FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > non religious schools

non religious schools

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My kids go to a school that's not religious based... so why do I have to put up with the Christmas story from them... I actually asked why they can't learn about yule as well.

So now I will spend a few weeks of my kids harping on about Jesus and his birthday... I have to bite my tongue and not point out that Jesus was not born on Christmas day.

But why shove it down kids throats.

Katie x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Tradition?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

fun?

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I suppose for small children it is one of the most magical times of their lives.. all innocent and believing, loving the idea of a small baby being born in a stable and wise men and all that... singing 'away in a manger', the lights, nativity plays and being a shepherd or maybe even mary or joseph.. being watched from the 3rd or 4th row by a proud mum/dad/gran with tears in their eyes...

then... when a wee bit older, they get told by a classmate that Santa isn't real... it your mum and dad.

it's never really the same again..

then they find out about wars, crimes and the cruelty exist in this crazy world.....

What I'm saying is why just the one story for this time of year.

It just annoy's me that all the other lovely festive stories are forgotten.

We give our kids all the info they need to get to adulthood and then decide for themselves whether they want to believe in it or not.

No belief can be a safe one if it's borne out of ignorance.

I wonder how you'll feel in years to come of they decide that birthdays are a nonsense as well (because you've taught them that Jesus' birthday is incorrect and/or irrelevant), and you don't get any birthday cards or presents from them.

You reap what you sow.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"What I'm saying is why just the one story for this time of year.

It just annoy's me that all the other lovely festive stories are forgotten. "

Have you suggested it to the school? Lots welcome participation from parents? What stories were you thinking of?

" ..........

But why shove it down kids throats.

............. "

Brainwashing. It's easier to get people to believe shite if you start feeding it to them when they're young.

There's also a huge religious and commercial imperative to keep the myth going.

...and it's jolly good fun for a few weeks. I wonder what they do in China around this time as they're shivering in the fookin cold with their one permissable child?

What a sorry state we'd be in if we had to live like that eh?

"If we had to live like that" - that's the point, isn't it?

We don't HAVE to - we have the choice. Some of us who've thought about the nonsense that is Christmas have chosen not to celebrate it.

If others wish to continue to lie to their weans and perpetuate the myth - that's up to them.

dirtybigbadsgirlville

""If we had to live like that" - that's the point, isn't it?

We don't HAVE to - we have the choice. Some of us who've thought about the nonsense that is Christmas have chosen not to celebrate it.

If others wish to continue to lie to their weans and perpetuate the myth - that's up to them. "

well if thats the case then parents have the choice whether or not their children participate or not

I asked the school about looking at the different ways countrie's celebrated that time of year, and to look at yule..seeing as Christmas stole a lot from it.

But was told that the children needed to learn about the true meaning of Christmas. My reply was so we should tell them it was brought about to try and not cause mass riots when Christianity was new And wanting to cover all the heathen festivals.

I remember at my school we did the story of a mouse who wanted to get home.for Christmas. It incorporated the Christmas story but also covered why we have the decorations x

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Why dont we all tell the little kids that santa isnt real and cancel christmas !

"Why dont we all tell the little kids that santa isnt real and cancel christmas ! "

Santa is something for the kids to believe in. but all I am saying is that there has been a festival at this time of year pretty much since people had organised religion.

I chose not to have religion forced on my children as I think that kids are to easily influenced.

THere are just other things that I think could be taught as well.. as the history of where Santa came from makes a good story too.

Katie.

Not entirely sure how any school can educate children without religion being involved one way or another, children will always ask questions.

"Not entirely sure how any school can educate children without religion being involved one way or another, children will always ask questions. "

Of course they will and parents can decide to tell them the truth ..... or perpetuate the myth of a sky fairy which is still put about by assorted paid liars in fancy dress.

"Not entirely sure how any school can educate children without religion being involved one way or another, children will always ask questions. "

I dont mind them learning some but not when they are told THATS IT... That is the only version. That is the gospel so to speak. If I had wanted that I would have listened to my Father and had them go to a CofE school.

Last year I taught my 9 year old about Yule, and the ancient festivals that Christmas replaces.. and he went to school and was told that it was all rubbish.

I love the school plays, but just think that they could vary it and include other things into it.

Katie.

» Add a new message to this topic