FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Where is yor 5p bag

Where is yor 5p bag

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So starting from October England pays 5p per bag for the thin flimsy shopping bags from supermarkets

is this a good idea, saving the planet and all

nip into the Chinese for a carry out meal oh and 5p please for the carrier bag

I guess anything that helps save the planet, or does it go elsewhere

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The bags will need to be made a lot more substantial if i am to pay 5p for one !!

I'll just use the stash in my cupboard, that will see me through for a few years. After that bag for life.

We already have this here.

It's annoying. However sometimes I lie at self serve about how many bags I have.. such a bad bad girl

"The bags will need to be made a lot more substantial if i am to pay 5p for one !!"

nope, all the flimsy ones that burst when you put anything sharp in them will be 5p, the thicker heavier bags are of much higher cost

October isn't far away

Been 5p in Wales and Scotland for some time now. I'd say peoples habits have changed and you will find that you have loads of 'bags for life' in the house and yes, you will attempt to go to the corner shop (having forgotten one of these bags) and return with a loaf of bread, a pint of milk, 4 croissants, a newspaper 2 onions and a carrot with NO bag as you will refuse to spend another 5p on a bag

Too little too late as far as conservation goes

I order online with no carrier bags recycle compost etc......my Mum is a hippy so taught us well but like she said most people ignored all the warnings about killing the planet back in the sixties and now look where we are......

"So starting from October England pays 5p per bag for the thin flimsy shopping bags from supermarkets

I guess anything that helps save the planet, or does it go elsewhere "

I think it's a great idea, Scotland and Wales do it. Why have we taken so long to do it.

By *angerousEyesMan  over a year ago

weston

Already have some bags for life none of them have been used more than once. I think in England small retailers are not going to have this charge.

"The bags will need to be made a lot more substantial if i am to pay 5p for one !!

nope, all the flimsy ones that burst when you put anything sharp in them will be 5p, the thicker heavier bags are of much higher cost

October isn't far away"

Well in that case i won't be buying any bags at all but will have my shopping delivered straight to my kitchen worktop bag free

It's a start but I'd rather have seen them banned completely or at least a pound a bag!

There the type of utter waste of energy that only free markets could dream up!

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

Unless it was some strange dream I'm sure this happened some years ago and then gradually supermarkets dropped the charge but I might be wrong.

We pay 22 cent for plastic bags in Ireland for years.

I do believe it has made a substantial difference to buying habits. We have "bags for life" coming out our ears.

The 5p is meant to go to charity and our local takeaway donates the income to the SSPCA (equivalent to.RSPCA)

What's stupid is it also applies to biodegradable bags and papers ones here in wales

22c for one here

Never used a carrier bag I use a ruck sack

"22c for one here"

What's that in real money?

"Never used a carrier bag I use a ruck sack"

Must cost a fortune every time you empty the bin.

[Removed by poster at 24/07/15 09:04:57]

"22c for one here

What's that in real money?"

That is real money lol

"22c for one here

What's that in real money?"

About 15p in your English money

A lot of money to be made in the name of green

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"A lot of money to be made in the name of green"

Correct!

The big retailers will be rubbing their hands.

"We pay 22 cent for plastic bags in Ireland for years."

Blimey, it was 6c for one in Spain last week. What are you saving up for?

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

If I'm to have a bag for life, they better stop making them biodegradable .

In the words of Karl pilkington. If carrier bags kill dolphins then ban them don't make it 5p . As I'm quite rich and I can afford to buy ten carrier bags . Therefore I can kill 10 dolphins easily .

"I'll just use the stash in my cupboard, that will see me through for a few years. After that bag for life."

I had to throw away most of my stash of bags because they'd bio degraded while in the cupboard

"So starting from October England pays 5p per bag for the thin flimsy shopping bags from supermarkets

It's a great idea. What does get my overly tight arsed Scottishness is places like Burger King and Maccy Ds charging you for a paper bag for a meal that isn't packaged. Which if you look at the regs on the act itself, they shouldn't be doing. They'll be making a killing off it.

I pulled them up on it and when they knew they were beaten it was then 'down to interpretation.' I was told.

B

What's so difficult about using hessian, jute, cotton or hemp bags? Are we really do bone fucking idle that we can't be arsed taking a bag with us when we go to the shops.

