what a tosser

" striking is a human right"

knobs like that need stringing up at dawn

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"what a tosser

striking is a human right

knobs like that need stringing up at dawn "

Well lets see. It didn't do the car industry any good and neither did it do anything for the miners or dockers. So i would say striking far from helps.

"what a tosser

Yeah, without guys like him we would all be on £5 an hour whilst fat cat bosses take huge salaries, benefits, bonuses, cars, bupa, back hand holidays and then when it goes tits up they lay off the hourly paid working man for a few quid. Oh and btw it is the union membership that decides what path to take not the general secretary, unlike right wing bosses, who do as they see fit, a trade union is a true democracy, you know, the same thing as we allegedly live in where the majority carries. Non union members also get benefits that the trade unions fight for.

PS A fistful of international treaties enshrine our right to strike...FACT

"what a tosser

It's 'knobs' like that who ensured we don't still send weans up lums or down pits.

"what a tosser

It's 'knobs' like that who ensured we don't still send weans up lums or down pits."

Well said, some people stoat aboot their ivory towers so long they forget where they came from.

By *ertnbeckyCouple  over a year ago

oldham

i used to work for lul and know bob very well he is a very caring and kind man.to add to that without the unions the working classes would be alot worse off than they are.

"what a tosser

Yeah, without guys like him we would all be on £5 an hour whilst fat cat bosses take huge salaries, benefits, bonuses, cars, bupa, back hand holidays and then when it goes tits up they lay off the hourly paid working man for a few quid. Oh and btw it is the union membership that decides what path to take not the general secretary, unlike right wing bosses, who do as they see fit, a trade union is a true democracy, you know, the same thing as we allegedly live in where the majority carries. Non union members also get benefits that the trade unions fight for. "

That's what some people don't understand: general secretaries are the public face but they are following the mandate as set out by their national executive committees ie the membership!! The ONLY message union officials can convey is that of the people who pay their salaries to protect their interests: the members!

Whatever rights are won the whole workforce benefits.

Ah, unions. Those very same people who held Bonfire Night to ransom because they didn't like the changes to their contracts of employment.

Workers have rights sure, but then so do the companies that employ them. The right to make the business operate more efficiently and save money. If that involves getting rid of wasteful practices then so be it. The workers have the right to either accept those changes of fuck off somewhere else and get a job that DOES suit them.

If the FBU had gone on strike on Nov 5th and any member of the public had died as a result of there being not enough fire engines available the FBU would have hung out to dry - and they knew it. So why pick that paerticular day then?

Political posturing on the part of the its leaders. Nothing more.

They had no intention of leaving the public without emergency cover on the one night of the year they would be more likely to need it but they thought it would be a jolly good laugh to put fear into the minds of the people who pay their wages - the taxpayer!

I wouldn't work for a company that had a closed shop as I abhor unions.

"what a tosser

It's 'knobs' like that who ensured we don't still send weans up lums or down pits."

Thats because we no longer have pits to go down - on account of the fact that they were always on strike - played right into the governemnts hands they did, thanks to Mr Scargill and his crew

Striking is a right of all employees.

Of course the reason for strikes is another matter. They should always be local issues (to do with that employer and employees and not political).

"

That's what some people don't understand: general secretaries are the public face but they are following the mandate as set out by their national executive committees ie the membership!! The ONLY message union officials can convey is that of the people who pay their salaries to protect their interests: the members!

Whatever rights are won the whole workforce benefits. "

Indeed, the tone is set by the tiny membership that go along to branch meetings and make resolutions and pass them up, hence the silly ones that appear by many public sector union annual conferences.

Most people join the unions for the overall protection it offers, bit like an insurance policy for industrial issues (Discipline, Contracts, sick, sacking etc)

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"

Yeah, without guys like him we would all be on £5 an hour whilst fat cat bosses take huge salaries, benefits, bonuses, cars, bupa, back hand holidays and then when it goes tits up they lay off the hourly paid working man for a few quid. "

Wow!! what a lovely _iew of senior management/directors of companies...

must go and google when the last FTSE 100 directors strike was when they weren't getting their own way.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Between June 2009 and June 2010 wages of Directors of the FTSE 100 companies rose by an average of 55%

That in a period when 16% of all workers in the UK had a wage freeze and the other 84% saw an average of 1.7% wage rises.

Any wonder that there are rumblings of discontent amongst the workforces of Britain?

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

ps.. I was one of them... great salary, BUPA, company car, executive share package and for that..

I worked bloody hard travelling from Thurso to Truro for 13 years.. lived in hotels from Monday to Friday, came home on a late Fri night, washed clothes on a Saturday, ironed on a Sunday, packed a bag Sunday night then back on the road at 3am on Monday morning to get the first flight to London.

I could go on and describe my working week/month/year and the pressures of running an organisation of 10,000 front line people... (most were fantastic people, hard working and caring... the rest were lazy, bitter and couldn't give a stuff about our customers, the company or their colleagues.) but I won't..... suffice to say I loved every day I did the job, I thank the many great people who helped me achieve our goals.. and not once did I forget from where I came from..

so not every Director/Senior manager is as described......

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"Between June 2009 and June 2010 wages of Directors of the FTSE 100 companies rose by an average of 55%

That in a period when 16% of all workers in the UK had a wage freeze and the other 84% saw an average of 1.7% wage rises.

Any wonder that there are rumblings of discontent amongst the workforces of Britain?"

indeed... and some of the discontent is valid... very valid....

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Between June 2009 and June 2010 wages of Directors of the FTSE 100 companies rose by an average of 55%

Any wonder that there are rumblings of discontent amongst the workforces of Britain?"

funny enough I was one of those... after 2 years of pay freezes, this year we got a whopping 1%.... and that was only after the threat of going on strike..... otherwise it would have been another pay freeze....

people forget at times that the threat of strike is a measure of last resort.....

we have been patient for the last 2 years and basically been ran roughshod over..... people don't want to go on strike, but in the end people say enough is enough

» Add a new message to this topic