FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > real dads

real dads

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ire_blade OP   Man  over a year ago

Manchester

Or just a sperm donner. My own dad was a tosser and definitely just a donner. myself I've gone through 2 break ups involving kids and both times although me and the mum split no way did i split from my kids. My oldest is now my best mate as well as son and my younger I'm glad to say I'm lucky engh to see everyday. So what was your dad or what dad are you to yours...... please lets keep this light hearted remember its a bladey thread so only fun and light hearted ness allowed please if you've nothing nice to say say nothing as this could easy get nasty so please don't let it

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My Dad was the Badgers Bollox..He made me the Committed Person i am today.

And an endless source of Yellow Crayons

Gimpus

Manchester

"My Dad was the Badgers Bollox..He made me the Committed Person i am today.

Gimpus"

You very much struck me that way. Hope its not to long before we meet again its been to long already dude

Manchester

Sorry ladys lets get the mums on this too

Gimpus

You very much struck me that way. Hope its not to long before we meet again its been to long already dude "

I know Mate its good to meet a fellow Loony Toon

Gimp

Manchester

Gimpus

You very much struck me that way. Hope its not to long before we meet again its been to long already dude

I know Mate its good to meet a fellow Loony Toon

Gimp"

Lets face it we both got the loon factor in buckets

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

My Dad hasn't been the best but he certainly isn't the worst.

My Stepdad however has been amazing took on when I was hitting puberty, worst time to akw on a teenage daughter lol. But he brought me up into the woman I am today of course with my Mum (who is the best in my eyes) because of him I don't I turned out to be a bad stepmum to the four I had before my break up.

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

Sorry about the spelling mistakes

My father was a horrible person

Didn't work

In and out of prison

Bully

Alcoholic

So pleased my mum saw sense when I was 9

My dad was a twat, left me n my mum when I was 2 and married another 3 times after my mum! Had another 3 kids to his wives

He left 3 women with 4 daughters between them!!

My sisters and I have 9 kids between us and none of them knew him as grandad !! His loss!!

He passed away 6 years ago aged 45 coronary heart disease !!

My dad wasn't great but was infinitely better than my psychotic stepfather. Well it taught me what not to put up with in a partner! My ex husband is a devoted dad. Couldn't ask for a better ex as the children always take priority, and we're best friends. He wished me luck on my first meet!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

My dad is a great dad. He supports and encourages each of us (3 daughters) to be ourselves, each if us uniquely different to each other.

Sometimes he can be slightly controlling and he does get a bit out out when we remind him that we are grown ups and need to make our own mistakes etc but he is always there when they come back to bite us despite of this.

Some may say I am spoilt but I know my parents worked hard to give us the experiences and material possessions we had but they also have made sure that we know the value of what we have.

I love both of my parents very much but I have always been a daddy's girl.

Manchester

"My Dad hasn't been the best but he certainly isn't the worst.

My Stepdad however has been amazing took on when I was hitting puberty, worst time to akw on a teenage daughter lol. But he brought me up into the woman I am today of course with my Mum (who is the best in my eyes) because of him I don't I turned out to be a bad stepmum to the four I had before my break up."

Truly awesome and hey don't ever worry about spelling with me or on here look at mine. If people judge you on that alone then its there intelligence at showing not ours

See my mum was both parents for me and I love her to pieces

I'm a proper spoilt only child to her too.....

My mum gave me away on my wedding day too

Manchester

"My father was a horrible person

Didn't work

In and out of prison

Bully

Alcoholic

So pleased my mum saw sense when I was 9 "

Very sad i no but like me didn't it make you the person you are today ???

Manchester

"My dad wasn't great but was infinitely better than my psychotic stepfather. Well it taught me what not to put up with in a partner! My ex husband is a devoted dad. Couldn't ask for a better ex as the children always take priority, and we're best friends. He wished me luck on my first meet!"

And isn't that the way it should be. I think in a break up its only to easy to forget the simple fact that although it may now be gone at 1 time you did love each other xx

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Bladey, this is really difficult topic to keep lighthearted.

The nice thing I can say about my father is that he is generous, particularly to other people and their children, he never hit us and he worked hard. The rest fits into the say nothing category.

Manchester

"See my mum was both parents for me and I love her to pieces

I'm a proper spoilt only child to her too.....

