FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Britain's Forgotten Slave Owners

Britain's Forgotten Slave Owners

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

BBC2 now.

It looks like I'm having a race week with my film and television viewing.

David Olusoga is looking at the people who owned slaves, the massive compensation they received on the abolition of slavery and how that money built Britain.

They were paid the equivalent of £17bn today!

I'm from that slave stock and its replacement of indenture (which only ended in 1917).

I enjoyed his programmes on the contribution the colonies made to the WWI effort so I'm looking forward to this.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"BBC2 now.

David Olusoga is looking at the people who owned slaves, the massive compensation they received on the abolition of slavery and how that money built Britain.

I'm from that slave stock and its replacement of indenture (which only ended in 1917).

I enjoyed his programmes on the contribution the colonies made to the WWI effort so I'm looking forward to this.

"

Men tend to forget History when it is convenient...

"BBC2 now.

"

I don't suppose it will include the tens of thousands of the descendants of French nobility who enslaved the native English population in 1066?

Is this a new reality ITV programme?

"

"

The cry now isn't that they have forgotten, as such, but that we should stop bleating on about it.

I do bleat on about it as I believe that mass slave trade that built the west and destroyed much of the rest continues to affect our lives now. Some of it for the good (look at the wonderful architecture in those grand cities built from the riches of the slave trade or, as this programme posits, the endowments in learning/libraries/arts).

I'm interested in history and what it teaches us that we can apply to now. In Our Time is a favourite on R4.

"BBC2 now.

I don't suppose it will include the tens of thousands of the descendants of French nobility who enslaved the native English population in 1066?"

No, it's looking at black enslavement to work the sugar plantations.

By *isdirtygirlCouple  over a year ago

somewhere out there

Slavery is very often seen as a crime perpetrated mainly by Europeans and Americans. However there are two other groups that appear overlooked - the Arab slavers who plundered the East Coast of Africa and the African people of the west coast who happily supplied slaves to the slave trade. I often wonder whether the descendants of these groups feel anywhere near the guilt that people in the west feel about slavery.

"Is this a new reality ITV programme?"

That's more a fly on the wall, hidden camera documentary.

"Slavery is very often seen as a crime perpetrated mainly by Europeans and Americans. However there are two other groups that appear overlooked - the Arab slavers who plundered the East Coast of Africa and the African people of the west coast who happily supplied slaves to the slave trade. I often wonder whether the descendants of these groups feel anywhere near the guilt that people in the west feel about slavery."

I have wondered about this too. When I have looked at this my conclusion has been that they didn't profit to the extent that the west did. As in all supply chains the profit margins favoured one group more than others in that supply chain. The end buyer got the continued use and breeding of new slaves from their purchase.

"Slavery is very often seen as a crime perpetrated mainly by Europeans and Americans. However there are two other groups that appear overlooked - the Arab slavers who plundered the East Coast of Africa and the African people of the west coast who happily supplied slaves to the slave trade. I often wonder whether the descendants of these groups feel anywhere near the guilt that people in the west feel about slavery."

This often overlooked. African societies that supplied African slave become quite wealthy indeed. I doubt the feel the same level of guilt if any. IMO hand wringing for sin of our fathers seems to be something unique to western liberal democracies at the moment.

"

The cry now isn't that they have forgotten, as such, but that we should stop bleating on about it.

I do bleat on about it as I believe that mass slave trade that built the west and destroyed much of the rest continues to affect our lives now. Some of it for the good (look at the wonderful architecture in those grand cities built from the riches of the slave trade or, as this programme posits, the endowments in learning/libraries/arts).

I'm interested in history and what it teaches us that we can apply to now. In Our Time is a favourite on R4."

You might haven't forgotten, but most people tend to do so...

Are you talking about colonisation? I can see your point of view about the "good" that came out of it, but talking about the benefit of colonisation, remains to say, the poor girl has been raped but at least she cummed at some point...

If it hasn't been done in a certain way of "Educate the savages" as they used to call it in France, I would admit the benefit of it, but those so called benefit was built for the colons, and has been ended over after the decolonisation phase...

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

"Slavery is very often seen as a crime perpetrated mainly by Europeans and Americans. However there are two other groups that appear overlooked - the Arab slavers who plundered the East Coast of Africa and the African people of the west coast who happily supplied slaves to the slave trade. I often wonder whether the descendants of these groups feel anywhere near the guilt that people in the west feel about slavery.

