FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > BBC License fee, you will pay, no option

BBC License fee, you will pay, no option

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Stuck this on the Scotland forum, just curious of all views here too

I can live without the BBC and would prefer to have a choice on whether I pay up £145.50 per year to keep the BBC fat cats living in luxury

I do not need the TV programs or the Radio, I can afford the fee, but an option of paying would be polite rather than a demand and becoming a criminal for not paying.

Seems this is simply a hidden poll tax that you have no option or freedom of choice but to pay

and due to that I simply object

can you live without the BBC or so you simply do as your told and pay your fee's?

a polite option would be courtesy

?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Haven't paid since i moved into my own home, and when i was living with someone else they paid it. I don't watch live TV so don't pay for it.

There's no law that forces you to pay it at all.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Personally, I think the news, Radio 4 and the website are worth the license fee alone.

I have only recently started to watch television after a break of over 20 years. It is my partner's choice not mine. During the break i listened a lot to Radio 4 and often felt guilty that i paid nothing towards the cost of running the BBC. I didnt watch non live television either.

I dont know if it still is the case but it certainly used to be the case where a 1,000 bed hotel only needed one licence. I dare say that there are loopholes to be closed

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

[Removed by poster at 15/07/15 11:43:44]

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Haven't paid since i moved into my own home, and when i was living with someone else they paid it. I don't watch live TV so don't pay for it.

There's no law that forces you to pay it at all."

i could be wrong but i think they're going to amend the legislation to include 'catch up' so if you have a box then that could mean they get ya..

Halesowen

I like the BBC, for all its faults, and think it would be a shame to lose the only public interest broadcaster, largely free of commercial, financial and political influences. They make some great programmes and deliver excellent radio.

So I always pay my licence, though I'd be happier with a pay per view - one off modest fee for a decoder, and an account that gets debited as I watch, or something similar.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Personally, I think the news, Radio 4 and the website are worth the license fee alone.

"

this and 6 music, 5 live

"Haven't paid since i moved into my own home, and when i was living with someone else they paid it. I don't watch live TV so don't pay for it.

i could be wrong but i think they're going to amend the legislation to include 'catch up' so if you have a box then that could mean they get ya.."

They have to prove that you're watching live TV before they can even go ask a judge for a warrant to enter your home.

I'll just stop watching catch up, think i watched like 3 tv series in the past year, and one of those i have on DVD but couldn't be bothered to look for it.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

They should make non-payment of the license fee punishable with jail time. It's that important.

i could be wrong but i think they're going to amend the legislation to include 'catch up' so if you have a box then that could mean they get ya.."

you are correct, catch up will be included and pensioners over 75 will get for free

"They should make non-payment of the license fee punishable with jail time. It's that important."

not according to the conservatives, they intend to make non payment not a crime

I think it's worth it so I would pay it. If someone doesn't watch ANY BBC content then they shouldn't pay. I don't really see why someone who watches it on live TV should pay, where someone who watches it online later, or on Netflix, or just listens to the radio doesn't pay.

I do therefore think the focus for the fee should be changed from the live broadcasting angle to whether you watch actually watch any BBC funded and produced content or use their online content, although how on earth they could determine that, I have no idea.

That the one thing i hate paying for. I have to pay sky to watch tv.and then the bbc. .its time to scrap the liicense fee and set up pay to viw like the rest of them

Perhaps we should let Auntie be subject to market forces and parachute them into the world of advertising as a form of funding.

Looking at the telly listings from last night prime times viewing consisted in the main of reality programmes......................mogodon for the masses!!

Hardly anyone pays a TV licence in Scotland. Here it's called "Highway Robbery" and we have no time for that. It's a brave Inspector that works door to door in Glasgow!

By *abloversCouple  over a year ago

London

They can't force the way into homes and that's why so many don't pay.. they can't prove what you watch on your TV so don't bother paying

"They should make non-payment of the license fee punishable with jail time. It's that important.

not according to the conservatives, they intend to make non payment not a crime"

If they can prove someone is watching, listening to or using BBC content and they don't pay then I think that should be punishable with whatever is in place for using other kinds of media without paying (dodgy decoding boxes, ripping off cable or whatever).

How they'll prove this though is another matter.

"They can't force the way into homes and that's why so many don't pay.. they can't prove what you watch on your TV so don't bother paying "

I hate that attitude. If I'm watching it, I should pay for it.

(If I'm not watching it, that's a different matter).

"Hardly anyone pays a TV licence in Scotland. Here it's called "Highway Robbery" and we have no time for that. It's a brave Inspector that works door to door in Glasgow! "

LOL. Im ex Drumchapel and know what you mean hehe

London

"They can't force the way into homes and that's why so many don't pay.. they can't prove what you watch on your TV so don't bother paying

(If I'm not watching it, that's a different matter). "

You watch it and channel 4 and you don't pay for it?

By *obletonMan  over a year ago

A Home Among The Woodland Creatures

"

I can live without the BBC and would prefer to have a choice on whether I pay up £145.50 per year to keep the BBC fat cats living in luxury

"

Funny how the newpapers never report on the Fatcats at Sky.

Oh wait - the guy who owns Sky also owns the newspapers - no coincidence there I'm sure

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Tv license fee pays for other tv companies to make tv too, not just the BBC. I love BBC tv, as well as radio 4, so it's mainstream for me. I believe it should get the money and not the likes of profiteering sky etc.

Incredible service compared to advert loaded USA channels and crap.

No t.v.

No problem.

"Stuck this on the Scotland forum, just curious of all views here too

I do not need the TV programs or the Radio, I can afford the fee, but an option of paying would be polite rather than a demand and becoming a criminal for not paying.

Seems this is simply a hidden poll tax that you have no option or freedom of choice but to pay

can you live without the BBC or so you simply do as your told and pay your fee's?

?"

Do you feel the same way when you are in a shop? Have you asked a supermarket to give you the option of whether or not you pay?

"They can't force the way into homes and that's why so many don't pay.. they can't prove what you watch on your TV so don't bother paying

You watch it and channel 4 and you don't pay for it?"

But I have to sit through the constant fucking adverts, so yeah I pay for it.

"Tv license fee pays for other tv companies to make tv too, not just the BBC. I love BBC tv, as well as radio 4, so it's mainstream for me. I believe it should get the money and not the likes of profiteering sky etc.

Incredible service compared to advert loaded USA channels and crap."

I'm a firm believer in paying for what you consume. I consume enough BBC content across all their outlets that I'm happy to pay for the pleasure of commercial free edutainment (aside from R1 as it's just shite now) even if the blanket way in which we pay for it seems ridiculous. Having lived in the U.S. trying to explain to the locals that one has to pay for a licence to watch TV always lead to quizzical looks and much mirth! It's a tricky one, I cant see the current situation changing soon and will continue to see the direct debit go every month with a wry smile on my face!

