FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Parking fine

Parking fine

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hey lovely forumites, can anyone offer advice....I parked at a motorway services late one evening as I was feeling tired, I fell asleep in the car for awhile (I now see it was over 2hrs)

I didn't think anything of it, but now I've received a 'charge notice' from a private company for the motorway services. They state they are under the 'British parking association'.

As it's a 'charge notice' has anyone else had one of these??

Thanks x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Some will disagree but I've never paid a 'fine' from a private company.

I've ignored every correspondence they've ever sent.

It's NOT a legal fine i.e. one that is issued by the police. Ignore it and any subsequent letters.

Google it and you'll see.

By *eanutButterJellyTimeCouple  over a year ago

the middle of the world

I think I read somewhere the other day that parking fines given by private companies are not enforceable, which would imply that you are completely safe to ignore, ignore, ignore!

There's also the safety aspect to consider... if you were too tired to continue driving, it's surely safer to park up somewhere and have a nap!!!!

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

Ignoring it as an unenforceable invoice for loss of revenue used to work, but no longer.

The law has changed and a recent test case, which went to the court of appeal, found that the £85 charge was reasonable and proportionate.

So, ignore it at your peril.

Appeal it immediately, that will put the process on hold while they review it. Check current (not old) advice on dealing with it, but resign yourself to probably having to pay up.

By *eanutButterJellyTimeCouple  over a year ago

the middle of the world

"Ignoring it as an unenforceable invoice for loss of revenue used to work, but no longer.

The law has changed and a recent test case, which went to the court of appeal, found that the £85 charge was reasonable and proportionate.

Appeal it immediately, that will put the process on hold while they review it. Check current (not old) advice on dealing with it, but resign yourself to probably having to pay up."

eeek!!! glad you replied, the rest of us were saying ignore!

Thank you for your posts everyone.

I've just googled and seen the November court ruling, so I think you're right, I'd better pay it!

Bugger!

"Thank you for your posts everyone.

I've just googled and seen the November court ruling, so I think you're right, I'd better pay it!

Bugger! "

Can you not appeal and say you were ill?

Do not ignore it.

As its a BPA affiliated company appeal it first.

When they refuse - which they will ask for reference number.

This costs them to issue the number and the BPA will uphold the appeal.

Don't ignore it though especially if it's Parking Eye as they will take you to court

By *nnovator75Man  over a year ago

Cheshire

I appealed one recently which was completely pointless as they did not review my evidence, they wouldn't talk to me and refused my appeal, I was very cross as I wasn't even parked, the engine was still running whilst waiting for someone for a few minutes, it was late and the car park was empty.

Come back into this thread in six months when I still haven't paid mine.

Fuck em, rob dogging scumbag companies.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Do appeal, stating you fell asleep as you didn't want to drive tired. If it wasn't much over the 2 hours they may let you off.

"Come back into this thread in six months when I still haven't paid mine.

Fuck em, rob dogging scumbag companies. "

It's their land and they state the rules for parking there.

"

and I still won't pay up

By *opping_candyWoman  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

A colleague received a parking fine and was told by many to just ignore it... As others have said, old advice. She's due in court in a couple of weeks.

and I still won't pay up "

I fully understand that. What I find less understandable is "rob dogging scumbag companies" for a business conducting their business out in the open, with the terms of that business set out.

We all have to stop at service stations from time to time but it's also possible to deviate from the motorway at any of the junctions and go somewhere else.

im just glad that you were sensible enough to stop and sleep.

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Hertford

"Hey lovely forumites, can anyone offer advice....I parked at a motorway services late one evening as I was feeling tired, I fell asleep in the car for awhile (I now see it was over 2hrs)

I didn't think anything of it, but now I've received a 'charge notice' from a private company for the motorway services. They state they are under the 'British parking association'.

Thanks x"

. How much is it for and is there a discount for early settlement ?. Whilst you might be lucky and find nothing happens if you ignore it , you may also find it is followed up and court proceedings could be expensive .

I would be inclined to take the early settlement discount and pay up. Consider it as a lesson learned if parking at motorway services in future .

"Thank you for your posts everyone.

Bugger! "

You could appeal and offer to pay the equivalent cost for your parking- offer them a fiver?

