FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > No heating- A re-cap

No heating- A re-cap

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *-and-K OP   Couple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Well sat here in good old Hull, daytime temperature outside is minus 4, inside temperature is the SAME!

Collected Karen from the rail station at lunchtime on wednesday, got home and the heating was off, inspected the combi boiler and it was showing a fault. Rang British Gas and they said we'll be round to fix it on FRIDAY!! :shock: :shock: Told them we had no heating or hot water, the combi boiler is our only source of heat.

Can't do anything about it we are full stretched until then. So we have endured wednesday, thursday with no heating or hot water. Gas fitter comes this morning and once checked over and much swearing down his phone, leaves with it unfixed. The fan unit he requires was in stock, at a depot 100 miles away in Nottingham! So he's most put out that he has to call back tomorrow saturday to fix it.

Meanwhile we are sat here with no heat for a third day/night and let me tell you it is bloody cold inside, wrapped in coats and fleeces. Went out to Tesco this lunchtime and bought an electric fan heater, but its ridiculous how much heat it is not giving out, waste of 20 quid!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

poor you, weve been having a similar problem with our washing machine, not in the same league i know but annoying all the same, hope you get some heat soon

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Well sat here in good old Hull, daytime temperature outside is minus 4, inside temperature is the SAME!

Collected Karen from the rail station at lunchtime on wednesday, got home and the heating was off, inspected the combi boiler and it was showing a fault. Rang British Gas and they said we'll be round to fix it on FRIDAY!! :shock: :shock: Told them we had no heating or hot water, the combi boiler is our only source of heat.

Can't do anything about it we are full stretched until then. So we have endured wednesday, thursday with no heating or hot water. Gas fitter comes this morning and once checked over and much swearing down his phone, leaves with it unfixed. The fan unit he requires was in stock, at a depot 100 miles away in Nottingham! So he's most put out that he has to call back tomorrow saturday to fix it.

Meanwhile we are sat here with no heat for a third day/night and let me tell you it is bloody cold inside, wrapped in coats and fleeces. Went out to Tesco this lunchtime and bought an electric fan heater, but its ridiculous how much heat it is not giving out, waste of 20 quid!"

Oh bloody hell thats totally unreasonable, what about a group hug? Body heat n all that?

"Well sat here in good old Hull, daytime temperature outside is minus 4, inside temperature is the SAME!

Meanwhile we are sat here with no heat for a third day/night and let me tell you it is bloody cold inside, wrapped in coats and fleeces. Went out to Tesco this lunchtime and bought an electric fan heater, but its ridiculous how much heat it is not giving out, waste of 20 quid!"

Can you not pick up a calor gas heater and pick up some bottled gas? better than freezing to death...

By *-and-K OP   Couple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

Its just not worth paying out the money that is involved, reasonable heater will be 70 quid or so and a bottle of gas after the paperwork and deposit will be about 40.

The electric heater is going up to sons bedroom shortly, even he's complaining how cold it is while online gaiming We're off to friends for a couple of hours, then straight home to bed

You so much take central heating for granted! Our home is so warm normally you can wear Tshirt and shorts all year round.

"Its just not worth paying out the money that is involved, reasonable heater will be 70 quid or so and a bottle of gas after the paperwork and deposit will be about 40.

The electric heater is going up to sons bedroom shortly, even he's complaining how cold it is while online gaiming We're off to friends for a couple of hours, then straight home to bed

You so much take central heating for granted! Our home is so warm normally you can wear Tshirt and shorts all year round. "

Shame ur not closer could have borrowed mine... xxx

By *nothercoupleCouple  over a year ago

Alderholt

How about telling British Gas where to stick their contract?

Most heating engineers/plumbers would have fixed that same day, next day at worst.

I know all about what your going through.

Ever since I moved into this flat my combi boiler has played up - it works when the engineer comes out but the second he gets in his van and starts the engine it packs up!!

I have been on the phone to the housing association and the company supposed to repair and service the boilers sooooooo many times I have given up counting.

Everytime they say someone will come out and see if they can fix it - HAHA bloody liars no one has yet found the fault and they have replaced half the boiler with new parts, each time telling me its sorted.

LIARS cos guess what its packed up again in the last week about 10 times. We now have everyone in the living room with the fire on, and boiling water in the kettle to wash.

When it does come on we leave it on until it packs up.

So my flat has two temps - boiling or freezing

Shona

x x x

if it makes you feel any better, i just endured those 10 days that we had the first big freeze with no heat or hot water... -15 outside and no-one could get to us (which was bollocks).

i have two very young kids and it was a case of huddle up together

By *orestersCouple  over a year ago

The Forest

Don't know if you're much at DIY, but if the combi boiler's still working, have you checked the pump is switched on/working properly? It's usually in the airing cupboard if you've got one, with an electric switch nearby. Sometimes they're switched off by accident if there are clothes in the cupboard.

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

Honey, if it's -4 outside AND inside, you need to do more to insulate your house!

You can do simple things yourself, closing curtains when it gets dark, using draught excluders etc.

Try lighting some tealights if you have some. It sounds daft but when it's that cold, they will bring the temp up a bit. Lots of thin layers rather than a couple of thick ones.

Do you have a slow cooker? You could fill it with water and turn it on in the room you're in (with the door shut!)

Worst comes to the worst - blast the hairdryer for a few mins - again, it will take the chill off.

The voice of experience here - our boiler went for a week in Jan when we had the bad spell. The worst it got in our house tho was 6 degrees after a week - and our house is badly insulated!

Hope you get it sorted soon.

*Her*

» Add a new message to this topic