London

"

Oh wait - the guy who owns Sky also owns the newspapers - no coincidence there I'm sure "

You get a choice to pay for sky if you want it? The bbc you have to pay for if you have a tv... There lies the difference

Obviously nobody likes paying bills,myself included.

But l find it odd that people complain about paying £145 a year for a TV licence but are then happy to pay £60 and more per month to sky.

For what its worth your not paying for a TV licence to watch BBC programs, your paying to receive a TV signal who ever the signal is from.

"Hardly anyone pays a TV licence in Scotland. Here it's called "Highway Robbery" and we have no time for that. It's a brave Inspector that works door to door in Glasgow!

LOL. Im ex Drumchapel and know what you mean hehe"

A friend of mine in Castlemilk filmed an Inspector at the door while he constantly shouted I'M NOT PAYIN FUR PEEEEDOOOOOSSSSSS in the bammiest accent he could muster. The guy stood for a minte then just left. I don't watch the BBC and i'll be damned if they're taking a penny off me for it.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"

Oh wait - the guy who owns Sky also owns the newspapers - no coincidence there I'm sure

You get a choice to pay for sky if you want it? The bbc you have to pay for if you have a tv... There lies the difference "

No you don't. Owning a TV does not require a TV licence.

Incidentally, nor does listening to the radio, even BBC stations, as some seem to think.

By *etzPlayCouple  over a year ago

Southend

We don't have a license, as we only watch dvds, usually because we're out all the time.

"Obviously nobody likes paying bills,myself included.

But l find it odd that people complain about paying £145 a year for a TV licence but are then happy to pay £60 and more per month to sky.

For what its worth your not paying for a TV licence to watch BBC programs, your paying to receive a TV signal who ever the signal is from."

Yes but i CHOOSE to pay for SKY. The BBC say if you have a TV you HAVE to pay for them.

"

You get a choice to pay for sky if you want it? The bbc you have to pay for if you have a tv... There lies the difference

Incidentally, nor does listening to the radio, even BBC stations, as some seem to think."

It doesn't at the moment, I think it should though. You consume the content, you should pay for it.

For what its worth your not paying for a TV licence to watch BBC programs, your paying to receive a TV signal who ever the signal is from."

I have Sky. It costs me nothing even close to £60 per month!

You only have to pay it if you watch LIVE TV... I don't pay it as I don't

By *aneandpaulCouple  over a year ago

cleveleys

Should have tv with out the bbc on simple

"

Incidentally, nor does listening to the radio, even BBC stations, as some seem to think.

It doesn't at the moment, I think it should though. You consume the content, you should pay for it. "

It used to. It changed.

I don't think owning a TV should require a licence. It's possible to use a TV only for DVDs and games consoles. Some people do.

"No t.v.

No problem."

When i was without a television i was harrassed often by the BBC. All i wanted was for them to visit me and inspect the premises for themselves. They didnt but just kept sending letters so i binned them. I think the figure is 2% of the population doesnt watch television

London

You watch it and channel 4 and you don't pay for it?

But I have to sit through the constant fucking adverts, so yeah I pay for it.

"

Good for you x

London

Sky is worth the money for my football obessesion

How stupid am I !!! And I thought BBC stood for bad boys club......... doh

"

It doesn't at the moment, I think it should though. You consume the content, you should pay for it.

It used to. It changed.

I don't think owning a TV should require a licence. It's possible to use a TV only for DVDs and games consoles. Some people do."

I have 3 TVs, i don't have to buy a license at all. Every time i buy a TV the licensing people send me letters about it and i ignore them.

They have to prove you are watching live TV to a court judge who can then grant them access to your home via a warrant for them to confirm that you are watching live TV. Then they can prosecute you.

I'm surprised anyone who even does watch TV would buy a license coz it's hard for them to prove you're watching live TV....their detector vans detect nothing that can prove it either. You're all paying for something based on lies and myths.

If you have sky and that then that could be good enough proof. I have free virginmedia TV here but no box to receive their programmes coz we don't want them, just wanted the internet but had to buy a whole package of crap to get it.

By *ornyharry39Man  over a year ago

Sheffield

Boycott the bbc protecting peados not good

"

It used to. It changed.

I don't think owning a TV should require a licence. It's possible to use a TV only for DVDs and games consoles. Some people do.

I have 3 TVs, i don't have to buy a license at all. Every time i buy a TV the licensing people send me letters about it and i ignore them.

They have to prove you are watching live TV to a court judge who can then grant them access to your home via a warrant for them to confirm that you are watching live TV. Then they can prosecute you.

I'm surprised anyone who even does watch TV would buy a license coz it's hard for them to prove you're watching live TV....their detector vans detect nothing that can prove it either. You're all paying for something based on lies and myths."

If I didn't pay, I'd be not paying based on theft. Because I do watch it.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

The number of people posting here who think simply BBC=TV is astounding.

Aside from the spectacularly wide cultural importance of the organisation across all art forms in the UK, someone posted this link the other day. It's about the BBC's R&D department. Well worth reading, if reading is your thing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd

"

It used to. It changed.

I'm surprised anyone who even does watch TV would buy a license coz it's hard for them to prove you're watching live TV....their detector vans detect nothing that can prove it either. You're all paying for something based on lies and myths.

If I didn't pay, I'd be not paying based on theft. Because I do watch it. "

Yeah i didn't mean steal anything but i'm saying based on how they prove you're watching TV i'm surprised anyone does pay it. This is why there's so much lies surrounding who has to get a TV, the adverts promoted them so that people would pay it instead of putting the burden on the BBC/TV licensing people to prove that you're watching live TV.

By *isdirtygirlCouple  over a year ago

somewhere out there

"If you have sky and that then that could be good enough proof. I have free virginmedia TV here but no box to receive their programmes coz we don't want them, just wanted the internet but had to buy a whole package of crap to get it."

Not sure why you had to take TV to get internet? I pay 30 quid a month for my internet only contract with VM.

somewhere out there

"I think it's worth it so I would pay it. If someone doesn't watch ANY BBC content then they shouldn't pay. I don't really see why someone who watches it on live TV should pay, where someone who watches it online later, or on Netflix, or just listens to the radio doesn't pay.

I do therefore think the focus for the fee should be changed from the live broadcasting angle to whether you watch actually watch any BBC funded and produced content or use their online content, although how on earth they could determine that, I have no idea. "

If you watch something on Netflix you are paying the BBC - even if indirectly - through your subscription fees.

By *i-4-2Man  over a year ago

Stratford

The BBC is brilliant and worth every penny. I find it hard to believe that many people never watch, hear or see anything from the BBC on TV radio or computer. A few perhaps, but not ,many.

Compared to Sky, the BBC make so much new material. It's only recently that Sky started investing in programming other than sport and news, and their news is pretty attrocious though Channel 4 probably have the best news on TV these days.