I have wondered about this too. When I have looked at this my conclusion has been that they didn't profit to the extent that the west did. As in all supply chains the profit margins favoured one group more than others in that supply chain. The end buyer got the continued use and breeding of new slaves from their purchase.

"

I'm from the Black Country we prefer not to mention chains, according to someone with a OBE we have not apologized enough and included chains in our regions flag. Great programme very informative & insightful

By *dam and slutCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

In the early 18th century, Kings of Dahomey (known today as Benin) became big players in the slave trade, waging a bitter war on their neighbours, resulting in the capture of 10,000, including another important slave trader, the King of Whydah. King Tegbesu made £250,000 a year selling people into slavery in 1750. King Gezo said in the 1840's he would do anything the British wanted him to do apart from giving up slave trade:

"

I'm interested in history and what it teaches us that we can apply to now. In Our Time is a favourite on R4.

Are you talking about colonisation? I can see your point of view about the "good" that came out of it, but talking about the benefit of colonisation, remains to say, the poor girl has been raped but at least she cummed at some point...

If it hasn't been done in a certain way of "Educate the savages" as they used to call it in France, I would admit the benefit of it, but those so called benefit was built for the colons, and has been ended over after the decolonisation phase...

"

Colonisation has created the modern issues the country (and others) are dealing with now. For me, it didn't end long enough ago for the washing of hands that happens about this. When I see the comments that those countries should sort themselves out and stop expecting support from the UK it misses completely the mess that was created and left behind.

"In the early 18th century, Kings of Dahomey (known today as Benin) became big players in the slave trade, waging a bitter war on their neighbours, resulting in the capture of 10,000, including another important slave trader, the King of Whydah. King Tegbesu made £250,000 a year selling people into slavery in 1750. King Gezo said in the 1840's he would do anything the British wanted him to do apart from giving up slave trade:"

People of all hues were reluctant to lose that golden goose. Some continue the trade now in African and pan-Asian countries. It's as abhorrent now as it should have been then.

"

Colonisation has created the modern issues the country (and others) are dealing with now. For me, it didn't end long enough ago for the washing of hands that happens about this. When I see the comments that those countries should sort themselves out and stop expecting support from the UK it misses completely the mess that was created and left behind.

"

I couldn't agree more with you, complaining about immigration but forgetting about colonisation... how handy is that ?

If you really want to fix a problem, deal with the cause of it not the consequences...

Love your views on it

By *awk_eyeMan  over a year ago

east london

I've learned more about Britain's involvement in the slave trade in the last hour than I did during 5yrs at secondary school. God knows what's being taught in school these days but we must never forget our country's history, even the ugly parts.

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

"I've learned more about Britain's involvement in the slave trade in the last hour than I did during 5yrs at secondary school. God knows what's being taught in school these days but we must never forget our country's history, even the ugly parts."

The depth of detail has been fascinating.

"

"

This sort of comment always bemuses me. What percentage, if any, of people, from stock of liberated ex slaves EVER go back to their homeland and work at trying to sort the "mess left behind" out?

Very very few i would wager.

Would they indeed ever be here but for the slave trade.

I'm also pretty sure that much, much of the West, certainly the UK was built on more than the slave trade. Far more than the agenda of the Op would have us believe.

"Here, King John would you sign this Magna Carta pretty darn quick 'cos i have a few slaves i need to bullwhip before i can set sail for the Windies."

King John : "Wtf you on?"

"I've learned more about Britain's involvement in the slave trade in the last hour than I did during 5yrs at secondary school. God knows what's being taught in school these days but we must never forget our country's history, even the ugly parts.

The depth of detail has been fascinating."

If you didn't see his three part programme on the black and Asian contributions to the Great War try and find them.

I have been impressed with the level of research and the story-telling so necessary to make it good television. It's in the planner for the second part next week.

manchester & NI

I can't wait for the next episode that uncovers how the money from slavery has helped to build Britain.

The right wingers will be up in arms.

By *osafewordneededMan  over a year ago

City

Did they mention the Irish slaves? How they were sold in lots as big as 30,000?

How they used to forcebreed white Irish women slaves with african slaves because the children were more expensive and made more money than an african slave or white slave.

manchester & NI

"I've learned more about Britain's involvement in the slave trade in the last hour than I did during 5yrs at secondary school. God knows what's being taught in school these days but we must never forget our country's history, even the ugly parts.

