FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Semi colon tattoos

Semi colon tattoos

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ee Viante OP   Woman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I only just heard about this but I think it's a cool idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33540232

If it's not too personal a question, does anyone here have one?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No but am considering getting one..

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Saw them about a year ago and yes I would have one, if they became more popular it would be something that was instantly recognisable to others but I feel it may be more of the younger generation that will have them done

Oh and I only know one person with one

A colleague at work has one.

I'm considering getting one now.

I usually avoid trend things but I like the symbolism of this.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

http://www.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/405793

"http://www.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/405793

"

Thank you. I was away from here at the time that was being discussed.

I think some of the comments on that thread show how much stigma still surrounds mental health difficulties.

Some people don't seem to realise that you can also have the tattoo in recognition of someone else who has made it through bad times, or just to support the project and promote awareness. Not everyone who has one will have had mental ill health or will have been suicidal.

Rather than an advertisement to anyone else, it's a reminder that you always have with you that you can get through the bad times.

I'm disappointed (but not surprised) anyone would say they would think badly of, or have no faith in, anyone with one.

People who have survived periods of suicidal ideation should be able to be proud of that, without being regarded as weak, damaged, or whatever because they went through it.

Thank you. I was away from here at the time that was being discussed."

It was an interesting exchange.

"

I read it. Some of the comments and attitudes are disappointing.

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

I want one only a small one for me no one else

I read it. Some of the comments and attitudes are disappointing."

I've just read your latest post. Disappointing but not surprising. As I said before, it's not for me. Of course I wouldn't have any tattoo of any sort so it is never likely to be the way I would speak out.

"I think some of the comments on that thread show how much stigma still surrounds mental health difficulties.

Some people don't seem to realise that you can also have the tattoo in recognition of someone else who has made it through bad times, or just to support the project and promote awareness. Not everyone who has one will have had mental ill health or will have been suicidal.

Rather than an advertisement to anyone else, it's a reminder that you always have with you that you can get through the bad times.

I'm disappointed (but not surprised) anyone would say they would think badly of, or have no faith in, anyone with one.

People who have survived periods of suicidal ideation should be able to be proud of that, without being regarded as weak, damaged, or whatever because they went through it."

couldn't agree more, I've just read it most shocked to hear some would have less faith guess it just shows we haven't come as far with mental health as I thought.

I will express myself how I like whether shouting from the roof tops, quietly contemplating or getting a bloody tattoo.

"I think some of the comments on that thread show how much stigma still surrounds mental health difficulties.

People who have survived periods of suicidal ideation should be able to be proud of that, without being regarded as weak, damaged, or whatever because they went through it.couldn't agree more, I've just read it most shocked to hear some would have less faith guess it just shows we haven't come as far with mental health as I thought.

I will express myself how I like whether shouting from the roof tops, quietly contemplating or getting a bloody tattoo."

I'm possibly more likely to get one now and let the fuckers think I'm weak or unreliable or vulnerable.

People who have survived periods of suicidal ideation should be able to be proud of that, without being regarded as weak, damaged, or whatever because they went through it.couldn't agree more, I've just read it most shocked to hear some would have less faith guess it just shows we haven't come as far with mental health as I thought.

I will express myself how I like whether shouting from the roof tops, quietly contemplating or getting a bloody tattoo.

I'm possibly more likely to get one now and let the fuckers think I'm weak or unreliable or vulnerable."

I can't for the life of me see how fighting every fucking day of your life against mental health and surviving can be seen as vulnerable and not strong and positive but hey no as I said maybe we haven't come as far as I thought.

People who have survived periods of suicidal ideation should be able to be proud of that, without being regarded as weak, damaged, or whatever because they went through it."

Why does it bother you what other people think?

You could get the tattoo somewhere that only you know it's there.

I have been thinking about getting one for some months. If I do I personally feel it would have to be visible (probably on my hand) and that is what is making me hesitant

People who have survived periods of suicidal ideation should be able to be proud of that, without being regarded as weak, damaged, or whatever because they went through it.

You could get the tattoo somewhere that only you know it's there. "

what people think about the tattoo doesn't bother me, peoples attitudes to survivors of mental health as being classed as vulnerable bothers me.

Would you class a survivor of any other health issues as vulnerable or domestic violence or sexual abuse. No, you would say they where strong survivors and should be proud.

You could get the tattoo somewhere that only you know it's there. "

Because they are thinking it about people they know nothing about. Some of the most amazing, toughest, incredible people I know have been through mental health problems in the past. To hear judgements such as they're weak and that people will have less faith in them, slung casually about ticks me right the fuck off.

FFS, they're talking about some really amazing, incredibly influential people right through history when they're saying that people who have/had mental health problems are people they couldn't have any faith in.

I don't know if Winston Churchill ever had suicidal phases, but he certainly experienced mental ill health, yet I don't think anyone could say he was a man nobody could have faith in.

I don't give a shit what people think of me. They can think I'm weak if they like. If they try to take advantage of it, they'll find out they miscalculated.

If I get one I'll put it where I like and sod everyone else.

You could get the tattoo somewhere that only you know it's there. what people think about the tattoo doesn't bother me, peoples attitudes to survivors of mental health as being classed as vulnerable bothers me.

