FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Question for the gym junkies

Question for the gym junkies

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Anyone got a better method for putting on weight? I've been exercising and eating a lot more in the past couple months and getting nowhere. I'm 5ft 8 and 9st 1lb so my BMI is ok but it's drifting towards underweight. Any help?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You need to consume more.

Depends what your eating.

Depends on your body type.

Depends on how much your eating each day.

Probably means you don`t have the body type do put a lot of weight on i`m afraid.

Some can eat and eat and eat and they don`t put the weight on.

The best thing to do is to make your current body stronger so get yourself running, cycling and doing some weights

Mutant mass is your friend and plenty of heavy weights

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

No joke, go on a strict diet. The weight will come as soon as you stop.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

Eat more. Eat good quality food. Eat good quality protein.

Some people just don't gain weight, my daughter eat loads and I mean ridiculous amounts, her BMI is at the top end of underweight so though she's underweight not really skinny, when she was in hospital a few months ago the doctor asked me if she was eating OK, ok? She consumes more calories a day im drinks alone than is recomended a days, some people just can't gain weight

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

Eat, lift, repeat.

Log your intake and find out just how many calories you need to gain weight.

"Depends what your eating.

Probably means you don`t have the body type do put a lot of weight on i`m afraid.

The best thing to do is to make your current body stronger so get yourself running, cycling and doing some weights"

I'm eating mainly meats and fry up's lately.

I've always had a slim and tone build.

And i'm a sprinter but all the running does is help my CRE and tone my legs. But I don't sprint as much anymore so I doubt the little I do is burning the fat I want to keep.

It is not going to happen because your eating fry ups and lots of meat (which is very bad for you) so your body should be storing it as fat, you don`t have the body type to gain the weight or put a lot on.

Make your heart fitter and then your body will become fitter and stronger.

The best protein sources are tuna, salmon, wild meats, milk, cheese oh and chicken breast (only part of the bird that is lean)

You can try finding your basal metabolic rate then you know how much kcal your body needs to live for 24 hours, then consume Kcal`s for exercise use (usually 300-800). then eat about 1000 kcal which will be your excess and maybe gain you some weight.

Oh to be 9st 1... *sigh*

"Anyone got a better method for putting on weight? I've been exercising and eating a lot more in the past couple months and getting nowhere. I'm 5ft 8 and 9st 1lb so my BMI is ok but it's drifting towards underweight. Any help?"

I went to the football yesterday - drank 10 pints of bitter, ate a large donner kebab, 2 meat and tater pies, 6 bags of wotsits and a curly wurly - put on four pounds overnight - take my advice - it works !

Hereford

The best thing to do is to make your current body stronger so get yourself running, cycling and doing some weights

I'm eating mainly meats and fry up's lately.

I've always had a slim and tone build.

And i'm a sprinter but all the running does is help my CRE and tone my legs. But I don't sprint as much anymore so I doubt the little I do is burning the fat I want to keep."

It really doesn't matter what you are eating if you want to gain weight but can't.

A lot of 'hard gainers' find that when they log their intake they find they are eating less than they thought, typically this process goes something like:

Eat a big breakfast..(700cal), feel full so end up having very little for lunch (600cal), feel like you should be eating so smash in a massive dinner (1000cal)...end up only consuming 2300cal per day which isn't enough to gain (for most people). This is where logging helps.

You could then find out where the gaps were and try eating smaller ammounts more often, for example.

"Oh to be 9st 1... *sigh*"

You and me both....that's my ideal weight!

By *eonardoLoveMan  over a year ago

London

Check if you are allergic to some kinds of food. You will not absorb nutrients if you are

You need to be in surplus calories and you need to track your macros, suggest you use myfitnesspal and eat every 3 to 2hrs. I aim for 4000kcal 500g carbs and 260g protein daily.

By *ephistoCouple  over a year ago

torrance

Eat more. Also, get on a good weight program using heavier weight. Use weighted carries in this workout.

First stop is to get a thyroid check at the docs- if its overactive you may need meds.

I was always around 10-10.5 stone from my late teens until I reached 30 years of age no matter what I was eating, After that I started to put on a little more weight, I eat a lot more chicken/steaks and pasta now and have started going the gym 2-3 times a week, I weight about 11.5 stone now, Keep working at it and listen to people who go the gym but you still might not gain weight until your metabolism slows down,

If only I could give you my excess. Win win.

Mrs x

"It is not going to happen because your eating fry ups and lots of meat (which is very bad for you) so your body should be storing it as fat, you don`t have the body type to gain the weight or put a lot on.

The best protein sources are tuna, salmon, wild meats, milk, cheese oh and chicken breast (only part of the bird that is lean)

You can try finding your basal metabolic rate then you know how much kcal your body needs to live for 24 hours, then consume Kcal`s for exercise use (usually 300-800). then eat about 1000 kcal which will be your excess and maybe gain you some weight.

"

Thanks man but I was looking to make myself stronger or fitter. I already have a really tone physique and lots of definition and a six pack that has came and gone a few times the past 3 years. I was looking more to build a bigger chest and broaden my shoulders and squeeze out a inch or 2 more in height before I stop growing. An all round bigger upper body.