The independent terrestrial companies

are happier with the status quo than they acknowledge. The advertising pie is only so big, and the BBC as one of the BIGGER networks would pull in a lot of money if it took advertising, but probably not enough, so you'd see the quality of the BBC go down further, while also taking down ITV, Channel 4 and C5 as it 'steals' their money. Then there's the others on freeview who nearly all get a pittance from advertisers. Look at the charies and ppi claims advertised on daytime TV. Just awful. So we get repeats... It becomes a downward spiral.

Watch what will happen to Sky if the BBC diminishes further. If the licence fee goes, the Sky fee will go up. You can bet on that.

I think the license fee is out of date and should be abolished. Let the BBC find ways of raising their own money.

Why should I have to pay to fund an organisation that produces a lot of programs that I do not watch, just because I have a television?

Let's give the TV license it's proper name. It is a Tax!

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

Its a government tax on Watching moving images rather than a 'subscription fee' in the style of Sky etc.

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

Yes exactly That along with the fact the tv licence has not gone up for a couple of years in price, without looking I,m not sure if that change,s this year or next.

I find it hilarious that most of the sky channels come with adverts too. Are people happy paying for that too?

"If you have sky and that then that could be good enough proof. I have free virginmedia TV here but no box to receive their programmes coz we don't want them, just wanted the internet but had to buy a whole package of crap to get it.

Not sure why you had to take TV to get internet? I pay 30 quid a month for my internet only contract with VM. "

I had to have a landline as well, which i also never use and the TV came free with the landline.

Although i was on a different internet when i chose the package and have got the faster internet with a different cable now so will look into getting a cheaper package maybe. This package i have now is cheaper than what you're paying.

Halesowen

But back to the OP's question - there is an opt out - if you agree not to watch any BBC content, you just say so and don't pay the licence - you effectively opt in to paying the licence.

"

Yeah i didn't mean steal anything but i'm saying based on how they prove you're watching TV i'm surprised anyone does pay it. This is why there's so much lies surrounding who has to get a TV, the adverts promoted them so that people would pay it instead of putting the burden on the BBC/TV licensing people to prove that you're watching live TV."

It is all there on wiki. The first port of call is a visit at which the inspector will try to get you to admit it or to gain access to your property (many people don't seem to realise that they can refuse). There are several types of detector equipment that are used, too, though the exact technology used is shrouded in secrecy. They claim that they can usually identify the room containing a TV in use. This may account for the fact that they rarely apply for a warrant to enter a property.

By the way, for those who have said that they receive live TV but do not pay, the BBC do monitor the internet regularly for such discussions. Just saying.

"

Yeah i didn't mean steal anything but i'm saying based on how they prove you're watching TV i'm surprised anyone does pay it. This is why there's so much lies surrounding who has to get a TV, the adverts promoted them so that people would pay it instead of putting the burden on the BBC/TV licensing people to prove that you're watching live TV.

It is all there on wiki. The first port of call is a visit at which the inspector will try to get you to admit it or to gain access to your property (many people don't seem to realise that they can refuse). There are several types of detector equipment that are used, too, though the exact technology used is shrouded in secrecy. They claim that they can usually identify the room containing a TV in use. This may account for the fact that they rarely apply for a warrant to enter a property.

By the way, for those who have said that they receive live TV but do not pay, the BBC do monitor the internet regularly for such discussions. Just saying."

17 years ago i wrote to the licensing place and asked why they don't shove their programmes through boxes like cable do so that no-one could steal their TV. They've done nothing to stop anyone stealing it really.

somewhere out there

"But back to the OP's question - there is an opt out - if you agree not to watch any BBC content, you just say so and don't pay the licence - you effectively opt in to paying the licence."

No you can't. If you read the BBC policy it allows you to opt out if you do not intend to use your tv to watch or record any live broadcasts. If you only watch catch up or on demand services you do not need a licence. There is no provision for opting out of watching bbc content.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Personally, I think the news, Radio 4 and the website are worth the license fee alone.

this and 6 music, 5 live "

add to that the natural history unit.... because it is publically funded they can do and take a risk on programming that commercial tv providers wouldn't take because in effect they would be loss leaders....

the childrens tv unit is world leading as well.....

By *ighland_RoseCouple  over a year ago

Brigadoon

So what if you don't get a signal because due to the geography where you live and the only way to watch tv is to pay for another service like Sky. You are then expected to pay twice.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"They should make non-payment of the license fee punishable with jail time. It's that important.

not according to the conservatives, they intend to make non payment not a crime"

not quite... and a statement like this is misleading...

what is being proposed it to turn non-payment from a criminal offence to a civil offence..... the fines will remain, the threat for jail time for it will be taken away....

for example.... driving without an mot is actually a civil offence, not a criminal one....

"

So what if you don't get a signal because due to the geography where you live and the only way to watch tv is to pay for another service like Sky. You are then expected to pay twice."

Well if you can receive sky you can receive freesat, free to view, one off cost to get.

what is being proposed it to turn non-payment from a criminal offence to a civil offence..... the fines will remain, the threat for jail time for it will be taken away....

for example.... driving without an mot is actually a civil offence, not a criminal one...."

Off point, I know, but driving without an MOT (except in very limited circumstances) is a criminal offence.

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

for example.... driving without an mot is actually a civil offence, not a criminal one....

Off point, I know, but driving without an MOT (except in very limited circumstances) is a criminal offence."

And can invalidate your insurance. That's BAD.

As for TV detector equipment and such claims that they can even pinpoint which room the TV is in - Utter Rubbish.

This is a myth propagated by the BBC et al into scaring people into paying their license fee.

What used to happen was that the enforcers (or whatever you want to call them) would call at homes that were unlicensed and essentially bullshit residents, on the assumption that everyone watches TV and so any home without a license must be doing so illegally.

That is how the TV detector technology worked.

Obviously, they would come a cropper if they called on any home that didn't even own a TV, but, probabilities, law of averages etc, meant that it was probably a chance worth taking.

"As for TV detector equipment and such claims that they can even pinpoint which room the TV is in - Utter Rubbish.

This is a myth propagated by the BBC et al into scaring people into paying their license fee.

What used to happen was that the enforcers (or whatever you want to call them) would call at homes that were unlicensed and essentially bullshit residents, on the assumption that everyone watches TV and so any home without a license must be doing so illegally.

That is how the TV detector technology worked.

Obviously, they would come a cropper if they called on any home that didn't even own a TV, but, probabilities, law of averages etc, meant that it was probably a chance worth taking."

Hence the secrecy about their detection method. It bollocks, in scientific terms.

"No t.v.

No problem.

When i was without a television i was harrassed often by the BBC. All i wanted was for them to visit me and inspect the premises for themselves. They didnt but just kept sending letters so i binned them. I think the figure is 2% of the population doesnt watch television"

Never heard a peep off them when I did have one, never heard a peep since I got rid of it.....perhaps I'm just lucky.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

?"

Its amazing value for money

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Having seen what Channel 5 and ITV offer up, I'm totally happy to pay for the BBC.

