FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What is the country coming too

What is the country coming too

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *plpxp2 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

From the BBC site:

A driver prosecuted for flashing his headlights to warn motorists of a mobile police speed gun has defended his actions as his "civic duty".

Michael Thompson, 64, was pulled over by officers in Grimsby in July after warning several oncoming cars.

He was fined £175 and ordered to pay £250 costs after being found guilty of wilfully obstructing a police officer in the course of her duties.

Thompson said: "I flashed motorists to warn them of a hazard."

Thompson, of Augustine Avenue, Grimsby, was also ordered to pay a £15 victim surcharge at the hearing at Grimsby Magistrates' Court.

Amazingly CPS decided it was in the public interest to prosecute and give a 64 year old public spirited gentleman a criminal record

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

An ambulance driver who refused to go to the aid of a woman who died of a heart attack because he was on his tea break has been told he can keep his job.

XXXXX was suspended from duty after he “chose” not to respond to a 999 call when XXXXX was taken ill just “two minutes” from his depot

but thankfully he is getting more training as a condition to keeping his job...

By *heWolfMan  over a year ago

warwickshire

He should have said that he was reminding motorists not to break the law by speeding, he would have done it if there had been a speed trap there or not.

Anyway, flashing your lights, according to the Highway Code, is just to let other road users know of your presence. He actually should have kept his mouth shut and let the Filth PROVE his intention in a court of law. I guarantee they'd have slithered back under their rock.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"He should have said that he was reminding motorists not to break the law by speeding, he would have done it if there had been a speed trap there or not.

Anyway, flashing your lights, according to the Highway Code, is just to let other road users know of your presence. He actually should have kept his mouth shut and let the Filth PROVE his intention in a court of law. I guarantee they'd have slithered back under their rock."

The 'filth'?

So do you consider them 'The filth' if and when they may come to your aid in an emergency?

And before you say you can look after yourself.....you can never be sure.

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

I don't agree with flashing your lights to warn people about speed cameras - if they're speeding they deserve to be fined - how would you feel if one of your family was mown down by a speeding mototist? Would it then be 'why isn't enough being done to stop speeders?' You can't have it all ways! Z

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"He should have said that he was reminding motorists not to break the law by speeding, he would have done it if there had been a speed trap there or not.

Anyway, flashing your lights, according to the Highway Code, is just to let other road users know of your presence. He actually should have kept his mouth shut and let the Filth PROVE his intention in a court of law. I guarantee they'd have slithered back under their rock.

The 'filth'?

So do you consider them 'The filth' if and when they may come to your aid in an emergency?

And before you say you can look after yourself.....you can never be sure."

I have to agree with you totally on that Jane. I might not be a huge fan of the boys in blue but on the whole they do a difficult job. Never an excuse to refer to them as that, and can i point out many people don't need them because they can look after them self but we nearly all have an elderly relative that cant.

warwickshire

"The 'filth'?

And before you say you can look after yourself.....you can never be sure."

No, of course not, I'm like every other person, they are "filth" when speed-trapping, and "our brave bobbies, the thin blue line" when they are jumping into frozen lakes to rescue dogs.

I have double standards, I know that, and I'm at peace with it.

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Not the first time I've been grateful to someone for flashing me as a warning.

"The 'filth'?

No, of course not, I'm like every other person, they are "filth" when speed-trapping, and "our brave bobbies, the thin blue line" when they are jumping into frozen lakes to rescue dogs.

I have double standards, I know that, and I'm at peace with it. "

Speak for your self i don't ever call them that. So its not every other person. And if you speed and get nicked more fool you, personally i take what i get but then again i have witnessed a couple of pretty bad accidents with people who think its cool to right foot floor it.

Torquay

"The 'filth'?

I have double standards, I know that, and I'm at peace with it. "

First of all they are employed to uphold the law of the land, they have no part in bringing in those laws....they just enforce them as the main role in their job.

And for your information (being a South London girl) 'The Filth' is a reference to 'bent coppers', or corrupt police officers. It was written into the TV show 'The Sweeney' as a throw away line used by criminals to refer to police officers in general.....and it was incorrect.

I am not always a fan of the police or their working habits, but I find the term 'filth' to refer to a police officer doing a job you personally may not like (speeding etc.) to be crass.

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

Anyway, flashing your lights, according to the Highway Code, is just to let other road users know of your presence. He actually should have kept his mouth shut and let the Filth PROVE his intention in a court of law. I guarantee they'd have slithered back under their rock."