The best thing to do is to make your current body stronger so get yourself running, cycling and doing some weights"

If you are looking to put on weight, the very worst exercises you can do is running or cycling or ANY form of endurance work. The only CV you need to do, if any, is short sharp interval work. Tabatta sprints are good. Warm up, sprint max effort, balls out, for 40 seconds, walk for 20. Repeat 20 times. Cool down. Great for torching fat whilst punishing your CV, movement skills and building useful leg muscle.

You need to build yourself up focusing on your diet, eating plenty of QUALITY foods, making sure you get a balance of proteins, carbs and fats. Correct food intake, the word 'diet' is appropriate but conjures up too many mis-interpretations. The food split is 30/40/30 % respectively but can be altered to 40/30/30 and you should be looking to take onboard 1gm of protein per lb of body weight. You will read other ratios but that worked for me at my prime.

You should be using the gym 3/4 times per week and focusing on compound movements, not isolation. Squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, bench press, military press to get you started. Do Abs no more than twice a week, at the end of your sessions and work arms before rest days. Rest is as important for your body to recover. Train intense.

Speak to a proper PT, not a gym instructor but a proper PT about routines and splits.

No one has difficulty putting on weight if they eat the correct foods, avoid the wrong ones and train rigorously and effectively and sleep properly. 8 hours a night minimum.

Your body grows when you sleep!

Mr BHW

PS. I charged £40 per hour when I had my own PT business. Speak to proper professionals about the science, don't listen to the vast majority of stuff on here or by your average gym goer. Seek a professional close to you!!

Set achievable goals and work gradually towards them. Rome was not built in a day.

Emp mass gain 3 times a day eat like a mother fucker good food not shit like sweets and junk food lots of chicken as it's packed full of protein and not stupid money to buy eat little and often don't blot yourself when eating and your put on weight train 4 or 5 days a week for a hour separate what you train at the gym like arms legs back get a good routine rip weights till your muscles fail and your be looking good in 6 months time

"It is not going to happen because your eating fry ups and lots of meat (which is very bad for you) so your body should be storing it as fat, you don`t have the body type to gain the weight or put a lot on.

Thanks man but I was looking to make myself stronger or fitter. I already have a really tone physique and lots of definition and a six pack that has came and gone a few times the past 3 years. I was looking more to build a bigger chest and broaden my shoulders and squeeze out a inch or 2 more in height before I stop growing. An all round bigger upper body.

"

Height? No weight training routine will increase your height. In fact it will likely prevent that extra inch as heavy weighraining does encourage your bones to stop growing.

You NEED to eat fats to build muscle. Just seen the but above about lean chicken breasts. Fats are essential for healthy tissue development. Look at your top body builders when they are in the 'off season'. They 'cut up' for events but understand that to build muscle you need a healthy and balanced diet!!

And I second that don't not do much cardio work if your a hard gainer or your undone the work your putting in gaining weight

If you are looking to put on weight, the very worst exercises you can do is running or cycling or ANY form of endurance work. The only CV you need to do, if any, is short sharp interval work. Tabatta sprints are good. Warm up, sprint max effort, balls out, for 40 seconds, walk for 20. Repeat 20 times. Cool down. Great for torching fat whilst punishing your CV, movement skills and building useful leg muscle.

You need to build yourself up focusing on your diet, eating plenty of QUALITY foods, making sure you get a balance of proteins, carbs and fats. Correct food intake, the word 'diet' is appropriate but conjures up too many mis-interpretations. The food split is 30/40/30 % respectively but can be altered to 40/30/30 and you should be looking to take onboard 1gm of protein per lb of body weight. You will read other ratios but that worked for me at my prime.

You should be using the gym 3/4 times per week and focusing on compound movements, not isolation. Squats, deadlifts, bent over rows, bench press, military press to get you started. Do Abs no more than twice a week, at the end of your sessions and work arms before rest days. Rest is as important for your body to recover. Train intense.

Speak to a proper PT, not a gym instructor but a proper PT about routines and splits.

No one has difficulty putting on weight if they eat the correct foods, avoid the wrong ones and train rigorously and effectively and sleep properly. 8 hours a night minimum.

Mr BHW

PS. I charged £40 per hour when I had my own PT business. Speak to proper professionals about the science, don't listen to the vast majority of stuff on here or by your average gym goer. Seek a professional close to you!!

Set achievable goals and work gradually towards them. Rome was not built in a day. "

Want to be my private PT?

Hereford

Mr BHW

Set achievable goals and work gradually towards them. Rome was not built in a day. "

This is helpful, but I reckon that it is trying to run before he can walk, nutrient splits, 'quality' of food sources, hypertrophy routines etc are all great, but they are things that need addressing after he has worked out how to gain weight.

It may be that he needs to add in some 'dirty' foods (although I prefer the term 'calorie dense')if he is a hard gainer...

No problem but making yourself bigger does`nt make you fitter(does not do much for your long term health inside except initial strengthening of ligaments, bone density, joint strengthening, creates initially more fast twitch muscle fibres) but you might just find with all this stuff that these experts are saying that it might not work which comes down to body type in the end or a unseen metabolic condition.