A guy I used to work with, refused to pay his TV licence based that BBC was in breach of it's Royal Charter status by receiving funds from the EU.

He had threatening letters that he had to pay and would reply with a pre typed letter pointing out what I mentioned above and never heard from them again.

Not sure he was just lucky or they got fed up with his awkwardness lol.

Anyone else heard/know about this?

By *uyfromchiMan  over a year ago

CHICHESTER

Its a bargain £2.80 per week for what u get from the bbc

"I hate that attitude. If I'm watching it, I should pay for it.

(If I'm not watching it, that's a different matter). "

That quote made me think

why not watch it whether you pay for it or not

If you don't want it, and don't pay for it, yet they still supply it, then fool on them,

BBC your getting no money but hey ho, if you still want to supply it, carry on lol

"Having seen what Channel 5 and ITV offer up, I'm totally happy to pay for the BBC. "

whether you are happy or not

YOU and many others like you, will still pay for it

YOU do not have a choice or a say in the matter

"I hate that attitude. If I'm watching it, I should pay for it.

That quote made me think

why not watch it whether you pay for it or not

If you don't want it, and don't pay for it, yet they still supply it, then fool on them,

BBC your getting no money but hey ho, if you still want to supply it, carry on lol"

Because you don't get anything in life for free and I'm not a thief. Happy to be considered a fool, but I do use it and watch it, so I'll pay for it.

"A guy I used to work with, refused to pay his TV licence based that BBC was in breach of it's Royal Charter status by receiving funds from the EU.

He had threatening letters that he had to pay and would reply with a pre typed letter pointing out what I mentioned above and never heard from them again.

Not sure he was just lucky or they got fed up with his awkwardness lol.

Anyone else heard/know about this?

"

interesting, you have more info on this

"Having seen what Channel 5 and ITV offer up, I'm totally happy to pay for the BBC.

whether you are happy or not

YOU and many others like you, will still pay for it

YOU do not have a choice or a say in the matter"

Of course we have a choice.

We can choose to watch live tv and pay, we can choose not to watch live tv and not pay or we can break the law and hope we get away with it.

I'm ok with those choices, partly because I don't think £12/month is high up on the list of things I need to be stressing about. Particularly since I can choose not to pay if I want.

Fair comment, but in many ways you're kinda missing the real point- when you pay the license fee you're really paying NOT to see those bastard adverts.

Though of course the bbc advertises itself all the time, not to mention the plugs from talking heads. Still, you do get films and hour long programmes without interruptions.

I think there's an argument to be made that the BBC should be bound, by law, to invest in a certain amount of investigative reporting and documentaries each year... as well as developing a wing investing in homegrown film making. Then it would be more of a public service. As it is... it has just descended into the same shit that's on all the other channels. We haven't watched live TV for years and have also slowly stopped watching catch up just simply because there's nothing worth watching. Every time we stay with a friend and the TV goes on we're always amazed at what utter tosh is on offer... including on the BBC.

There's also an implicit atheist materialist right wing message which permeates BBC programming and which I don't believe is either representative of most Britons views nor of any middle of the road viewpoint. Radio 4 never fails to astound me with the levels of boredom it is happy to mine. Its archetypal program would be on a meeting discussing the mopping of hospital floors in order to meet budgetry requirements whilst navigating the problem of some people's inconvenient religious views that stop them from mopping up properly... y a w n

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

How many patents did tv licensing detection ever lodge? I'm guessing in all the decades that it's none.

Happy license fee payer here, except I think the BBC should get all the money.

"interesting, you have more info on this"

Well not a great deal, as I said it was a guy I worked with (and it really was lol).

But I believe from what he said, BBC has a Royal Charter. Parts of the conditions/rules are that they are to work independently and impartially, not promote political/propaganda or be influenced in such ways.

Yet the BBC has received funding from EU/Brussels which is a political body. So I suppose he was arguing that there in breach in these terms under the Royal Charter.

Didn't remember he did this until I read theses posts about BBC rights and wrongs lol.

People for get. If have a radio in the car you need tv licence. If you watch sky tv you need a licence to. Even if have virgin tv you need a licence. Even radio on you mobile phone you got to have a bbc licence. That why i hate paying it .bbc just a rip of to make them rich.?

"People for get. If have a radio in the car you need tv licence. If you watch sky tv you need a licence to. Even if have virgin tv you need a licence. Even radio on you mobile phone you got to have a bbc licence. That why i hate paying it .bbc just a rip of to make them rich.?"

No you do not. Look it up.

"People for get. If have a radio in the car you need tv licence. If you watch sky tv you need a licence to. Even if have virgin tv you need a licence. Even radio on you mobile phone you got to have a bbc licence. That why i hate paying it .bbc just a rip of to make them rich.?"

Rubbish.

You do not need a license to have, or even listen to, a radio.

You need a license to watch live tv, as it is broadcast, whether or not you watch a BBC channels. That's it.

"interesting, you have more info on this

Well not a great deal, as I said it was a guy I worked with (and it really was lol).

But I believe from what he said, BBC has a Royal Charter. Parts of the conditions/rules are that they are to work independently and impartially, not promote political/propaganda or be influenced in such ways.

Yet the BBC has received funding from EU/Brussels which is a political body. So I suppose he was arguing that there in breach in these terms under the Royal Charter.

Didn't remember he did this until I read theses posts about BBC rights and wrongs lol.

"

appreciated, will look into this more

You do.check it out

"You do.check it out"

No you don't. YOU check it out.

The licence needed to listen to radio was abolished in 1971!

You're way out of date.

We had a TV licence inspector pay us the obligatory visit a few months back and literally the only criteria was "do you watch live TV?". All this talk about radios is rubbish.

I see the parasites are out in full force.

derby

I don,t know what to believe here, its such a mixed picture of views..

From the official site itself:

When don’t I need a TV Licence?

If you never watch or record live TV, you don’t need a TV Licence.

Without a licence you can only:

Watch on demand – including catch-up TV and on demand previews – through services like BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5, BT Vision, Virgin Media, Sky Go, Now TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Amazon Fire TV.

Watch on demand movies from providers like Sky, Virgin Media, BT Vision, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.

Watch recorded films and programmes either from a disc (e.g. DVD or Blu-ray) or downloaded from the internet.

Watch on demand internet video clips through services like YouTube.

Play video games.

Note, if you are a landlord and you install a TV to allow your tenants to receive live TV, that address needs to be covered by a TV Licence.

Live TV means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it’s being shown on TV or an online TV service.

If you only ever watch on demand programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on live TV.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"From the official site itself:

Watch on demand – including catch-up TV and on demand previews – through services like BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5, BT Vision, Virgin Media, Sky Go, Now TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Amazon Fire TV.

Watch on demand movies from providers like Sky, Virgin Media, BT Vision, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.

Watch recorded films and programmes either from a disc (e.g. DVD or Blu-ray) or downloaded from the internet.

Play video games.

