FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > We live in an obese society

We live in an obese society

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *reelove1969 OP   Couple  over a year ago

bristol

It had the health service on its knees ...does agree with taking food out of children's lunchboxes ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

more responsibility put onto the teachers, not the parents.

Rather than punish children and potentially embarrass or humiliate them why not educate parents and children? why not provide more emphasis on physical education?

my nephews school already only allows chocolate snacks on fridays, not during the week

bristol

This is where I struggle...increasingly j

jobs that parents ought to do are transferred to teachers ...i will give you example ...the school needs to be open at 7 am and serving breakfast because the parents are too busy

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

lots of school now have rules of what's put into lunch boxes

I don't believe they should be allowed to remove food from kids lunch box though unless they are going to replaced it with a healthy option

taking food off children isn't healthy either

"This is where I struggle...increasingly j

jobs that parents ought to do are transferred to teachers ...i will give you example ...the school needs to be open at 7 am and serving breakfast because the parents are too busy "

It's a.service offered so parents with no choice but to drop their children off can go to jobs that do not make allowances for school run first.

If the schools didn't offer the parents would have to use other places before school. Its nothing to do with parents being to busy

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What exactly is this about /

Obesity, Schools , Working Parents or Taking food from children ?

bristol

would getting out of bed half an hour earlier not solve that problem ?

King's Crustacean

"would getting out of bed half an hour earlier not solve that problem ?"

I get up pretty early as it is.

evesham

"What exactly is this about /

"

all of the above

Not if you have to be in work for 8 and school don't start till 8.45 how does getting up earlier help that?

I think it's more about having a safe place for your kids to go to rather than them being fed

evesham

its not that easy for everyone though. shift work, single parents, distance from school etc mean that some parents arent able to give their children breakfast.

"

It's about fat kids with lazy parents who are to busy to feed then

King's Crustacean

It's about fat kids with lazy parents who are to busy to feed then "

That's okay then. For one moment I thought it was about fat teachers, eating the lunches of busy children.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

all of the above"

and an all too powerful sugar industry..

etc

bristol

Correct me if i wrong ...to qualify for a school place you have to be within 'a catchment' area ..this is within walking distance . ..you cant move for cars around our school

King's Crustacean

Choice widened some years ago.

King's Crustacean

all of the above

etc"

Yes. For years now i've been arguing this. I should have written a book. Every other bugger has.

evesham

"Correct me if i wrong ...to qualify for a school place you have to be within 'a catchment' area ..this is within walking distance . ..you cant move for cars around our school "

catchment areas are very wide and again, most parents go straight from the school run to work.

evesham

all of the above

etc

Yes. For years now i've been arguing this. I should have written a book. Every other bugger has. "

i'd read it

Its about education AND choice. We all know that we will be what we eat.

Obesity is a huge problem, I'm always amazed about people / loved ones not helping their biggest friends or relatives out. NHS costs are eye watering too.

Children are byproducts of this approach, it's statistically at its worst pretty much. Parenting, education and responsibility of government initiatives are key as ever. But when child poverty is measured poorly, and recessions hit those with less privilege, it's not ideal for starters - no pun intended.

so kids are taking lunch boxes to school full of sugary junk food AND the school is feeding them too ? think its easy to spot the problem

Last time we replied to one of these we were accused of being extreme. Just because we agreed with what Jamilia said on Loose Women. Unless you have a medical condition there's no need for anyone to be obese.

King's Crustacean

"Obesity is a huge problem, I'm always amazed about people / loved ones not helping their biggest friends or relatives out. NHS costs are eye watering too.

Children are byproducts of this approach, it's statistically at its worst pretty much. Parenting, education and responsibility of government initiatives are key as ever. But when child poverty is measured poorly, and recessions hit those with less privilege, it's not ideal for starters - no pun intended."

Well said

evesham

"so kids are taking lunch boxes to school full of sugary junk food AND the school is feeding them too ? think its easy to spot the problem "

so given we were talking about breakfast clubs at schools children should choose breakgast OR lunch?

King's Crustacean

"Last time we replied to one of these we were accused of being extreme. Just because we agreed with what Jamilia said on Loose Women. Unless you have a medical condition there's no need for anyone to be obese. "

No. There's no need at all.

King's Crustacean

"so kids are taking lunch boxes to school full of sugary junk food AND the school is feeding them too ? think its easy to spot the problem

so given we were talking about breakfast clubs at schools children should choose breakgast OR lunch?"

Solved. Serve all day breakfast - all day.

"so kids are taking lunch boxes to school full of sugary junk food AND the school is feeding them too ? think its easy to spot the problem

so given we were talking about breakfast clubs at schools children should choose breakgast OR lunch?"

am pretty sure they do lunch too and always have its since the breakfast started

King's Crustacean

We can have supper in the after school club.

"Correct me if i wrong ...to qualify for a school place you have to be within 'a catchment' area ..this is within walking distance . ..you cant move for cars around our school "

My sons school is 4.2 miles from us... we fall in its Catchment area... It's not walking distance

"Obesity is a huge problem, I'm always amazed about people / loved ones not helping their biggest friends or relatives out. NHS costs are eye watering too.

Children are byproducts of this approach, it's statistically at its worst pretty much. Parenting, education and responsibility of government initiatives are key as ever. But when child poverty is measured poorly, and recessions hit those with less privilege, it's not ideal for starters - no pun intended."

There is still no need to eat crap food no matter if you are or less privileged. We know they wont get the oats lol over fish and chips.

King's Crustacean

so given we were talking about breakfast clubs at schools children should choose breakgast OR lunch?

am pretty sure they do lunch too and always have its since the breakfast started "

Breakfast started long before schools.