Good luck with it .

Combing cycling, high intensity running with heavy weights makes you stronger and fitter. It is the best way to get fit but you have to be doing things like Lactate stackers, tegla training, hill training. Cycling with weight on your back but pushing hard when you feel tired is the key with that. Doing a 1 hour weight session a few times a week and doing lower body weight exercises once every 10 days or so, something like that but you need to be eating over 4000kcal a day to do these kind of high intensity exercises. I do all of this and i consume 4800kcal per day.

Just lifting weights uses the CP energy system which lasts about 8-10 seconds so just broaden things. Don`t be stuck to just using a gym plus training outside will toughen your body up.

Just try things and see what works for you.

"No problem but making yourself bigger does`nt make you fitter(does not do much for your long term health inside except initial strengthening of ligaments, bone density, joint strengthening, creates initially more fast twitch muscle fibres) but you might just find with all this stuff that these experts are saying that it might not work which comes down to body type in the end or a unseen metabolic condition.

Good luck with it .

Combing cycling, high intensity running with heavy weights makes you stronger and fitter. It is the best way to get fit but you have to be doing things like Lactate stackers, tegla training, hill training. Cycling with weight on your back but pushing hard when you feel tired is the key with that. Doing a 1 hour weight session a few times a week and doing lower body weight exercises once every 10 days or so, something like that but you need to be eating over 4000kcal a day to do these kind of high intensity exercises. I do all of this and i consume 4800kcal per day.

Just lifting weights uses the CP energy system which lasts about 8-10 seconds so just broaden things. Don`t be stuck to just using a gym plus training outside will toughen your body up.

Just try things and see what works for you.

"

Learn to walk before you can run. Yes I love PT ing but I'm

No longer based in Glasgow. Concentrate on getting the basics right long before you make it complex. KISS.

KEEP

IT

SIMPLE,

STUPID.

And on another one, make sure you use a weight that you can move through a full range of movement. Don't try to push a weight that's too heavy to control. Full range of movement with a lighter weight is far better than trying to look like a bosun using a weight that is too heavy for you to get any benefit.

Like half the muppets in the gym today when we went!

To be honest looking at your frame you not really going to be able to bulk much more. I would say go and hit your max on weights in the gym and go for definition over all as for the extra in hight keep working and a strong background and core to keep yourself standing stright, trying to add to much could in some cases slow your growth as everything will be getting put in to muscle repair and keeping them going. Iv seen a lot of things lads do a lot of damage trying to get as bulky and tones as others. If your really set on it try baby food it's high if calories and do sent fill you as much so can intake more

Hereford

"To be honest looking at your frame you not really going to be able to bulk much more. I would say go and hit your max on weights in the gym and go for definition over all as for the extra in hight keep working and a strong background and core to keep yourself standing stright, trying to add to much could in some cases slow your growth as everything will be getting put in to muscle repair and keeping them going. Iv seen a lot of things lads do a lot of damage trying to get as bulky and tones as others. If your really set on it try baby food it's high if calories and do sent fill you as much so can intake more "

OP is only 19! He is at about the peak of his genetic potential to gain muscle! At his age, he has to be a load less careful than old codgers like me about what he eats.

"Anyone got a better method for putting on weight? I've been exercising and eating a lot more in the past couple months and getting nowhere. I'm 5ft 8 and 9st 1lb so my BMI is ok but it's drifting towards underweight. Any help?"

I've had trouble gaining weight myself (jane) I was sent to a dietician. Try eating a low fat but high calorie diet it's worked a little for me as my body had a problem absorbing fats. Hope this helps x

"To be honest looking at your frame you not really going to be able to bulk much more. I would say go and hit your max on weights in the gym and go for definition over all as for the extra in hight keep working and a strong background and core to keep yourself standing stright, trying to add to much could in some cases slow your growth as everything will be getting put in to muscle repair and keeping them going. Iv seen a lot of things lads do a lot of damage trying to get as bulky and tones as others. If your really set on it try baby food it's high if calories and do sent fill you as much so can intake more

OP is only 19! He is at about the peak of his genetic potential to gain muscle! At his age, he has to be a load less careful than old codgers like me about what he eats."

I thought the best time to gain weight and muscle was through puberty 12-16 roughly. My body hasn't changed much in the past 3 years other than a bit more height.

Do you want weight or muscle and weight? Have you had your thyroid checked?

Doc will help you, as will a personal trainer.

"Do you want weight or muscle and weight? Have you had your thyroid checked?

Doc will help you, as will a personal trainer. "

I want more weight, muscle and height. I haven't had my thyroid checked but I don't want my metabolism to drop completely and fight becoming fat. There's a relaxing thing about loafing about and staying slim. But it's a 2 way street I guess.

You should be looking to up calorie intake to around 4000 a day and be in the gym doing a comfortable mix of weight and cardio. Small meals should be mainly protein based and first and last meal just protein. Carbs and protein consumed just within an hour pre and post workout. A banana is ideal after.

» Add a new message to this topic