FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > 5p per bag from today.

5p per bag from today.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What do you think of the news that supermarkets will charge 5p per bag from today and will it change how you do your shopping? It follows suit with wales and Scotland as they already have it. It wont affect me as such as 5p is not much, do you recon it will help and save the planet as well?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Went to river island they charged me 5p not bothered but do think when you spend over a certain amount should be free lol

About time too, apparently one of the largest man made "things" is a vast island of plastic bags circulating the north Pacific.

We're slowly choking the planet

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

Good

Asda were giving away bags for life a few months ago to encourage people to use them.

Funniest thing I saw today on Facebook was this: "realising you have about fifty grand worth of plastic bags under your sink" it's true I have bags in bags in bags all over!!!

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We've been using our own bags for ages now.

However like a lot of people we use any carriers we get as bin liners etc we will be buying them from now on so I don't think it will reduce the amount of waste as much as we anticipate.

It's 5p. Not breaking the bank.

How many bags do you have in bags.in the kitchen?

I know I have loads.

It can only be a good thing. It really does not take much effort to remember to take your own bags along.

"It can only be a good thing. It really does not take much effort to remember to take your own bags along."

Ahhh yes the trick is remembering the damn things are in the car!!

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Used to it... we've had it up her for a while. I have a few of these little foldaway bags in my handbag. It's no bother.

By *kin BohnerMan  over a year ago

derby

I keep a couple of bags in the boot so its no problem, I actually think the charge should be more if helps prevent litter.

Apparently they did this in Ireland at 5c per bag now its 15c.

Anyway it does help in Scotland a lot more people are buying bags for life etc.

It wont leave people destitute put it that way.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Parked up in Trafford park for my dinner and there right next to my truck was a carrier bag with a man utd shirt in it abandoned on the pavement .bloody expensive waste of 5p for a bag that

We're paying 22 cent for the past few years.

I do a lot of these things to help the planet, but as we do, it is still being destroyed by the powers that be, I still do it, but it seems like a futile effort in the face of big companies and politicians etc.

used to pay for bags a few years ago - but im pretty good at taking the bag for life wherever i shop - overall im not too bothered

think more could be done with supermarkets packaging though - imo

Got used to it already. No problem. Hate supermarket bags. Such a waste of resources and such a horrible thing to chuck in landfill.

Lidl and Aldi have always done it. I've got a load of those long life bags that you buy from ASDA for 38p, they are great bags only problem being is that I always forget about them and leave them in the boot of the car

"I do a lot of these things to help the planet, but as we do, it is still being destroyed by the powers that be, I still do it, but it seems like a futile effort in the face of big companies and politicians etc. "

I think this particular initiative will go a long way to reducing an obvious environmental problem. Yes, more could be done elsewhere, but credit where it is due, eh? The proceeds from the sale of bags for once does not go to central government, but to charities. What is there not to like? Perhaps the price should be more than 5p?

I've been using my own bags for years

"think more could be done with supermarkets packaging though - imo"

Totally agree. Individual bananas packed in polystyrene and plastic, really?!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'd like to know how we are going to be recompensed by the supermarkets.

Our shopping costs until today paid for the goods, service and the provision of free bags. They're not providing them now, so owe me.

It's been this way In marks and spencer for years. Makes no difference to me. 5p isn't going to break the bank!! But I do see a lot of people complaining about it!!!

"I'd like to know how we are going to be recompensed by the supermarkets.

Our shopping costs until today paid for the goods, service and the provision of free bags. They're not providing them now, so owe me.

"

It was an overhead. It is still an overhead as the money raised goes to charity.

"I do a lot of these things to help the planet, but as we do, it is still being destroyed by the powers that be, I still do it, but it seems like a futile effort in the face of big companies and politicians etc.

I think this particular initiative will go a long way to reducing an obvious environmental problem. Yes, more could be done elsewhere, but credit where it is due, eh? The proceeds from the sale of bags for once does not go to central government, but to charities. What is there not to like? Perhaps the price should be more than 5p?"