The depth of detail has been fascinating.

If you didn't see his three part programme on the black and Asian contributions to the Great War try and find them.

I have been impressed with the level of research and the story-telling so necessary to make it good television. It's in the planner for the second part next week.

"

What really touches me in documentaries is when personal stories are told, it's a much more visceral connection to the past.

I wish we had those type of stories from the ancient world about daily life.

"

"

Yeah just look at the mess America is in because of its colonial past....

By *isdirtygirlCouple  over a year ago

somewhere out there

"Slavery is very often seen as a crime perpetrated mainly by Europeans and Americans. However there are two other groups that appear overlooked - the Arab slavers who plundered the East Coast of Africa and the African people of the west coast who happily supplied slaves to the slave trade. I often wonder whether the descendants of these groups feel anywhere near the guilt that people in the west feel about slavery.

This often overlooked. African societies that supplied African slave become quite wealthy indeed. I doubt the feel the same level of guilt if any. IMO hand wringing for sin of our fathers seems to be something unique to western liberal democracies at the moment."

The wealth and prestige that the African slavers enjoyed is still in some cases enjoyed by their descendants today. Maybe not the big money Europe made but the families are still very wealthy by African standards.

"BBC2 now.

"

So by that logic can we ban the Union Jack the same way as they've banned the southern cross in the states?

Gets my vote.

"

This sort of comment always bemuses me. What percentage, if any, of people, from stock of liberated ex slaves EVER go back to their homeland and work at trying to sort the "mess left behind" out?

I'm also pretty sure that much, much of the West, certainly the UK was built on more than the slave trade. Far more than the agenda of the Op would have us believe.

"Here, King John would you sign this Magna Carta pretty darn quick 'cos i have a few slaves i need to bullwhip before i can set sail for the Windies."

King John : "Wtf you on?" "

I can give you name who has been assassinated when trying to solve their Homeland...

Let's start with Patrice Lumumba... when People try to do so, the establishment wouldn't allow it...

I don't think the Op has an agenda either

".

I couldn't agree more with you, complaining about immigration but forgetting about colonisation... how handy is that ?

"

So if you have a criminal in your family tree you can never complain about being a victim of crime?

Pretty we left behind the "sins of the father" attitude a long time ago.

"

King John : "Wtf you on?" "

Get your timeline straight and I might be more interested in the comments.

Dismissing two centuries of slavery with would "they" (me) even be here without the slave trade? What does that even mean? Would you be here if your mother hadn't met your father.

You're right, I have never been back to help sort out the mess left behind in my colony - it's a hot place and I don't do hot. I do know others who have been back, do go back and have helped to improve things.

In the case of my colonial country the whole first election process was subverted by the British, reneging on what had been agreed, in order to appease America. That mess lasted for some 30 years. That mess meant that some people couldn't go back to try and help.

The programme was quite illuminating and just how much was created to support that slave trade and how much it has built this country. Of course it's not the only thing but colonisation is what made this country "Great" Britain - having an Empire - and that had more people and more land this just these islands all providing to the fewer people in the motherland. It is not insignificant. A compensation payoff of £17bn in today's money should be enough to tell you that.

"

I can give you name who has been assassinated when trying to solve their Homeland...

Let's start with Patrice Lumumba... when People try to do so, the establishment wouldn't allow it...

I don't think the Op has an agenda either"

But he wasn't the descendent of a slave in the west who went back he was born there.

"Did they mention the Irish slaves? How they were sold in lots as big as 30,000?

How they used to forcebreed white Irish women slaves with african slaves because the children were more expensive and made more money than an african slave or white slave."

They didn't but that's a story that needs to be told too.

The story of the enslavement of Indians isn't talked about either as it was called indenture but more died in those ships than in the African slave trade.

I hope that those stories are presented too.

".

So if you have a criminal in your family tree you can never complain about being a victim of crime?

"

if your complain doesn't involve some hate towards those immigrants due to their ethnical background, of course you can, however, you can't complaint about it if your support the government that creates that sort of situation possible...

"Did they mention the Irish slaves? How they were sold in lots as big as 30,000?

How they used to forcebreed white Irish women slaves with african slaves because the children were more expensive and made more money than an african slave or white slave.

They didn't but that's a story that needs to be told too.

