FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > How have you behaved altruistically?

How have you behaved altruistically?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Have you behaved with altruism and if so, what have you done and why? Did you really gain nothing from it, even if it was just feeling some satisfaction?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Yes, but I don't especially want to go in to it

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yeah, would never do it again either. I don't always think altruism is a good thing.

Ended up with 4 kids under the age of 6, had hardly any sleep, no time to myself. Completely burnt myself out eventually.

And you can say 'well you did it for yourself coz it's your genes being looked after'...i wouldn't agree though coz me, the actual me, was pissed off to fuck, exhausted, and miserable at times. Although it did pay off eventually i wasn't thinking that at the time.

I do think things like not watching others struggle and voluntarily helping them because you can is altruistic. You might not get pleasure from that but you also made sure someone else didn't suffer. Even something as small as helping someone carry their pram up the steps at a railway station.

Yup where my mothers concerned and it burns.

"Have you behaved with altruism and if so, what have you done and why? Did you really gain nothing from it, even if it was just feeling some satisfaction?"
ive saved two young people's lives so hopefully I qualify for this yes

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I don't know, its always started off like that but then I feel good and satisfied so does it then become a selfish act because you've gained from it

I suppose when I first started volunteering for overseas aid projects I imagined my motivation would help nullify the conflicting emotions which result from involvement in those situations.....

It not about self gratification or satisfaction ,,,,,

I'm now at a stage where I do what I do because it's what I do and I can't see me stopping while I'm still able....

It doesn't make me feel good, I just hope it helps ease the suffering of those in need.....

Since 2013 I've run a charity for autistic kids, setting up cookery clubs, cinema clubs and support groups, out in all weathers raising funds, instead of having weekends off I would be found up to my eye balls in flour on a Saturday and then on Sunday sat in the lobby of a busy cinema meeting all the kids. Would I change it? Not in a million years,

I've made some great friends along the way, put smiles (or the equivalent!) on many kids faces, they got to meet their movie heroes and parents having the chance to have a break. When a parent cries on you when their child who wouldn't normally leave their side and starts playing with a train set with another child, I know those weekends given up was well worth it.

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"I don't know, its always started off like that but then I feel good and satisfied so does it then become a selfish act because you've gained from it

"

It's a tough one K, as if we feel some satisfaction or relief from helping someone's plight, it can be argued that we have gained and thus it's not altruistic.

It's debated that there is no altruism, as sad as it may be to contemplate that.

» Add a new message to this topic