I agree it's a good thing to do, and I support it, especially in light of the number of Turtles killed by bags, but every effort is so small in relation to the overall problem, and it has taken years from realisation to reality. I don't use plastic bags when shopping, I've used hemp ones for years. Just hope to see much more.

If there that concerned about the enviroment why not ditch the plastic bags and go back to good old bio degradable paper bags and carriers ????????

By *ree68Man  over a year ago

Manchester

Utter bollox Eco tax from the tree hugging lunatics

"Went to river island they charged me 5p not bothered but do think when you spend over a certain amount should be free lol"

They are not allowed to give them free, we have been buying bags for a while now(Scotland) and it does make you keep the bags in the car we buy the 10p bags rather than the 5p bags.

we been buying our bags for about four years or so, the thing that annows me is that you are only supposed to pay for bags with handles but some drive ins charge you for a little brown bag i dont buy obv xxxx

Panniers n rucksack

"Utter bollox Eco tax from the tree hugging lunatics "

Well reasoned. I may change my view of the issue.

Erm in Ireland the plastic bag levy has been in effect for almost ten years. 21cent for a bag here. Has cut people dumping plastic bags all over the place.

Tomcat

"Went to river island they charged me 5p not bothered but do think when you spend over a certain amount should be free lol"

No, I do think they should have to ask you if you want one first though if they charge you, I've been into a few shops where they have just put the items in one of their bags and charged for the bag without even asking if I wanted it

i use to save my old bags just incase til the day we moved house, they just crumbled in my hand, took ages to clear it up.

I never go tesco without my bag for life. This is only a tiny tiny thing they are doing though, think bout all that food waste every single day that could easily go to homeless or food banks but cuz of an expiry date or a dent in the packaging its not allowed.

Then also think about where they source all the food, just because a carrot has an odd shape, its not good enough.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

i expect to still use the same number of bags and not be deterred by the 5p charge.

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

5p isn't much but when you do online shopping its easier to get it bagged BUT they have no idea how to pack and often have one item in one bag using way too many

Its a brilliant idea we have had it in Wales for a few years now and there is a major drop in the amount littering about and.un landfill.

In England though lots of places are exempt.

"Its a brilliant idea we have had it in Wales for a few years now and there is a major drop in the amount littering about and.un landfill.

In England though lots of places are exempt.

"

Recently spent a week in North Wales, didn't see ONE carrier bag blowing around on the streets like I do back home

here

I got 2 for the price of one today

"What do you think of the news that supermarkets will charge 5p per bag from today and will it change how you do your shopping? It follows suit with wales and Scotland as they already have it. It wont affect me as such as 5p is not much, do you recon it will help and save the planet as well?"
It won't help save the planet, but it will go a long way to preserve various wildlife on rivers and lakes.

By *km45Man  over a year ago

UTTOXETER

Don't mind the charge but should be in plain bags as why should I pay to advertise for them. Thinking of sending the companies I shop at a bill for this.

"think more could be done with supermarkets packaging though - imo"

They seriously need to look at reducing all packaging. Some industries do.

"5p isn't much but when you do online shopping its easier to get it bagged BUT they have no idea how to pack and often have one item in one bag using way too many"

I hate that too!

"What do you think of the news that supermarkets will charge 5p per bag from today and will it change how you do your shopping? It follows suit with wales and Scotland as they already have it. It wont affect me as such as 5p is not much, do you recon it will help and save the planet as well?"

Should have done it years ago, I have a stach of carrier bags and reusable recyclables ones. Why do small shops not have to comply though that is stupid!

Been paying 5p for carriers in Wales for ages so really doesn't bother me. I think it is a good idea though and encourages people to re use their bags other than throw away. I have a full boot full of bags for life if anyone wants a few lol xx

By *ildt123Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield

It's a con, nothing to do with the environment it's about profit.

The few plastic bags I use go as bin liners, now I'll buy bin liners as they are cheaper this won't help the planet in any way. If it was about the planet not money the supermarkets that make millions would produce biodegradable bags and give them for free.