"im just glad that you were sensible enough to stop and sleep. "

Thanks sweetie x

If it's not a huge amount of money, e.g. less than £100 then I'd just pay it, seen a few of those go to court and costs have gone beyond original offered costs.

"Hey lovely forumites, can anyone offer advice....I parked at a motorway services late one evening as I was feeling tired, I fell asleep in the car for awhile (I now see it was over 2hrs)

Thanks x. How much is it for and is there a discount for early settlement ?. Whilst you might be lucky and find nothing happens if you ignore it , you may also find it is followed up and court proceedings could be expensive .

I would be inclined to take the early settlement discount and pay up. Consider it as a lesson learned if parking at motorway services in future . "

Yep I think that's what I'll do.

It's £60 if paid within 14 days. Otherwise £100 afterwards.

Appeal, Paul is in a dispute over one at the minute. You have to go through popla etc. But basically it's up to them to prove it was you driving the car as the car isn't fined but the person driving it.

If you want I'll get Paul to message you tomorrow with all the info you need to appeal X

By *errygTV/TS  over a year ago

denton

its annoying signs say dont drive when tired, so when you take that advice and have a kip in the car more than 2 hours you get fined, you cant win.

Hertford

"Appeal, Paul is in a dispute over one at the minute. You have to go through popla etc. But basically it's up to them to prove it was you driving the car as the car isn't fined but the person driving it.

If you want I'll get Paul to message you tomorrow with all the info you need to appeal X "

I thought that the registered keeper was deemed to be responsible for offences notched up by the vehicle . Surely if it was an simple as that Parking Eye would be unable to enforce their fines .?

erm I didn't read the thread

''''

legally you wernt in control of the viechle , it was parked....

now you fell asleep , in the process of moving it, and am sorry....

how that shit works

Hertford

Thanks x. How much is it for and is there a discount for early settlement ?. Whilst you might be lucky and find nothing happens if you ignore it , you may also find it is followed up and court proceedings could be expensive .

I would be inclined to take the early settlement discount and pay up. Consider it as a lesson learned if parking at motorway services in future .

Yep I think that's what I'll do.

It's £60 if paid within 14 days. Otherwise £100 afterwards."

. A wise decision as it could end up being a lot more expensive otherwise . Providing the charges are clearly displayed in the services , there is no defence to overstaying .

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"its annoying signs say dont drive when tired, so when you take that advice and have a kip in the car more than 2 hours you get fined, you cant win."

I'd say a monetary fine instead of death or disability is kind of a win. There would have been signs up seating the limit and an alarm could have been set on his phone.

This thread has reminded me I need to pay my fine from the other day.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"its annoying signs say dont drive when tired, so when you take that advice and have a kip in the car more than 2 hours you get fined, you cant win.

I'd say a monetary fine instead of death or disability is kind of a win. There would have been signs up seating the limit and an alarm could have been set on his phone.

This thread has reminded me I need to pay my fine from the other day. "

And no doubt your glovebox is now filled to the brim with loose change

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"its annoying signs say dont drive when tired, so when you take that advice and have a kip in the car more than 2 hours you get fined, you cant win.

This thread has reminded me I need to pay my fine from the other day.

And no doubt your glovebox is now filled to the brim with loose change "

Haha.....nope

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"Do appeal, stating you fell asleep as you didn't want to drive tired. If it wasn't much over the 2 hours they may let you off.

"

I would not use this line of defense. By using it you would be admitting that you knowingly over stayed and would have no further grounds for appealing the charge. Mitigating circumstances are not grounds for appealing these private parking tickets.

Your best bet to fight this ticket will depend on what bases they have issued the ticket on. It will be either an invoice for damages based on a 'pre estimate of loss' caused by your failure to follow the rules or an invoice based on a contract you are deemed to have accepted by your actions. Either way the charge should not be punitive. If you can argue that it is punitive then you should win (although recently this has got harder to argue).

You could also try to argue that you were not aware of the charges, that you did not see any notice, and so never accepted the contract.

If you were over the time by a small amount (less than 10 mins and possibly up to 30) you could argue that that time was used up finding a parking space and leaving the parking area. If the number plate recognition cameras are at the entry and exit slip roads it's quite possible you could have spent 20 or more minutes not parked but getting fuel.

