Norfolk

believe the scientists now?

Global warming my fat arse!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *nvictusMan  over a year ago

Beeston

"believe the scientists now?

Global warming my fat arse!"

Your fat arse is a contributing factor in global warming???

Never heard that one before!

By *-and-KCouple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Yep its amazing how it all goes silent on the global warming isn't it. Come the summer and they'll all come out of the woodwork again.

They're like the flu virus in reverse. Theyinfect us all in the summer not the winter.

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

Global warming doesn't just mean everywhere gets "warmer" though!

There's more to it than that and if I didn't have to go dig my car out of the snow again this morning I would explain it further, Damn, "global warming my fat arse" springs to mind!

PS - It is Winter afterall and this isn't the first time that we have had snow like this. I can remember when winters were this bad too, but we never used to be in such a rush to get everywhere, never all had cars and could remember that our legs are good for walking with, to get to where we needed to.

By *dglasgow30TV/TS  over a year ago

glasgow

its all swings and roundabouts

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

My (limited) understanding of the global warming thinking was that it would give us more extremes - colder winters and hotter summers.

...as would emerging from an ice age, which apparently we're still doing.

Differentiating between the two is impossible, in my view - which is not to say that both aren't happening.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Actually global warming is a miss-phrase.

It's really climate change, and actually quite a few of the models predict Europe going into a glacial period due to changing ocean currents/jet stream etc.

So basically some places will get colder some much hotter and the bottom line is less habitable and arable space for us peeps.

By *nvictusMan  over a year ago

Beeston

"Global warming doesn't just mean everywhere gets "warmer" though!

There's more to it than that and if I didn't have to go dig my car out of the snow again this morning I would explain it further, Damn, "global warming my fat arse" springs to mind!

PS - It is Winter afterall and this isn't the first time that we have had snow like this. I can remember when winters were this bad too, but we never used to be in such a rush to get everywhere, never all had cars and could remember that our legs are good for walking with, to get to where we needed to. "

I'll sum it up for you while you dig: according to the scientists colder and wetter winters are a consequence of global warming. The flip side is the dryer and hotter summers.

On a side note volcanic green house emissions are know to affect the climate, they are in the order of 150-300 million tonnes per year on average. Human green house gas emissions are on the order of 27 billion tonnes apparently.

Hell a billions of tonnes of anything in the environment is going to have an impact.

Personally I *hope* we are the cause of climate change; it means we can actually do something about it. Otherwise we are going to end up sitting in a ditch with a cat on our heads!

"Global warming doesn't just mean everywhere gets "warmer" though!

PS - It is Winter afterall and this isn't the first time that we have had snow like this. I can remember when winters were this bad too, but we never used to be in such a rush to get everywhere, never all had cars and could remember that our legs are good for walking with, to get to where we needed to. "

We agree !

Twas said by me on another thread that scientist predict Britain will be under snow and in another ice age in a few decades to a century. Global warming has different effects on the weather.

HOWEVERRRRRRRR...... I don't believe global warming to be the human made threat it is made out to be. The universe would have done it anyway and weather is cyclical. Seen snow before will see it again before I die. I need to start a new thread on public reaction to snow n stuff .... tootles for now x

The main problem is a tipping point.

Has the climate been warmer in the past, sure. colder in the past, for certain.

Problem was it didn't have ~7 billion people on it all living on the edge of resource usage.

If the tundra in the siberia decides to completely melt (and it is on the way to that), a lot of methane will be released which is x20 worse than CO2 as a green house gas. That is a tipping point where you get a run away cycle.

Just imagine a pendulum, more energy you put in the bigger arcs you get and larger extremes.

Anyhow sush on all this and give me a pair of boobs to nussle up into

By *-and-KCouple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

"On a side note volcanic green house emissions are know to affect the climate, they are in the order of 150-300 million tonnes per year on average. Human green house gas emissions are on the order of 27 billion tonnes apparently.

Hell a billions of tonnes of anything in the environment is going to have an impact.