My mum gave me away on my wedding day too "

Again awesome sadly i had neither but as ive said no tears here anymore it made me the stronge level headed person i am now but at the same time made me focus on my own kids and do what ever was necessary for them to have a real childhood

Manchester

"Bladey, this is really difficult topic to keep lighthearted.

The nice thing I can say about my father is that he is generous, particularly to other people and their children, he never hit us and he worked hard. The rest fits into the say nothing category.

"

Thourally understood x but on the same hand as I've met you and no what a fantastic person you are didn't it also shape you into the person you are today ?

"My dad wasn't great but was infinitely better than my psychotic stepfather. Well it taught me what not to put up with in a partner! My ex husband is a devoted dad. Couldn't ask for a better ex as the children always take priority, and we're best friends. He wished me luck on my first meet!

And isn't that the way it should be. I think in a break up its only to easy to forget the simple fact that although it may now be gone at 1 time you did love each other xx"

We were friends for years before we got together so it's logical that we returned to it once the marriage was over. There have been tensions and upsets but the kids have been a priority for both of us, so we've managed to suck it up and sort our shit out for them. I know not everyone is lucky enough to fall out of love with such a reasonable and lovely person though!

Manchester

"My dad wasn't great but was infinitely better than my psychotic stepfather. Well it taught me what not to put up with in a partner! My ex husband is a devoted dad. Couldn't ask for a better ex as the children always take priority, and we're best friends. He wished me luck on my first meet!

And isn't that the way it should be. I think in a break up its only to easy to forget the simple fact that although it may now be gone at 1 time you did love each other xx

We were friends for years before we got together so it's logical that we returned to it once the marriage was over. There have been tensions and upsets but the kids have been a priority for both of us, so we've managed to suck it up and sort our shit out for them. I know not everyone is lucky enough to fall out of love with such a reasonable and lovely person though!"

Yep. I've had both sides of the coin and am happy to say i no which is better x

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

My dads awesome. Love him to bits.

Such a shame that my sons dad isn't like him. You'd think after all the stories he told me of how awful his dad was to him he would want to do better.

"Bladey, this is really difficult topic to keep lighthearted.

Thourally understood x but on the same hand as I've met you and no what a fantastic person you are didn't it also shape you into the person you are today ?"

It certainly did: unable to have a long term relationship with any man.

My dad is great always provided and always there if somewhat distant.

I'm basically the spitting image and same personality as him too.

Forum Mod

My Dad's fabulous

All my school friends used to fancy him which was hugely embarrassing as they all used to go silly when they came round our house

He good for a laugh,we got him a bungee jump for his birthday one year....he did it

He got up and sang the song Crying in the style of only fools and horses a few weeks ago because I secretly put his name down

Sorry Dad

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

My Dad is awesome. He can fix pretty much anything, knows how everything works and loves my Mum to bits. They've been married 51 years and still totally in love. I'm in the super lucky camp and I know it. I couldn't have wished for more.

Lost him at 13 and he was only 34, but he was a top bloke. A kind, gentle guy who always put us first. My step father was also of the same ilk, so I've been privileged to have had two fantastic father figures in my life. I was very lucky in that respect.

By *rwchcpleCouple  over a year ago

norwich

My kids dad abused me mentally physically and Sexually for 7 years. For 20 years I've been waiting for him to step up but he hasn't. Luckily my partner is a brilliant dad to them and he has 2 kids who I've been a brilliant mum too My dad was very cool. He was an aircraft engineer and he used to take me to work with him. I know a lot about planes ! However this knowledge hasn't really been of use to me but you never know it might do one day

I absolutely love and adore my dad, I'm very blessed having such fabulous parents .

Biological dad,, met twice see him in the street occasionally but we blank each other. Im grateful that him n my mother met as they created me,, and i was blessed that he didnt bring me up as i had a great childhood as i think i turned out alright.

Step dad (aged 3 til 15) - very much into his own son (my mum n him had a son) and as i got older i realized i was very muh at arms length.. this was confirmed when my mums marriage ended with him and we haven't spoken since the day i moved to Devon.

Daughters 'dad'.. ermm yeah she doesnt hae one. So when it comes to men im cursed but hey ho such is life and im still here leading a happy life.

At school i longed to be a daddys girl, but you often crave things you cant have.