The story of the enslavement of Indians isn't talked about either as it was called indenture but more died in those ships than in the African slave trade.

I hope that those stories are presented too.

"

There was also the Barbary slave trade.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

"BBC2 now.

So by that logic can we ban the Union Jack the same way as they've banned the southern cross in the states?

Gets my vote.

"

It'd be interesting. In many parts of the world there is no love lost on the "butcher's apron"

"

But he wasn't the descendent of a slave in the west who went back he was born there."

No he was just living under the colons rules in his own country... my bad...

".

"

I'm more practical than that. I don't want to seek vengeance on anyone for what their parents did. What I do seek is that we follow the history to understand where we are now and deal with the here and now. Not dismiss the past as having nothing to do with it.

To follow through on your example, there are instances where the family, friends and associates are punished for the sin of the father. That's not right but it's right to question what they knew, when they knew it and what their role was in hiding the sin or being complicit in it.

manchester & NI

".

I'm more practical than that. I don't want to seek vengeance on anyone for what their parents did. What I do seek is that we follow the history to understand where we are now and deal with the here and now. Not dismiss the past as having nothing to do with it.

To follow through on your example, there are instances where the family, friends and associates are punished for the sin of the father. That's not right but it's right to question what they knew, when they knew it and what their role was in hiding the sin or being complicit in it.

"

Many people are ready, willing and able to forget the 'sins' of their fathers but happily trumpet their 'victories'.

"

I don't think the Op has an agenda either"

Well, there's your problem, one person can't change a country just as Emmeline Pankhurst alone didn't win votes for women.

"

Well, there's your problem, one person can't change a country just as Emmeline Pankhurst alone didn't win votes for women."

I think one person can make things move though, many example through History... Ghandi, Malcolm X, Luther King...

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

"

Well, there's your problem, one person can't change a country just as Emmeline Pankhurst alone didn't win votes for women.

I think one person can make things move though, many example through History... Ghandi, Malcolm X, Luther King...

"

Ooo,someone who admires Neitzche...

By *r Man.Man  over a year ago

London

As a descendent of slavery, just like OP.

Slavery existed and was practised in northern Africa as far back before biblical times.

All what happened was that the Europeans saw a commercial product which they could profit from, and used the bible to justify there actions re Leviticus, which stated

"you can enslave your neighbours, neighbour"

So who do I blame for my existence. The Africans who enslaved themselves. Or the Europeans who new that there was a commercial aspect to this, having the bible as the rule book that justified there action.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Slavery still goes on today in many parts of the world unfortunately. The Burmese government for example uses forced labour in place such as Karen state (eastern Burma, on the boarder with Thailand) to carry equipment through the jungle, build fortifications, build walls around villages to turn them into prisons etc, as well as the forced confiscation of food, building materials, livestock etc.

".

Many people are ready, willing and able to forget the 'sins' of their fathers but happily trumpet their 'victories'."

Boy oh boy ain't that the truth!!

(See BBC 1-4's weekly war listings (×52) for more details!!

The second part is just starting.

There was a piece on R4 this morning about Dr Walter Rodney and his fight to break the racial tensions in Guyana.

It's interesting to see how that began.

Same thing happening now with the people smugglers....trading on the misery of their own countrymen.

The west couldn't have bought slaves from the West African coast if the West Africans themselves were not raiding Central Africa to harvest the slaves in the first place.

The guilt spreads to all!

Interesting that they are likening the payouts to slave owners to the bank bail-out. It was too big a business to be allowed to fail.

If I may share a personal view, we should never forget slavery it should be held up as an example of how in our ignorance we got it sooo wrong, it shouldn't however be an opportunity to make whit people feel guilty, we are all equal in society now, mistakes were made, it was a tragic time, and lives were lost, both slaves and the men that fought in the American civil war, there are no real positives to take from slavery, but it's end is a cause for celebration, so let's not look to the past for someone to blame, let's look to the past for what not to do

Let's love each other

"If I may share a personal view, we should never forget slavery it should be held up as an example of how in our ignorance we got it sooo wrong, it shouldn't however be an opportunity to make whit people feel guilty, we are all equal in society now, mistakes were made, it was a tragic time, and lives were lost, both slaves and the men that fought in the American civil war, there are no real positives to take from slavery, but it's end is a cause for celebration, so let's not look to the past for someone to blame, let's look to the past for what not to do

Let's love each other "

I don't disagree.

