FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Whose to blame ?

Whose to blame ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Watching tv and hearing that 90% of kids leave school without bieng able to spell.

The powers that be say that gcse, exams should be marked on their spelling along with everything else.

I agree with this sentiment though a little late in the day...

So whose to blame ?

The schools / teachers or the parents ?

Personally i think its a joint venture.

My son had a little tin with words in ..He had to learn them while at home and they had a spelling test each week.

So i used to sit with him and help...

That isnt done a lot these days by some parents.

Its said we are bringing up kids who have no ability to read and write, using only text speak etc.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

kids are distracted by so many other things that learning has taken a back step.

they want video games, mobile phone, sky tv in room and internet.

not interested in anything else and they kick up until they get it.

Parents!

But surely those things should be earned ?

My son had to earn his rewards and i didnt JUST buy to placate him.

He did his homework. had a few chores which in todays society is a dirty word .

He learned that things need paying for and working for.

agree its up to both, a caring parent will always make sure thier kid is doing well at school.

heres a thought, maybe we shouldnt worry so much about the ones that dont do well at school, they prob come from an un careing family, so have the same jeans.

just a thought, survival of the fittest which seems to have been forgoten and will be the human downfall.

So...parents!

"Parents!"

Im not sure that they are on their own.

If i was a teacher i would be mortified if the kids im teaching leave without learning the basics.

Thats their job..to teach.

"Parents!

Im not sure that they are on their own.

If i was a teacher i would be mortified if the kids im teaching leave without learning the basics.

Thats their job..to teach.

"

Exactly right...it is their job.A teacher does not and cannot raise a child!

Blame it on the parents is that it well the kids are at school for at least five hours a day. I think at school they try to teach the kids too much too soon and it does'nt sink in. Go back to basics the three r's thats what primary levels are supposed to be.

its easy to blame the parents all the time..we have a son who left school with nothing as he hated it,and another son who is currently at uni..they were treated exactly the same and were parented the same and attended same school..so wheres the answer ?

It's a parent's job and duty to raise a child.

An african proverb says " it takes a village to raise a child"

Though todays kids have no chance or dont care enough to want to learn and for that ...i do blame the parents.

"its easy to blame the parents all the time..we have a son who left school with nothing as he hated it,and another son who is currently at uni..they were treated exactly the same and were parented the same and attended same school..so wheres the answer ?"

Are both children happy?

The 3 r,s always makes me smile..

Reading, Riting, and Rithmatic

"An african proverb says " it takes a village to raise a child"

Though todays kids have no chance or dont care enough to want to learn and for that ...i do blame the parents. "

I think the proverd alludes to the family and extended family...that is fine if you have that luxury...not all parents do.

the problem is we are in the 2nd generation of people who dont think they have to work for a living, its not their fault it is however a fact.

the only way is, and its harsh and im sur many will jump at me for this, to stop all dole money now, except for those who have aplyed for at least 5 jobs a day for the last week and been to every interview offered, and give a relocation grant to those who are offered a job in another district, aslong as no one in the district cant do it.

in short we need to break th something for nothing culture we have now and we need to break it fast as having traveled alot this year we are a laughing stock abroard, if they can see it why cant we???

Not so sure about that...

When i was young, the whole street watched out for you. You couldnt get away with anything as someone would tell your mom and visa versa.

When my son was young we did the same thing and we would watch ALL the kids, not just our own.

And tell them off if they got up to mischief.

You cant do that these days for fear of reprisals off both the parents and the kids themselves.

So no body bothers anymore.

Its a sad world were living in.

"the problem is we are in the 2nd generation of people who dont think they have to work for a living, its not their fault it is however a fact.

the only way is, and its harsh and im sur many will jump at me for this, to stop all dole money now, except for those who have aplyed for at least 5 jobs a day for the last week and been to every interview offered, and give a relocation grant to those who are offered a job in another district, aslong as no one in the district cant do it.

in short we need to break th something for nothing culture we have now and we need to break it fast as having traveled alot this year we are a laughing stock abroard, if they can see it why cant we???

"

I'm guessing you are happily employed?

People seem to be under the impression that we have compulsory schooling in this country. We don't. We have compulsory full-time education and it's the parent's duty to provide it. Now, they can either elect a school to take on that task (as most people do) or they can find an alternative if they feel the school system isn't up to the job.