Jesus

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Correct me if i wrong ...to qualify for a school place you have to be within 'a catchment' area ..this is within walking distance . ..you cant move for cars around our school

My sons school is 4.2 miles from us... we fall in its Catchment area... It's not walking distance"

and some parents have children at schools miles away from each other...allocated to them by the local authority.

bristol

yes it is ...try it

evesham

"Last time we replied to one of these we were accused of being extreme. Just because we agreed with what Jamilia said on Loose Women. Unless you have a medical condition there's no need for anyone to be obese. "

is that limited to purely physical medical conditions?

i am physically very able but i have very poor mental/emotional associations with food and believe that it is actually a form of eating disorder but it is hard for anyone to take that seriously....apparently you can have an eating disorder when starving yourself but not when you eat yourself to an unhealthy level - then you're just a greedy fucker.

All i think about all day is food, i am scared of being hungry, i eat way too much (even when trying to be healthy i eat way too much healthy foods so its counter productive really). Right now i think i am hungry and could easily go to the kitchen to find something to eat yet i know i have eaten enough this evening so am sat here trying to distract myself. I have arguments with myself in the supermarket because i want to buy icecream but know i shouldnt....actual arguments. i walk away, come back, tell myself no (and for the most time win that one thankfully).

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"...the school needs to be open at 7 am and serving breakfast because the parents are too busy "

Who would pay for that? Our government is cutting the size of the state, so increasing it would mean higher taxes. I'm not disagreeing, but its opposite to conservative policy.

Eating healthy is cheap and easy and certainly not rocket science.

It's down to the parent.

I don't agree with taking food from the children. The parents need educating most of the time as to what constitutes a healthy choice.

Giving breakfast to children that have to be away from home early morning makes sense. When my child arrives at nursery she has breakfasted but its sometimes essential for very poor/uneducated families- its brain food afterall.

Tax sugar more by all means- but use the money to bring back compulsory home economics lessons.

evesham

"Eating healthy is cheap and easy and certainly not rocket science.

It's down to the parent.

"

i know a fair few people where i work who dont know how to cook....honestly dont know how to. they are amazed to hear i dont have a microwave at home and cook most of my meals from scratch.

King's Crustacean

"Last time we replied to one of these we were accused of being extreme. Just because we agreed with what Jamilia said on Loose Women. Unless you have a medical condition there's no need for anyone to be obese.

i am physically very able but i have very poor mental/emotional associations with food and believe that it is actually a form of eating disorder but it is hard for anyone to take that seriously....apparently you can have an eating disorder when starving yourself but not when you eat yourself to an unhealthy level - then you're just a greedy fucker.

All i think about all day is food, i am scared of being hungry, i eat way too much (even when trying to be healthy i eat way too much healthy foods so its counter productive really). Right now i think i am hungry and could easily go to the kitchen to find something to eat yet i know i have eaten enough this evening so am sat here trying to distract myself. I have arguments with myself in the supermarket because i want to buy icecream but know i shouldnt....actual arguments. i walk away, come back, tell myself no (and for the most time win that one thankfully)."

Many people self harm in one way or another Evie.

For some it's alcohol. They get help.

For others it's drugs. They get help.

For some it's cutting. They get help.

For hundreds of thousands it's food. They get ridiculed.

It's taking a long time for society to see that sugar is more addictive than crack.

King's Crustacean

I meant drugs not fanny

The issue is that there are too many shitty parents.

Now how do we deal with that?

King's Crustacean

"The issue is that there are too many shitty parents.

Now how do we deal with that?"

What made them 'shitty' ?

What made them 'shitty' ?"

Now you're thinking - getting to the roots.

evesham

"Last time we replied to one of these we were accused of being extreme. Just because we agreed with what Jamilia said on Loose Women. Unless you have a medical condition there's no need for anyone to be obese.

All i think about all day is food, i am scared of being hungry, i eat way too much (even when trying to be healthy i eat way too much healthy foods so its counter productive really). Right now i think i am hungry and could easily go to the kitchen to find something to eat yet i know i have eaten enough this evening so am sat here trying to distract myself. I have arguments with myself in the supermarket because i want to buy icecream but know i shouldnt....actual arguments. i walk away, come back, tell myself no (and for the most time win that one thankfully).

It's taking a long time for society to see that sugar is more addictive than crack. "

i agree completely and its one of the hardest addictions to overcome. With drugs and alcohol you can go cold turkey - you dont NEED to consume them to live. we have to eat and we have to have that daily battle of choice and consequence.

Teachers did not go into teaching to be social workers. Put the onus back on parents. If parents can't do the most basic tasks to care for their children then we're all fucked anyway.

King's Crustacean

Now you're thinking - getting to the roots."

Radical.

"I don't agree with taking food from the children. The parents need educating most of the time as to what constitutes a healthy choice.

Giving breakfast to children that have to be away from home early morning makes sense. When my child arrives at nursery she has breakfasted but its sometimes essential for very poor/uneducated families- its brain food afterall.

Tax sugar more by all means- but use the money to bring back compulsory home economics lessons."

tax sugar ? sugar levels is one of the most important things your body need what you going to tax next water and oxygen

It's down to the parent.

i know a fair few people where i work who dont know how to cook....honestly dont know how to. they are amazed to hear i dont have a microwave at home and cook most of my meals from scratch."

I learnt to cook from primarily my parents and then some effort on my part. There is simply nothing stopping people to eat healthy if they want to.

King's Crustacean

It's taking a long time for society to see that sugar is more addictive than crack.

i agree completely and its one of the hardest addictions to overcome. With drugs and alcohol you can go cold turkey - you dont NEED to consume them to live. we have to eat and we have to have that daily battle of choice and consequence."

Shop online. Order ONLY stuff that grows or once lived. Nothing else.

You'll glow with health in a very short time.

After the sugar withdrawal is over that is

There's no going back after that.

Gateshead council stopped giving out food licenses to new takeaways! but you can't get in Gregg's at lunchtime for school kids

evesham

"I don't agree with taking food from the children. The parents need educating most of the time as to what constitutes a healthy choice.

Tax sugar more by all means- but use the money to bring back compulsory home economics lessons.

tax sugar ? sugar levels is one of the most important things your body need what you going to tax next water and oxygen "

except taxing refined sugar would actually mean better control of blood glucose levels as it spikes levels and causes overeating and erratic energy levels. your body can get sufficient glucose from healthy food, we dont need sugar.