I feel knowing the history is important and we should learn from that history.

The programme is very well balanced.

Fascinating documentary - very interesting. British history never ceases to surprise me!

Thinking Allowed on R4 today was all about colour. It was an interesting romp through how black and white (as colours and then as people) have different associations depending where you are from.

"Fascinating documentary - very interesting. British history never ceases to surprise me!"

It makes me wonder if slavery had continued would the investment in infrastructure have happened that lead to the building of modern Britain?

His last point on racial theories, the Empire, the re-writing of personal histories is all part of our legacy now.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Interesting that they are likening the payouts to slave owners to the bank bail-out. It was too big a business to be allowed to fail.

"

Surely it was just the usual governmental policy of compensating a group of people affected by a change in legislation, as happens to this day, otherwise the affected party could simply sue the government.

I do wonder sometimes about the politics of such programs, which always seem to be happy to promulgate the (racist?) evil white man vs innocent black man narrative. What would have happened to men captured in tribal african wars, if they had had no value to the slave traders? Would they not have been killed? Would their future have been so much better?

The truth is capitalism has always allowed the wealthy to profit on the backs of the weak and uneducated, regardless of colour. The troubles in Ireland, are they truely about religion, or simply rich incoming landlords subjugating the indigenous poor? The same for the scottish landowners of the lowlands and the highlanders, the Americans and the Indians, the Babylonians with the Jews, the Romans with the Celts.

My grandmother, in 1932, died in a Glasgow workhouse, in conditions not much better than slavery. Even today, tenant farmers on the landed estates pay so much of their income in rents that they don't even make the minimum wage, workers still live in tied accommodation and can be made homeless.and destitute if they don't obey their masters.

I haven't seen this weeks show yet, but I hope the presenter will make much of how cities like Bristol, with much of the educational infrastructure paid for from profits of people who used slaves, now uses that infrastructure to educate black and white, rich and poor alike, helping improve the future lives of everyone.

I hope this will be the presenters conclusion. Last time I lived in Bristol instead the call was for me, by virtue simply of the colour of my skin, to pay reparations to another man, simply for the colour of his skin.

(Sorry Lickety)

Mr ddc

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

It was a well done piece of 'telly', its interesting and we should know our history even the less than good parts..

went to school in Liverpool and it was never mentioned that a large part of that cities wealth came from the slave trade, it was hidden yet many of the cities main streets are named after slavers which tells a lot..

i have a friend who's name is that of the family who owned the plantation where his descendants were born as slaves..

to not know ones full history would be hard..

Derbyshire

And I forgot about the Chinese cockle-pickers, the Romanian vegetable pickers and the eastern European sex-trade.

Slavery is not yet over, we still have some distance to go.

"Interesting that they are likening the payouts to slave owners to the bank bail-out. It was too big a business to be allowed to fail.

Surely it was just the usual governmental policy of compensating a group of people affected by a change in legislation, as happens to this day, otherwise the affected party could simply sue the government.

I do wonder sometimes about the politics of such programs, which always seem to be happy to promulgate the (racist?) evil white man vs innocent black man narrative. What would have happened to men captured in tribal african wars, if they had had no value to the slave traders? Would they not have been killed? Would their future have been so much better?

The truth is capitalism has always allowed the wealthy to profit on the backs of the weak and uneducated, regardless of colour. The troubles in Ireland, are they truely about religion, or simply rich incoming landlords subjugating the indigenous poor? The same for the scottish landowners of the lowlands and the highlanders, the Americans and the Indians, the Babylonians with the Jews, the Romans with the Celts.

My grandmother, in 1932, died in a Glasgow workhouse, in conditions not much better than slavery. Even today, tenant farmers on the landed estates pay so much of their income in rents that they don't even make the minimum wage, workers still live in tied accommodation and can be made homeless.and destitute if they don't obey their masters.

I haven't seen this weeks show yet, but I hope the presenter will make much of how cities like Bristol, with much of the educational infrastructure paid for from profits of people who used slaves, now uses that infrastructure to educate black and white, rich and poor alike, helping improve the future lives of everyone.

I hope this will be the presenters conclusion. Last time I lived in Bristol instead the call was for me, by virtue simply of the colour of my skin, to pay reparations to another man, simply for the colour of his skin.