So if a child isn't being educated to the standard a parent expects or likes, they can either supplement that education at home or exercise their right to educate their child 'otherwise'.

"The 3 r,s always makes me smile..

Reading, Riting, and Rithmatic "

Yes but without the foundations how will they grow.

"the problem is we are in the 2nd generation of people who dont think they have to work for a living, its not their fault it is however a fact.

I'm guessing you are happily employed?"

no im self employed in prob one of the worst hit industrys of the rececion

i work in motorsport which is def a goes first trade.

and in the last few years ive had my earnings half if not more and have had some omg how are we going to pay for the month moments.

but i didnt give in and got work doing anything, just to earn a very small amount of money, and there is work it maybe not your perfect job but there is work.

i have never claimed as i see the dole as for those who cant work however i can so will do any job going to see food on our table, and now work has picked up again for me so appy days for me but, there is no excuse for turning down any job and trust me ive done some bad ones but they still pay.

ps i have many degrees and am a doctor in more than one field, if i can work as a grass cutter in the parks anyone can, its all about attatude, either you want to earn a life for your familr or you donr, if you dont then you are worese than the imigrants that people are so happy to slag off, at least they want to work

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

I'm guessing you are happily employed?

no im self employed in prob one of the worst hit industrys of the rececion

i work in motorsport which is def a goes first trade.

and in the last few years ive had my earnings half if not more and have had some omg how are we going to pay for the month moments.

but i didnt give in and got work doing anything, just to earn a very small amount of money, and there is work it maybe not your perfect job but there is work.

i have never claimed as i see the dole as for those who cant work however i can so will do any job going to see food on our table, and now work has picked up again for me so appy days for me but, there is no excuse for turning down any job and trust me ive done some bad ones but they still pay.

ps i have many degrees and am a doctor in more than one field, if i can work as a grass cutter in the parks anyone can, its all about attatude, either you want to earn a life for your familr or you donr, if you dont then you are worese than the imigrants that people are so happy to slag off, at least they want to work"

You have many degrees and are a doctor in more than one field?.....wow

Who is (or Who's) to blame?

Everyone who allows spelling mistakes to go uncorrected, and say it is not important etc...

"Many degrees and a doctor in more than one field"

By *iggles and BeardyCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

""Many degrees and a doctor in more than one field" "

See now in another thread, sombody claiming that, may have been classed as a carear student sponger scared to enter the real world, while others worked thier arss off :P

My splling is awfull, have attended many courses, to try and improve it, but words all look odd to me, so I end up correcting things spellt corrctly into how my mind says they should look.

On the bright side my 4yr old son can log onto a pc, launch programs, brows the web and generaly do what what he needs and count to 20.

My autistic daughter is improving in her school work, regardlss of all monetary ai given to the school being removed for special needs teaching, thanks to our govermnet cuts to those who need aid the most, but hey she is autistic so the country has no use for her.

Not bad for a dole sponging git, who obviosly cant be bothered to find a job or teach his kids.

Arnt generaliations great

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

A school can only follow the curriculum…. if it’s not in the syllabus, it’s not their fault.

By *nvictusMan  over a year ago

Beeston

Fair point.

I often take my 5 year old son to look at the toys when we are in the supermarket and he already knows that he won't necessarily get anything, yet the times I see older kids screaming the shop down until their parents give in and buy them something...

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

I personally think that parents should also 'teach' their children in addition to what they are taught in class, too many parents just plonk their children in front of the telly or pc rather than interact with them, it's plain laziness but if they are in the 'I don't need to work and am owed everything' generation then they probably don't see the need for an education. And I don't just mean spelling and grammar I mean being illiterate which is totally different. Z

I feel the schools are . My own children was like me had Dyslixia i had a go at sending them to the noraml schools but thay was offerd very little help 1 or 2 hours a week and told lets face it will never do well and that was the head master... so i sent them all to the best schools and payed i felt i had more control doing that bording schools... has it payed of yes thay can read and wright even at un and in the family Business maybe if my local schools had been better would been ok. Just i new how i was let down by my schools could not have that for my children thay new i could not read and wright well and said thay had not the time for me. My mum and dad was working 24/7 and i never see them alot my gran was the one who would help me. jo x

» Add a new message to this topic