(see i know the theory yet could still eat a mars bar right now lol)

King's Crustacean

tax sugar ? sugar levels is one of the most important things your body need what you going to tax next water and oxygen "

Right. Sugar levels are important. It's important to keep them level not artifically high with REFINED white sugar. It's akin to poison and good for no one. There's enough natural sugar in real food.

Doesn't it all amount to neglect anyway?

Not like that can really be enforced - adult and children services are being ripped apart by lack of funding.

King's Crustacean

tax sugar ? sugar levels is one of the most important things your body need what you going to tax next water and oxygen

except taxing refined sugar would actually mean better control of blood glucose levels as it spikes levels and causes overeating and erratic energy levels. your body can get sufficient glucose from healthy food, we dont need sugar.

(see i know the theory yet could still eat a mars bar right now lol)"

He may join you with a deep fried one.

evesham

i agree completely and its one of the hardest addictions to overcome. With drugs and alcohol you can go cold turkey - you dont NEED to consume them to live. we have to eat and we have to have that daily battle of choice and consequence.

Shop online. Order ONLY stuff that grows or once lived. Nothing else.

You'll glow with health in a very short time.

After the sugar withdrawal is over that is

There's no going back after that. "

i cut out all sweet things in October last year and lost about 10lbs but sadly it has crept back in again. i have vowed that from next week i am back on it!!

King's Crustacean

"Doesn't it all amount to neglect anyway?

Not like that can really be enforced - adult and children services are being ripped apart by lack of funding."

As soon as ideas change people scream neglect. I'd have thought it clear that parents act on the thinking of the time they live in. It's a bit too soon to be persecuting them for the sins of the whole culture.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Obesity is a hugely complex problem and it would be wonderful if it wasn't. As Evie illustrates, its often tied psychologically, potentially medically and our lives today make it a perfect storm for this to get worse.

Did I hear that 7 teaspoons of sugar equivalent per day is the current guideline?

I certainly feel greater regulation of the food industry is needed, but this runs counter to conservative ideology.

I apologize if I'm a little mixed up tonight, I've been unwell since earlier this week and in agony.

Not like that can really be enforced - adult and children services are being ripped apart by lack of funding.

As soon as ideas change people scream neglect. I'd have thought it clear that parents act on the thinking of the time they live in. It's a bit too soon to be persecuting them for the sins of the whole culture. "

I would have thought they'd act on thinking of what is best for their children.

Now you're thinking - getting to the roots."

So....what's the answer then Lib?

"So....what's the answer then Lib?"

I'm not claiming to have the answer.

evesham

As soon as ideas change people scream neglect. I'd have thought it clear that parents act on the thinking of the time they live in. It's a bit too soon to be persecuting them for the sins of the whole culture.

I would have thought they'd act on thinking of what is best for their children."

and where do they get this information from? badly designed advice from medical professions (often tied to the food industry in some way or another), Current advice is to eat low fat foods, trouble is these are laced with sugar as it turns out that fat was what makes them taste nice lol this is changing slowly and people are seeing the light in terms of sugar.

King's Crustacean

I would have thought they'd act on thinking of what is best for their children."

They do. It takes time for things to change. Ideas are rapid change is slow.

Look ..... Let's say the feeling of the time is to dye your hair pink. You dye your hair pink. Thinking changes and the powers that be say .... Natural coloured hair is the way ......

Should we blame all the pink haired people while the dye grows out ?

Kick someone higher up the bleedin power chain not parents.

Yes i fully agree. Starve the lil buggers we will all save a fortune. Enough to buy atleast a years supply of mc donalds pmsl

He may join you with a deep fried one. "

i actually would iv been wanting to try one but thats my point whats about the kids who eat chocolate and stuff that isnt over weight ? is it fare to deny some people because of others ? ( and am def not got a problem with over weight people incase it comes across ) its purely about food

"and where do they get this information from? badly designed advice from medical professions (often tied to the food industry in some way or another), Current advice is to eat low fat foods, trouble is these are laced with sugar as it turns out that fat was what makes them taste nice lol this is changing slowly and people are seeing the light in terms of sugar."

Since when did common sense die? Everyone knows the raw facts and it doesn't take much to translate that.

When I grew up boys were playing football tennis pitch and putt and had bikes girl's had prams roller skates also bikes so we were exercising what do they have now computers TV games we couldn't afford a taxi or bus we walked or ran now it's dad's taxi no exercise at all maybe this doesn't help

"and where do they get this information from? badly designed advice from medical professions (often tied to the food industry in some way or another), Current advice is to eat low fat foods, trouble is these are laced with sugar as it turns out that fat was what makes them taste nice lol this is changing slowly and people are seeing the light in terms of sugar.

Since when did common sense die? Everyone knows the raw facts and it doesn't take much to translate that."

Got to agree with this. Children aren't getting seriously obese on eating a bit too much pasta or cereal. There are some fundamentals like "don't give your 2 year old sugary fizzy drinks" which have been lost somewhere along the line and there's really no excuse for except a load of people having children without the nous to raise them.

i actually would iv been wanting to try one but thats my point whats about the kids who eat chocolate and stuff that isnt over weight ? is it fare to deny some people because of others ? ( and am def not got a problem with over weight people incase it comes across ) its purely about food "

Because there r 3 body types, ectomorph can basically eat what they want and not put it on, but someone whose a mesomorph gain the weight a lot easier.

"Look ..... Let's say the feeling of the time is to dye your hair pink. You dye your hair pink. Thinking changes and the powers that be say .... Natural coloured hair is the way ......

Kick someone higher up the bleedin power chain not parents. "

Which person higher up would you like me to kick?

King's Crustacean

"Look ..... Let's say the feeling of the time is to dye your hair pink. You dye your hair pink. Thinking changes and the powers that be say .... Natural coloured hair is the way ......