Personally I *hope* we are the cause of climate change; it means we can actually do something about it. Otherwise we are going to end up sitting in a ditch with a cat on our heads! "

So what do you propose? Kill off all cattle? afterall it is proven that they are biggest emitters of methane (greenhouse gas)on the planet when they fart.

[Removed by poster at 21/12/10 09:20:03]

Heh, yes it is true they are quite a contributor.

all in all there is no easy choice, if there was we'd have taken it by now.

Bah typo.

The amount a hot air women spout is also a major contributing factor apparently xx

The fact that climate has changed considerably thfoughout the Earth's history is well established through ice core studies (for the recent past) and a combination of paeleobotany, paeleoclimatology and geology (for more distant events). The question is has the Earth's climate changed in the past with the rapidity with which it is changing now. Climate is changing, seas are warming, coral is dieing, island nations are drowning. Weather seems to be getting more extreme. Climate change is a better title for the phenomenon than Global Warming. But warming it is. To put it simply, elevated levels of CO2 in the atmosphere (which is indesputable) to levels higher than seen in eons conserves heat via the processes of the greenhouse effect. The heat cannot escape so readily back into space. Thus the atmosphere has more energy stored within it and as such climatic reactions are more extreme, drier, longer droughts in some parts of the world, stormier storms, more snow, rain etc. That it is happening has reached a wide consensus within the scientific community with the majority of those dissenters being funded by the petrochemical industries and right of centre political groups. Just take a look at who they are and who they work for. So the question isn't whether it's happening but what are we gonna do about it? We are very cosy in out temparate climactic zone with buffers built into it (so long as the oceanic methane store doesn't get warm enough to be released, in which case we're all screwed) but in areas of the world already on the edge such as The Sahel in sub Saharan Africa, any change for the worse is catastrophic. Ironically the Europe and North America are likely to see an improvement in crop yeilds, habitable living and arable land as a consequence of moderate climate change so maybe it's a case of I'm alright Jack.

Anyhow, enough of that. Show me some tits

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"The amount a hot air women spout is also a major contributing factor apparently xx "

Ok women of the forums, does this warrant aforum ban do you think?

its all a tax excuse.

bombarded with it so you believe it.

and lets face it if global warming was such an important issue f1 and other motorsports would have been deemed unnecessary and against the planets interests regardless of how much capital they generate.

all a load of bollocks.

"believe the scientists now?

Global warming my fat arse!"

global warming was just another excuse for a stealth tax.

Suprising number of Daily Mail readers about aren't there...

Forum Mod

"The amount a hot air women spout is also a major contributing factor apparently xx

Ok women of the forums, does this warrant aforum ban do you think? "

Well as its christmas and im feeling lenient I say yes

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Ok why does the Daily Mail seem to pop up everywhere? I am guessing it is meant as an insult when people mention it.....

Not as an insult but the Mail is known for it's rather conservative (big and little c) views and resistance to anything that challenges the status quo e'g' climate change.

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Ok why does the Daily Mail seem to pop up everywhere? I am guessing it is meant as an insult when people mention it..... "
Apparantly if you are a Daily Mail reader, you are the lowest of the low...what does that make Guardianistas then?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Ok why does the Daily Mail seem to pop up everywhere? I am guessing it is meant as an insult when people mention it..... Apparantly if you are a Daily Mail reader, you are the lowest of the low...what does that make Guardianistas then? "

oooooo thats not good, especially as the MIL reads The mail......so I won't let her know what some people think of her, as she is scary and will have their guts for garters !!

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Not as an insult but the Mail is known for it's rather conservative (big and little c) views and resistance to anything that challenges the status quo e'g' climate change."

So more a put down that insult? I suppose the same sort of thing.

Surely a person can read any newspaper and not believe or agree with everything that is in it?

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Not as an insult but the Mail is known for it's rather conservative (big and little c) views and resistance to anything that challenges the status quo e'g' climate change.

So more a put down that insult? I suppose the same sort of thing.

Surely a person can read any newspaper and not believe or agree with everything that is in it?"

Apparently not

» Add a new message to this topic