FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Losing animals

Losing animals

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Sadly this year, The northern white rhino became officially extinct, it suddenly took me back to childhood and how upset I felt at hearing about the extinction of the Caspian Tiger.

The extinction of any animal is sad, but which animal would you save from extinction and why?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Sadly this year, The northern white rhino became officially extinct, it suddenly took me back to childhood and how upset I felt at hearing about the extinction of the Caspian Tiger.

The extinction of any animal is sad, but which animal would you save from extinction and why?"

as an aside - in planetary terms, the sooner the human race becomes extinct the better - simply the worst thing ever to have happened to this beautiful planet - and IF it's God's work - what a huge cock up

By *angerousEyesMan  over a year ago

weston

Anything but the panda, they are useless.

Polar bears, always been fascinated by them since I was a kid. Their homes are melting due to global warming but not sure how endangered they are in generl though.

I'd save them all. It frustrates me that we think it's ok to kill off a whole species. We just seem intent on destroying things.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I read that elephants will die out in the wild due to poachers and habitat loss

"Sadly this year, The northern white rhino became officially extinct, it suddenly took me back to childhood and how upset I felt at hearing about the extinction of the Caspian Tiger.

The extinction of any animal is sad, but which animal would you save from extinction and why?"

Whilst hard to say as i can't decided a true reason for picking one endangered life over another, i must admit i will shed many a tear when the Sumatran Tiger is announced as extint.

As a cat lover, small and big alike, i hold a soft spot for Tigers and play an active part in raising money for the Sumatran Tiger xx

"Polar bears, always been fascinated by them since I was a kid. Their homes are melting due to global warming but not sure how endangered they are in generl though. "

Quite bad and getting worse, main problem is lack of food, they rely on sea ice to catch seals.

The extinction of any animal is sad, but which animal would you save from extinction and why?

Whilst hard to say as i can't decided a true reason for picking one endangered life over another, i must admit i will shed many a tear when the Sumatran Tiger is announced as extint.

As a cat lover, small and big alike, i hold a soft spot for Tigers and play an active part in raising money for the Sumatran Tiger xx"

I love big cats, we've already lost three last century, look up Panthera, great charity working on wildlife corridors for big cats and their prey, hopefully we will have Lynx back in the UK one day.

as an aside - in planetary terms, the sooner the human race becomes extinct the better - simply the worst thing ever to have happened to this beautiful planet - and IF it's God's work - what a huge cock up "

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

When the trees are all cut down...

For me its Orangutans. They are one of our own great ape family. Think of those big eyed babies in their nappies...

"For me its Orangutans. They are one of our own great ape family. Think of those big eyed babies in their nappies... "

Indonesian animals have got it bad at the mo, Orangutans, Tigers and Rhinos on the islands are in serious decline, habitat destruction and poaching, what a lovely species we are.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Id save the Honey Bee - Im no expert but watched a programme about them.

Without them doing all their pollenating and shit we'd be fucked in about 3 years

By *rank EinsteinMan  over a year ago

Burton upon stather

as an aside - in planetary terms, the sooner the human race becomes extinct the better - simply the worst thing ever to have happened to this beautiful planet - and IF it's God's work - what a huge cock up "

Actually.....

In the long run the sun will die and all life in our solar system will die with it.

We, as a species are intelligent enough to develop the technology to colonise other worlds and keep life moving along including other animals.

It's really not to far fetched to imagine us creating the technology to revive extinct species.

As an extreme it's highly possible we could in fact create a Jurassic world on another planet and observe it.

Out future lies in the stars and not on this planet.

Yes,and in the meantime we'll continue to fuck it up like we have since we invented the wheel.

I wonder how the world would have evolved if neanderthals had survived rather than homo sapiens? I guess that's the point though. It's survival of the fittest, and unfortunately that's us.

"Anything but the panda, they are useless."

All animals should be saved and the human race should be hunted to extinction.

We are supposed to be the intelligent ones on this planet then prove it stop destroying it.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Anything but the panda, they are useless."

Abso-frickin'-lutely.

Can't even help themselves out by being bothered to fuck.

Rubbish animals.

Cardiff

"Anything but the panda, they are useless.

Abso-frickin'-lutely.

Rubbish animals. "

Ling Ling isnt touching Ding Dong

"Yes,and in the meantime we'll continue to fuck it up like we have since we invented the wheel.

I wonder how the world would have evolved if neanderthals had survived rather than homo sapiens? I guess that's the point though. It's survival of the fittest, and unfortunately that's us. "

We weren't the fittest, we were the most prolific, there's a difference

Cardiff

Eat, Shoots and Leave - Yeah that old one

Glastonbury

"Anything but the panda, they are useless.