View this site for other advice.

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/popla/

actually I know this shit , its about intent to leave a viechle un, attended

"Do appeal, stating you fell asleep as you didn't want to drive tired. If it wasn't much over the 2 hours they may let you off.

I would not use this line of defense. By using it you would be admitting that you knowingly over stayed and would have no further grounds for appealing the charge. Mitigating circumstances are not grounds for appealing these private parking tickets.

Your best bet to fight this ticket will depend on what bases they have issued the ticket on. It will be either an invoice for damages based on a 'pre estimate of loss' caused by your failure to follow the rules or an invoice based on a contract you are deemed to have accepted by your actions. Either way the charge should not be punitive. If you can argue that it is punitive then you should win (although recently this has got harder to argue).

You could also try to argue that you were not aware of the charges, that you did not see any notice, and so never accepted the contract.

If you were over the time by a small amount (less than 10 mins and possibly up to 30) you could argue that that time was used up finding a parking space and leaving the parking area. If the number plate recognition cameras are at the entry and exit slip roads it's quite possible you could have spent 20 or more minutes not parked but getting fuel.

"

I think the test case at the Court of Appeal said the charges were reasonable so not sure your reason for a defence will stand anymore. I'd probably just pay it to be honest.

Widnes

"Appeal, Paul is in a dispute over one at the minute. You have to go through popla etc. But basically it's up to them to prove it was you driving the car as the car isn't fined but the person driving it.

If you want I'll get Paul to message you tomorrow with all the info you need to appeal X I thought that the registered keeper was deemed to be responsible for offences notched up by the vehicle . Surely if it was an simple as that Parking Eye would be unable to enforce their fines .? "

It's the driver but, if the company follows the correct procedure, the can claim keeper liability, however they often don't do this and when they do often get it wrong. Another thing to check. This is a new area, before 2012 I think what you said is the situation was correct.

How can you ignore it????

I've got one from in Manchester and i've appealed 5 days ago. Not heard shit

Widnes

I think the test case at the Court of Appeal said the charges were reasonable so not sure your reason for a defence will stand anymore. I'd probably just pay it to be honest."

I agree, that's why I said it's harder to argue that now, however, technically in law, the argument is still possible.

Hertford

This thread has reminded me I need to pay my fine from the other day. "

. I always set my alarm to make sure that I do not overstay or buy a ticket first .

I think the test case at the Court of Appeal said the charges were reasonable so not sure your reason for a defence will stand anymore. I'd probably just pay it to be honest.

I agree, that's why I said it's harder to argue that now, however, technically in law, the argument is still possible."

I can't see any Judge going against the court of appeal ruling so the costs will just rise. Not worth the time or effort.

By *exWithThePrettyCouple  over a year ago

Ilford

Google www.pepipoo.co.UK

The definitive parking website.

It costs nothing to appeal so don't just pay up.

Try something like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UogpS1t-mUw

By *airy_HettyWoman  over a year ago

Greater London

Chec on martins money-saving expert site too.

Good luck.

"Ignoring it as an unenforceable invoice for loss of revenue used to work, but no longer.

Appeal it immediately, that will put the process on hold while they review it. Check current (not old) advice on dealing with it, but resign yourself to probably having to pay up."

Shit has changed and it's worrying that the ill-informed still pedal bad advice.

Hertford

"Google www.pepipoo.co.UK

It costs nothing to appeal so don't just pay up. "

. It may cost nothing to appeal but you need a basis on which to base your appeal. if you lose your appeal , you have lost the opportunity the settle at the reduced rate of sixty pounds . I assume the terms and conditions under which you use the services were displayed and as such you will have entered into a contract with the parking enforcement agent .

Halesowen

"its annoying signs say dont drive when tired, so when you take that advice and have a kip in the car more than 2 hours you get fined, you cant win."

You can always pay for parking if you think you'll be longer than 2 hrs

Halesowen

"Google www.pepipoo.co.UK

It costs nothing to appeal so don't just pay up. . It may cost nothing to appeal but you need a basis on which to base your appeal. if you lose your appeal , you have lost the opportunity the settle at the reduced rate of sixty pounds . I assume the terms and conditions under which you use the services were displayed and as such you will have entered into a contract with the parking enforcement agent ."