The government would subsidise biodegradable bags and make them cheaper.

It's small step in the right direction although there should be a base charge with no exceptions but ultimately plastic bags should be banned outright and replaced with paper.

I'm going to stand outside tesco tomorrow and sell the 5 million bags I have for 3p each. Kerching!!

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

There are guidelines on when to charge and not to charge, as this is actually a tax. I know it sounds funny, but I was reading it online a little while ago.

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

"If there that concerned about the enviroment why not ditch the plastic bags and go back to good old bio degradable paper bags and carriers ????????"
I have actually seen Plastic bags the one,s like from asda or The co-op when they have been out doors In the environment over a few years they Will break up, I had some once exposed in a old open garage to the outdoors, I remember picking them up and they just crumbled up, but of Course things can suffer wildlife etc long before that happens, I personally Either use a blue tesco bag with ladybirds on or a large morrisons shopping bag, very handy for getting Sliced bread in and milk plus a few more Items before my arm gives up..

derby

"Utter bollox Eco tax from the tree hugging lunatics "
Hey your a tree I,ll give you a hug.. haha..

derby

"5p isn't much but when you do online shopping its easier to get it bagged BUT they have no idea how to pack and often have one item in one bag using way too many"
yes thats true, and usually there is a tear in one Or more If I,m paying for them now I wonder if that will stop. most likely it won,t.

Almost 5 years we've been paying for bags here, I'm used to it now and besides the money goes to local charities so can't really complain.

"Funniest thing I saw today on Facebook was this: "realising you have about fifty grand worth of plastic bags under your sink" it's true I have bags in bags in bags all over!!!"

Haha me too

I have bags for life in the boot of the car and always forget to take them in the shop with me

"It's a con, nothing to do with the environment it's about profit.

The few plastic bags I use go as bin liners, now I'll buy bin liners as they are cheaper this won't help the planet in any way. If it was about the planet not money the supermarkets that make millions would produce biodegradable bags and give them for free.

"

How is it a con?

I was told by the cashier that the 5 p I paid for my bag go's directly to charity so win win, however I will be taking bags in the future as I have a back log

I have masses of bags for life, but I never seem to be able to remember to take them when I go to the shop I can see me spending a lot of 5ps in the foreseeable future

By *acLe0dMan  over a year ago

Preston

Well what you'll find is that those that took a bag for one item like a paper or greetings card for example will no longer take them. And if an item has a handle they might use that instead of taking a bag

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

A long time ago, I was asked if I wanted a bag for life - I said, no thanks, I've only just divorced the last one

"

We currently use about 500,000 barrels of oil a day making plastic wrappings for products!

Plastics come from oil, a non renewable item!. The more plastic wrapping shit we use the more c02 goes in the atmosphere and the more plastic waste enters the biosphere!

Biodegradable plastic uses more oil per bag as they have to add more chemicals to the original chemicals to get them to brake down and even then you need sunlight or heat to be the catalyst.

The real problem is the 5p needs to be 50p as a real deterrent.

My bag for life lasted a few days....im rscared tp leave the house now!

By *_nny MCMan  over a year ago

Crawley

Like others have said earlier, I've been using carrier bags for bin liners, so will now be buying proper bin liners, so still generating just as much waste. Try to remember to take bags for life when I go shopping, but my memory sucks.

Oh, and the carrier bags that have disintegrated whilst in storage were probably put away wet.

By *ittenandthepirateCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

"If there that concerned about the enviroment why not ditch the plastic bags and go back to good old bio degradable paper bags and carriers ????????

I have actually seen Plastic bags the one,s like from asda or The co-op when they have been out doors In the environment over a few years they Will break up, I had some once exposed in a old open garage to the outdoors, I remember picking them up and they just crumbled up, but of Course things can suffer wildlife etc long before that happens, I personally Either use a blue tesco bag with ladybirds on or a large morrisons shopping bag, very handy for getting Sliced bread in and milk plus a few more Items before my arm gives up.. "

They aren't biodegradable though so even if they break up and crumble, there'll still be tiny bits of plastic contaminating the ground, waterways etc.

