FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Are we dumber or smarter?

Are we dumber or smarter?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *emmefatale OP   Woman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

In this age of information at the touch of a button?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eaboMan  over a year ago

marden

dumber. We rely less and less on memory and more on the internet. Information and 'how to's' are easier to find so i think we are dumber and lazyer (see i can't even bloody spell)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Sorry, don`t understand the question.

Wot?? Errr i dunno xx

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Wot?? Errr i dunno xx "
theres no hope for you anyway

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

definitely smarter. wothout the internet, I wouldn't know half the dirty thinkgs I know now

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"definitely smarter. wothout the internet, I wouldn't know half the dirty thinkgs I know now "
i seriously doubt that ya minx

Depends on what the button is attatched to?

Labour saving devices etc, smarter, google dumber, because we don't interact with people to find the answers, so the knowledge isn't passed on from person to person so readily.

Livingston

wheesht you... it sounded good

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"wheesht you... it sounded good "
oh sorry with a username like yours.....ooops ok il be quiet

By *ollie_JCouple  over a year ago

London

Dumber..

Everybody now can have an uneducated opinion

Livingston

"wheesht you... it sounded good oh sorry with a username like yours.....ooops ok il be quiet "

ssshhhhh, I've changed what it stands for lol

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"wheesht you... it sounded good oh sorry with a username like yours.....ooops ok il be quiet

ssshhhhh, I've changed what it stands for lol "

whats it stand for now?

Livingston

(whispers in femme's ear).. it's till the same but will have everybody wondering now - keep it to yourself though

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"(whispers in femme's ear).. it's till the same but will have everybody wondering now - keep it to yourself though "
ok...whats it worth?

Livingston

"(whispers in femme's ear).. it's till the same but will have everybody wondering now - keep it to yourself though ok...whats it worth? "

whatever you want chickadee

Am I in the right place?

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"

Am I in the right place? "

for?

Livingston

"

Am I in the right place? "

if you still have vod then you are in the right place Mr E xx

marden

isn't it time to let vod go?

"isn't it time to let vod go?"

Think so, I`ve got a mouth like an "Arabs jockstrap" this morning....... Feck it I`m off to the pub!!!

We've all seen how a pc slows to a grind when the hard drive is almost full so it would be analogous to suggest that our brain's do the same thing. On that basis we are becoming smarter by emptying our minds of seldomly used information that is available elsewhere at the touch of a button.

"isn't it time to let vod go?

Think so, I`ve got a mouth like an "Arabs jockstrap" this morning....... Feck it I`m off to the pub!!! "

How does one know what an 'arabs jockstrap' is like unless one has first hand experience of such a thing?

"isn't it time to let vod go?

Think so, I`ve got a mouth like an "Arabs jockstrap" this morning....... Feck it I`m off to the pub!!!

How does one know what an 'arabs jockstrap' is like unless one has first hand experience of such a thing? "

They googled it!!!

"In this age of information at the touch of a button? "

dumber as noone really looks for information like at the libarys its all google now and wiki

Without a shadow of a doubt we are smarter. Inteligence is not about memory, but about our capacity to manipulate data. The more data we hadle the more inteligent we become.

Also 'inteligence' has much more to do with social interaction. Animals which live in large groups (primates for example) and have to work out dominance structures that exist outside mating seasons are a lot cleverer than animals which don't. The introduction of another layer of social complexity canonly promote the development of human inteligence.

What might not be so favourable is the direction our current society is moving, but that's a whole diferent question..........

marden

i agree george, meerkats live in large groups, interact, look out for each other and now they sell insurance.

We've all had those times when we cannot think of something - be it a particular song title, or a group, or a name of an actor, etc and its usually a tiny little meaningless thing that drives us potty until hours and hours later the answer pings out at us from the recess of our brain.