Kick someone higher up the bleedin power chain not parents.

Which person higher up would you like me to kick?"

Hmmmmmmm let me see kemosabe...... We could start with the U.S. Corn industry and move from there.

in Lancashire

"and where do they get this information from? badly designed advice from medical professions (often tied to the food industry in some way or another), Current advice is to eat low fat foods, trouble is these are laced with sugar as it turns out that fat was what makes them taste nice lol this is changing slowly and people are seeing the light in terms of sugar.

Since when did common sense die? Everyone knows the raw facts and it doesn't take much to translate that.

Got to agree with this. Children aren't getting seriously obese on eating a bit too much pasta or cereal. There are some fundamentals like "don't give your 2 year old sugary fizzy drinks" which have been lost somewhere along the line and there's really no excuse for except a load of people having children without the nous to raise them."

this..

26,000 children requiring teeth surgery under a general anaesthetic between 2013/14 is verging on neglect..

i actually would iv been wanting to try one but thats my point whats about the kids who eat chocolate and stuff that isnt over weight ? is it fare to deny some people because of others ? ( and am def not got a problem with over weight people incase it comes across ) its purely about food Because there r 3 body types, ectomorph can basically eat what they want and not put it on, but someone whose a mesomorph gain the weight a lot easier."

so take food out the ( whatever morphs ) box and leave the other morphs alone or better still let them walk the four mile and problem solved

King's Crustacean

Got to agree with this. Children aren't getting seriously obese on eating a bit too much pasta or cereal. There are some fundamentals like "don't give your 2 year old sugary fizzy drinks" which have been lost somewhere along the line and there's really no excuse for except a load of people having children without the nous to raise them.

this..

26,000 children requiring teeth surgery under a general anaesthetic between 2013/14 is verging on neglect.."

I feel a new thread coming on. After i've brewed up.

"would getting out of bed half an hour earlier not solve that problem ?

its not that easy for everyone though. shift work, single parents, distance from school etc mean that some parents arent able to give their children breakfast."

I'm afraid I can't agree.

I was a single parent of two primary school aged girls. At the time I was in the Royal Navy. It's all about being organised. I prepared tea the night before so when I got the girls home from the childminder I swiftly produced a home cooked meal and still got them doing homework, played, bathed, stories, bed.

My house was immaculate. My girls were always well turned out.

They are slim, well nourished, articulate, educated, confident.

There's no excuses. Just be organised. I was a single parent first time around when my first daughter was 16 months. I was in the navy then too.

in Lancashire

this..

26,000 children requiring teeth surgery under a general anaesthetic between 2013/14 is verging on neglect..

I feel a new thread coming on. After i've brewed up. "

sweetener..?

Oh and none of my kids have any fillings.

its all about personal choice, you go to other countries and there isn't fast food joints on every corner, eat healthy peeps !!

i actually would iv been wanting to try one but thats my point whats about the kids who eat chocolate and stuff that isnt over weight ? is it fare to deny some people because of others ? ( and am def not got a problem with over weight people incase it comes across ) its purely about food Because there r 3 body types, ectomorph can basically eat what they want and not put it on, but someone whose a mesomorph gain the weight a lot easier.

so take food out the ( whatever morphs ) box and leave the other morphs alone or better still let them walk the four mile and problem solved "

lol yes and that's right, let them walk few miles would help them.

Got to agree with this. Children aren't getting seriously obese on eating a bit too much pasta or cereal. There are some fundamentals like "don't give your 2 year old sugary fizzy drinks" which have been lost somewhere along the line and there's really no excuse for except a load of people having children without the nous to raise them."

evesham

"would getting out of bed half an hour earlier not solve that problem ?

its not that easy for everyone though. shift work, single parents, distance from school etc mean that some parents arent able to give their children breakfast.

I'm afraid I can't agree.

I was a single parent of two primary school aged girls. At the time I was in the Royal Navy. It's all about being organised. I prepared tea the night before so when I got the girls home from the childminder I swiftly produced a home cooked meal and still got them doing homework, played, bathed, stories, bed.

My house was immaculate. My girls were always well turned out.

They are slim, well nourished, articulate, educated, confident.

There's no excuses. Just be organised. I was a single parent first time around when my first daughter was 16 months. I was in the navy then too. "

what hours did you work? were you able to fit them around your children's school times?

luckily my sister has the support of family nearby who take her children to school/nursery after having breakfast at one home or another but if she didnt she would more than likely need to use breakfast clubs at least twice a week as she and her husband have to travel for work regularly.

slow cookers are great as well as having some stock quick meals to cook up always helps. times have changed and wether people agree or not some parents have no choice but to use breakfast clubs.

[Removed by poster at 17/07/15 23:46:18]

All i think about all day is food, i am scared of being hungry, i eat way too much (even when trying to be healthy i eat way too much healthy foods so its counter productive really). Right now i think i am hungry and could easily go to the kitchen to find something to eat yet i know i have eaten enough this evening so am sat here trying to distract myself. I have arguments with myself in the supermarket because i want to buy icecream but know i shouldnt....actual arguments. i walk away, come back, tell myself no (and for the most time win that one thankfully)."

I can see so much of myself I what you are saying there

I've suffered with my weight all my life, I'm your classic yo yo dieter but when I loose weight i don't really diet as I simply have no idea how to control my eating, I'm not going to fully go into my problems as on a open forum isn't appropriate but many many people are obese due to mental health problems but even a lot of doctors don't fully understand it, all they do is give you slimming club vouchers which don't help a lot of people at all

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We have seen dieticians & nutritionalists for my 8 yr old son & filled out every food diary going!!!

He is 5 yrs younger but 1 stone heavier than his brother.

They gave conflicting advice. 2 years down the line & we've made little progress except a diagnosis of an underactive thyroid (which I had to push for by insisting on blood tests) which is rife in my family & hinders my weight loss. We're back in October to hopefully get medication.

He is obese and until he gets the medication he needs there's not much we can do but we are following slimming world.

