FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Biker advice

Biker advice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What's your opinion of a gsxr 600 for a first bike?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ushandkittyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

I just got a gsx750f for my first bike, am loving it.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Fun but guaranteed you'll want the 750 or the 1000 within 12 months

My ex went for the sv650 for his first bike

"What's your opinion of a gsxr 600 for a first bike?"

It's a good bike, can't recommend it though as it really is a question of fit.

Got to take it on a test ride of 20 miles or more see if it feels right.

I love my ZZR600 but being a bit on the tall side I can only ride it short distances, so use my bigger bikes most of the time.

I'm a lambretta man personally ts1 is what I want

Nothing wrong with a gsxr600 ( i have one) they will only go as fast as you open the throttle just be careful especially if its your 1st big bike

A very good reliable sports bike... can only say it's personal preference tho as previously said it's worth trying out a few to see what fits...

Go for the 750 gixer 600's are nice enough but the 7 is almost as quick as a thou and handles almost as nimbly as the six.

Any bike only goes as fast as you want it too and without doubt you will be bored with a six within a year of peeved off with the amount of gear changes trying to keep it at boiling point.

Personal opinion only

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

Its quite a skitish bike for your first 1 and the plastics cost a lot to repair when you drop it and you will drop it for sure. Fit crash bungs asap as this will save you loads in the long run. would buy a 600 honda hornet as cheap as chips dead easy to sell on as you will wanna sell within 6 months for a bigger bike for sure

By *andp01Couple  over a year ago

here n there

"What's your opinion of a gsxr 600 for a first bike?"

Too powerful for a first big bike, I know you will say " I wont go fast" but if its got it you will use it and that's where accidents live !Enjoy your biking this is where you really start to learn, ride defensively and don't forget your lifesavers, they aint called that for no reason

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

As most have said its personal preference. For me it would be a cbr6 or as someone said up there a zzr600. But what ever you choose be carfull and learn your skills. Passing your test is the start or learning to ride it means you have the basics nothing more after your test is when you really learn to ride and mistakes hurt you and your pocket. Best of luck

By *ldrunner69Man  over a year ago

lutterworth

My first bike was a Suzuki Bandit 600 and as others have said, for you first bike a 600 is plenty. You will then gain the experience to move up and faster too. I had a Blackbird.

"My first bike was a Suzuki Bandit 600 and as others have said, for you first bike a 600 is plenty. You will then gain the experience to move up and faster too. I had a Blackbird."

Yeah experience is everything... I've been to track days and seen good riders on 125 aprillias make the Sunday superbike boys look slow... xx

whatever you get never forget those idiots are pulling out on you and they defo don't see you...

Ride safe ride free xx

Manchester

"My first bike was a Suzuki Bandit 600 and as others have said, for you first bike a 600 is plenty. You will then gain the experience to move up and faster too. I had a Blackbird.

Yeah experience is everything... I've been to track days and seen good riders on 125 aprillias make the Sunday superbike boys look slow... xx

whatever you get never forget those idiots are pulling out on you and they defo don't see you...

Ride safe ride free xx"

I love the kids on 125s fuck they show balls or stupidity delete as you see fit

Great first big bike, would recommend but you'll soon join the 1000cc club

"

I love the kids on 125s fuck they show balls or stupidity delete as you see fit "

think it's both lol

Thanks all.

I've ridden crossers but this will be my first road bike.

Was looking to get a used bike no more than £3500 to learn on then up grade in 12 months time.

Looked around and considered cruisers and trails but have fallen for the gsxr.

Think it will be the bike for me.

Appreciate the advice given.

"Nothing wrong with a gsxr600 ( i have one) they will only go as fast as you open the throttle just be careful especially if its your 1st big bike"

My first was a yamaha divvy. My latest bike an sv650.

Next year I'm gonna get me a new bike....not sure what yet. I like the new yams. I like the new xj1300 but looks heavy.

By *eckandcarlCouple  over a year ago

leicester

Good bike for next step up !!

First ever bike?

Or first big bike?

If first ever, wrong choice. It's a bike designed to go racing. It has lights and a number plate.

If you are after something to get comfortable on. Something like an Suzuki sv is more aimed at Road riding

Manchester

"First ever bike?

Or first big bike?

If first ever, wrong choice. It's a bike designed to go racing. It has lights and a number plate.

If you are after something to get comfortable on. Something like an Suzuki sv is more aimed at Road riding "

Or even a vfr but possibly a little heavy

By *ittall2020Man  over a year ago

Norwich

GSXR6 is pretty lively for a first bike,I'd go for something a little tamer for a bit initially - would also help your insurance premiums too.

After a ten year break, I bought a CBR 600. Superb bike to re - introduce myself to. Yes you've made a good choice.

By *my-blackTV/TS  over a year ago

Poole

"Its quite a skitish bike for your first 1 and the plastics cost a lot to repair when you drop it and you will drop it for sure. Fit crash bungs asap as this will save you loads in the long run. would buy a 600 honda hornet as cheap as chips dead easy to sell on as you will wanna sell within 6 months for a bigger bike for sure "

This gets my vote

Thanks all

Well this thread isn't what I thought it would be but here's mine;

If you sit directly behind my van I can't see you.

If you sit right on my rear right corner, I spend more time than I'd like trying to watch you, trying to guess when you'll blip round me and cut back in too soon. It's really distracting.

You're the vulnerable one; please at least try to help me not to kill you. I try really hard not to but some of you seem intent on it.

Be safe

"please at least try to help me not to kill you. I try really hard not to but some of you seem intent on it.

Be safe "

Thank you, I do try to make eye contact through the mirror, only to see if there is a naked woman driving of course but sound advice.

By *stmateMan  over a year ago

Notts

Try a naked, triumph street triple. U will be pleasantly surprised and insurance won't be as hard on you

The person riding is ultimately in control over how fast or slow they want their bike to go.

If you can trust yourself and show restraint...any bike is good.

Failing that...get some advanced riding training done.

Dave

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Well this thread isn't what I thought it would be but here's mine;

If you sit directly behind my van I can't see you.

If you sit right on my rear right corner, I spend more time than I'd like trying to watch you, trying to guess when you'll blip round me and cut back in too soon. It's really distracting.

You're the vulnerable one; please at least try to help me not to kill you. I try really hard not to but some of you seem intent on it.

Be safe "

also where it says "think bike " it should also say "biker think " as to many don't before making stupid manouvers around my truck

Cbr 600 would be my preference bit less vibey and more comfortable.

As a biker who's mainly ridden off road (enduros), my road bikes have been big trail bike or supermoto style. Unless you really have got your heart set on a road bike, in which case plenty of good advice already given, don't discount a supermoto. The riding position you are used to with lots of rubber as well! KTM or even an older CCM R30..which is a ridiculously fun crazy thing! Ok, about 110mph tops, but you don't want to lose your licence anyway! Just don't think about taking a pillion....

» Add a new message to this topic