(Sorry Lickety)

Mr ddc"

No need to be sorry, that's your view and your experience. Mine is somewhat different, of course.

Of course we still have slavery and, for me, that's part of why it's important to understand history. The fact that we let slavery continue should shame us all.

in Lancashire

"And I forgot about the Chinese cockle-pickers, the Romanian vegetable pickers and the eastern European sex-trade.

Slavery is not yet over, we still have some distance to go."

Derbyshire

"

Mr ddc

No need to be sorry, that's your view and your experience. Mine is somewhat different, of course.

Of course we still have slavery and, for me, that's part of why it's important to understand history. The fact that we let slavery continue should shame us all.

"

I know, but I still feel I should.

I just feel if we are going to fight injustice, we should concentrate on present day injustices, not dwell on injustices caused to one ancestor by someone wholly unrelated to either of us. And that we should be fighting injustice wherever it may be found, and regardless of skin colour. Should not colour-blindness work both ways?

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

Along with the Portuguese slave traders as well,Even Amongst our own in the late Eighteenth/early nineteenth centurys An early form of social service saw The building of workhouse,s in order to care for the growing population of Paupers and orphans left behind by the All too rapid expansion of the Industrial revolution. After a system of events children as young as 8 were Sent to work in cotton mills in derbyshire,s peak district their lives Were full of drudgery and despair and In one particular dale they worked they recieved the name.. the orphanage Slaves very harrowing times Indeed.

"

Mr ddc

I know, but I still feel I should.

I just feel if we are going to fight injustice, we should concentrate on present day injustices, not dwell on injustices caused to one ancestor by someone wholly unrelated to either of us. And that we should be fighting injustice wherever it may be found, and regardless of skin colour. Should not colour-blindness work both ways?"

In an ideal world it would, however, we still have racial injustice here, much of it predicated on what has happened in the past. When the power is still held by one set of people based on colour then it's very difficult to say that white people are experiencing racism.

On the basis of your post all history programmes would have to go too. Or is only the safe history that doesn't involve race and enslavement ok? There isn't that much of that in reality.

The programme on the graveyards found on the crossrail route in the City found the bones of black people, showing that we've been here since 17th century. Should the interesting fact that some of the people were black be ignored?

"Slavery is very often seen as a crime perpetrated mainly by Europeans and Americans. However there are two other groups that appear overlooked - the Arab slavers who plundered the East Coast of Africa and the African people of the west coast who happily supplied slaves to the slave trade. I often wonder whether the descendants of these groups feel anywhere near the guilt that people in the west feel about slavery.Along with the Portuguese slave traders as well,Even Amongst our own in the late Eighteenth/early nineteenth centurys An early form of social service saw The building of workhouse,s in order to care for the growing population of Paupers and orphans left behind by the All too rapid expansion of the Industrial revolution. After a system of events children as young as 8 were Sent to work in cotton mills in derbyshire,s peak district their lives Were full of drudgery and despair and In one particular dale they worked they recieved the name.. the orphanage Slaves very harrowing times Indeed."

When I was a child I met what I thought was an old woman then, I now realise she wasn't much older than I am now. She remembered being in a workhouse and how scared her family were when they were closed down. She told us that when they were given a new council house they thought angels had visited them.

derby

"Slavery still goes on today in many parts of the world unfortunately. The Burmese government for example uses forced labour in place such as Karen state (eastern Burma, on the boarder with Thailand) to carry equipment through the jungle, build fortifications, build walls around villages to turn them into prisons etc, as well as the forced confiscation of food, building materials, livestock etc."
Similar mindset to the japanese in the second world war when they occupied those area,s and probabily at times apart from beheading, baynateing, and a few tortures just as Brutal.

derby

"Slavery is very often seen as a crime perpetrated mainly by Europeans and Americans. However there are two other groups that appear overlooked - the Arab slavers who plundered the East Coast of Africa and the African people of the west coast who happily supplied slaves to the slave trade. I often wonder whether the descendants of these groups feel anywhere near the guilt that people in the west feel about slavery.Along with the Portuguese slave traders as well,Even Amongst our own in the late Eighteenth/early nineteenth centurys An early form of social service saw The building of workhouse,s in order to care for the growing population of Paupers and orphans left behind by the All too rapid expansion of the Industrial revolution. After a system of events children as young as 8 were Sent to work in cotton mills in derbyshire,s peak district their lives Were full of drudgery and despair and In one particular dale they worked they recieved the name.. the orphanage Slaves very harrowing times Indeed.