"Biological dad,, met twice see him in the street occasionally but we blank each other. Im grateful that him n my mother met as they created me,, and i was blessed that he didnt bring me up as i had a great childhood as i think i turned out alright.

Step dad (aged 3 til 15) - very much into his own son (my mum n him had a son) and as i got older i realized i was very muh at arms length.. this was confirmed when my mums marriage ended with him and we haven't spoken since the day i moved to Devon.

Daughters 'dad'.. ermm yeah she doesnt hae one. So when it comes to men im cursed but hey ho such is life and im still here leading a happy life.

At school i longed to be a daddys girl, but you often crave things you cant have. "

Not can't have, but didn't have.

I found my ideal father figure in a friend's husband. He was older than me and a great friend. When he died I realised that he filled the need I had for a father.

Your 'father' may be out there still.

By *rcticFoxxxWoman  over a year ago

Hereabouts

I love my dad. He took me in when my mum kicked me out aged 12. He put a roof over my head and food in my tummy. He's supportive but from a distance.. I was always very independent. He cares but doesn't show it very well. He's by no means a bad dad, I just wish we had been closer. He's helped me financially over the years and does the basic things that dad's should do but I wouldn't say he was outstanding. But regardless, I love him and he will always be my dad. Saying that though, I was never the best daughter. I kept to myself a lot, and should have made more of an effort. He and I are both extremely stubborn. I moved away almost a month ago, and he hasn't called/text me since. I also haven't called/text him. I rarely saw him when I lived down the road, and we only really speak when I need money or something. My fault, I know. He remarried and he's a good stepdad to his wife's kids, even though they wind him up.

My mums ex husband (my youngest sisters dad) is a dick. He's an abusive little man. Money is more important to him than love. My mum once described their relationship as prostitution. My little sister is at boarding school, which he pays for, and he's always on holiday in America or India. When my mum lost the plot, I had to do all the parent-y stuff with my sisters school. I'm glad she has her houseparents at school - they are wonderful and supportive!

My mum just sucks - I won't say more on that.

My first boyfriend's mum was the person I turned to for everything and I still speak to her sometimes. She is a wonderful human being!

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

I'm another of the blessed ones.

My dad has never made any distinction between his biological kids and the two that aren't his, nor between boys and girls, we were all encouraged to be our best.

He worked all his life and provided cos that's what a dad does - he still won't let me put my hand in my pocket unless I insist.

He could fix anything (still can) and make stuff and loves to be outdoors and shared that love.

He's not so great at communication - many men of his generation aren't - but the love is always there. And he'll do anything for family. Including turning half his garden into an adventure playground for his grandkids.

Hereabouts

[Removed by poster at 26/07/15 17:06:29]

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

Let's just say I'm the person I am despite my parents.

My motto with my children and grandchildren is 'know better, do better'.

Hereabouts

Mine wasn't exactly lighthearted.. Sorry

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

My father is a much better person than I will ever be.

On the other hand, not making a complete hash of my daughter...

"My father was a horrible person

Didn't work

In and out of prison

Bully

Alcoholic

So pleased my mum saw sense when I was 9

Very sad i no but like me didn't it make you the person you are today ???"

Totally. I wouldn't let myself get into a relationship with someone like that.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

"Mine wasn't exactly lighthearted.. Sorry "

Your parents set examples, some of them you want to follow, some if them show you exactly what you don't want to be.

Along the way through life we collect other family, people who will be just as important as the one's we're related to by blood or marriage.

Manchester

"My Dad's fabulous

All my school friends used to fancy him which was hugely embarrassing as they all used to go silly when they came round our house

He good for a laugh,we got him a bungee jump for his birthday one year....he did it

He got up and sang the song Crying in the style of only fools and horses a few weeks ago because I secretly put his name down

Sorry Dad "

Now this made me smile. Its obvious the apple didn't fall to far from the tree

The least I say about mine, the better

Hereabouts

"Mine wasn't exactly lighthearted.. Sorry

Your parents set examples, some of them you want to follow, some if them show you exactly what you don't want to be.

Along the way through life we collect other family, people who will be just as important as the one's we're related to by blood or marriage."