Exactly..good point.

And a decent brief should have advised him to go down that route...and whats the difference between what he did and when the ol bill erect temporary 'speed check area' signs?

Just bad luck on the being caught by a arsole of a traffic cop..(whats the chances of that eh? )

Im surprised they didnt search him to see if he was carrying a banana with intent to eat it..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

now i rember why i dont usualy look in forums

"now i rember why i dont usualy look in forums"

I am not surprised! You must be cross-eyed with your balls strapped up that tight!

Torquay

"now i rember why i dont usualy look in forums

I am not surprised! You must be cross-eyed with your balls strapped up that tight! "

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

There is no question that they have to face a lot of awful awful situations..the majority of them are ordinary decent guys who _iew the bad eggs with distain...get pulled by a good one and your ok...get pulled by snide one and your in trouble...as they go out of their way for a nick.

Luckily the good turns the ol bill do far outweigh the bad ones..

(unless your a newspaper salesman caught up in the middle of a riot in central London that it)

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

There was also the case of the lady who was drugged at a pub and in 15 minutes went from lucid to almost comatose.. The "Paramedic" lady was convinced that the patient was d*unk and left her.. She was rushed into hospital by her husband who had come to pick her up and treated..

The Paramedic was sent for "retraining" but that was all.. I know all this because it was Mrs Rumour and the hospital said she had nearly died!

Never been one to extol the virtue of our "heros in uniform" because they are ordinary people who have chosen to do a job. BUT...

On more than one occasion I have been glad they made that career choice. Yes, I have been caught speeding... My fault not theirs, but they have also retrieved my stolen car. I have been transported by ambulance and have been cut from a vehicle by the fire service..

Where would any of us be without them?

warwickshire

"The 'filth'?

Speak for your self i don't ever call them that. So its not every other person. And if you speed and get nicked more fool you, personally i take what i get but then again i have witnessed a couple of pretty bad accidents with people who think its cool to right foot floor it. "

Ah well, I've never actually met a real-life Saint like yourself, but if it's not "every other person" it'll certainly be the vast majority of otherwise law abiding citizens who don't stoically take their speeding ticket on the chin without a bad word for that pesky policeman scamp who nicked them.

Mind you, I can't decide whether you are saying you never speed because you have witnessed accidents, or that you DO speed and are too clever to get nicked.

[Removed by poster at 04/01/11 23:25:53]

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"There was also the case of the lady who was drugged at a pub and in 15 minutes went from lucid to almost comatose.. The "Paramedic" lady was convinced that the patient was d*unk and left her.. She was rushed into hospital by her husband who had come to pick her up and treated..

The Paramedic was sent for "retraining" but that was all.. I know all this because it was Mrs Rumour and the hospital said she had nearly died!

Never been one to extol the virtue of our "heros in uniform" because they are ordinary people who have chosen to do a job. BUT...

On more than one occasion I have been glad they made that career choice. Yes, I have been caught speeding... My fault not theirs, but they have also retrieved my stolen car. I have been transported by ambulance and have been cut from a vehicle by the fire service..

Where would any of us be without them?"

The rest of us would be a lot better off if they werent tied up rescuing you two 24/7!

Try and be a bit more careful.

"The 'filth'?

Speak for your self i don't ever call them that. So its not every other person. And if you speed and get nicked more fool you, personally i take what i get but then again i have witnessed a couple of pretty bad accidents with people who think its cool to right foot floor it.

Ah well, I've never actually met a real-life Saint like yourself, but if it's not "every other person" it'll certainly be the vast majority of otherwise law abiding citizens who don't stoically take their speeding ticket on the chin without a bad word for that pesky policeman scamp who nicked them.

Mind you, I can't decide whether you are saying you never speed because you have witnessed accidents, or that you DO speed and are too clever to get nicked. "

You didn't call them pesky policemen you called them FILTH and there is a big difference.

I take it your the sort who don't think the speed limit applies to then and cannot see the signs anyway due to your head being inserted some place it shouldn't.

warwickshire

"You didn't call them pesky policemen you called them FILTH and there is a bid difference.

I take it your the sort who don't think the speed limit applies to then and cannot see the signs anyway due to your head being inserted some place it shouldn't."

Ah well, before you go all light-headed with self-righteousness, if calling the pigs/rozzers/plod/dibble/filth etc etc anything other than "the police" is that offensive to you, I do apologise, life must be tough when your carer has gone home.