When I was a child I met what I thought was an old woman then, I now realise she wasn't much older than I am now. She remembered being in a workhouse and how scared her family were when they were closed down. She told us that when they were given a new council house they thought angels had visited them."

Derbyshire

"

In an ideal world it would, however, we still have racial injustice here, much of it predicated on what has happened in the past. When the power is still held by one set of people based on colour then it's very difficult to say that white people are experiencing racism.

On the basis of your post all history programmes would have to go too. Or is only the safe history that doesn't involve race and enslavement ok? There isn't that much of that in reality.

The programme on the graveyards found on the crossrail route in the City found the bones of black people, showing that we've been here since 17th century. Should the interesting fact that some of the people were black be ignored?

"

Oh no, all history is fascinating, and can teach us so much. My point was only that we should be careful about applying our modern-day values to people from a bygone age. Especially if done for purely political ends.

Racism is a separate issue, I could tell you about my experiences in North Wales, when I was sent to replace a previous engineer hounded out solely for being English (I won them round by pointing out my ginger hair made me more celtish than they were!) Or perhaps the experiences of my mixed-race niece, unfortunate enough to be mixed with a race where the intolerance is becoming increasingly permissible.

And I don't agree that the country is ruled by an elite seeking to ensure that only white people have a say. There are MPs of every creed and colour, and no legislation seeks to deliberately disadvantage one group of people simply by the colour of their skin.

But I feel a bit of a fraud commenting when I have still to watch part 2, so I'm off to do so now.

"

Oh no, all history is fascinating, and can teach us so much. My point was only that we should be careful about applying our modern-day values to people from a bygone age. Especially if done for purely political ends.

Racism is a separate issue, I could tell you about my experiences in North Wales, when I was sent to replace a previous engineer hounded out solely for being English (I won them round by pointing out my ginger hair made me more celtish than they were!) Or perhaps the experiences of my mixed-race niece, unfortunate enough to be mixed with a race where the intolerance is becoming increasingly permissible.

And I don't agree that the country is ruled by an elite seeking to ensure that only white people have a say. There are MPs of every creed and colour, and no legislation seeks to deliberately disadvantage one group of people simply by the colour of their skin.

But I feel a bit of a fraud commenting when I have still to watch part 2, so I'm off to do so now."

If you didn't see it I would recommend the series he made on the black and Asian contribution to WWI.

Derbyshire

" But I feel a bit of a fraud commenting when I have still to watch part 2, so I'm off to do so now.

If you didn't see it I would recommend the series he made on the black and Asian contribution to WWI.

"

Very interesting, I couldn't work out if he was agreeing with the satirist who was concerned that they were forgetting about the poor in the uk, and sad that the compensation was ploughed back into the horrors of the industrial revolution. It was a shame it didn't go further: I doubt the 'end of slavery' was anywhere near the end of the story for slaves involved, and I bet they too saw a minimal difference to their everyday lives, with any 'wages' taken back via rent and food charges.

And I didn't mean to be insensitive earlier, I just don't feel a personal sense of guilt for something I, nor any of my ancestors did. (I was the first person ever in our family to own almost anything!)

I haven't seen his other programme, but I read a fair bit about ww1 for the centenary, so knew about the Indian and Gurkha brigades, though not the West Indian one.

By *he tactile technicianMan  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

"I don't suppose it will include the tens of thousands of the descendants of French nobility who enslaved the native English population in 1066?"
and of course need be reminded, We don’t really need to go through all of the gory details, do we? We know all too well the atrocities of the African slave trade.

But, are we talking about African slavery? King James II and Charles I also led a continued effort to enslave the Irish. Britain’s famed Oliver Cromwell furthered this practice of dehumanizing one’s next door neighbor.

The Irish slave trade began when James II sold 30,000 Irish prisoners as slaves to the New World. His Proclamation of 1625 required Irish political prisoners be sent overseas and sold to English settlers in the West Indies. By the mid 1600s, the Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat. At that time, 70% of the total population of Montserrat were Irish slaves.

Ireland quickly became the biggest source of human livestock for English merchants. The majority of the early slaves to the New World were actually white.