"About time too, apparently one of the largest man made "things" is a vast island of plastic bags circulating the north Pacific.

We're slowly choking the planet "

In ireland we ve had it years, and now a great success - think it's about €.022 a bag now if now more but something positive that the government did, well that I would give the praise for that I do give them any praise

The smoking ban in years and years

And the plastic bag tax

Yes I got hit with this yesterday and Got a thick plastic bag from Sainsbury a reusable one which I am just not organised enough to think reuse before I go out the door !!

We currently use about 500,000 barrels of oil a day making plastic wrappings for products!

Plastics come from oil, a non renewable item!. The more plastic wrapping shit we use the more c02 goes in the atmosphere and the more plastic waste enters the biosphere!

Biodegradable plastic uses more oil per bag as they have to add more chemicals to the original chemicals to get them to brake down and even then you need sunlight or heat to be the catalyst.

The real problem is the 5p needs to be 50p as a real deterrent."

You love a good statistic so why don't you quote some to prove that 5p a bag has not had an impact in Wales, Scotland and Ireland?

By *inathetartTV/TS  over a year ago

DERBY

just wondering some supermarket reactions when one goes shopping say at asda but with sainsburys bags for life,other supermarkets are available to shop at too,lol.

"just wondering some supermarket reactions when one goes shopping say at asda but with sainsburys bags for life,other supermarkets are available to shop at too,lol."

i do this all the time - bright orange sainsburys bag at tesco - they dont bother neither do i

"think more could be done with supermarkets packaging though - imo

They seriously need to look at reducing all packaging. Some industries do. "

So have all shops employed someone to audit all the bags? Because I know first hand that their are loop holes to this charge, not as though I went into waitrose on the self service machine thingy and was totally honest about the one bag I used...ahem!

The real problem is the 5p needs to be 50p as a real deterrent.You love a good statistic so why don't you quote some to prove that 5p a bag has not had an impact in Wales, Scotland and Ireland? "

Don't need statistic for Ireland - it's bloody worked and made a huge improvement. Example when u drive around there s feck all bags on the ground.

But 5p is nothing - you'll need to jack the price up to 50 / 60 p to make a difference and with no exception what ur buying

derby

"Well what you'll find is that those that took a bag for one item like a paper or greetings card for example will no longer take them. And if an item has a handle they might use that instead of taking a bag"
yes thats where the corner shop comes useful, paper brown bag for that and Hopefully don,t charge for any other bags, happy shopper and the like keeping Fingers crossed here.

We've had it over here for 4 years now and love it. Even when you forget your bag, people drops off spares in a big box at the supermarket that people can just use. The rule is you drop off one or two there next time you are in.

I always have 4 in the car and make sure to get rid of extras in the drop off

derby

"If there that concerned about the enviroment why not ditch the plastic bags and go back to good old bio degradable paper bags and carriers ????????

I have actually seen Plastic bags the one,s like from asda or The co-op when they have been out doors In the environment over a few years they Will break up, I had some once exposed in a old open garage to the outdoors, I remember picking them up and they just crumbled up, but of Course things can suffer wildlife etc long before that happens, I personally Either use a blue tesco bag with ladybirds on or a large morrisons shopping bag, very handy for getting Sliced bread in and milk plus a few more Items before my arm gives up..

They aren't biodegradable though so even if they break up and crumble, there'll still be tiny bits of plastic contaminating the ground, waterways etc. "

Thats Interesting I did,nt know that, I suppose when you Look at that from a national scale thats not good, on a slightly different note I,ve seen in the past Plastic carrier bags or parts of them Like the bio degradable ones they mention even woven into birds nests, like blackbirds and mistle thrushs, A number of resident birds would use them like this either for show or structure tucked away in a hedge or tree somewhere, I think the good old paper brown bags depending on thickness easily tore or got wet, but I do agree they were degradable.

Bloody hell its everywhere thought it was just groceries luckily had a bag with me also got a fold up M&S bag yesterday so note to self Remember to take it clothes shopping

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

I see more MacDonalds wrappers dumped at the side of the road than carrier bags.