Usually, if you appeal, the time limit for the reduced amount is frozen whilst the appeal is reviewed. If the appeal fails, then you can usually still pay the discounted amount.

So yes, as I said earlier, definitely appeal (but check the ts&cs to make sure the above applies in this case)

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

The supreme court ruling only applies in certain circumstances. Get up tp date advive by posting on http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

But read the newbies thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822 first and gi8ve it a few days as it is being updated.

By *errygTV/TS  over a year ago

denton

parking is a license to print money, at tameside hospital all side streets resident only , main rd the single yellow has gone double, you cant park within quarter mile, hospital car parks council run, good move council stopping parking on the street so it makes you use their car park

Thanks x"

yes I've had two and in both cases I just said didn't see any signage saying their was a time restriction or a fee had to be paid ,I also went on a meet on a Sunday near Reading and the car park I was advised to park in had a similar system had to pay that one £60

Just pay the £60 and be done with it.

Or is that too much of a sensible suggestion

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Does the parking company not have a legal requirement to prove who was in charge of the vehicle at the time? If they can't prove beyond reasonable doubt does the ticket become void?

"Just pay the £60 and be done with it.

Or is that too much of a sensible suggestion "

Get out of town with that sort of logic!!!!!

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Let`s put the boot on the other foot for a minute. The company who have the franchise to run the services have a lot of costs to recover before they start making a profit, whatever that profit may be. I`ve yet to come across a services where you have to pay to use the toilets for example. If it was your company, wouldn`t you want to use any legal and reasonable means of recovering your expenses?

I truly am shocked by this. The fact that it is so dangerous to drive tired means that charges like these simply shouldn't exists for parking at service stations. I've seen studies that say driving tired is equivalent to driving d*unk. But these fines encourage people to drive when they are tired. Ridiculous.

But just pay the ticket You are going to have to pay in the end and it probably isn't worth the hassle.

-Courtney

Norwich

"Let`s put the boot on the other foot for a minute. The company who have the franchise to run the services have a lot of costs to recover before they start making a profit, whatever that profit may be. I`ve yet to come across a services where you have to pay to use the toilets for example. If it was your company, wouldn`t you want to use any legal and reasonable means of recovering your expenses?"

Fortunately most of them fail on the 'legal' side, and they all fail the 'reasonable' test.

Norwich

Thanks x yes I've had two and in both cases I just said didn't see any signage saying their was a time restriction or a fee had to be paid ,I also went on a meet on a Sunday near Reading and the car park I was advised to park in had a similar system had to pay that one £60 "

If you didn't see the signs then by definition, unless you were driving with a bag on your head, the signage probably wasn't good enough.

Grounds for appeal right there.

By *ig Ted 66Man  over a year ago

Hinckley

You can win. You pay the £10 parking fee that service stations charge to use their facilities for more than 2 hours.

It's a lot cheaper than a fine and all the hassle of an appeal or court hearing etc.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/transport/driving-and-parking/parking-tickets/parking-tickets-on-private-land/challenging-an-unfair-parking-ticket-on-private-land/

This is a useful link that you can read through from a reliable source and then you can determine what your best options are!

Norwich

You can win. You pay the £10 parking fee that service stations charge to use their facilities for more than 2 hours.

It's a lot cheaper than a fine and all the hassle of an appeal or court hearing etc. "

It is NOT A FINE.

Norwich

"https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/transport/driving-and-parking/parking-tickets/parking-tickets-on-private-land/challenging-an-unfair-parking-ticket-on-private-land/

This is a useful link that you can read through from a reliable source and then you can determine what your best options are!"

Sorry but the CAB haven't got a clue when it comes to private parking scumpanies. Far better advice on sites like MSE and parking cowboys

Hertford

It's a lot cheaper than a fine and all the hassle of an appeal or court hearing etc.

It is NOT A FINE."

. Maybe my terminolgy was wrong and I should have used the terminolgy Charge for failing to adhere to the terms of the contract when parking on private property.

It is still a lot cheaper to pay up than fight it unless you know that you have a valid defence ..All you have to do is remember to set your alarm clock next time .