From 1641 to 1652, over 500,000 Irish were killed by the English and another 300,000 were sold as slaves. Ireland’s population fell from about 1,500,000 to 600,000 in one single decade. Families were ripped apart as the British did not allow Irish dads to take their wives and children with them across the Atlantic. This led to a helpless population of homeless women and children. Britain’s solution was to auction them off as well.

During the 1650s, over 100,000 Irish children between the ages of 10 and 14 were taken from their parents and sold as slaves in the West Indies, Virginia and New England. In this decade, 52,000 Irish (mostly women and children) were sold to Barbados and Virginia. Another 30,000 Irish men and women were also transported and sold to the highest bidder. In 1656, Cromwell ordered that 2000 Irish children be taken to Jamaica and sold as slaves to English settlers.

Many people today will avoid calling the Irish slaves what they truly were: Slaves. They’ll come up with terms like “Indentured Servants” to describe what occurred to the Irish. However, in most cases from the 17th and 18th centuries, Irish slaves were nothing more than human cattle.

As an example, the African slave trade was just beginning during this same period. It is well recorded that African slaves, not tainted with the stain of the hated Catholic theology and more expensive to purchase, were often treated far better than their Irish counterparts.

The oldest person in the world is 117. Therefore 118 years ago there was an entirely different set of humans on the planet. Nobody can take credit for their good things or take the blame for their bad things.

By *r Man.Man  over a year ago

London

I hear what your saying, and all is very true.

When the Irish slaves were sent to the West Indies, they weren't seen as slaves or treated as slaves, but were and became a sub culture, who were even lower than the African slaves.

As a superior race the slave masters couldn't afford to have their African slaves witnessing whites been bought and sold. So when the Irish slaves went to the Caribbean, they became a worthless commodity.

Not known to a lot of people there are a little pocket of decedents' of the Irish slaves living in the north East of Barbados.

Yes that's right, the millionaires playground of Barbados, which I've seen with my own eyes.

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

A most disturbing programme!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I saved the programme for tonight.

I'm hoping it's not viewed as an isolated 'only' incidence of man's inhumanity to man.

Thanks to those that presented alternative times and places with different victims for a more balanced view.

One problem with recent and partial history is how people create the identity they want through their total immersion or rejection of what they are told - rather than focusing on their true identity formed by their life experiences in very recent times.

I recall being stunned the first time I heard about Turks and Arab pirates plundering the South coast of England and emptying villages of people to sell as slaves or hold for ransom. For so long i'd been led to believe that only black people were made slaves and that white people did it. It really helps to open up the panorama and take in as wide a view as possible.

A further problem with the past through the eyes and mind of the present is that it WASN'T atrocious then. It was the done thing. It became uneccessary, unfashionable, immoral , unprofitable. Some people crow that we've changed. Maybe circumstances changed; maybe practises changed but hearts and minds?

I'm very interested in whether we have learned anything from our past.

Would we be better off obliterating history and starting afresh with modern minds and ways of thinking and behaving ?

I have a suspicion that humans haven't changed that much. Given a change of circumstances, given a place where an us or them situation arises. Would similar events happen all over again?

"...

Would we be better off obliterating history and starting afresh with modern minds and ways of thinking and behaving ?

I have a suspicion that humans haven't changed that much. Given a change of circumstances, given a place where an us or them situation arises. Would similar events happen all over again?

"

It is already.

in Lancashire

"...

It is already. "

this..

post WW2 and the institutions set up to try and ensure it wouldn't happen again sadly it has and will again..

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

There are tens of millions of people trapped in various forms of slavery throughout the world today. Researchers estimate that 21 to 36 million are enslaved worldwide, generating $150 billion each year in illicit profits for traffickers.

Mauritania, in north Africa, has the highest per capital population of slaves is about 5%

Around the world

• An estimated 27 million people, spread across countries such as Nigeria, Indonesia, and Brazil, live in conditions of forced bondage.

• Every year at least 700,000 people are trafficked across borders and into slavery.

• About 300,000 children serve as child soldiers in 30 armed conflicts worldwide. Many female child soldiers are also forced into sexual slavery.

• In 1809, the average price of a slave in the southern US states was $40,000 (£25,500), in today's money. In 2009, the average price of a slave was $90.

• At least 2,600 women are working as prostitutes in England and Wales having been trafficked from abroad

Sources: US state department; International Organization for Migration; Unicef; Kevin Bales; 2010 police report

» Add a new message to this topic