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan  over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

The real problem is the 5p needs to be 50p as a real deterrent.You love a good statistic so why don't you quote some to prove that 5p a bag has not had an impact in Wales, Scotland and Ireland?

Don't need statistic for Ireland - it's bloody worked and made a huge improvement. Example when u drive around there s feck all bags on the ground.

But 5p is nothing - you'll need to jack the price up to 50 / 60 p to make a difference and with no exception what ur buying "

Exactly. It won't drastically change people's behaviour, because 5p is nothing. If it was say, £1, for one, people really would think twice!

By *illbillMan  over a year ago

dublin

"Apparently they did this in Ireland at 5c per bag now its 15c.

Anyway it does help in Scotland a lot more people are buying bags for life etc.

It wont leave people destitute put it that way."

you would be amazed at how cleaner places become....no bags strewn about or caught up in trees...it can only be a good thing

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Not impressed to be fair. Fell foul of it today. It's a matter of principle: if I've spent over £100 to then charge me for the bags to carry them away is a cheek.

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We have a sign up on the office door reminding folks to take a bag out with them as we are fed up of people moaning already

It's been in force here for a year now and there wasn't much fuss made. Yet a friend just sent me a link to a news article talking about outraged shoppers.

Seriously!??! With all that's going on in the world this shouldn't even be news worthy. Also really it's 5p. Take your own or empty your trolley in to your boot. I see no big deal.

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

quite amusing reading the posts of people predicting what life is going to be like after this. just deal with it and move on

"What do you think of the news that supermarkets will charge 5p per bag from today and will it change how you do your shopping? It follows suit with wales and Scotland as they already have it. It wont affect me as such as 5p is not much, do you recon it will help and save the planet as well?

Not impressed to be fair. Fell foul of it today. It's a matter of principle: if I've spent over £100 to then charge me for the bags to carry them away is a cheek. "

the money collected goes to charity not to the retailer

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

"Don't mind the charge but should be in plain bags as why should I pay to advertise for them. Thinking of sending the companies I shop at a bill for this. "

You should definitely do that. That'll teach them for sure

here

"What do you think of the news that supermarkets will charge 5p per bag from today and will it change how you do your shopping? It follows suit with wales and Scotland as they already have it. It wont affect me as such as 5p is not much, do you recon it will help and save the planet as well?

Not impressed to be fair. Fell foul of it today. It's a matter of principle: if I've spent over £100 to then charge me for the bags to carry them away is a cheek.

the money collected goes to charity not to the retailer"

But the vat collected does go to the Treasury

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 06/10/15 14:32:18]

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

why pay 5p for a plastic bag when you can have a whole trolley for a quid

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Good

Asda were giving away bags for life a few months ago to encourage people to use them. "

When the Sainsbury near us opened we got 9 bags-for-life. Somehow we're down to one, so I am being very careful now when I cross the road, just in case...

Mr ddc

Didn't we use to do more recycling and stuff years ago? Reusing milk bottles for example? Also back in the day carrier bags wasn't used much, we had two trolley bags in the days before conveyor belts!!

[Removed by poster at 24/10/15 16:24:57]

But the vat collected does go to the Treasury "

is there VAT on the 5p?

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

But the vat collected does go to the Treasury

is there VAT on the 5p? "

Yes.

They don't charge in primark

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I got a couple of bags for life from sainsburys and when I lifted them out of my cars boot the bloody handle broke. Bag for half an hour more like!!!!

"I got a couple of bags for life from sainsburys and when I lifted them out of my cars boot the bloody handle broke. Bag for half an hour more like!!!! "

Bag for lifes can be taken back once damaged/broken and swapped for a new one for free

"They don't charge in primark "

They do up here...

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I have strong bags form different supermarkets and leave them in the boot of the car.

Whichever supermarket I end up at I use a different store's bag.

I have a boot full of different bags and sometimes still forget to get them out when I go shopping .

» Add a new message to this topic