Oh, and incidentally, Sherlock Holmes, how do you deduce anything at all about my driving and attitude to speed limits, other than jumping to conclusions? I fear it's not my head that's inserted anywhere it shouldn't be, especially as you obviously didn't read the "pesky policeman" part properly, did you? Or maybe you just didn't understand it? Hmmm, try again and if you have problems, PM me and I'll explain it without being condescending.

(That means not talking down to you)

"You didn't call them pesky policemen you called them FILTH and there is a bid difference.

I take it your the sort who don't think the speed limit applies to then and cannot see the signs anyway due to your head being inserted some place it shouldn't.

Ah well, before you go all light-headed with self-righteousness, if calling the pigs/rozzers/plod/dibble/filth etc etc anything other than "the police" is that offensive to you, I do apologise, life must be tough when your carer has gone home.

Oh, and incidentally, Sherlock Holmes, how do you deduce anything at all about my driving and attitude to speed limits, other than jumping to conclusions? I fear it's not my head that's inserted anywhere it shouldn't be, especially as you obviously didn't read the "pesky policeman" part properly, did you? Or maybe you just didn't understand it? Hmmm, try again and if you have problems, PM me and I'll explain it without being condescending.

(That means not talking down to you)"

Its not Sherlock Holmes but it doesn’t take wearing a dear stalker and smoking a pipe to see where your head is at. I object to the word FILTH and I am not impressed by the “I guarantee they'd have slithered back under their rock.” Now if you’re looking to promote the boy racer as you you’re doing a pretty good job. If you want to pot a point across like an adult you’re failing miserably.

As for condescending, well that’s how I tend to treat immature kids these days, looks like the baseball cap fits.

warwickshire

(That means not talking down to you)

Its not Sherlock Holmes but it doesn’t take wearing a dear stalker and smoking a pipe to see where your head is at. I object to the word FILTH and I am not impressed by the “I guarantee they'd have slithered back under their rock.” Now if you’re looking to promote the boy racer as you you’re doing a pretty good job. If you want to pot a point across like an adult you’re failing miserably.

As for condescending, well that’s how I tend to treat immature kids these days, looks like the baseball cap fits.

"

Yep, backwards, innit.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

So it is ok to warn ppl about the presence of police ,as committing crimes is perfectly acceptable.

Or is speeding the only crime that meets with Daily Mail approval?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

This gent was used to set an example. He should not have done it and people should not speed not because they get a fine or a ticket but because of the danger it presents to everyone else on the road.

Rushden

"The rest of us would be a lot better off if they werent tied up rescuing you two 24/7!

Try and be a bit more careful.

"

Just trying to get the most from my taxes!!!

Rushden

An interesting point made on the BBC this morning by Quinten Wilson, who supports Speed Cameras.

He pointed out the irony of this conviction. The police say they always put speed traps in places where they need the traffic to slow, but hiding behind bushes and the like, the traffic won't slow until the revenue is gained!

This guy actually did what the police said they were trying (and failing because they caught loads!) So, who was most effective in improving road safety?

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

There's an article in the rags today about a hit and run in Edinburgh on New Year's Eve... victim died. He was hit by an off duty policeman. The off duty policeman left the scene. Regardless of his profession (although you'd assume he'd know better) he should be prosecuted appropriately.

I'd never refer to the police as 'filth', it has been known for me to think their time could be better spent on more serious things when I see them picking people up for minor things. Personal opinion though. However, if you spend any time watching these programs on the TV which follow them while they're on duty, some of it actually beggars belief.

I'm not a saint. I drive over the speed limit on occasion as I'm sure 95% of the rest of the population do but if you do the crime, you get caught then you should be man enough to take the punishment that goes with it. They're just doing their job, they didn't make the rules but the rules are there and if you choose to break them then you put yourself in the position that you're going to get into trouble for it.

I parked somewhere I shouldn't have on Monday evening. I thought when I parked there, having read the sign that said pay between 8.30am and 4.30pm that since it was 6pm I'd be okay. I didn't see the smaller sign above it saying that I wasn't allowed to park there until after 6.30pm. Pissed off I was but it was my own fault for not paying more attention. It's the first parking ticket I've had in a long time. I paid it yesterday. Whilst the sign wasn't clear, I was the muppet, the traffic warden was merely doing what he/she has been employed to do.

By *averiMan  over a year ago

Swindon to bristol

What a total idiot.

warwickshire

What a total idiot."

Do you want to elaborate on that, or are you just waiting for the MENSA offices to open? (Try pulling the door)

» Add a new message to this topic