Note, if you are a landlord and you install a TV to allow your tenants to receive live TV, that address needs to be covered by a TV Licence.

Live TV means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it’s being shown on TV or an online TV service.

If you only ever watch on demand programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on live TV.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8"

I do feel that if there is the option to not have a license, and adhere to the conditions above, then those households should remove all equipment capable of receiving live TV.

derby

what about haveing a radio... ?

here

"what about haveing a radio... ?"

You don't need a TV license to listen to live radio

Play video games.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8

I do feel that if there is the option to not have a license, and adhere to the conditions above, then those households should remove all equipment capable of receiving live TV."

We use our TV for watchng DVDs on, and my son uses his for his playstation and youtube. They aren't tuned into anything, never had an aerial to tune them in with so we're ok if anyone ever did come check them out. Not gonna make it easy for them, the onus is on them to change how they do things and stop treating everyone like they watch TV when they don't, and to stop making it easy for people to steal their TV if they want to.

here

Play video games.

I do feel that if there is the option to not have a license, and adhere to the conditions above, then those households should remove all equipment capable of receiving live TV.

We use our TV for watchng DVDs on, and my son uses his for his playstation and youtube. They aren't tuned into anything, never had an aerial to tune them in with so we're ok if anyone ever did come check them out. Not gonna make it easy for them, the onus is on them to change how they do things and stop treating everyone like they watch TV when they don't, and to stop making it easy for people to steal their TV if they want to. "

But as such they are still capable of receiving live TV - regardless of whether or not you say you do or don't watch the channels.

The devices you mentioned only require a display - and does not have to be a TV capable of receiving live TV

By *icked weaselCouple  over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

The BBC are So Corrupt..

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The TV License is also used to pay for the broadcast infrastructure. Without the TV license there would be no FreeView or FM/DAB radio

"When don’t I need a TV Licence?

But as such they are still capable of receiving live TV - regardless of whether or not you say you do or don't watch the channels.

The devices you mentioned only require a display - and does not have to be a TV capable of receiving live TV

"

Never been hooked up to an aerial to tune them in so they are not capable of receiving anything live at this time. I'd have to tune them in first to get anything.

We are moaning about the BBC making the TV licence, wait till we get road pricing, now that will cause uproar, thats if the masses ever cotton on to the fact that its being implemented by stealth

here

Never been hooked up to an aerial to tune them in so they are not capable of receiving anything live at this time. I'd have to tune them in first to get anything."

Regardless of whether you hook up the equipment to an aerial, it still has the capability of receiving live TV.

if you dont watch tv why buy a tv ? its not rocket science

It's about time the law was changed.

All those letters from the BBC licencing bods, threatening and attempting t extort money, should become a crminal offence , commiteed by the persons involved, ie letter sender,inspector, when it is proven that the victim is properly licensed, ie doesn't need one.

If ever an inspector calls here, i'm gonna pleasantly invite them in and promptly lock the door. Let them inspect every nook and cranny, the loft, the airing cupboard , everywhere.

Then let them sit there for ever until they see me, us, watch any live broadcast. Only when they've had enough can they pay the fee to be let out.

here

"

All those letters from the BBC licencing bods, threatening and attempting t extort money, should become a crminal offence , commiteed by the persons involved, ie letter sender,inspector, when it is proven that the victim is properly licensed, ie doesn't need one.

If ever an inspector calls here, i'm gonna pleasantly invite them in and promptly lock the door. Let them inspect every nook and cranny, the loft, the airing cupboard , everywhere.

Then let them sit there for ever until they see me, us, watch any live broadcast. Only when they've had enough can they pay the fee to be let out.

"

So you don't need a TV then.

"We are moaning about the BBC making the TV licence, wait till we get road pricing, now that will cause uproar, thats if the masses ever cotton on to the fact that its being implemented by stealth "

Hardly by stealth. The amount of consultation required for the public enquiry to introduce or significantly change a tolling regime anywhere in this country is quite extensive.

Money from the TV licence also funds s4c the welsh channel and my daughter watches the welsh kids programmes. I also love strictly come dancing so I have to pay the licence.

Lol I love it

QI, radio 4, the infinite monkey cage, episodes et al make it better value than Sky, BT and virgin combined.

"

"

Illogical conclusion you reach there matey. A licence is only required when watching or recording any live broadcast. He/she can wait.

Hell, i'll even put Radio 2 on for them.

Never been hooked up to an aerial to tune them in so they are not capable of receiving anything live at this time. I'd have to tune them in first to get anything.

Regardless of whether you hook up the equipment to an aerial, it still has the capability of receiving live TV.

"

Needs an aerial to receive it though. So it hasn't got all the equipment needed to recieve anything.

here

"

Illogical conclusion you reach there matey. A licence is only required when watching or recording any live broadcast. He/she can wait.

"

You are attempting to show you don't watch live TV by making an inspector sit and monitor you not watching live TV!!!

So why do you have the TV in the first place?

"I think it's worth it so I would pay it. If someone doesn't watch ANY BBC content then they shouldn't pay. I don't really see why someone who watches it on live TV should pay, where someone who watches it online later, or on Netflix, or just listens to the radio doesn't pay.

I do therefore think the focus for the fee should be changed from the live broadcasting angle to whether you watch actually watch any BBC funded and produced content or use their online content, although how on earth they could determine that, I have no idea. "

one because the license fee doesn't just go to the BBC it goes to itv channel 4 etc too

two because if your watching live TV your using technology developed and funded by the bbc

"

You are attempting to show you don't watch live TV by making an inspector sit and monitor you not watching live TV!!!

"

Precisely.

Sega master system games are shite without the images.

"if you dont watch tv why buy a tv ? its not rocket science "

I like to watch my DVDs in big screen and not on 17" laptop screen.

here

"

Precisely.

Sega master system games are shite without the images. "

You don't need a TV to see the images

"

"

You realise they just turn on the telly and see if it can receive broadcasts.

If it can you're liable for the license.

If it can't (no aerial and detuned) then they go "right thanks byw

As a comparison, how many folks have had Microsoft, Adobe or whoever keep sending letters and wishing to visti and inspect to check they're not using unlicensed software.

Speaking of which, time to perve.

"

Precisely.

You don't need a TV to see the images"

Tvs tend to be cheaper than comparable sized monitors due to scales of production and the distance they are aimed at being viewed from.

"

Precisely.

You don't need a TV to see the images"

What? What do i do then, look down the 2mm output cable?

here

"

Precisely.

What? What do i do then, look down the 2mm output cable? "

Monitor - No TV tuner/module

Plus, when some twats in their wisdom shut down analogue TV (just so the greedy cunts could sell the spectrum, again) what is one supposed to do with an old Tele?

Plus, isn't it about time the BBC gave us a part refund for every bit of pixellation their broadcasts contain, pro rata to the total of course.