Would you class a survivor of any other health issues as vulnerable or domestic violence or sexual abuse. No, you would say they where strong survivors and should be proud.

"

^ this. This sums it up much better than I did.

x

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/30/tattoo-brilliantly-shows-the-battle-people-with-depression-face-every-day-5368068/#mv-a

Getting one in a couple of weeks

By *errocaWoman  over a year ago

Shropshire

I've had mine for about 6 years

Anyone else?

I have one.

Check in on someone. Regularly. Be there for them. Get off Netflix pick up the phone.

Fuck gesture tattoos. Walk the walk.

"Check in on someone. Regularly. Be there for them. Get off Netflix pick up the phone.

Fuck gesture tattoos. Walk the walk. "

Not necessarily a gesture tattoo.

And often too late to pick up the phone if you don’t know people are struggling.

I’ve had friends who are the life and soul of the party, strong characters, the last person I’d ever imagined were struggling and been woken up to calls informing me they’d committed suicide.

"Check in on someone. Regularly. Be there for them. Get off Netflix pick up the phone.

And often too late to pick up the phone if you don’t know people are struggling.

I’ve had friends who are the life and soul of the party, strong characters, the last person I’d ever imagined were struggling and been woken up to calls informing me they’d committed suicide.

"

This is it exactly. We often don’t know. We need more awareness of spotting the subtle clues, what to say. Tattoos aren’t gonna help.

Losing someone is heart breaking. Knowing they suffered in silence makes it so much worse.

And I’m so sorry for your loss

This is it exactly. We often don’t know. We need more awareness of spotting the subtle clues, what to say. Tattoos aren’t gonna help.

Losing someone is heart breaking. Knowing they suffered in silence makes it so much worse.

And I’m so sorry for your loss "

I agree tattoos don’t help.

I also appreciate that.

My tattoos are meaningful to me though, not so people see them and think “oh, he has a semi colon, I’ll reach out to him”.

I have more tattoos for dead people than I do living.

It’s just something people do to help them feel better I guess.

Plus a semi colon tattoo is better than a full colon tattoo…

Shropshire

Fuck gesture tattoos. Walk the walk. "

Sometimes it's not as easy as that.

You never can tell when someone is struggling, but when you see the semicolon, you know they were strong enough to continue this crazy life we're living.

Its not always easy to just talk.

Having lost many people to suicide and being on the brink myself, I don't see it as being a 'gesture tattoo' it's a sign of strength and courage.

You never can tell when someone is struggling, but when you see the semicolon, you know they were strong enough to continue this crazy life we're living.

Having lost many people to suicide and being on the brink myself, I don't see it as being a 'gesture tattoo' it's a sign of strength and courage. "

Might have been but appropriated as trendy I’ve met people with the tattoo who are self absorbed, and wearing it because its considered cool. Unless it’s backed up with actual actions then it’s just a gesture.

Shropshire

Having lost many people to suicide and being on the brink myself, I don't see it as being a 'gesture tattoo' it's a sign of strength and courage.

Might have been but appropriated as trendy I’ve met people with the tattoo who are self absorbed, and wearing it because its considered cool. Unless it’s backed up with actual actions then it’s just a gesture. "

With mental health cases rising all the time, I think showing compassion, empathy and kindness is something we can all strive to achieve.

"I only just heard about this but I think it's a cool idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33540232

If it's not too personal a question, does anyone here have one?"

Yes

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Seems a bit ridiculous to me. Why would someone be a reminder, they'd lived it, it's in their memory.

Will be taken up by many who need new social media content most likely.

Shropshire

"Seems a bit ridiculous to me. Why would someone be a reminder, they'd lived it, it's in their memory.

Will be taken up by many who need new social media content most likely. "

Its more about having that it to symbolise that you've been through it.. So if people see it, they maybe feel comfortable enough to reach out and talk about their feelings too.

By *affeine DuskMan  over a year ago

Caerphilly

"Seems a bit ridiculous to me. Why would someone be a reminder, they'd lived it, it's in their memory.

Will be taken up by many who need new social media content most likely.

Its more about having that it to symbolise that you've been through it.. So if people see it, they maybe feel comfortable enough to reach out and talk about their feelings too. "

Yep.

Will be taken up by many who need new social media content most likely. "

To remind you to pause!

By *oo..Woman  over a year ago

Boo's World

When I was sat in the tattoo shop a few weeks ago, a group of younger people came in asking for that tattoo.

Only 2 out of 5 of them knew what the tattoo was for when asked but were still prepared to have it done because the others were.

I have one on my wrist.

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"I've had mine for about 6 years

Anyone else? "

I missed this thread first time around and I’ve never heard of this. Interesting - thanks for highlighting again .

I don’t have tattoos, but I have had periods where suicidal ideation raged in my head, to the point where it seemed “normal”. If I had a tattoo of anything, it would be this, I reckon.

Only yesterday, I heard that a young guy I was chatting to about a month ago in London (friend of a friend) took his own life. Very sad.

The other reason I’m interested in this is that I’m a complete geek when it comes to the nuts and bolts of language. I LOVE a good semi-colon; I get a little giddy when I use them

Having lost many people to suicide and being on the brink myself, I don't see it as being a 'gesture tattoo' it's a sign of strength and courage. "

» Add a new message to this topic