We should use paper bags more often as a plastic replacement. They are usually made of virgin kraft fibres. The paper industry in this country is crying out for this stuff, as when it's fed into the recycling stream it boosts strengths enormously. Paper recycling has got so efficient that it's becoming too successful and the quality of waste paper is suffering. Use of paper bags would be a great help both ecologically AND in keeping an industry going.

"In the words of Karl pilkington. If carrier bags kill dolphins then ban them don't make it 5p . As I'm quite rich and I can afford to buy ten carrier bags . Therefore I can kill 10 dolphins easily ."

He's funny and quite accurate.

There's a patch of plastic garbage in the pacific ocean the size of Texas

"We already have this here.

It's annoying. However sometimes I lie at self serve about how many bags I have.. such a bad bad girl "

I'm shocked and applaud at this behavior young lady on the naughty step for you

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

I have fold up shopping bags in my handbag but I've done that for a long time cause I like a bag I can stick on my shoulder.

I remember the days of the paper bags at the supermarket, clearly showing my age but they were adequate and less harmful to the planet.

We've been doing it ages in Scotland and most of the supermarkets have better bags for your 5p but I'm not sure it's a huge deterrent... 5p isn't exactly breaking the bank. If they were 50p people might think twice about not carrying/recycling their bags.

It's annoying. However sometimes I lie at self serve about how many bags I have.. such a bad bad girl

I'm shocked and applaud at this behavior young lady on the naughty step for you "

I usually choose a big box

I need a big box for all my contents

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

When our local Sainsbury opened they gave out 'bags for life' free with your shopping. We got 9, but somehow are down to our last one. Even if I were a cat I'd be worried about what that means.

Mr ddc

By *angerousEyesMan  over a year ago

weston

"What's so difficult about using hessian, jute, cotton or hemp bags? Are we really do bone fucking idle that we can't be arsed taking a bag with us when we go to the shops.

We should use paper bags more often as a plastic replacement. They are usually made of virgin kraft fibres. The paper industry in this country is crying out for this stuff, as when it's fed into the recycling stream it boosts strengths enormously. Paper recycling has got so efficient that it's becoming too successful and the quality of waste paper is suffering. Use of paper bags would be a great help both ecologically AND in keeping an industry going."

You would think paper would be a good idea. Apparently not by the time you consider its carbon footprint and over factors its actually worse over all for the planet, apparently.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I carry a fold up bag when I go out. When shopping is planned I take my canvass bags, all given free at various events to encourage me to spend money at those events. The oldest one is now 10 years old and still going strong. I get the flimsy bags when I buy on the spur of the moment and my one folding bag isn't enough and these are useful as bin liners. Clothes and gift shopping account for the other bags.

If it changes behaviour then that's a positive step. It's a bit too little too late but the change in behaviour may prompt other changes.

If you've purchased a bag for life and it's wears out, would you feel cheated or worried?

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I get most of my groceries delivered. The delivery guys tell me the supermarkets have had to buy more of the big plastic trays to get stuff from the van to the customer's door. I dunno how environmentally sound getting a van to come to you is compared to bringing your grub etc home on the bus.

As well as deliveries I carry an avoska (a perhaps bag), just in case I stumble across a bargain. Even senior Soviet officers still do this, depending on where they are.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It's annoying. However sometimes I lie at self serve about how many bags I have.. such a bad bad girl "

Outrageous! I always use my own bags

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"If you've purchased a bag for life and it's wears out, would you feel cheated or worried? "

I could say 'my old bag's a bit worn at the edges', but you'll have to wait until I hide the rolling pin, and frying pan, and......

Mr ddc

"If you've purchased a bag for life and it's wears out, would you feel cheated or worried?

I could say 'my old bag's a bit worn at the edges', but you'll have to wait until I hide the rolling pin, and frying pan, and......

Mr ddc"

Don't say it.

Don't think it.

And for gods sake don't write it on an Internet forum.

Oh, ah, er.........

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

It took me about 3 - 4 years until I started keeping bags for life in my car

"What's so difficult about using hessian, jute, cotton or hemp bags? Are we really do bone fucking idle that we can't be arsed taking a bag with us when we go to the shops.

We should use paper bags more often as a plastic replacement. They are usually made of virgin kraft fibres. The paper industry in this country is crying out for this stuff, as when it's fed into the recycling stream it boosts strengths enormously. Paper recycling has got so efficient that it's becoming too successful and the quality of waste paper is suffering. Use of paper bags would be a great help both ecologically AND in keeping an industry going.