"if you dont watch tv why buy a tv ? its not rocket science

I like to watch my DVDs in big screen and not on 17" laptop screen. "

buy a monitor then ... if you install sky and dont watch it would you not have to pay ? of coarse you would if you have it you pay for it whether you watch it or not theirs no reason you need a tv with a built in tv receiver to watch dvs

[Removed by poster at 15/07/15 23:08:34]

"

Plus, when some twats in their wisdom shut down analogue TV (just so the greedy cunts could sell the spectrum, again) what is one supposed to do with an old Tele?

Plus, isn't it about time the BBC gave us a part refund for every bit of pixellation their broadcasts contain, pro rata to the total of course.

"

We might get brain damage caused by their broadcasting waves that intrude into our homes without our permission. Someone should look into this.

buy a monitor then ... if you install sky and dont watch it would you not have to pay ? of coarse you would if you have it you pay for it whether you watch it or not theirs no reason you need a tv with a built in tv receiver to watch dvs

Don't need a monitor i got a TV already thanks and it works. £180 quid for a 47" screen from comet. Nice TV if i do say so myself. "

well get your licence paid and stop your moaning

buy a monitor then ... if you install sky and dont watch it would you not have to pay ? of coarse you would if you have it you pay for it whether you watch it or not theirs no reason you need a tv with a built in tv receiver to watch dvs "

Don't need a monitor i got a TV already thanks and it works. £180 quid for a 47" screen from comet. Nice TV if i do say so myself.

And there is nothing installed on this TV, just a DVD player hooked up to it, when the kids don't nick it for the TV in their room or the TV downstairs. Tv licensing know all about my TVs too.

One thing though. How come the TV licensing don't know my name but do know i've bought TVs? I know how they got the info about my TVs, just seems weird they don't know my name.

here

"One thing though. How come the TV licensing don't know my name but do know i've bought TVs? I know how they got the info about my TVs, just seems weird they don't know my name."

Probably thank Comet for that

"One thing though. How come the TV licensing don't know my name but do know i've bought TVs? I know how they got the info about my TVs, just seems weird they don't know my name."

did you give a false name when you bought your tvs ?

"One thing though. How come the TV licensing don't know my name but do know i've bought TVs? I know how they got the info about my TVs, just seems weird they don't know my name.

did you give a false name when you bought your tvs ? "

No coz i needed to give the correct details for insurance purposes. They mustn't be allowed to give out your name, only the address. I'm gonna look into why tomorrow...

"One thing though. How come the TV licensing don't know my name but do know i've bought TVs? I know how they got the info about my TVs, just seems weird they don't know my name.

Probably thank Comet for that"

My ex bought a DVD player and Argos told the TV licensing about it. They sent him a letter asking him to get a TV license lol, for a DVD player (it didn't record). And he already had a TV license, dunno what happens sometimes...

No coz i needed to give the correct details for insurance purposes. They mustn't be allowed to give out your name, only the address. I'm gonna look into why tomorrow..."

do you want them to get your name ?

here

No coz i needed to give the correct details for insurance purposes. They mustn't be allowed to give out your name, only the address. I'm gonna look into why tomorrow..."

postcode and house number is the requirement to be passed on when a TV is sold... But that could be old info

No coz i needed to give the correct details for insurance purposes. They mustn't be allowed to give out your name, only the address. I'm gonna look into why tomorrow...

do you want them to get your name ? "

Just wondering why nobody gave it out and why they haven't managed to get a hold of it. I think about privacy and personal info sometimes, that's all. Going to sleep in a minute as well, really tired.

postcode and house number is the requirement to be passed on when a TV is sold... But that could be old info"

ok thanks. gonna stop thinking now and switch off completely. night.

do you want them to get your name ?

Just wondering why nobody gave it out and why they haven't managed to get a hold of it. I think about privacy and personal info sometimes, that's all. Going to sleep in a minute as well, really tired."

think yourself luck i pay my licence and all my mates give my name lol

By *obletonMan  over a year ago

A Home Among The Woodland Creatures

For what its worth your not paying for a TV licence to watch BBC programs, your paying to receive a TV signal who ever the signal is from.

Yes but i CHOOSE to pay for SKY. The BBC say if you have a TV you HAVE to pay for them. "

Actually the BBC doesn't say that - not even close.

The GOVERNMENT says if you watch television programs as they are broadcast, then you are liable to pay a TV licence.

But that's not the point I was making.

Surely its only smart tvs that can be deemed as capable of receiving broadcasts? As with no freeview/sky/etc normal tvs don't receive any broadcasts anymore.

My tv licence expired a few years ago, id forgotten about changing it from exs name to mine. I got a £150 through court fine for 3 days without a tv licence. Stupid me let the inspector into property, as I didn't want a scene in front of my son who was leaving with his grandparents for the night.

I've recently cancelled sky and bought a firestick. Best idea I've had. Thrown away the box and relishing not handing over money to a corrupt organisation which has been shown to take on government ideas and politics rather than remain impartial.

"Surely its only smart tvs that can be deemed as capable of receiving broadcasts? As with no freeview/sky/etc normal tvs don't receive any broadcasts anymore.

My tv licence expired a few years ago, id forgotten about changing it from exs name to mine. I got a £150 through court fine for 3 days without a tv licence. Stupid me let the inspector into property, as I didn't want a scene in front of my son who was leaving with his grandparents for the night.

I've recently cancelled sky and bought a firestick. Best idea I've had. Thrown away the box and relishing not handing over money to a corrupt organisation which has been shown to take on government ideas and politics rather than remain impartial. "

only if its the old analogue hd pics up

"Surely its only smart tvs that can be deemed as capable of receiving broadcasts? As with no freeview/sky/etc normal tvs don't receive any broadcasts anymore.

I've recently cancelled sky and bought a firestick. Best idea I've had. Thrown away the box and relishing not handing over money to a corrupt organisation which has been shown to take on government ideas and politics rather than remain impartial.

only if its the old analogue hd pics up "

By *imjohnCouple  over a year ago

Clacton on sea, Essex

You think a TV license is bad try having the website stealth taxes that ATVOD want to slap on any British site that play films/downloads.

The government want to control not just TV viewing but also all UK sites...

By *o-jCouple  over a year ago

Outskirts of Notts

"

And radio 4 extra

?"

Here's a thing, don't watch TV then you will have your life back and you'll be £145.00 better off. To go and do something you'll actually remember!

A television will tell you to buy things you don't need, to tell you that your life is incomplete without them, to work in a job you hate, to pay for a house that's essentially worth nothing to you but the bank, to pay for a car to drive to said job and pay the bank the interest in the things you do not need. Then to help ease the drama of all those little gems the TV feeds us, it then passifies you half asleep on the couch you didn't want. By rewarding you with soap operas. Ahhhhhh! A receipt for the walking dead x just sharing my thoughts xx

. "

Smart TV usually refers to an Internet enabled TV.

Every TV manufactured now had a digital receiver instead of a analogue one so works perfectly fine with modern broadcasts.

