FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Suffragette

Suffragette

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I've just seen the film.

It is extraordinarily moving, well told and should be compulsory viewing.

I didn't like the wobbly camera reportage style in some places but the performances from a stellar cast are wonderful.

I think they should have put a little footnote on the credits to let people know that Helena Bonham Carter's great grandfather was Asquith.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I'm hopefully going to watch it with my eldest just need to find a cinema near me that's showing it.

Will I need tissues? He said Everest was really sad

"I'm hopefully going to watch it with my eldest just need to find a cinema near me that's showing it.

Will I need tissues? He said Everest was really sad "

You will need tissues.

I have known this story in all its variations for at least 40 years and I was crying in several places.

The teenagers with us said it told them more than their history lessons had covered.

Chams or Socials

"I'm hopefully going to watch it with my eldest just need to find a cinema near me that's showing it.

You will need tissues.

I have known this story in all its variations for at least 40 years and I was crying in several places.

The teenagers with us said it told them more than their history lessons had covered.

"

That's partly why I want him to see it as I don't think it'll be covered in History - they concentrate on the wars instead. It's such an important part of our history though & they should hear it

You will need tissues.

That's partly why I want him to see it as I don't think it'll be covered in History - they concentrate on the wars instead. It's such an important part of our history though & they should hear it "

I remember going to Switzerland in 1981 and learning women had only had the vote there for 10 years at that time.

Chams or Socials

Really???

i still have so much to learn!!

"Really???

i still have so much to learn!! "

When did all adult women get the vote in the UK?

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

1928 .... ten years after all men got the vote

By *ivinefoxWoman  over a year ago

Coventry

Ooh I want to see this! Thanks for letting us know your thoughts on this important film.

"1928 .... ten years after all men got the vote

"

Correct. When people use 1918 they forget that was for wealthy women over 30.

We've only all had the vote for under 100 years and yet more people watched the final of Bake Off than voted for the Conservatives in the last election.

and the first woman to be elected to parliament?

"and the first woman to be elected to parliament?"

This one is tricky. The Irish one (not Irish herself but I can't remember her name) that didn't take her seat? Or Nancy Astor who everyone remembers as she was the first to take her seat?

that's right .... Constance Markievicz, sinn fein

"that's right .... Constance Markievicz, sinn fein "

Thanks. I'll look her up tomorrow to remind myself about her story too.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"1928 .... ten years after all men got the vote

Correct. When people use 1918 they forget that was for wealthy women over 30.

We've only all had the vote for under 100 years and yet more people watched the final of Bake Off than voted for the Conservatives in the last election.

"

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"

"

Our kids covered it, but they were too young to really appreciate it at the time.

How much do they gloss over the terrorism side of it? There are elements of the suffragette movement that I struggle to laud up, and I find that often nowadays there is a bit of a revisionist element to many of these historical films/tv dramas.

Mr ddc

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"

Our kids covered it, but they were too young to really appreciate it at the time.

How much do they gloss over the terrorism side of it? There are elements of the suffragette movement that I struggle to laud up, and I find that often nowadays there is a bit of a revisionist element to many of these historical films/tv dramas.

Mr ddc"

Nowt wrong with a bit of terrorism...

As they say 'one man's terrorists is another woman's freedom-fighter'.

Do any of them get their kit off in this?

Glastonbury

"Do any of them get their kit off in this? "

*tuts*

Get yr chopper out, dude

Derbyshire

"

Mr ddc

Nowt wrong with a bit of terrorism...

As they say 'one man's terrorists is another woman's freedom-fighter'.

"

That's the trouble, it's okay when a white middle-class woman does it, but when a poor, working-class Catholic from the Bogside, or worse - a Muslim from Bradford does it, everyone gets a bit

I always thought it was the terrorism that stood in the way of the cause, as the government couldn't be seen to give in to terrorists, and the breakthrough only came when they called a halt due to the war, allowing the government a way out.

Derbyshire

"Do any of them get their kit off in this? "

I think you're thinking of Erica Rowe.

And I think that was more to do with alcohol for all, rather than votes

Ignoring my previous irreverence above, how do they portray Emmeline and Christabel Pankhurst in this?

Like, is there any mention of the White Feather movement and their shaming of men to fight in WW1?

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

A film on our radar, so wished I'd purchased it for tonight, definitely this week though. We're in the mood having recently watches Lincoln.

Glastonbury

"That's the trouble, it's okay when a white middle-class woman does it, but when a poor, working-class Catholic from the Bogside, or worse - a Muslim from Bradford does it, everyone gets a bit

I always thought it was the terrorism that stood in the way of the cause, as the government couldn't be seen to give in to terrorists, and the breakthrough only came when they called a halt due to the war, allowing the government a way out."

What about a poor black man who blows things up and is implicated at his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed...

Glastonbury

"That's the trouble, it's okay when a white middle-class woman does it, but when a poor, working-class Catholic from the Bogside, or worse - a Muslim from Bradford does it, everyone gets a bit

I always thought it was the terrorism that stood in the way of the cause, as the government couldn't be seen to give in to terrorists, and the breakthrough only came when they called a halt due to the war, allowing the government a way out.

What about a poor black man who blows things up and is implicated at his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed..."

Who's party's song includes the words:

Go safely Umkhonto. Umkhonto we Sizwe. We the members of the Umkhonto have pledged ourselves to kill them — kill the whites.”

Glastonbury

What about a poor black man who blows things up and is implicated at his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed...

Who's party's song includes the words:

Go safely Umkhonto. Umkhonto we Sizwe. We the members of the Umkhonto have pledged ourselves to kill them — kill the whites.”

"

But that man would be Nelscon Mandela.

See - one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

Derbyshire

"What about a poor black man who blows things up and is implicated at his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed..."

But wasn't Martin Luther King and Ghandi's peaceful methods more effective in the long run?

What message do we send to youngsters when we say "Sometimes armed struggle is the way to go"?

"

Mr ddc"

My nephew knew the difference between Suffragists (but didn't know about Millicent Fawcett) and Suffragettes (Pankhurst he did know). The terrorism was covered well in the film.

By *tretchygirl and tintinWoman  over a year ago

Dartford

New Zealand was the first country to give women the vote

"What about a poor black man who blows things up and is implicated at his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed...

But wasn't Martin Luther King and Ghandi's peaceful methods more effective in the long run?

What message do we send to youngsters when we say "Sometimes armed struggle is the way to go"?"

Ghandi's message was also racist... Viewing history requires many lenses to see all sides.

"New Zealand was the first country to give women the vote "

It was, and many of the other colonies got the vote before the folk back in Blighty.

By *tretchygirl and tintinWoman  over a year ago

Dartford

"New Zealand was the first country to give women the vote

It was, and many of the other colonies got the vote before the folk back in Blighty.

"

If I remember rightly it was in 1897

Derbyshire

"

Mr ddc

My nephew knew the difference between Suffragists (but didn't know about Millicent Fawcett) and Suffragettes (Pankhurst he did know). The terrorism was covered well in the film.

"

Thanks Lickety

(And it's very true what you say about lenses - I used to find it fascinating on site reading the Sun and the Mirror side by side!)

» Add a new message to this topic