You would think paper would be a good idea. Apparently not by the time you consider its carbon footprint and over factors its actually worse over all for the planet, apparently."

But paper bags get recycled as opposed to plastic ones. Plastic ones use oil as its raw ingredient. They don't degrade, and they are a danger to wildlife.

Use "bags for life" for your shopping, and paper bags for the small stuff. Paper is made from managed forests, that actually grow more than they cut down!

Make the plastic bag charge £1 and they will disappear overnight.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

if the introduction of paying for plastic bags makes some muppets think twice before littering the place with them then that's also a good thing..

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

"

Make the plastic bag charge £1 and they will disappear overnight."

Thats what I have been saying since day one of the charge. Multiply it by x10, make it 50p a bag, people like me will soon become less lazy.

Mac'd charge 5p a bag aswell down here for one of their brown paper ones

"

Thats what I have been saying since day one of the charge. Multiply it by x10, make it 50p a bag, people like me will soon become less lazy.

Mac'd charge 5p a bag aswell down here for one of their brown paper ones"

the thing is when this law was thought up the bags were only photodegradeable meaning they needed sunlight/uv light to break down so they stayed intact forever in landfill which was the problem.

now though they're all biodegradeable (can be broken down by bacteria) (they changed the plastic) so the reasoning behind the law is now no longer relevant as they degrade ina landfill just as happily as old potato skins.

You would think paper would be a good idea. Apparently not by the time you consider its carbon footprint and over factors its actually worse over all for the planet, apparently.

But paper bags get recycled as opposed to plastic ones. Plastic ones use oil as its raw ingredient. They don't degrade, and they are a danger to wildlife.

Use "bags for life" for your shopping, and paper bags for the small stuff. Paper is made from managed forests, that actually grow more than they cut down!

Make the plastic bag charge £1 and they will disappear overnight."

Of course "managed" forests utterly destroy the environment as it was before someone scraped it clean and planted thousands of crap pine trees. absolutely ruining the area for wild life and everything native.

walk through a traditional British primary forest, then walk through a managed forest you'll be shocked how utterly empty and silent the managed forest is.

"

the thing is when this law was thought up the bags were only photodegradeable meaning they needed sunlight/uv light to break down so they stayed intact forever in landfill which was the problem.

now though they're all biodegradeable (can be broken down by bacteria) (they changed the plastic) so the reasoning behind the law is now no longer relevant as they degrade ina landfill just as happily as old potato skins."

You still have to put shit loads of energy into making and disposing of them!.

You wanna save the world buy a Rolex

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Bags will make a small difference, but its good to get everyone into the mindset of protecting our planet and resources. Global warming is reality and massive changes are needed.

Tesco still giving points for bag reuse, Sainsbury is not, so I avoid it.

I collect used one from 20 of my clients premises on a weekly basis.

I give a black bin liner full each week to local basics bank .

When the new changes come in , the basics bank will lose this free source of carrier bags , as people will move to bags for life .

Oh no they do that in Ireland. It's so annoying.

By *ubicinchMan  over a year ago

Gwynedd

shop where I worked, we reused all the bags that the stock came in from the suppliers. there is no charge for recycled bags and although they didn't look quiet as cosmetically smart, and no handles, most of the customers where more than happy to accept one.

By *lovisMan  over a year ago

Twickenham

"I'll just use the stash in my cupboard, that will see me through for a few years. After that bag for life."

I've been stockpiling for years too. I reckon I will run out before the plastic bag stash does.

Of course "managed" forests utterly destroy the environment as it was before someone scraped it clean and planted thousands of crap pine trees. absolutely ruining the area for wild life and everything native.

walk through a traditional British primary forest, then walk through a managed forest you'll be shocked how utterly empty and silent the managed forest is."

Managed forests in the pulp and paper industry are in Scandinavia and the states, not the UK. The pine grown over here is not for felling. It's grown for tax reasons. Ask Terry Wogan.

Only counts in large shops like supermarkets

"

now though they're all biodegradeable (can be broken down by bacteria) (they changed the plastic) so the reasoning behind the law is now no longer relevant as they degrade ina landfill just as happily as old potato skins."

The biodegradability of the bags now, is still not good enough. We are dumping them faster than they can rot. The plastic bags used for food scraps are starch based polymer, they degrade readily, but have no real strength. Make them thicker and your onto a winner, but they will still cost more than 5p. I think that's a sensible way forward.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

We went to Scotland a few weeks ago and thought at first it was something to do with charity as we only went in independent gift shop places and the all where putting the 5p in a tin.