I know how not to be a mother hopefully I won't make the same mistakes as my mum if I ever have kids

19 & 22 years between me and my siblings ! My Dad had done the Father thing and was pretty much slowing down when he had me so i didn't get to do much with him but he was always there for me ! My Mum on the other hand was both rolled into one !

So what of Dad am i to my children? My Marriage broke up about 9 yrs ago and because my Dad didn't do much with me I've made it my personal commitment to do,take and be at everything thing they get involved with

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

Mine was a cunt. Don't even think of him as a father, if I'm honest, he's just this person who came and went as he pleased and made our lives Hell.

Won't bat an eyelid when the old git dies.

- Amy. x

"Let's just say I'm the person I am despite my parents.

My motto with my children and grandchildren is 'know better, do better'. "

high 5

My dad was a waste of skin. Left when I was 3, my brother was just 9months. He got caught. His best mates new baby boy, was actually my half brother. No contact from him in the last 25yrs. 4grandchildren he doesn't know he has.

Unfortunately the father of my angel boy, and gorgeous daughter, is a twat. No idea what I ever saw in him.

My mother on the other hand is an amazing woman, that I can only hope to be hall as good as.x

Manchester

So many sad storys and this wasn't my intention but glad it's still going. My storys are just as sad if not more so but im happy to say my gosts have been laid to rest and no longer bother me what my own scum perants did and sincerely hope that 1 day all those who have posted there own bad storys feel the way i do now. My inbox is open if anyone thinks i could help. We are all masters of our own destany always look forward past is past for a good reason xx

[Removed by poster at 26/07/15 17:37:09]

By *essiCouple  over a year ago

suffolk

Mine worked hard and did what he thought was best for the family but that didn't included advice or spending quality time with 5 of us (4 siblings above myself) and 11 years gap til I 'arrived',over the years he managed to ostracise us from each other in such a way that it's only now (past away almost 3 years) that his force is being felt.

No one has the perfect dad , then again no one is shown how to be a dad

By *essiCouple  over a year ago

suffolk

"No one has the perfect dad , then again no one is shown how to be a dad "

True ...

My dad and I didn't have a great relationship from the age of 11 till I went to uni. Over the years we have grown closer, and what's really scary I have turned more like my dad than I ever thought possible.

He has s wicked sense of humour and doesn't suffer fools gladly. He always took care of us, even when I couldn't see it when I was younger.

Now he's like my best friend, and my kids love him to bits. I do the same he used to do to me, to my own kids. God help them

Harry

I'm lucky that my Dad is one of my best mates and only lives around the corner from me?

Took me away on holidays abroad every year from the age of 1, and made sure I had everything I need without being spoilt. Punished me when I was bad, praised me when I did good.

Even now when he is has just turned 70,hes still the first person I ring when I have any news.

I feel for anyone who has had a bad relationship or not known their dad, its such a great feeling and a blessing.

Ironic that I should post on this thread today as it was exactly 5 years ago today my Dad passed. He was a fantastic man who raised me properly, got me into music, cars, all the things I enjoy nowadays and taught me to enjoy life. I had the utmost respect for him as he was firm but fair and a true hero to me.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

My dad is the most amazing dad a girl could wish for, he is my rock he has gone through so much shit in his life it's unbelievible but he is one of the greatest men in my life, if I'm lucky enough to settle down with a bloke who has some qualities my dad has I'll be one lucky lady.

"So many sad storys and this wasn't my intention but glad it's still going. My storys are just as sad if not more so but im happy to say my gosts have been laid to rest and no longer bother me what my own scum perants did and sincerely hope that 1 day all those who have posted there own bad storys feel the way i do now. My inbox is open if anyone thinks i could help. We are all masters of our own destany always look forward past is past for a good reason xx"

No ghosts as far as my father is concerned, I grew up without him, so can't miss what I didn't.

I hoped to bring my kids up in a stable 2 parent family, it's not worked like that, but no point dwelling, just gotta do the best I can on my own, lucky to have an amazing supportive family, and some awesome friends, old and new, who know when I need my arse kicked.x

My Dad was my hero. A single Dad who worked full time. Only know as an adult can I appreciate what he did for us.

Looking after 3 children couldn't of been

easy, especially me being the only girl. let alone the isolation of being a single Dad in the 70's and 80's. AndI cant say I ever felt I missed out. We always had fun and we always had a warm house and nice things.