"

"

Use a 10 pound digital recover and continue using the old TV?

I think they even gave away vouchers for them during the change

"

Uh this makes no sense as an argument.

I have plenty of things I could use to break the law. Are you saying I should get rid of them, or disable them, in order to prove I don't break the law with them?

Do you have a car capable of exceeding 70mph? Why haven't you had it speed limited or got rid of it?

Do you own any knives over however many inches in length we're not allowed to carry in public? Better get rid of them!

I don't see why a TV licence should be any different.

People are bound to obey the law, not to put themselves in a position in which they are unable to break the law.

I've been in a position where I owned a tv I only watched DVDs on. The house had an aerial which I couldn't remove because it was a rented house. I didn't have a tv licence because I didn't need one. Despite the fact I could receive live tv, I didn't. I don't consider it reasonable to expect me to get rid of a tv I use for a legal purpose just in case I use it for an illegal purpose.

I can't think, off the top of my head, of any other law that works that way, so why should the tv licensing law?

I have plenty of things I could use to break the law. Are you saying I should get rid of them, or disable them, in order to prove I don't break the law with them?

Do you have a car capable of exceeding 70mph? Why haven't you had it speed limited or got rid of it?

Do you own any knives over however many inches in length we're not allowed to carry in public? Better get rid of them!

People are bound to obey the law, not to put themselves in a position in which they are unable to break the law.

I've been in a position where I owned a tv I only watched DVDs on. The house had an aerial which I couldn't remove because it was a rented house. I didn't have a tv licence because I didn't need one. Despite the fact I could receive live tv, I didn't. I don't consider it reasonable to expect me to get rid of a tv I use for a legal purpose just in case I use it for an illegal purpose.

I can't think, off the top of my head, of any other law that works that way, so why should the tv licensing law?"

He's wrong. You can have a TV as long as it's not connected to an arieal and turned in its per freely of to use for games consoles or dvds etc.

If it's hooked up and tuned in you need a license.

The site is clear it's ok to have one that's not for removing love broadcasts

"

Precisely.

What? What do i do then, look down the 2mm output cable?

Monitor - No TV tuner/module "

I already had a TV, which I stopped using to watch TV on but kept to watch DVDs. You honestly expect me, in that situation, to get rid of a perfectly good TV, which wouldn't be worth anything to sell, and spend money on a monitor?

Yeah right. Not going to happen.

I need to comply with the law. I don't, as far as I can see, have to ensure and prove it's not possible for me to be breaking the law. And I definitely don't think it's reasonable to expect me to spend significant amounts of money in order to do that!

Treating people as if I they are guilty until proven innocent, and as if because they could break the law if they chose to, then they must be breaking the law, is simply not acceptable.

I can't think, off the top of my head, of any other law that works that way, so why should the tv licensing law?

He's wrong. You can have a TV as long as it's not connected to an arieal and turned in its per freely of to use for games consoles or dvds etc.

The site is clear it's ok to have one that's not for removing love broadcasts"

I realise that but he's also suggesting that people who don't have a licence should make sure they _can't_ receive a TV signal, even if that means disposing of a perfectly good TV and buying a monitor.

That's just bloody stupid as far as I'm concerned.

Scunthorpe

"

"

Your TV License covers Radio too you know.

Also. Sky, Virgin and BT's TV services are also Live TV, so are a number of the online services (If they are showing at the same time as the transmitted service).

"

Also. Sky, Virgin and BT's TV services are also Live TV, so are a number of the online services (If they are showing at the same time as the transmitted service)."

Oh for goodness sake...

The TV licence has nothing to do with radio.

No licence is needed to listen to radio. The need for a radio licence ended in 1971.

By *aneandpaulCouple  over a year ago

cleveleys

What use is the BBC its lost every thing announced last week they will not have the Olympics next year

Scunthorpe

"

Oh for goodness sake...

No licence is needed to listen to radio. The need for a radio licence ended in 1971."

But it funds the broadcast infrastructure that transmits Radio.

"

Oh for goodness sake...

No licence is needed to listen to radio. The need for a radio licence ended in 1971.

But it funds the broadcast infrastructure that transmits Radio."

Your comment implied that the person you quoted would need a licence in order to put radio 2 on. At least, that's how it reads to me.

Scunthorpe

Ultimately, if people don't want to pay the TV license then a different method will be used to fund the services. Most likely an increase in a different tax.

It would actually make more sense to pay for Media Broadcast services from taxes any way, there would be a huge saving on the cost of administering and enforcing the license.

Scunthorpe

"

But it funds the broadcast infrastructure that transmits Radio.

Your comment implied that the person you quoted would need a licence in order to put radio 2 on. At least, that's how it reads to me."

It did, but only for comedy value..

here

I realise that but he's also suggesting that people who don't have a licence should make sure they _can't_ receive a TV signal, even if that means disposing of a perfectly good TV and buying a monitor.

That's just bloody stupid as far as I'm concerned."

Not so stupid in that it removes/prevents abuse of a system that relies on honesty!

Not so stupid in that it removes/prevents abuse of a system that relies on honesty!"

You may have enough spare cash to dispose of expensive items that suit your needs and replace them with expensive alternatives but I don't.

It's only the honest that would do it anyway, and they will already be abiding by the rules.

So your car is speed limited and you don't own any knives?

As I pointed out, we all have things we can use to break the law, including ourselves. In that respect most laws rely on trust, and punishment if caught breaking them.

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

"

"

I was prosecuted under the old law in the 1970s but was able to show my portable video recorder and monitor could not be used to record or watch live transmission.

I won my case as the engineer sent by the BBC could not show the court how it could receive a TV signal.

My argument was everything receives radio waves, even the desk the judge was sitting at but most things cannot make use of that signal.

If the law was interpreted that everything that received a signal had to be licensed everyone in the UK had to be licences as their bodies were receiving the signals from the day they were born until the day they died.

I could assault someone today, as could anyone on here. We're not all locked up to remove the possibility that we will. That's a system of trust too.

here

Not so stupid in that it removes/prevents abuse of a system that relies on honesty!

You may have enough spare cash to dispose of expensive items that suit your needs and replace them with expensive alternatives but I don't.

It's only the honest that would do it anyway, and they will already be abiding by the rules.

As I pointed out, we all have things we can use to break the law, including ourselves. In that respect most laws rely on trust, and punishment if caught breaking them."

I pay the license fee and so have no need to replace my equipment.

"what about haveing a radio... ?

You don't need a TV license to listen to live radio"

The clue is in the name - TV Licence!

As I pointed out, we all have things we can use to break the law, including ourselves. In that respect most laws rely on trust, and punishment if caught breaking them.

I pay the license fee and so have no need to replace my equipment."

But you'd expect other people to do so? To put them to significant extra expense when they're doing nothing wrong in the first place? What if they don't have a TV licence (and don't watch TV because of it) because they can't afford it? You'd still expect them to buy expensive new equipment that they don't need?