Abso-frickin'-lutely.

Rubbish animals.

Ling Ling isnt touching Ding Dong"

Does everyone remeber Chi Chi the panda?

Chi Chi means 'naughty little girl' in Mandarin. Say it with the incorrect inflection and the sound you make means 'prostitute'.

Burton upon stather

You know what, all the people saying that the human race shouldn't exist, help the animals out, just top yourselves..

What you really mean is, some people can be cruel and primitive and I wish everyone would think more about conservation of these species.

With or without us eventually life on earth will end, there's been mass extinctions before and we're in the middle of one now BUT we might be able to develop the technology to bring them back.

I'm an animal lover myself but look into the history of the planet, the mass extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs wasn't even the biggest one there's been one estimated to have destroyed 99% of ALL life on the planet. And that happened before we even existed.

"Yes,and in the meantime we'll continue to fuck it up like we have since we invented the wheel.

I wonder how the world would have evolved if neanderthals had survived rather than homo sapiens? I guess that's the point though. It's survival of the fittest, and unfortunately that's us. .

We weren't the fittest, we were the most prolific, there's a difference"

We succeeded because of our "higher intelligece" Our ability to adapt. Not our numbers

"Id save the Honey Bee - Im no expert but watched a programme about them.

Without them doing all their pollenating and shit we'd be fucked in about 3 years"

Not just us but 60% of all species!

It's a classic case of capitalism gone mad.

Every year we ask them to do more, while taking more of their honey of them!

I think they just thought fuck it you bunch of cunts, pollinate everything yourself and see how you get on!

Cardiff

"You know what, all the people saying that the human race shouldn't exist, help the animals out, just top yourselves..

"

Yeah all right cool head Noah

"You know what, all the people saying that the human race shouldn't exist, help the animals out, just top yourselves..

What you really mean is, some people can be cruel and primitive and I wish everyone would think more about conservation of these species.

With or without us eventually life on earth will end, there's been mass extinctions before and we're in the middle of one now BUT we might be able to develop the technology to bring them back.

I'm an animal lover myself but look into the history of the planet, the mass extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs wasn't even the biggest one there's been one estimated to have destroyed 99% of ALL life on the planet. And that happened before we even existed. "

What caused it?

Burton upon stather

I'm an animal lover myself but look into the history of the planet, the mass extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs wasn't even the biggest one there's been one estimated to have destroyed 99% of ALL life on the planet. And that happened before we even existed. .

What caused it?"

Google the permian mass extinction, I was wrong it was 96% of all life on the planet. Everything since then evolved from the remaining 4% of life

Burton upon stather

Oh, nearly forgot, there's been five mass extinctions that we know of.

All before we existed.

"Id save the Honey Bee - Im no expert but watched a programme about them.

Without them doing all their pollenating and shit we'd be fucked in about 3 years"

We rely massive on many animals for our survival, Bees and Worms are really important for us, nice one mate

Glastonbury

There have been 6 verified mass extinction events in the Earth's past.

Arguably what humans are doing now counts as a seventh

Burton upon stather

Also mass extinction doesn't necessarily mean overnight like the meteor that wiped the dinosaurs out, they can happen over millions of years die to climate changes and many other factors.

Didn't I mention climate change, global warming and ice ages have happened multiple times before we existing as well.

You have to look at the bigger picture.

I wonder how the world would have evolved if neanderthals had survived rather than homo sapiens? I guess that's the point though. It's survival of the fittest, and unfortunately that's us. .

We weren't the fittest, we were the most prolific, there's a difference

We succeeded because of our "higher intelligece" Our ability to adapt. Not our numbers

"

That doesn't make you the fittest, Neanderthals were far fitter, they could run faster than Christie and could tear the arms of you and beat you to death with them!.

Where as we had the ability to adapt which made us prolific (everywhere) and when the bad times came,our ability to be everywhere meant we lived on!

Some scientists worked out that at one time there was only 2000 mating pairs of homosapians left after the squeeze

"Oh, nearly forgot, there's been five mass extinctions that we know of.

All before we existed. "

But these extinctions we are talking about are Human induced, same as climate change, the climate is always changing, but we have caused a speeded up major shift and given ourselves little time to adapt. The earth took millions of years to get to a stage where we could exist upon it, and we are taking it away from that, the Earth's ecosystems are not separate from each other, each one affects the other and in turn affects the life on the Planet, including human life. If things happened naturally we could have time to adapt, food systems, water etc, but we are running out of time, or it may even be to late. But we should try to do something, especially if we have brought kids into the world. Wildlife conservation is only a small part of the major problem we face.