My Dad used to take pride in me. Always made sure I was dressed girly with.nice hair. I wanted nothing more though than to wear greasy overalls and carry spanners about lol Dad would never allow it. He felt he was being judged constantly, and was determined to be the best Dad he could.

Trouble is not many men can measure up to that.

By *ola.Woman  over a year ago

Just where I need to be.

My dad is great. Love him so much. He gave me a great understanding that you get out of life what you put in. If you want something get off your butt and do something about it. He worked hard when we were little but always had time for us. The love and respect he shows my mum even after 50 years together is beautiful. He taught me how to use tools and remember feeling so proud when he congratulated me on boxing pipes in toilet. I know that I am very fortunate on having a dad that loves me .

My biological dad was a violent alcoholic who used to beat the shit out of my mum. I've not seen him since my mum left him when I was 2.

My step dad... well, I can't go into details about what he did to me here, it's against forum rules. Let's just say most men who know what he did really do not like him one bit. Thankfully I'm a survivor, not a victim.

However, my grandpa & one of my uncles were two of the best role models anyone could ever wish for

Manchester

I can't possibly answer you all so many touching storys both good and bad and some from peaple i no well but didn't no at all. Thank you all

My dad was an alcoholic. Dunno if he did anything to my mum but me and brother got the violence. Haven't wanted a relationship with him for over 10 years now, although did waste some years of my life wanting my kids to have grandparents, they don't know their grandparents at all and my oldest is 18.

I'm very independent because of this. I don't have trust issues though.

I had kids with an alcoholic (met him when i was one) and he is shit. Had my youngest two with someone who is very decent, been a great dad to his kids and the kids i had with the pisshead, and coz he was caring and loving i got myself together emotionally with his example and that's when i never wanted a relationship with anyone shit after that coz i didn't see the point when people should love you for who you are and not make you feel bad about being yourself.

I've just come back from seeing my parents

I get on much better with my mum than my dad. I don't particularly like my dad as a person, but he's my dad. He's the one in the restaurant glaring at any child who makes any noise at all. Does my head in. I used to refuse to go out with the rest of my family when I was younger as I hated the worry of doing something wrong. My dad is a bigot, and is very sexist but he helped me out financially when I got divorced. That's his way of showing he loves his children. He can't do emotional love, anything regarding mental illness he can't deal with.

The weird thing is I can see parts of him in me.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

My dad, from my earliest memory I knew he wanted a boy, he was extremely violent to my mum and very highly strong, after they split when I was ten I was his dogs body when we used to go and stay cleaning the house and cooking. I maintained a relationtionship of sorts with him, but it just got worse and we grew further apart. When I had my son and rang him to tell him his first words where I've waited 25 years for this. I stayed in contact due to my son, but as he got older and had his own relationship with him I didn't get involved. I ran him on his birthday and father's day and that was it.

However, in later years due to circumstances we kind of got back in touch, we started to have some form of relationship.

The best day I ever spent with my dad was his 75th birthday, it was a proper father daughter day, sadly he died six months later but in that time we had built a lot of bridges.

As a grandfather, he was a perfect stereotypical grandfather doing everything with my son, they really where soul mates and that made me happy

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Well I have two dads, my biological one and my step one, fathers day can be bloody expensive

By *oward1978Man  over a year ago

Rotherham

"I've just come back from seeing my parents

I get on much better with my mum than my dad. I don't particularly like my dad as a person, but he's my dad. He's the one in the restaurant glaring at any child who makes any noise at all. Does my head in. I used to refuse to go out with the rest of my family when I was younger as I hated the worry of doing something wrong. My dad is a bigot, and is very sexist but he helped me out financially when I got divorced. That's his way of showing he loves his children. He can't do emotional love, anything regarding mental illness he can't deal with.

The weird thing is I can see parts of him in me. "

God, that sounds so familiar to me! Scarily familiar in fact We may love our parents, that can't be helped but that doesn't mean we have to like them.

By *o30Woman  over a year ago

Lincoln

I'll simply put it this way, my dad past 11 years ago & I only have one good memory of him. Says a lot I'd say

By *emini1637Woman  over a year ago

Warwickshire

My dad is awesome, he's my hero, always at the end of the phone, lives 2 minutes away, if I need him he's here! I was his shadow when I was younger, if he was in the garage fixing his bike I was there learning how to do it too. If he was going out for a blast I was on the back. I'm the only daughter and I'm the first to admit I'm a daddys girl! Much to my mums annoyance when we get together because she has a different humour to him and I, although mum and I have our own laughs! They've been married 42 years now.