I had a simlar experience a few weeks ago. I couldnt remember the name of the KFC guy. I knew it was Colonel something or other and kept thinking of Colonel Mustard - the only other Colonel I know is Gaddafi and I knew it wasnt him. I could have googled it but was determined to let my brain come up with the answer -it never did sadly, I had to resort to asking someone - but still I never googled it, which sadly Im quite proud of

"We've all had those times when we cannot think of something - be it a particular song title, or a group, or a name of an actor, etc and its usually a tiny little meaningless thing that drives us potty until hours and hours later the answer pings out at us from the recess of our brain.

I had a simlar experience a few weeks ago. I couldnt remember the name of the KFC guy. I knew it was Colonel something or other and kept thinking of Colonel Mustard - the only other Colonel I know is Gaddafi and I knew it wasnt him. I could have googled it but was determined to let my brain come up with the answer -it never did sadly, I had to resort to asking someone - but still I never googled it, which sadly Im quite proud of "

Why is asking someone any better than googling. ???

We are neither smarter or dumber. The way we acquire information and what we do with it has changed.

We used to have to memorise mounds of information now we can store it and use it as we need it.

If you think storing information or indeed referencing it makes you dumber ... WHY aren't you still scribbling in the sand with a stick ...why IS there a row of books on your shelves......Why did you EVER buy a newspaper (other town criers are available ) or magazine......

Gerroutofherenstopbeinsodaft!

Maybe I should have said that to you instead of typing it ...

Oh go spin a dvd round OR more traditionally go ask some travelling troubadors to act sommat out for your delight.

Fuck sell by dates im gettin meself a food taster..... a sooth sayer .... and a witch doctor.

"

Why is asking someone any better than googling. ???

"

Because it just is - and its also whats commonly referred to as "a joke"

i think overall we know more, but understand less. speaking personally i am at the end of 5 years higher education, I dont work out the deflection in a beam in a multi story building to within a thousanth of a mill, and I can tell you were it will bend, but I dont know how I am doing it. at the same time, my calculator can do thing my lecturers spent two years leanring to do long hand. In the past engineers spent thier degree learning to read higly complex charts, now we can do that easily we can learnt the enviromental impact, or the costing etc. I think it will be necessary for what the world has in store for us, thier is some breath taking technology in process that will change the way we live in everyway

"i agree george, meerkats live in large groups, interact, look out for each other and now they sell insurance."

lol

dumber.

just look at the state of television programmes and you can see how low the nation has got.

some people worry more about who is getting booted off the xfactor than what is happening outside their front door.

"dumber.

just look at the state of television programmes and you can see how low the nation has got.

some people worry more about who is getting booted off the xfactor than what is happening outside their front door.

"

which is relative to how we live now, from an animal that had to hunt for every meal and provide everything from the environment to a couch potato with the world at our fingers. now thats progress !!!

Okay. I give in. What SHOULD we be doing instead of watching X factor ?

When you've sorted that tell me what we are all gonna do when you turn the internet off ?

[Removed by poster at 21/11/10 22:17:14]

"dumber.

"

Watching shite telly isn't compulsory (yet!).

Between 9 and 10 this evening there was a genuinely excellent programme on how JFK wasn't the nice, fit healthy guy he's usually portrayed as.

At the same time the news channels were choc a block with info about what's happening to Ireland. Maybe not that important to the UK as a whole but an object lesson for the few fools who still see an independent Scotland as a viable option.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Smarter (well some of us are anyway). Because you can find the answers to questions so much faster than in the days when you had to use reference books.... work your way through stacks of them to find what you wanted to know, if you found it at all. Now you can find your answers in seconds... which means you have more time left to find out and learn more things.

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

Yep you have more time so can find the answers to more questions. Google is king!!. Mind you i do smile at some who can find the answer but still fail to understand it.

Someone mentions telly. I do have to say that the quality of 'science' programs like equinox for example has greatly reduced. Whether this is because I read other publications (new scientist etc) they just don't seem to give as much information as they used to when I was a kid.........

'Dumbing down' seems to be very wide spread.......

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

what was the question?

» Add a new message to this topic