He walks 1.5 miles per day for school, swims twice a week & does pe twice a week. He's also considering rugby.

I think it's wrong to assume kids are fat because of their parents. We've done everything we can to get help & so far been let down

evesham

i actually would iv been wanting to try one but thats my point whats about the kids who eat chocolate and stuff that isnt over weight ? is it fare to deny some people because of others ? ( and am def not got a problem with over weight people incase it comes across ) its purely about food Because there r 3 body types, ectomorph can basically eat what they want and not put it on, but someone whose a mesomorph gain the weight a lot easier.

so take food out the ( whatever morphs ) box and leave the other morphs alone or better still let them walk the four mile and problem solved "

then deal with the bullying and self esteem issues later

haha you're a fat kid, you cant have chocolate, look at my chocolate *fat kid thumps skinny kid*

My 2 year old is the exception at nursery in that she only has water and breastmilk. No squash. No watered down juice (which the staff enthusiatically told me about when I looked around!!)

Stats say that a third of the under 5's now suffer with tooth decay, and That it is down in no small way to sugary drinks.

Medical condition? There's no such thing! It's called eating too much.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"We have seen dieticians & nutritionalists for my 8 yr old son & filled out every food diary going!!!

They gave conflicting advice. 2 years down the line & we've made little progress except a diagnosis of an underactive thyroid (which I had to push for by insisting on blood tests) which is rife in my family & hinders my weight loss. We're back in October to hopefully get medication.

He is obese and until he gets the medication he needs there's not much we can do but we are following slimming world.

He walks 1.5 miles per day for school, swims twice a week & does pe twice a week. He's also considering rugby.

I think it's wrong to assume kids are fat because of their parents. We've done everything we can to get help & so far been let down

"

they've diagnosed him with an underactive thyroid but not giving any medication until October that's awful. Did they say why?

"Medical condition? There's no such thing! It's called eating too much. "

for most yes but not for all

Chams or Socials

"We have seen dieticians & nutritionalists for my 8 yr old son & filled out every food diary going!!!

they've diagnosed him with an underactive thyroid but not giving any medication until October that's awful. Did they say why?"

They don't like to prescribe it too early. It's heartbreaking, he refuses to have any more blood taken. All he wants is to be like his brother (who is probably at the lower end of his healthy weight range) & his friends.

evesham

ding ding ding....we have a winner!!!

i have PCOS which causes insulin resistance, which means that my cells do not readily accept insulin produced when eating and so this causes the body to think it needs more food because all this insulin is running round my blood wanting something to do.

whilst i am not saying it is impossible for people with insulin resistance to lose weight it is much more difficult.

All this 'just eat less' advice is rubbish. i could eat 2000 calories a day in mars bars but i wouldnt lose weight doing that. it is about learning what works for your body and eating RIGHT not LESS. this is a very hard thing to do and takes a lot of trial and error.

in Lancashire

"Oh and none of my kids have any fillings. "

im 56 and have only ever had one filling, the eldest of 5 and we didn't have fizzy drinks apart from the Corona man as a treat now and then..

different times, money was tight and the only 'fast food' apart from fish and chips was a very rare 'Wimpy'..

as parents we never allowed 'cola' in the house end of..

now days whilst some do struggle to eat healthily the world has changed and the desire by 'us' as consumers for fast, fat filled high sugary food has been exploited by the industries concerned..

Governments are in the pocket of the lobbyists for these industries and the cost in poor health and diet related medical conditions is borne by 'us' the taxpayer..

its a mess..

Forum Mod

East Sussex

they've diagnosed him with an underactive thyroid but not giving any medication until October that's awful. Did they say why?

They don't like to prescribe it too early. It's heartbreaking, he refuses to have any more blood taken. All he wants is to be like his brother (who is probably at the lower end of his healthy weight range) & his friends. "

I don't know much about underactive thyroid in children but I have it and I was given medication immediately ...poor boy

in Lancashire

yes there are for some and to say otherwise is ignorant..

assume your a medical professional, dietician then..?

"So....what's the answer then Lib?

I'm not claiming to have the answer."

oh I thought you would have an opinion after the too many shitty parents comment.....

They don't like to prescribe it too early. It's heartbreaking, he refuses to have any more blood taken. All he wants is to be like his brother (who is probably at the lower end of his healthy weight range) & his friends. "

thyroid changes very very slowly if he doesnt need meds just now its unlikely he will before oct am guessing when they re test blood

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Oh and none of my kids have any fillings.

im 56 and have only ever had one filling, the eldest of 5 and we didn't have fizzy drinks apart from the Corona man as a treat now and then..

different times, money was tight and the only 'fast food' apart from fish and chips was a very rare 'Wimpy'..

now days whilst some do struggle to eat healthily the world has changed and the desire by 'us' as consumers for fast, fat filled high sugary food has been exploited by the industries concerned..

Governments are in the pocket of the lobbyists for these industries and the cost in poor health and diet related medical conditions is borne by 'us' the taxpayer..

its a mess.."

The Corona man! My goodness that brings back memories, we used to get a bottle a week in the three or four weeks leading up to Christmas and mum kept them in the cupboard under the sink. We used to look at them with longing until the big day...red was my favourite

They don't like to prescribe it too early. It's heartbreaking, he refuses to have any more blood taken. All he wants is to be like his brother (who is probably at the lower end of his healthy weight range) & his friends.

I don't know much about underactive thyroid in children but I have it and I was given medication immediately ...poor boy "

I am/was hypothyroid and was monitored via regular blood tests for 18 months before they would have prescribed medication, by which time it had corrected itself. I thought a period of monitoring was fairly standard because it was quite common for levels to correct themselves...(but I don't know about in children so could be wrong)

Chams or Socials

I don't know much about underactive thyroid in children but I have it and I was given medication immediately ...poor boy "

My dad, sister & uncle all take medication, I have yearly blood tests but have stayed borderline for 14 years. I don't relish the thought of him being on medication at such a young age but if he needs it then he needs it. The whole situation depresses me

oh I thought you would have an opinion after the too many shitty parents comment....."