My own daughters dad only sees her when he wants to and I'm blessed with great parents for her to have as grandparents, she thinks more of my dad than her own!

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

When I was growing up he was brilliant, caring, the best dad you would ever like to have, in late teens early twenties I would rather not say.

My dad was the best, he worked hard all his life and had shit chucked at him but kept on going. Put everyone else first before himself.

He would've been 60 next Saturday. R.I.P Dad.

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

My Dad is someone I regret not being more patient and understanding with when I was younger.

Being the youngest I always pushed the limits, challenged any boundaries and basically was a huge headache to him, largely because I saw him as the voice of authority, someone very straight laced and at the time he was everything I didn't want to be - middle management, 9-5 office job, crap company car and as predictable and dull as I thought was possible.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

He's worked his bollocks off all his life til being made redundant at an age where it was hard to get another job. He's always supported me no matter how much of a twat I've been. Now he's seriously losing his memory I'm regretting not spending more quality 1-2-1 time with him. Hindsight is a wonderful thing - if a little depressing.

As for being a dad? I'm what I call an NBD (non-biological dad) and a late starter at it. Having spent most of my life never wanting kids it's surprised me how things have worked out. But I'm enjoying it immensely and having been such a prick to my own dad I'll be trying to avoid giving him reason to be the same.

Every day is a school day.

A

*well - apart from these six weeks of 'daddy day care' bliss!

My mum is a psycho...no litterally unfortunately i only got to know my dad a month before he died. But he was a legend and its a shame!

Bless his cottons x

According to my girl im the best dad in the universe..and she has designed me a tattoo to symbolise our bond...it breaks my heart when I hand her back to her mum. Every time. She is my mini me.

Manchester

"My Dad is someone I regret not being more patient and understanding with when I was younger.

Being the youngest I always pushed the limits, challenged any boundaries and basically was a huge headache to him, largely because I saw him as the voice of authority, someone very straight laced and at the time he was everything I didn't want to be - middle management, 9-5 office job, crap company car and as predictable and dull as I thought was possible.

He's worked his bollocks off all his life til being made redundant at an age where it was hard to get another job. He's always supported me no matter how much of a twat I've been. Now he's seriously losing his memory I'm regretting not spending more quality 1-2-1 time with him. Hindsight is a wonderful thing - if a little depressing.

As for being a dad? I'm what I call an NBD (non-biological dad) and a late starter at it. Having spent most of my life never wanting kids it's surprised me how things have worked out. But I'm enjoying it immensely and having been such a prick to my own dad I'll be trying to avoid giving him reason to be the same.

A

*well - apart from these six weeks of 'daddy day care' bliss! "

Obi ya knob what your doing is a real dad your doing it by choice thats the best dad in the world. Respect dude

Manchester

My little girl well i say little shes 13 now. Told me the other day i was her hero. Yes big hard manc bikers do cry

the man i call my dad is my best friend..... He got with my mum when i was 4 years old made a promise to us he wud look after us and always be there... He has well and truely kept his promise him and my mum split over ten years ago and still he is in our lifes protecting us still being the dad he always was... Really dont no where id be today if it wasnt for him and if he was no longer around id feel empty like life wouldnt be worth living i cud guarentee id defo go off the rails without him!!

As for my sperm doner he was never around picked drink and young girls before us; beat my mum on a daily basis.. Luckily for him alcahol killed him before i got to him or id be doing time now in jail... Harsh as this sounds he died a slow painful death and i was so fkin happy to hear that! Karma is all i can say!!

"My Dad is someone I regret not being more patient and understanding with when I was younger.

A

Obi ya knob what your doing is a real dad your doing it by choice thats the best dad in the world. Respect dude "

Agreed, taking on a child is more than deciding to have 1(Or not in a lot of cases!

I won't date now, as I don't think I will ever find someone who can put up with me, aswell as take on my child.

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

A

*well - apart from these six weeks of 'daddy day care' bliss! "

Taking on someone elses kid and treating them as your own is a wonderful thing to do!