Fair enough, thats a subjective opinion though as three weeks ago, I managed to assist a client in a succesful dispute for a private land parking fine. The point is that this link will give an unbiased and balanced view as to the best course of action that is available.

Norwich

It is NOT A FINE.. Maybe my terminolgy was wrong and I should have used the terminolgy Charge for failing to adhere to the terms of the contract when parking on private property.

It is still a lot cheaper to pay up than fight it unless you know that you have a valid defence ..All you have to do is remember to set your alarm clock next time . "

It's a lot cheaper to deal with it properly, pay nothing and cost the PPC some money

"It's NOT a legal fine i.e. one that is issued by the police. Ignore it and any subsequent letters.

Google it and you'll see."

You mean you'll see the recent supreme Court ruling that the parking eye 85 pound over stay fine is 100% legal and had been upheld in the highest court of the country?

Cause that's what you'll find

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-34721126

"Let`s put the boot on the other foot for a minute. The company who have the franchise to run the services have a lot of costs to recover before they start making a profit, whatever that profit may be. I`ve yet to come across a services where you have to pay to use the toilets for example. If it was your company, wouldn`t you want to use any legal and reasonable means of recovering your expenses?

Fortunately most of them fail on the 'legal' side, and they all fail the 'reasonable' test."

Not any more.

They have now been tested in court and found reasonable so while in the past they may have taken the reduced fee to save the hassle they'll now happily say "nah we'll see you in court, you can pay costs then too"

Hertford

"Let`s put the boot on the other foot for a minute. The company who have the franchise to run the services have a lot of costs to recover before they start making a profit, whatever that profit may be. I`ve yet to come across a services where you have to pay to use the toilets for example. If it was your company, wouldn`t you want to use any legal and reasonable means of recovering your expenses?"
. My thoughts exactly and we can only use the services because the majority of motorists adhere to the terms and conditions . Anyone with common sense would pay the penalty charge and remember to set their alarm clock in future . We all make mistakes in life and have to pay the price .

I have paid for two parking tickets during my life .You just need to remember to stick to the rules in future .

I presume all the court cases that have been stayed pending the outcome of the test case will come back to court now.

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

I see why car parks do it so people don't take advantage, but i'm not sure how they could justify £85. My gym has one of these sorts of contracts and you have enter your registration to get free parking, but they try to get you with a fine if your just input one number or letter by mistake.

I think the government need to bring in regulation that caps any fine to £50 - maybe a bit more in london. You could enter a car park by mistake, drive round for 30 seconds and then get hammered for a £85 fine. Nice work if you can get it.

"I see why car parks do it so people don't take advantage, but i'm not sure how they could justify £85. My gym has one of these sorts of contracts and you have enter your registration to get free parking, but they try to get you with a fine if your just input one number or letter by mistake.

I think the government need to bring in regulation that caps any fine to £50 - maybe a bit more in london. You could enter a car park by mistake, drive round for 30 seconds and then get hammered for a £85 fine. Nice work if you can get it. "

You get fined if you overstay the time allowed, not for driving around it for 30 seconds

By *eally Filthy CoupleCouple  over a year ago

bristol

I have successfully appealed against the exact same situation. My mitigating circumstances were as follows :-

1. After driving for a considerable time I was tired and becoming a risk to myself and other drivers so left the motorway at the next available rest stop.

2. I only intended resting for 20 mins so that is why I did not purchase a ticket. I unfortunately fell asleep.

3. The motorways are full of signs that actively encourage drivers to take a break . " tired ness kills " . It would be absolutely immoral to fine me for being responsible and dealing with the issue so I could continue my journey without putting myself and others at risk .

"I see why car parks do it so people don't take advantage, but i'm not sure how they could justify £85. My gym has one of these sorts of contracts and you have enter your registration to get free parking, but they try to get you with a fine if your just input one number or letter by mistake.

I think the government need to bring in regulation that caps any fine to £50 - maybe a bit more in london. You could enter a car park by mistake, drive round for 30 seconds and then get hammered for a £85 fine. Nice work if you can get it. "

You mean "drove around for over 2 hours then get hammered by a Fine" right?

