting vinyl again after giving all my vinyl away about 30 years ago.i dont own an mp3 player and ptobably never will

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I like to own a CD though I rip them to mp3 for convenience

By *obyn GravesTV/TS  over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

mostly copied cds,, do have vinyl but haven't listened in years as it's all copied onto discs,,,

By *onyneMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

All of them, each in their many thousands...as long as I can hear the music I don' mind what format

I use play tube through a Bluetooth connection in my car so guess that counts as an MP3

Looking to get some speakers for the house. Got a spare 1500watt subwoofer I could wire up and run that through Bluetooth

Used to have a pretty decent CD collection but they all kept getting scratched in the car

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Spotify and Sonos here.

Well it's probably odd for someone of my age but vinyl.

I love going back in time reading about music.

For everything chart though Spotify for me well worth a tenner a month

By *ean99Man  over a year ago

plymouth

"Good evening Fabbers , Forumites and friends.

Its a dark and soggy evening here . Pooch and I have had a quick trip out. We didn't meander too long as Pooch is in need of new galoshes.

So we have once again lit the fire. Its warming glow filling the room with dancing shadows .

We have popped an LP on the record player . The music is filling the dark spaces in the room. Soft and warm.

We are two happy bunnies now we once again have a record player.

We have heaps of downloads , css and lps .

We decided we love vinyl the best.

So this evenings question.

Do you prefer mp3, cd or vinyl? Or doesn't it mater?

Taffy and Pooch "

It's got to be vinyl all the way you can't beat the crackle of a vinyl and it's better for mixing in my eyes?...

I am a vinyl girl x

"

It's got to be vinyl all the way you can't beat the crackle of a vinyl and it's better for mixing in my eyes?..."

Couldn't you just wear glasses

Just expanding my led Zepp collection on vinyl. An absolute steal at Amazon at the moment.

By *MaleMan  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 07/02/16 20:39:03]

Vinyl, still have my aiwa stack system that gets used quite often at weekends, sound quality is far more superior than digital.

Always been a vinyl girl

By *MaleMan  over a year ago

I've a silly amount of vinyl so only ever going to say vinyl as I love the sound it pumps out.

That's not to say I don't have any CD's, downloads etc.

I have a small collection of LP's and 7 and 12 inch singles, but nothing to play them on at the moment...

I used to have a large collection of CDs but I sold most of them when I moved house a couple of years ago...

now I just use my what's on my iPhone and amazon music but more often than not I listen to the radio anyway

I stream all my music and I only buy downloads

"I stream all my music and I only buy downloads "

You have my deepest sympathy.

"I stream all my music and I only buy downloads

You have my deepest sympathy."

Vinyl was crap even when it was the only option. Tapes were worse. Cd's were better but still a pain.

I love having everything on my phone plus downloading podcasts, listening to radio on demand etc. The only thing I don't like about digital is the thing of it not necessarily actually belonging to you.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

I love vinyl.. Considering getting a beo player to go with my beomaster 901 I just found ... All my music is in my car on a 16 GB stick .. Love Spotify for everything else

I still buy the odd CD for something I really like after I've downloaded it and had a good listen.

I use my phone and sansa player to listen to music on the go in mp3 format so I keep my music all ripped to my pc as well.

I got a couple of boxes of CDs out of storage before the weekend and been listening to the rock stuff that I loved during my teens and twenties and that I just can't get anywhere else now. Spent the weekend playing and ripping stuff for my collection and its funny how the moment I hear a lot of this stuff it brings back memories of times and places in a flash.

I do buy the occasional cd, but I tend to stream my music online these days. Spotify, Apple Music etc.. Vinyl abit before my time.

By *mojeeCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

I grew up with vinyl but let's face it the quality isn't very good so it's crystal quality modern downloads for me. As much as I like the old stuff newer is definitely better regarding quality and definitely not the so called music these days

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

Have all types of format!! Deck is an old b&o beocentre with technics cd player and tape deck going through sherwood av reciever too many cds,tapes and vinyl..stopped counting years ago

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

"Always been a vinyl girl "

*smiles at images formed due to furtive imagination*

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

everything is data, i got rid of all dvd cds vhs, saves alot of space in the house. dont even need a dvd/cd/vhs/bluray player. so mp3 for me on this

"everything is data, i got rid of all dvd cds vhs, saves alot of space in the house. dont even need a dvd/cd/vhs/bluray player. so mp3 for me on this"

Who needs a woman when you can just have a wank......

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

everything i own has always been on mp1 played on a pair of technics 1210's which as everyone knows is the greatest mp1 player ever made.

it's a massive collection stretching back 35 years or so with heaps of promos, white labels (was getting sent roughly 100 a week for around 20 years)sent by promo companies and record labels when i was working in the industry.

it's purely mp1's for me

Vinyl

With a old school stack systems. Absolutely love lolistening to music this way!!