Any idiot can make a baby, takes a real man to be a father!!

"

Taking on someone elses kid and treating them as your own is a wonderful thing to do!

Any idiot can make a baby, takes a real man to be a father!! "

A friend's son sent that in a card on Father's Day to his NBD.

my parents both out of my life now - and i vowed to be always there for mine - result is my kids adore me and not so keen on their dad who is really a waste of a good skin

A

Any idiot can make a baby, takes a real man to be a father!! "

I did this with my last gf...She had a 16 yr old daughter who had met her dad twice as he is in prison. Even when me and her mum split (different issue) she told me that |I was the nearest to a dad she had ever had...I choked. I had to be the mediator, the calming influence, and helped her through her GCSEs. She still refers to my daughter as her little sister. I am glad I could make a positive influence on a young mind and help her on her way.

My father was a great father, I love him very much, as I do my mother. I have had a wonderful upbringing filled with love. I am very lucky. It saddens me that many children can't have this experience.

My dad was a character. He was a self confessed 'nutter' and a d*unk. He would always say he was just him and no one would change him.

However he would do anything for anyone if he could and he had a big heart. It took me a long time to realise that my dad was my hero. He was also the only man to never let me down.

I grew up always being referred to as big Rabs daughter. I hated it at the time, but now it's different.

Sadly the drink got the better of him and I lost him 4 years ago. He was only 52.

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

Getting divorced was the best thing my parents did. I have an amazing stepmum & stepdad. My stepdad was in the RAF & posted abroad when I was 12 so I went to live with my wonderful dad who really stepped up.

I also have great ex-inlaws the boys dad is a great ex too

By *edkent69Man  over a year ago

maidstone

My dad is great. Always there for me, helped me out so much when my marriage broke up. A mate I can have a beer with. Married to my mum for 50 years now. Unfortunately suffering from parkinsons disease.

Myself, I can only try and be the best dad I can. Always try and be there when my kids need me. Love spending time with them, and always miss them when they've gone.

My dad was my hero, he was a great father but I think it's fair to say a pretty awful husband. I use him as an example of how to raise my son, and an example of how not to act in a relationship. The one's we love are often far more complex characters than we ever realise.

My dad was very misunderstood, and people think that I view him through rose tinted glasses, but my sister and I are the only people who truly understood the complexity of his personality.

Yes he was a womaniser, not a d*unk but did like a drink, he had 18 kids by 15 women in a space of 25 years, but he tried so hard to keep in contact with us all and keep us in contact with each other,

He suffered with depression that ultimately caused him to take his own life in 2005, I guess he used sex to keep the depression at bay, but it was too much for him in the end.

When my daughter was born he flew back from Trinidad to see us, and the advice he gave me suprised me, he said "just be the father I wasnt and you will be the best dad in the world, don't make the mistakes I did, and don't let the mistakes I made ruin your life" I cried and hugged him and that was the last time I saw him alive.

I also had a step father who was an amazing man, patient and laid back a propel hard working man, he reminds me of the Goldberg dad, through the door, trousers off, chair, and happy lol

My mother on the other hand didn't deserve either of them, she was too selfish to be a wife and mother.

Thanks for the thread I feel better now

I'll join the best to say nothing category.

Gutted when I lost my dad, as a teen. He was my rock.

My mum was a twat!

Mine was more than a donor, but nowhere near a 'real' dad.

I miss him every day

He adored my son and I wish he could see him now.

I wish he could see that I have finally reached a happy stage in life again.

He died just after I had come out of a damaging and destructive relationship. My Mum told me he had said to her 'Where did my happy go lucky smiling daughter go?' Was so upset to hear that so Dad, J and I are ok and enjoying life again.

We miss you x

On a happy note my Dad would have laughed his head off on knowing that when young my son named a pet hamster after him because people didn't talk about his Grandad enough

By *horltzMan  over a year ago

heysham

My dad was always there , but distant , I am a single full time dad , me and mini me are and always have been best mates , I will never understand people who have kids and don't want to be part of their lives , sorry not very light hearted but there you go

Manchester

"I miss him every day

He adored my son and I wish he could see him now.

I wish he could see that I have finally reached a happy stage in life again.