"Also mass extinction doesn't necessarily mean overnight like the meteor that wiped the dinosaurs out, they can happen over millions of years die to climate changes and many other factors.

Didn't I mention climate change, global warming and ice ages have happened multiple times before we existing as well.

You have to look at the bigger picture. "

Yeah that's why I asked the question, the most likely scenarios are runaway climate change or meteor strikes?

Runaway climate change can happen in many possible scenarios from volcanic eruptions, methane microbes and methane emissions from the sea bed...

Quick question, the oceans are the most acidic they've been for...?

As above and obviously the Polarbear! Add to that the Snowleopard; both such graceful animals.

All before we existed.

"

There has never been an animal made extinct by the hands (or mouths and paws ) of a single other animal before we came along

Burton upon stather

"

But these extinctions we are talking about are Human induced, same as climate change, the climate is always changing, but we have caused a speeded up major shift and given ourselves little time to adapt. The earth took millions of years to get to a stage where we could exist upon it, and we are taking it away from that, the Earth's ecosystems are not separate from each other, each one affects the other and in turn affects the life on the Planet, including human life. If things happened naturally we could have time to adapt, food systems, water etc, but we are running out of time, or it may even be to late. But we should try to do something, especially if we have brought kids into the world. Wildlife conservation is only a small part of the major problem we face."

It doesn't matter whether an extinction is caused by us because..... We're a part of nature

We have adapted because survival of the fittest still applies, take dogs for example they have evolved into our companions and as such have ensured their survival.

If you really want to do something, don't have kids.

Every cardboard box they ever open, every meal they consume, everything with plastic or metal or wood has been harvested from the earth and reduced the space for other animals to live.

Like I said before, with or without us this world will end one day and only we have the power to save what's left buttons we need to continue growing as a species which doesn't leave much room for anything else.

So think about that while you wipe your arse with toilet paper that helped destroy a rainforest or drive a car that helps global warming or eat anything with a plastic wrapper that was made into a factor spewing toxic chemicals into the atmosphere.

Burton upon stather

All before we existed.

There has never been an animal made extinct by the hands (or mouths and paws ) of a single other animal before we came along"

So... Mass extinction is fine as long as well didn't help it?

Glastonbury

All before we existed.

There has never been an animal made extinct by the hands (or mouths and paws ) of a single other animal before we came along

So... Mass extinction is fine as long as well didn't help it? "

It's now been suggested as 6 - they've discovered another one just before the Permian/Triassic ('Great Dying')...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32397220

Plus what we're doing = 7

Burton upon stather

All before we existed.

It's now been suggested as 6 - they've discovered another one just before the Permian/Triassic ('Great Dying')...

Plus what we're doing = 7"

Sorry I forgot to reply when you said 6 before, I'll check that out thanks

"

But these extinctions we are talking about are Human induced, same as climate change, the climate is always changing, but we have caused a speeded up major shift and given ourselves little time to adapt. The earth took millions of years to get to a stage where we could exist upon it, and we are taking it away from that, the Earth's ecosystems are not separate from each other, each one affects the other and in turn affects the life on the Planet, including human life. If things happened naturally we could have time to adapt, food systems, water etc, but we are running out of time, or it may even be to late. But we should try to do something, especially if we have brought kids into the world. Wildlife conservation is only a small part of the major problem we face.

It doesn't matter whether an extinction is caused by us because..... We're a part of nature

We have adapted because survival of the fittest still applies, take dogs for example they have evolved into our companions and as such have ensured their survival.

If you really want to do something, don't have kids.

Every cardboard box they ever open, every meal they consume, everything with plastic or metal or wood has been harvested from the earth and reduced the space for other animals to live.

Like I said before, with or without us this world will end one day and only we have the power to save what's left buttons we need to continue growing as a species which doesn't leave much room for anything else.

So think about that while you wipe your arse with toilet paper that helped destroy a rainforest or drive a car that helps global warming or eat anything with a plastic wrapper that was made into a factor spewing toxic chemicals into the atmosphere. "

Dogs haven't "evolved" we breed them into pets, there's no such thing as a wild boxer or a wild Labrador there hybrids from the canidae family on the whole!

"Survival of the fittest" is actually two pages from Darwin's origin of the species and is almost always quoted wrongly, Darwin actually spent the entire book writing about natural selection and how humans proper as pack animals with their ability to adapt over coming their natural weaknesses as single entities

All before we existed.

Sorry I forgot to reply when you said 6 before, I'll check that out thanks "

But we have the ability to do something, other lifeforms don't, we waste so much time and energy on pointless nonsense, if we really got it together we might have a chance, surely if their is the possibility to save ourselves we should. I had kids to bring positive people into the world, But I agree, I wouldn't have them now with the way things are. If there really is nothing we can do, then so be it, but if we can.....