An opinion which I have (paritally) expressed, not an answer.

Why so hostile? Touched a nerve?

"Medical condition? There's no such thing! It's called eating too much.

ding ding ding....we have a winner!!!

i have PCOS which causes insulin resistance, which means that my cells do not readily accept insulin produced when eating and so this causes the body to think it needs more food because all this insulin is running round my blood wanting something to do.

whilst i am not saying it is impossible for people with insulin resistance to lose weight it is much more difficult.

All this 'just eat less' advice is rubbish. i could eat 2000 calories a day in mars bars but i wouldnt lose weight doing that. it is about learning what works for your body and eating RIGHT not LESS. this is a very hard thing to do and takes a lot of trial and error."

It is hard. I have PCOS and I was hypothyroid until it corrected itself. I'm also fucked up about food. It makes it harder to lose weight but not impossible. But I don't think we do ourselves any favours using any of these things as an excuse. I've been doing it for years and I wish I hadn't.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't know much about underactive thyroid in children but I have it and I was given medication immediately ...poor boy

I am/was hypothyroid and was monitored via regular blood tests for 18 months before they would have prescribed medication, by which time it had corrected itself. I thought a period of monitoring was fairly standard because it was quite common for levels to correct themselves...(but I don't know about in children so could be wrong) "

I can only relate my personal experience which was over twenty years ago. I had a blood test, the doctor rang me and said come and collect a prescription, I was and still am monitored yearly or six monthly if my levels and therefore dosage change. The doctor did say that it could right itself but it never did.

oh I thought you would have an opinion after the too many shitty parents comment.....

Why so hostile? Touched a nerve?"

No not at all.

Just asking why you think that & what the answer may be.

in Lancashire

its a mess..

The Corona man! My goodness that brings back memories, we used to get a bottle a week in the three or four weeks leading up to Christmas and mum kept them in the cupboard under the sink. We used to look at them with longing until the big day...red was my favourite "

happy days..

we had one of those carbonated drinks maker thingies with the syrup to add to water..

horrid..

Forum Mod

East Sussex

its a mess..

The Corona man! My goodness that brings back memories, we used to get a bottle a week in the three or four weeks leading up to Christmas and mum kept them in the cupboard under the sink. We used to look at them with longing until the big day...red was my favourite

happy days..

we had one of those carbonated drinks maker thingies with the syrup to add to water..

horrid.."

Soda stream, soda stream oh hey hey hey.

so take food out the ( whatever morphs ) box and leave the other morphs alone or better still let them walk the four mile and problem solved

haha you're a fat kid, you cant have chocolate, look at my chocolate *fat kid thumps skinny kid*"

skinny kid runs away with the chocolate fat kid chases . skinny kid gets away safely with the chocolate and fat kid gets a two mile jog

evesham

haha you're a fat kid, you cant have chocolate, look at my chocolate *fat kid thumps skinny kid*

skinny kid runs away with the chocolate fat kid chases . skinny kid gets away safely with the chocolate and fat kid gets a two mile jog "

no fat kid would jog for 2 miles, chocolate bar or no chocolate bar

in Lancashire

its a mess..

happy days..

horrid..

Soda stream, soda stream oh hey hey hey. "

that's it..

i preferred tap water..

Yes take all their food and make them live on water alone. Make the little rats suffer, I despise kids, horrible, nasty, 6 weeks holiday taking individuals

Seeing as the thyroid gland seems to feature as a prime suspect in many cases- anyone want to provide the details for those of us who only know the name, but not what it does?

Jus wunderin

No not at all.

"

I just think people think they can have kids these days with no/little consequence.

Asking teachers to monitor their food intake? How about take responsibility for the child you created, because, I don't know, you care for them? Ensuring their teeth are clean and taking an interest in their education. I don't understand and I do think it amounts to neglect.

And no, I don't blame a company for trying to sell foods. How about just not buy them? People know they are bad - it's rammed in our faces enough.

I personally wouldn't have them until I can provide the best possible life for them (one I'd want them to have). I do however realise this is a romantic ideal and not not always possible and, well, accidents do happen.

Adults (parents) need to take responsibility and not hand it to someone else. How to stop this? Fuck knows.

in Lancashire

"Seeing as the thyroid gland seems to feature as a prime suspect in many cases- anyone want to provide the details for those of us who only know the name, but not what it does?

Jus wunderin "

google is your friend..

I am/was hypothyroid and was monitored via regular blood tests for 18 months before they would have prescribed medication, by which time it had corrected itself. I thought a period of monitoring was fairly standard because it was quite common for levels to correct themselves...(but I don't know about in children so could be wrong)

I can only relate my personal experience which was over twenty years ago. I had a blood test, the doctor rang me and said come and collect a prescription, I was and still am monitored yearly or six monthly if my levels and therefore dosage change. The doctor did say that it could right itself but it never did. "

Ah I was told they didn't like to prescribe too early, but my levels weren't massively severe to be fair. And it has righted itself so I'm back on a yearly endocrinology appointment.

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 18/07/15 00:09:10]

I realise I'm not a parent and things would be different - but this is the reason I've chosen NOT a parent.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I can only relate my personal experience which was over twenty years ago. I had a blood test, the doctor rang me and said come and collect a prescription, I was and still am monitored yearly or six monthly if my levels and therefore dosage change. The doctor did say that it could right itself but it never did.

Ah I was told they didn't like to prescribe too early, but my levels weren't massively severe to be fair. And it has righted itself so I'm back on a yearly endocrinology appointment. "

I believe the medical term for my thyroid gland is "fucked"

"Seeing as the thyroid gland seems to feature as a prime suspect in many cases- anyone want to provide the details for those of us who only know the name, but not what it does?