He died just after I had come out of a damaging and destructive relationship. My Mum told me he had said to her 'Where did my happy go lucky smiling daughter go?' Was so upset to hear that so Dad, J and I are ok and enjoying life again.

We miss you x

On a happy note my Dad would have laughed his head off on knowing that when young my son named a pet hamster after him because people didn't talk about his Grandad enough

"

Owwww wow thats so sad but so very sweet to and the hamster well thats just right. They may now be gone but they will never be forgot nor should they be. Massive hugs ms socks xxxxxxxxxx

My dear old Dad is 89, still lives at home and looks after himself, albeit with the aid of a stick. He is always cheerful despite being in pain, and is always there ready to listen and give advice to my brother and I, 65 and 56 respectively! bless his heart. He nursed my Mum, who died of Alzheimers, for 9 years, right until the end. I love him dearly and cherish each day he is still with us.

"Sorry ladys lets get the mums on this too "

My Dad is wonderful.

I barely speak to my Mother.

"Sorry ladys lets get the mums on this too

My Dad is wonderful.

"

I'd never want to be 'best mates' with my parents though. IMO that wouldn't be very healthy.

My Dad is wonderful.

I'd never want to be 'best mates' with my parents though. IMO that wouldn't be very healthy."

Why wouldn't it be healthy.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

My Dad is wonderful.

I'd never want to be 'best mates' with my parents though. IMO that wouldn't be very healthy."

why?

My Dad is wonderful.

I'd never want to be 'best mates' with my parents though. IMO that wouldn't be very healthy.

Why wouldn't it be healthy. "

Because my best mates have a different kind of emotional bond with me to my parents. I don't really want to talk about sex or relationship problems or emotional stuff with my parents. And they have their own best friends for that.

We also move in completely different worlds. My parents have no real concept of the world I live my life in, and their worlds are alien to me. Just totally different.

They brought me up, but we don't share any more than that. We don't share our lives now in any meaningful way. My close friends and partners understand me far more than my parents do, and I understand my friends more than my partners!

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I am incredibly lucky to have two great parents, and grandparents too, and am particularly close to my dad.

They are caring and always there for us. My sister and I have always been supported to do what we want to in life, even if they don't necessary agree with us.

I try to do the same with my daughter and step son.

I'm divorced from my daughters dad but we have always been joint parents, and attended school events together even after I remarried.

Must have got something right as my daughter recently told me I was the only one the family who seemed to really understand her. High praise from an 18 yr old

Nita

My Dad is wonderful.

Because my best mates have a different kind of emotional bond with me to my parents. I don't really want to talk about sex or relationship problems or emotional stuff with my parents. And they have their own best friends for that.

We also move in completely different worlds. My parents have no real concept of the world I live my life in, and their worlds are alien to me. Just totally different.

They brought me up, but we don't share any more than that. We don't share our lives now in any meaningful way. My close friends and partners understand me far more than my parents do, and I understand my friends more than my partners!"

Oh.. I find that a little sad.While I Wouldn't discuss my sex life with my children they do all come to Me if they want advice on things including that. And I'm there for my children emotionally.. I have a good laugh with my older children when it's appropriate and next year I am going away with my daughter and her friends on a holiday break to Ibiza. I was asked because her and her friends wanted me to go as the responsible but not overly embarrassing parent x

To the original post. It takes more than biology to make a parent x

My Dad is wonderful.

They brought me up, but we don't share any more than that. We don't share our lives now in any meaningful way. My close friends and partners understand me far more than my parents do, and I understand my friends more than my partners!

Oh.. I find that a little sad.While I Wouldn't discuss my sex life with my children they do all come to Me if they want advice on things including that. And I'm there for my children emotionally.. I have a good laugh with my older children when it's appropriate and next year I am going away with my daughter and her friends on a holiday break to Ibiza. I was asked because her and her friends wanted me to go as the responsible but not overly embarrassing parent x

To the original post. It takes more than biology to make a parent x"

I guess it depends how you're brought up really. My parents (mostly my Dad) always encouraged total independence in me, which I think was a really good thing. As a result I have grown up not requiring that kind of support from them.

I couldn't imagine going on holiday with my parents. We are such different people. My Dad met me in Paris earlier this year for two days and we just ended up arguing about the kind of art we'd go and see... it didn't really work!

My dad is a 100% arsehole ....mr

» Add a new message to this topic