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS  over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

i'd bin it and tell them to go fuck themselves .. but it'll probably effect your credit rating so depends if thats important to u

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

I dont understand why you would appeal ...you broke the rules whether you intended to or not ...you could have bought a ticket on the off chance that you may fall asleep longer than the permitted time but didnt ...i would just pay up and move on

I would have appealed on the grounds of safty always worth a go and the process will be on hold until the descision so does not cost you any more than if you had paid out right away

I could kick myself I'm so peed off! Received a parking charge. After a horrendous 2&1/2 hr journey that should have taken 25 minutes myself and my passengers popped into a KFC at a retail park. None of us realising it was a pay and display (stupidly thought all retail parks were free!) so now £60 lighter. I wouldn't mind if I was being cheeky but was an honest mistake. Oh well theses things happen, lesson learnt

Norwich

"Let`s put the boot on the other foot for a minute. The company who have the franchise to run the services have a lot of costs to recover before they start making a profit, whatever that profit may be. I`ve yet to come across a services where you have to pay to use the toilets for example. If it was your company, wouldn`t you want to use any legal and reasonable means of recovering your expenses?

Fortunately most of them fail on the 'legal' side, and they all fail the 'reasonable' test.

Not any more.

They have now been tested in court and found reasonable so while in the past they may have taken the reduced fee to save the hassle they'll now happily say "nah we'll see you in court, you can pay costs then too""

That was a single point test case with a very limited set of circumstances i.e. the parasites were paying the landowner rent to enable them to farm the site. There is also new legislation, the Consumer Contracts Regulations, that came into effect after Barry Beavis was ticketed and couldn't be used in his appeal.

i know of someone who overstepped the 2 hours - had to pay up - signage as you enter the carpark and various places as you park up - lesser amount for early payment

Paul has won his popla appeal so it's always worth doing if you feel justified

By *ichaelsmyMan  over a year ago

douglas

you have to be aware of the signs and the charges at the time.

[Removed by poster at 18/12/15 00:12:05]

If you feel justified, appeal it.

They will reject you appeal and ask you to pay and they should offer you to appeal to POPLA.

If not, DO IT ANYWAY.

I did this and won and they didn't contest my appeal.

I wouldn't ignore any correspondence as stated above but i'm just cautious

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

I got off a ticket a little while ago. Turned up at a station car park very early on a Saturday morning to find that they had started charging for long stay but short stay were free.

I drove round couldn't find short stay spaces and the white lines were almost gone.

I thought the signs hadn't come into force, so parked up.

I came back to a ticket. Tried all sorts of appeals and got nowhere. Then the in-laws looked on google maps and noticed that if you followed the arrows you couldn't get to the short stay spaces.

So I appealed stating that I would have had to contravene car park rules to get to the spaces and won... Which was nice...

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Thanks x"

Only the police and local authorities can hand out parking fines.

All they can do is take you to the county court and ask for a payment to cover their losses. All you have to do is prove that you did not cause them any financial loss and they will be told to go jump and be saddled with the costs to boot. Remember that to get a licence to operate a motorway service station they must by law provide parking where tired motorists travelling on the motorway can rest.

I would point this out to them and tell them to go jump.

Hertford

Thanks x

Only the police and local authorities can hand out parking fines.

All they can do is take you to the county court and ask for a payment to cover their losses. All you have to do is prove that you did not cause them any financial loss and they will be told to go jump and be saddled with the costs to boot. Remember that to get a licence to operate a motorway service station they must by law provide parking where tired motorists travelling on the motorway can rest.

I would point this out to them and tell them to go jump."

When entering a private private car park , you are entering into a contract between the parking operator and yourself , the terms of which to which you should adhere .

If you challenge a ticket without valid reasons , it will just end up costing you a lot more including legal costs .

It is hardly worth the risk of challenging a ticket in court unless your reasons are valid .

We are only able to park in car parks because most people abide by and accept the rules .

Norwich

Wow do you work for a private parking company?

Hertford

"Wow do you work for a private parking company?

"

No , but I am always very carefull where I park. Spaces are only available in these car parks because most motorists adhere to the rules.