Jus wunderin "

Google hypothyroid. Hyperthyroid is the opposite. It's actually quite common and no, it's not a made up thing.

evesham

Jus wunderin "

tis a very complicated endocrine gland in your neck that regulates how energy is used in the body, makes proteins and controls sensitivity to hormones in the body.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

for most yes but not for all"

There was an interesting piece on Woman's Hour last week about a genetic link to anorexia nervosa and a similar link to obesity.

Food is a complex issue. As Evie! says, with other addictions you can go cold turkey but we all need to eat. However, for some, even with a healthy relationship with food your genes will determine how that food behaves.

I'm fat. I know what I need to do in order to lose weight and I know it makes me mentally ill to do it. I chose to remain relatively mentally stable by remaining fat.

I think part of the issue with children and food is that it's hard to get them to like the healthier options when they have tasted the sweet things. Parents need to persist with vegetables even through the tantrums and food refusal when they are toddlers, combined with reducing the number of products made with corn syrup.

I would ban corn syrup as a first step.

The solution is so simple :

Cut the crap.

a) eat healthy foods, most often basic cheap and tasty.

b) cut all other bullshit, eg it's too far for me to walk to school with the kids, i have psychological issues, i prefer purchasing pink hair and tattoos over fresh food."

No not at all.

I just think people think they can have kids these days with no/little consequence.

Asking teachers to monitor their food intake? How about take responsibility for the child you created, because, I don't know, you care for them? Ensuring their teeth are clean and taking an interest in their education. I don't understand and I do think it amounts to neglect.

And no, I don't blame a company for trying to sell foods. How about just not buy them? People know they are bad - it's rammed in our faces enough.

I personally wouldn't have them until I can provide the best possible life for them (one I'd want them to have). I do however realise this is a romantic ideal and not not always possible and, well, accidents do happen.

Adults (parents) need to take responsibility and not hand it to someone else. How to stop this? Fuck knows."

King's Crustacean

for most yes but not for all

There was an interesting piece on Woman's Hour last week about a genetic link to anorexia nervosa and a similar link to obesity.

Food is a complex issue. As Evie! says, with other addictions you can go cold turkey but we all need to eat. However, for some, even with a healthy relationship with food your genes will determine how that food behaves.

I'm fat. I know what I need to do in order to lose weight and I know it makes me mentally ill to do it. I chose to remain relatively mentally stable by remaining fat.

I think part of the issue with children and food is that it's hard to get them to like the healthier options when they have tasted the sweet things. Parents need to persist with vegetables even through the tantrums and food refusal when they are toddlers, combined with reducing the number of products made with corn syrup.

I would ban corn syrup as a first step.

"

I don't agree with the 'cold turkey' argument presented on this thread in relation to food.

YES we'd have to go cold turkey from sugar but not from FOOD. We'd still eat...... like nutritional methodone.

No not at all.

Adults (parents) need to take responsibility and not hand it to someone else. How to stop this? Fuck knows.

"

Jus wunderin "

a disfunctional thyroid gland can cause many problems weight gain is actually not the biggest result of this, it's actually a gland in the neck which secretes hormones regulating growth and development through the rate of metabolism, when the right amount if hormones are not released it can cause problems which include depression, lack of sex drive and weight gain

basically if the thyroid gland isn't sending the right messages your metabolism will not act correctly as it's being sent the wrong messages

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Jus wunderin

a disfunctional thyroid gland can cause many problems weight gain is actually not the biggest result of this, it's actually a gland in the neck which secretes hormones regulating growth and development through the rate of metabolism, when the right amount if hormones are not released it can cause problems which include depression, lack of sex drive and weight gain

basically if the thyroid gland isn't sending the right messages your metabolism will not act correctly as it's being sent the wrong messages "

There are many symptoms of hypothyroidism that are often overlooked. Soft tissue tends to retain fluid and cause things like carpal tunnel syndrome, deafness and other problems. Constipation is a big problem and lack of appetite, your voice deepens, hair falls out, skin becomes very dry and you are so tired and achy all the Damn time. It's not a nice condition if it isn't properly controlled.

No not at all.

Adults (parents) need to take responsibility and not hand it to someone else. How to stop this? Fuck knows."

Thank you for answering & for the record I agree with you

No not at all.

Thank you for answering & for the record I agree with you "

how can you blame the parents when the school is feeding them breakfast and chips on top of the stuff they got on their lunch box

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Rather than read 130 or so posts, can I assume that this has descended into a free for all? Obviously not like a buffet.

King's Crustacean

No not at all.

how can you blame the parents when the school is feeding them breakfast and chips on top of the stuff they got on their lunch box "

Are you deliberately being obtuse ?

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

[Removed by poster at 18/07/15 00:43:09]

No not at all.

how can you blame the parents when the school is feeding them breakfast and chips on top of the stuff they got on their lunch box

Are you deliberately being obtuse ?"

why would i be ?

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

When I was growing up, we had chips - cooked in lard. In the town where I was born, eating pies was a staple diet and at school we had a tuck shop. I ate Crunchie after Crunchie.

Things is, I don't recall many obese kids because we were active. I am not at all convinced that it is just about the food but is more about being active and actually doing stuff outside. Getting hot, sweaty and burning up energy.

King's Crustacean

No not at all.

Are you deliberately being obtuse ?

why would i be ? "

How green is an orange ?

"When I was growing up, we had chips - cooked in lard. In the town where I was born, eating pies was a staple diet and at school we had a tuck shop. I ate Crunchie after Crunchie.

Things is, I don't recall many obese kids because we were active. I am not at all convinced that it is just about the food but is more about being active and actually doing stuff outside. Getting hot, sweaty and burning up energy."

True

my daughter hardly ever goes out she had no need to as she talks to her mates on the playstation, computer or phone

none of which we had as kids if we wanted to talk to our mates we had to go out

thing is as a 14 year old girl I'd sooner her be I her room than on the streets

times have changed

exactly and because of cut backs most primary schools do less p e they cut back on sports dont run football teams some schools kids dont have to leave the class room at playtime because you cant make kids go stand in the rain but suddenly its the parents fault

"When I was growing up, we had chips - cooked in lard. In the town where I was born, eating pies was a staple diet and at school we had a tuck shop. I ate Crunchie after Crunchie.