I can't see the problem in paying, people will spend a fortune on shopping and begrudge the pennies for a bag.

I'm sure aldi or somewhere have always charged for bags

I guess anything that helps save the planet, or does it go elsewhere

Only counts in large shops like supermarkets "

I am sure by the time October comes around England will follow Scotland and it will be every bag in every shop

I was recently offered a Bag-4-Life but I declined the offer and explained I'd worry about it breaking

You're welcome.....

"Been 5p in Wales and Scotland for some time now. I'd say peoples habits have changed and you will find that you have loads of 'bags for life' in the house and yes, you will attempt to go to the corner shop (having forgotten one of these bags) and return with a loaf of bread, a pint of milk, 4 croissants, a newspaper 2 onions and a carrot with NO bag as you will refuse to spend another 5p on a bag "

I head back home, loaf under one arm, newspaper under the other, pint of milk in one pocket, croissants in the other pocket. The 2 onions and carrot will have to go in my trousers. Why are those people at the bus stop staring at me?

By *andom2chatMan  over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

Before the 5p charge came in I purchased 3 x small, foldaway trolley carts. I always keep 1 in the car & I've totally changed my shopping habits. I only buy what I need as I need it & don't fall for the BOGOFFs which usually resulted in throwing food away. I also keep a couple of foldup jute type bags or a Bag For Life in the car too so if it's only a couple of items I need I take that instead of the trolley.

It's just s matter of changing my habits, just as I changed them to not taking a bag when flimsy single use bags were free. You get used to being prepared for these things rather than be lazy.

Exactly. Ban them, make them unavailable and will the retail sector collapse? I think not. Sales of cotton, jute, hemp etc bags will rise though.

How is the stuff you order online delivered if not in bags? Is the cost of the bags just added to the food shop?

In Asda and Tesco if your 5p bag for life splits or tears they replace it scot free.So the initial lay out of 5p is only a one time payment.

[Removed by poster at 27/07/15 15:30:34]

Ah, so is everything delivered in bags-for-life?

"How is the stuff you order online delivered if not in bags? Is the cost of the bags just added to the food shop?"

They bring it in crates now, I get my order delivered

By *ildt123Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Bah none sense!

Nothing to do with saving the planet, it's stealth tax and profiteering. I get some carrier bags with my shopping and use them as bin liners, if I don't get carrier bags I have to by plastic bin liners! No difference. If it was about conservation they would make bio- degradeable bags and give them out for free. This way I have to buy a bag for life, and buy plastic bin liners how is the planet saved?

As for the carbon emissions and targets etc you do know they trade greenhouse gas limits on the market as a commodity so if we save X-number of tons of carbon emissions in any year they sell what we don't use from our quota to another country, India or China for e.g so they don't get fined or break the agreement. Still no planet has been saved! Lots of the green agenda stuff has been hijacked

By *orthwest_cplCouple  over a year ago

Stretford

So while you're paying 5p for a miniscule amount of plastic in a flimsy bag, everything inside your bag is wrapped in plastic trays covered in clingfilm, shrinkwrap that can't be cut without surgical instruments and other non-biodegradeable materials. Banning supermarket packaging might be a better start.

By *exyspecs and supermanCouple  over a year ago

A house, a very big house in the country

Was like this in Germany. Lots used the collapsible boxes. We've got ours and our bags for life. Always have reusable bags in the car, handbag becomes a habit after a while.

If you purchase a bag for life

which can cost up to 12p,If it gets ripped you get it replaced FREE from the supermarket you purchased it from

"If you purchase a bag for life

which can cost up to 12p,If it gets ripped you get it replaced FREE from the supermarket you purchased it from "

Oop's...... I thought if a bag for life broke you died,,,,

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"How is the stuff you order online delivered if not in bags? Is the cost of the bags just added to the food shop?

They bring it in crates now, I get my order delivered "

Or they bring it up in something like an Ikea bag and take the bag away afterwards.

What happens if your bag out live you lol

"If you purchase a bag for life

which can cost up to 12p,If it gets ripped you get it replaced FREE from the supermarket you purchased it from

Oop's...... I thought if a bag for life broke you died,,,, "

Haha

By *ubicinchMan  over a year ago

Gwynedd

carry out bags are 5p... smaller bags for fruit n veg are FOC, anything that wraps food in other than a carrier bag is non-chargable. Just sayin.

» Add a new message to this topic