Fuck em, cheeky cunts. Dont pay it.

you can always ask em what loses they occur to make the fine £85 justifiable

By *uzzybeWoman  over a year ago

Darlington

My friend got the same...she quoted the if your tired then take a rest at them...they backed down

worth 'googling' the exact words to use,but appeal,saying the fine doesn't accurately reflect the loss incurred,

Norwich

No , but I am always very carefull where I park. Spaces are only available in these car parks because most motorists adhere to the rules. "

Sorry but that is complete twaddle in most cases. The PPCs aren't there to make the parking better, they just want to catch as many people out as possible. The only way they can make a profit is if people break the rules, how can that be right?

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

No , but I am always very carefull where I park. Spaces are only available in these car parks because most motorists adhere to the rules.

Sorry but that is complete twaddle in most cases. The PPCs aren't there to make the parking better, they just want to catch as many people out as possible. The only way they can make a profit is if people break the rules, how can that be right?"

I understand what you are saying but obviously enough people are breaking the rules for them to make a profit. If the fines were fairer people wouldn't worry about getting a ticket and causing mayhem...

However I don't agree with the tricks and heavy handed tactics they sometimes use...

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Sorry but that is complete twaddle in most cases. The PPCs aren't there to make the parking better, they just want to catch as many people out as possible. The only way they can make a profit is if people break the rules, how can that be right?

I understand what you are saying but obviously enough people are breaking the rules for them to make a profit. If the fines were fairer people wouldn't worry about getting a ticket and causing mayhem...

However I don't agree with the tricks and heavy handed tactics they sometimes use..."

As I`ve already said once in this thread, these companies have to employ people, could be you, could be me, to keep these places in a condition that you and me would like to visit, be clean, be safe, an environment for all to use. This costs money believe it or not! You have a element of free parking, free toilets, somewhere to sit down outside in some cases, no litter, cameras to reduce the chance of tea leafs nicking stuff or even your car. Treat it right and it costs NOTHING! Make parking a free-for-all and every tupenny-ha`penny motor trader will be using it as a stock pile or even trading premises, vehicles will be "dumped" for hours on end by car sharers and a multitude of other reasons and when you try to park to have a comfort break there`s no space. Yes, the fee is steep but it depends what they have to pay to process the overstay, search fees, admin fees etc. etc. Next time you`re in your own town, have a look and see how this compares to your local authority car parks, especially if you`re in a city like Brighton or London! Taking the piss? Not in my opinion.

Hertford

However I don't agree with the tricks and heavy handed tactics they sometimes use...

As I`ve already said once in this thread, these companies have to employ people, could be you, could be me, to keep these places in a condition that you and me would like to visit, be clean, be safe, an enviro. nment for all to use. This costs money believe it or not! You have a element of free parking, free toilets, somewhere to sit down outside in some cases, no litter, cameras to reduce the chance of tea leafs nicking stuff or even your car. Treat it right and it costs NOTHING! Make parking a free-for-all and every tupenny-ha`penny motor trader will be using it as a stock pile or even trading premises, vehicles will be "dumped" for hours on end by car sharers and a multitude of other reasons and when you try to park to have a comfort break there`s no space. Yes, the fee is steep but it depends what they have to pay to process the overstay, search fees, admin fees etc. etc. Next time you`re in your own town, have a look and see how this compares to your local authority car parks, especially if you`re in a city like Brighton or London! Taking the piss? Not in my opinion."

. An excellent post and a good summary which explains just how fair most parking operators are. Just obey the rules and you will have a problem..

A post come up about this on a modified car forum i go on.

To be honest the guy was hard done by to get a fine, he'd parked with his wheels a couple of inch over a line or something - due to the car next to him taking up more room.

Anyway.....the general advice given was ignore everything, I've heard more and more about these penalties being taken further and enforced.

Not sure oh some guy on Facebook told me to ignore it would stand up in court

For me, all the hassle and carry on about dodging a £60 isn't worth it id rather just bite the bullet and pay up.

Hertford

Sorry but that is complete twaddle in most cases. The PPCs aren't there to make the parking better, they just want to catch as many people out as possible. The only way they can make a profit is if people break the rules, how can that be right?"

. I thought that the Private Parking companies were engaged by the car park owners to ensure that everyone is treated fairly. I.e. those who adhere to the rules never receive penalties and those who breach the rules are issued with penalty charges for failing to adhere to the rules .

That seems very fair to me . Parking spaces in restricted areas are only available because the majority of motorists adhere to the rules .

» Add a new message to this topic