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

You cannot beat vinyl for sound and quality,unfortunatly need a new deck but the albums are waiting to warm my soul again.

So pleased they are making a comeback

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

It makes little difference what form your music is stored in or how good your audio equipment is. The idea that vinyl is warmer and better than CD's or MP3's is a fallacy.

There is only 1 rule, if you put shit in you get shit out! Crap, warped, scratched, dirty or worn out vinyl gives poor sound.

By *olyCheshireCatMan  over a year ago

Cheshire

I'm a DJ so it's obviously vinyl all the way. Wicky wicky wah!

All, I love music, and each platform has something to offer, do I'm not the type of guy who will only stick to one.

I love the warmth of a 12" platter, I love the compact simplicity of cds, and I live the portability of mp3, for those that are swearing off mp3, good luck taking 600+ albums on a long haul flight in your carry on.

If you lobe music, you have to move with the times, but that's not to say you can't have the past too, I still have a big collection if cassettes, and I had a little dabble with both 8 track and mini disk but they don't do.much for me.

"All, I love music, and each platform has something to offer, do I'm not the type of guy who will only stick to one.

I love the warmth of a 12" platter, I love the compact simplicity of cds, and I live the portability of mp3, for those that are swearing off mp3, good luck taking 600+ albums on a long haul flight in your carry on.

If you lobe music, you have to move with the times, but that's not to say you can't have the past too, I still have a big collection if cassettes, and I had a little dabble with both 8 track and mini disk but they don't do.much for me."

my master only listens to vinyl he has about 4 thousand albums plays them on an acoustic research deck

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

It's a question of sound quality; as well as convenience: digital is excellent for portability; and convenience and the sound is very clear;

However digital is processed sound; it loses many of the subtle harmonics, much of the warmth of the tones, and in the case of the crap formats like MP3, clips a lot of sound off the top and bottom of the range, and removes a lot of the internal harmonics;

Vinyl is analogue, so quality vinyl retains the richness of the sound , as well as the frequencies at both ends;

There is a world of difference listening to a classical symphony on vinyl and digital. Likewise classic rock.

Since all of modern music has only ever been recorded digitally, there is no comparison, yet I have several classic orchestral recordings on original vinyl, and my 70s Rock , as well as the digitally remastered versions.

Whilst the digitals are very clear; the vinyls have a tonality, harmonic and depth that the digitals cannot come close to. ( this is not MP3, this is the proper full digital version.

MO 3, of course, liars a lot of sound because it removes a lot of the data in order to compress the sound file )

So for daily lists

harmonics and

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"my master only listens to vinyl he has about 4 thousand albums plays them on an acoustic research deck "

In storage I have a Lynn 8 amp valve amp, a mission cyrus pre and power amp, Marantz 8001SA CD player, An ex radio 1 turntable with a Decca arm and 1.3 gram tracking MM cartridge.

All played through a pair of isolated Lynn hylex speaker or a set mid 80's Sennheiser headphones.

And I still say no matter how good your equipment is it is still a case of shit in shit out!

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

"It's a question of sound quality; as well as convenience: digital is excellent for portability; and convenience and the sound is very clear;

However digital is processed sound; it loses many of the subtle harmonics, much of the warmth of the tones, and in the case of the crap formats like MP3, clips a lot of sound off the top and bottom of the range, and removes a lot of the internal harmonics;

Vinyl is analogue, so quality vinyl retains the richness of the sound , as well as the frequencies at both ends;

There is a world of difference listening to a classical symphony on vinyl and digital. Likewise classic rock.

Since all of modern music has only ever been recorded digitally, there is no comparison, yet I have several classic orchestral recordings on original vinyl, and my 70s Rock , as well as the digitally remastered versions.

Whilst the digitals are very clear; the vinyls have a tonality, harmonic and depth that the digitals cannot come close to. ( this is not MP3, this is the proper full digital version.

MO 3, of course, liars a lot of sound because it removes a lot of the data in order to compress the sound file )

So for daily lists

harmonics and "

saying that, i know a lot of producers and engineers who have shelved their digital desks in the last 10 years and got the old analouge kit out when it comes to recording analouge instruments. digital desks have their place but using the old kit has it's merits also. horses for courses as it were.

By *olyCheshireCatMan  over a year ago

Cheshire

A lot of it is to do with mastering, mastering for cutting to vinyl is an absolute art form, if you get it wrong it sounds shit. An mp3 can be 'mastered' in a bedroom studio and sound great on a set of monitors but crap on a big sound rig for example. And there's whole compression/loudness wars business. Analogue ftw

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

I still use mini discs

:o

Just bought a top end b&o portable Bluetooth speaker and it is amazing.. so now I just stream and listen to mp3's...

Harry x

» Add a new message to this topic