Things is, I don't recall many obese kids because we were active. I am not at all convinced that it is just about the food but is more about being active and actually doing stuff outside. Getting hot, sweaty and burning up energy."

Chances are you walked to and from school every day (aged 5 through to 15/16/18)and the only choices for school dinner was eat it or leave it. One main meal with taties and veg. And a pudding.

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS  over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

"

It's about fat kids with lazy parents who are to busy to feed then "

lazy but too busy ?

I think activity is the answer to a lot of the questions

My son is a fussy eater, is body conscious but walks a few miles a day to school so is slim & fit, it's his body make up.

My daughter eats everything & anything but is very sporty. She's definitely rounder than her brother & I think she'd be a lot bigger if she wasn't as active.

different body types but both active.

The schools need to look at what they serve in secondary schools. Pizza, chicken nuggets , chips etc and that's what many teenagers choose over healthier options. Not all, but some. Get wholemeal bread, pasta etc too as we seem obsessed with white bread etc still when mass catering. So change the menu !

In vending machines - often there's no healthy option. It's not all about packed lunches - it's the hot lunches too.

Obese kids....the responsibility lies with the teachers ,parents and kids .

Parents to feed them healthy meals at home , schools to have healthy menus daily or make them compulsory and kids to realise unhealthy foods are ok in small portions not on a daily basis.

IMO -Exercise is the answer...burn more then you eat and you don't need such a strict diet !

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

parents first and foremost, supported by teachers and any other professional whose role is healthcare/development for the children over the years until they take responsibility for themselves.

The World is also to blame. Too much junk food in the world today. No need for it.

Responsibility is a key thing here, a lot if people push the blame onto others. At the end of the day, It's not rocket science, less sugar / fat, more activity.

"It had the health service on its knees ...does agree with taking food out of children's lunchboxes ?"

Depends. If their lunchbox consists of utter crap then the child's parent is possibly uneducated about healthy food. Is it ok to do nothing while the child possibly gets malnourished?

However if every little treat is taken away, people won't learn about moderation.

It's down to the parent.

"

See I disagree. I do but healthy but it would be cheaper to buy crisps and chocolate and biscuits than the fruit I do buy.

For 3quid I would only get enough fruit for 2 days tops , that same 3quid would buy 24bags of crisps, two packets of biscuits and 3 cheap bars of chocolate. Enough to last more than a week. Sugar coated cereal is cheaper than the good stuff. Ican get 3 boxes of sugar filled cereal for 3quid at Tesco but they don't include the own brand weetabix in that or the shreddies.

So it's not cheap..and when your on a limited budget its a case of buying whst you can.

"It had the health service on its knees ...does agree with taking food out of children's lunchboxes ?

Depends. If their lunchbox consists of utter crap then the child's parent is possibly uneducated about healthy food. Is it ok to do nothing while the child possibly gets malnourished?

However if every little treat is taken away, people won't learn about moderation. "

See this is where I'm divided in my opinion. Whilst I agree totally with what you are saying above ^^ if this had been applied to my sons lunchbox he would have had no lunch at all.

For various reasons he wouldn't entertain the idea of a sandwich / pasta salad / fruit / carrot sticks ~ the only packed lunch he would have was a chocolate crepe, a small piece of apple, a few bread sticks and an orange juice ~ even then he just nibbled at it.

Again I suppose it's all about balance, I managed to get some 'healthy' food into him at other mealtimes & now he's a teenager who doesn't stop eating!

"It had the health service on its knees ...does agree with taking food out of children's lunchboxes ?

However if every little treat is taken away, people won't learn about moderation.

See this is where I'm divided in my opinion. Whilst I agree totally with what you are saying above ^^ if this had been applied to my sons lunchbox he would have had no lunch at all.

For various reasons he wouldn't entertain the idea of a sandwich / pasta salad / fruit / carrot sticks ~ the only packed lunch he would have was a chocolate crepe, a small piece of apple, a few bread sticks and an orange juice ~ even then he just nibbled at it.

Again I suppose it's all about balance, I managed to get some 'healthy' food into him at other mealtimes & now he's a teenager who doesn't stop eating!"

Sounds like a decent little lunch to me.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

[Removed by poster at 18/07/15 11:22:07]

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

to be fair to some parents, there is a small tribe in the deepest rainforests of the Amazon who won't have read that shovelling shit down the throats of children will lead to an unhealthy lifestyle....

so in fairness, it's a valid excuse the lack of education and knowledge

but then again, they probably don't

Forum Mod

East Sussex

my aunt was a teacher and then deputy headmistress in a primary school in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s she would be in despair sometimes that children would come to school with a kit kat and packet of fruit pastilles in their lunch box.....this isn't a recent thing although it might be more common now.

aaargh i get so angry when i see obese children - watching as their parents put all the cakes and such into the trolley- young children only eat what is made available to them and i have seen kids telling parents that they want such a thing as its better for them and being ignored - a few months ago i pulled up in a carpark about 4 pm - so after school before teatime - and a family of very over weight people were each eating a whole victoria cake each - we would cut into 6 if we had it atall - think my eyes went

Jus wunderin

basically if the thyroid gland isn't sending the right messages your metabolism will not act correctly as it's being sent the wrong messages "

Good answer, thanks also to Anna, Lickety,NN and Evie for their replies.

I'm a fairly active person, so dont really need to worry about weight much.

And when you don't suffer from a problem, it's easy to be unsympathetic.

But what's a few pounds between friends?

What does worry me? Is the type of comment above - something about food being loaded with fat and the person not being aware of that.

This must be referring to premade food- you should try avoid that crap. Are people eating. A lot of this junk?

Also, do some exercise that raises your heart beat- but bottom line is some people are naturally overweight.

Funny how a fat man is described as jolly? But fat lady is what?

» Add a new message to this topic