By *ales lookingMan  over a year ago

gwynedd

What boils my shit is having animals killed to provide things like aphrodysiacs (powdered rhino horns etc) for rich businessmen who can't get it up.That and the mess and harm we've done to the planet means don't deserve to live here

Burton upon stather

All before we existed.

But we have the ability to do something, other lifeforms don't, we waste so much time and energy on pointless nonsense, if we really got it together we might have a chance, surely if their is the possibility to save ourselves we should. I had kids to bring positive people into the world, But I agree, I wouldn't have them now with the way things are. If there really is nothing we can do, then so be it, but if we can....."

So get off fab which is pointless nonsense any go do something about it.

You keep saying we but what are you actively doing to help the animals?

All before we existed.

But we have the ability to do something, other lifeforms don't, we waste so much time and energy on pointless nonsense, if we really got it together we might have a chance, surely if their is the possibility to save ourselves we should. I had kids to bring positive people into the world, But I agree, I wouldn't have them now with the way things are. If there really is nothing we can do, then so be it, but if we can.....

So get off fab which is pointless nonsense any go do something about it.

You keep saying we but what are you actively doing to help the animals? "

I was speaking of the way we waste our knowledge of science, why are you so abrupt, you know nothing about me, since childhood I have worked and supported wildlife in many different forms this has been reduced due to my circumstances now, but I still do what I can.

Burton upon stather

"

I was speaking of the way we waste our knowledge of science, why are you so abrupt, you know nothing about me, since childhood I have worked and supported wildlife in many different forms this has been reduced due to my circumstances now, but I still do what I can."

I'm being abrupt now because I'm giving you a lot of information on long thought out posts and you're taking nothing in and just repeating yourself, focusing on one thing.

I don't need to know anything about you, that has no relation to anything I was simply asking as you feel so strongly about the subject what you are doing to help conserve these animals.

We haven't wasted our science at all.

We're working on green energy.

we've created vaccines and cures for an lot of things that's can kill us.

Were started exploring space (again the only way anything on this planet will survive it's inevitable destruction).

We've created wildlife parks and reserves to attempt to save some of the species caught in our wake which we didn't need to do.

Unless you want to go into moral responsibilities but that's a whole different ball game.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I read that elephants will die out in the wild due to poachers and habitat loss "

Will that be a loss to the planet ? Really ?

By *ales lookingMan  over a year ago

gwynedd

"I read that elephants will die out in the wild due to poachers and habitat loss

Will that be a loss to the planet ? Really ? "

I think they'll be missed more than a grumpy dumpy scouser

Not really were part of the planet no different to any other animal.

Save all animals and reduce on human production

I would happily reduce the numbers if legally allowed too

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

as an aside - in planetary terms, the sooner the human race becomes extinct the better - simply the worst thing ever to have happened to this beautiful planet - and IF it's God's work - what a huge cock up

Not really were part of the planet no different to any other animal.

"

Agree on the first part, but not the second, we are unlike any other animal, but not as different as most people seem to think.

By *ongtalljonMan  over a year ago

North Wales

Apparently, we (humans) have the technology, scientific know how and general skill to colonize a barren planet such as Mars.

Yet at the same time, planet earth has abundant flowing water, a breathable atmosphere, a moderate climate and temperature range, abundant organic plant and animal life, abundant minerals.

So. We're gonna colonize Mars coz we can't manage Earth???????

I would save the Velociraptor, that would give the hunters a Fucking shock with that on their tales.

Burton upon stather

"Save all animals and reduce on human production

I would happily reduce the numbers if legally allowed too"

So hang yourself...

A perfectly reasonable thread gets destroyed by idiots.

Extinction of the human race - no.

A fucking huge cull - yes.

There's capacity for great acts of good out there, we just need to remove the parasites and money grabbing corporations from society.

Burton upon stather

"A perfectly reasonable thread gets destroyed by idiots."

I fully agree, get rid of the human race to save the pandas.

What a load of shit, refer to my earlier post about wishing more people were considerate instead of wishing the human race was extinct because the human race includes them, their whole family, all their friends, all future family..

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I read that elephants will die out in the wild due to poachers and habitat loss

I think they'll be missed more than a grumpy dumpy scouser "

Is personal insult of strangers the way you discuss every issue ?

I think they'll be missed more than a grumpy dumpy scouser

Is personal insult of strangers the way you discuss every issue ? "

That`s what i meant by my last comment, some people have trouble with decent conversation.

» Add a new message to this topic