I pay my licence fee too, at the moment, but I absolutely reject the suggestion if I stop watching TV, I should be expected to buy expensive equipment in case I decide not to be honest.

I note you're avoiding my question about the possibility you could break speeding laws in your car or take offensive weapons out in public. Should you be prevented from the possibility of breaking these laws? Should we all be locked up in case we assault someone?

"No coz i needed to give the correct details for insurance purposes. They mustn't be allowed to give out your name, only the address. I'm gonna look into why tomorrow..."

That'll be the 1998 Data Protection act working for you

here

I pay the license fee and so have no need to replace my equipment.

But you'd expect other people to do so? To put them to significant extra expense when they're doing nothing wrong in the first place? What if they don't have a TV licence (and don't watch TV because of it) because they can't afford it? You'd still expect them to buy expensive new equipment that they don't need?

I pay my licence fee too, at the moment, but I absolutely reject the suggestion if I stop watching TV, I should be expected to buy expensive equipment in case I decide not to be honest.

I note you're avoiding my question about the possibility you could break speeding laws in your car or take offensive weapons out in public. Should you be prevented from the possibility of breaking these laws? Should we all be locked up in case we assault someone?"

If they are skint - sell the TV they don't use, and get the cash.

I am not avoiding your tenuous points, I just don't have anything relevant to say about them.

By *imjohnCouple  over a year ago

Clacton on sea, Essex

"

Also. Sky, Virgin and BT's TV services are also Live TV, so are a number of the online services (If they are showing at the same time as the transmitted service)."

Yes the above is true there is no getting away from paying a TV licence if you have a TV,tablet,computer,phone linked to your address or by monthly contract.

Online services like iplayer,c4 catch up etc also need a UK TV licence if you live in the UK.

If you have any device which can receive any TV like prog then by law you have to have a licence.

?"

It's officially called a 'tv license' but the money only goes to the BBC. All other channels make up there revenue with subscription and advertising.

TV licencing is an out dated method of revenue that goes back to the days when there was only the BBC.

There is too much competition out there if, you could easily refuse to pay the BBC license and totally boycott BBC channels, radio and i-player. But if you still have any TV capable of watching BBC channels you still have to pay license fees.

Would it really kill off the BBC to ditch the TV licence and go to subscription and advertising like everyone else?

Once upon a time you could remove the modulator unit and tell any TV detector man it was a monitor for a computer.

Modern technology isn't so easy, everything is far too integrated a interchangeable.

Also TV licences limit a household to 3 TV units.

FACTS:

You need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. This is the case whether you use a TV, computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or any other device.

It costs £145.50 for a colour TV Licence and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

One simple question makes it easy to know if you need a TV Licence:

Am I watching or recording live TV on any device?

Live TV means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it's being shown on TV or an online TV service.

An online TV service is a service that mainly aims to provide TV programmes over the internet, e.g. on a website or through an app or Smart TV.

Do I need a TV Licence if I don’t watch the BBC?

Yes, even if you don’t watch the BBC you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record live TV.

If you only ever watch on demand programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on live TV

What does your licence fee pay for?

A standard colour TV Licence costs £145.50 – the equivalent of £12.13 per month or just under 40p per day.

The fee you pay provides a wide range of TV, radio and online content, as well as developing new ways to deliver it to you. In addition to funding BBC programmes and services, a proportion of the licence fee contributes to the costs of rolling out broadband to the UK population and funding Welsh Language TV channel S4C and local TV channels. This was agreed with the government as part of the 2010 licence fee settlement.

The licence fee allows the BBC's UK services to remain free of advertisements and independent of shareholder and political interest.

We aim to collect the fee efficiently and fairly in order to deliver value for money for licence fee payers. In 1991 collection costs came to 6.2% of the total fee collected. By 2013/14 we had reduced this to 2.7%, allowing more money to go towards new content and services. Find out how the BBC spends the licence fee.

The Government has frozen the licence fee at its 2010 level of £145.50 until 31 March 2017, three months after the current BBC Charter period ends

I think the fact not paying the licence is a criminal offence is most galling.

At one time it was the biggest reason for female imprisonment in the UK! May still be for all I know.

It's a ridiculous state of affairs to bang someone up for a TV licence AND get criminal record to boot!

There should be an opt out it's not beyond the ken of man to work one out that suits everyone.

here

"I think the fact not paying the licence is a criminal offence is most galling.

At one time it was the biggest reason for female imprisonment in the UK! May still be for all I know.

It's a ridiculous state of affairs to bang someone up for a TV licence AND get criminal record to boot!

There should be an opt out it's not beyond the ken of man to work one out that suits everyone."

There is an opt-out

Don't have a TV that is capable of receiving broadcast television

The BBC is out dated, shit programmes other than their documentaries

I use netflix, no adverts and i can pick what i want to watch.

The bbc should be funded by advertising, it's not he 80's where there only 4 channels

All those saying thhey need a warrant to prove you have are watching tv.. nope you only have to open the door for them and for them to report that you have a tv.

I got caught for it and I had a licence or so I thought. My road is an odd one and mail for me tends to end up at the same number but another part of the street. changed my banks, swapped my direct debits and happy girl. Only they hadn't swapped all of them and two... Tv licence fee being one didn't get paid...

Long story short... My Daugher opened the door and the guy could see the tv on... It was watching a sky channel but not obviously live tv. I did say it was a DVD.

And that I didn't really watch live tv.

4 Months later I'm Summoned to court and despite being able to prove the lack of Payment was in error, and no proof I was watching live tv. I was fined for it.

You only need to open the door to them

"There is an opt-out

Don't have a TV that is capable of receiving broadcast television"

Does anybody make one?

here

"There is an opt-out

Don't have a TV that is capable of receiving broadcast television

Does anybody make one?"

Yes.

Monitors are also suitable

Maybe if the BBC got back to making quality programmes people wouldn't mind so much. It's getting increasingly difficult to find the gold nuggets in the bucket of shit that is most TV.

MrWeekend, usually you make good, intelligent points, unfortunately not today.

You know very well that selling a second hand TV is highly unlikely to make enough money to replace it with something you think is appropriate.

As for my 'tenuous' points, they're exactly the same situations. You own things which you could use to break the law, just like, say, a television which could be used to receive broadcasts. Yet that is somehow different and there's no need in those situations to ensure that people, including you, are unable to break the law. You're trusted to use your car responsibly. You're trusted to use knives appropriately.

Plus, as I pointed out, those that break the law will continue to do so. It's only the honest people, who are already abiding by the law, that would be shelling out additional money they may not be able to afford, for something they don't need because they already own something that will do the job.

"Innocent until proven guilty", not "if they can break the law we should assume they will".

You'd be really annoyed if all your knives were confiscated because you _might_ stab someone with one.

And, let's face it, stabbings are a bit more serious than not buying a tv licence, so if we're acting to prevent crime maybe those that don't buy a tv licence should be fairly low down the priority list.