FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > £9/h Min wage?

£9/h Min wage?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

When I first heard this I though aye great,about time!

But what the state give with one hand they then take even more with the other......

If you're a young family or single parent you will no longer be entitled working tax credits!

As well as all the companies that can't/wont pay the higher rate but will worm around it by offering the new min wage but on part time/0 hour contracts!

This government sickens me it really does!

So who thinks it's a good/bad thing and why?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Bad idea.

I cant afford to pay that to my staff

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Bad idea.

I cant afford to pay that to my staff"

Tricky, isn't it? It is so easy to express disgust at the government. And so difficult to come up with other financially credible policies.

Cardiff

"Bad idea.

Tricky, isn't it? It is so easy to express disgust at the government. And so difficult to come up with other financially credible policies."

Try cutting taxes and rates.

I pay the council £500 a month just to have a business. I pay them £250 a qtr to take our waste away.

"Bad idea.

Tricky, isn't it? It is so easy to express disgust at the government. And so difficult to come up with other financially credible policies.

I pay the council £500 a month just to have a business. I pay them £250 a qtr to take our waste away.

"

It will just make it easier for people to do cash in hand work , whilst on benefits . Or encourage people to employ under 18 like mcdonalds etc

I am not worried about , neither is anyone I know. I intend to put my prices up,if I lose work because of this , I will sack someone .

A lot of the income in this country is from small businesses , and I sure as hell am not going to let my standard of living go down, because of this

Cardiff

"Bad idea.

It will just make it easier for people to do cash in hand work , whilst on benefits . Or encourage people to employ under 18 like mcdonalds etc

I am not worried about , neither is anyone I know. I intend to put my prices up,if I lose work because of this , I will sack someone .

A lot of the income in this country is from small businesses , and I sure as hell am not going to let my standard of living go down, because of this "

Cash went into the hands the minute vat went from 17.5% to 20%

Minimum wage catching up with my guys. I pay my drivers £10.50 an hour.

By *hyllyphyllyMan  over a year ago

Bradford

One thing I'm worried about is prices will go up to help pay for this, but people on benefits will have their money frozen and can't afford to buy food etc

"Bad idea.

"

We all want cuts.

Cardiff

"One thing I'm worried about is prices will go up to help pay for this, but people on benefits will have their money frozen and can't afford to buy food etc"

The supermarkets will invest in even more self service checkouts with just one member of staff to cover them all

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Bad idea.

A lot of the income in this country is from small businesses , and I sure as hell am not going to let my standard of living go down, because of this

Cash went into the hands the minute vat went from 17.5% to 20%"

Something else the Tories promised they wouldn't do, did, then blamed it on Clegg.

Cardiff

£9.50 an hour

+ NI

+ Pension Contribution (if opted IN)

Better off being a one man band

"£9.50 an hour

+ NI

Better off being a one man band"

no one cared to look when this £9.50 an hour is getting introduced, lol check what year it gets implimented

"

The supermarkets will invest in even more self service checkouts with just one member of staff to cover them all"

So you are not in favour of increasing the minimum wage?

Cardiff

"£9.50 an hour

+ NI

Better off being a one man band

no one cared to look when this £9.50 an hour is getting introduced, lol check what year it gets implimented"

2017 I think, that could be 2020, but even so, its a big jump

I just question the viability of it for some smaller employers?

I do think it is positive for many though. I have a friend who works in a large nursery chain, she has qualifications and yet they still pay minimum wage or very close to it. It just seems to me one job where it is not as well remunerated as it should be, but then I am sure many aren't.

Cardiff

"

The supermarkets will invest in even more self service checkouts with just one member of staff to cover them all

So you are not in favour of increasing the minimum wage?"

No

Its all.political lies to stop you being as mad at them now

By *ubicinchMan  over a year ago

Gwynedd

We already have food banks before it has even come in. I work on a PT contract, it's awful. When this comes into effect, they will cut the extra hours they try to top me up with to keep me happy and probably try to reduce the contract hours. They will have less available staff so those left behind will only be expected to do more. Its bad enough as it is, and standards of service suffer.

Glasgow

"£9.50 an hour

+ NI

Better off being a one man band"

But then they couldn't claim to be a Captain of Industry (try though they might).

Nowadays every wean with a paper round describes them self as a 'businessman'.

The £9 doesn't apply till 2020(I think) by which time they hope inflation will have taken a chunk of that away?.

As a whole for every pound they've given away they've taken £2 back, so in fact it's a tax raising budget, most of the tax raising measures are effective immediately while most of the tax giving measures are staged over 5 years.

So if you look at the main tax giveaways....

Business's with CT tax lowering(we had the lowest but lowered it further still)

Million pound inheritance tax abolished.

Even the personal allowance favoured higher wage earners

Ie people on 15k saw far less gains than people on 60k.

I don't employ anyone so I've got nothing to be bitter about in sacking anyone, although I do have a dog to kick but in reality the dog had as much do with anything as the employee did... Depends on how pathetic you want to be in kicking somebody else

Think we should get rambo'd up,storm these bastard fat cat bankers offices n reclaim the wealth robin hood style!

whose with me?....I'll supply AKs,molotov cocktails and of course some war paint so we look the part!

Or failing that lets jail the fuckers like they did in Iceland

"

No"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Cardiff

"

No

Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

I had to go with YES or NO with no explanation. Not that I have to give one.

Im out of time today to add any more to this, be back Monday though

Glasgow

"Think we should get rambo'd up,storm these bastard fat cat bankers offices n reclaim the wealth robin hood style!

whose with me?....I'll supply AKs,molotov cocktails and of course some war paint so we look the part!

Or failing that lets jail the fuckers like they did in Iceland "

Reclaim the wealth? There IS no wealth. It's all a big con.

It's like riding the circus Wall of Death. The trick is to keep going. Stop to look around and you're fucked - like Greece.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"One thing I'm worried about is prices will go up to help pay for this, but people on benefits will have their money frozen and can't afford to buy food etc"

I think you'll find that most companies are charging the maximum that they think is appropriate atm. They don't generally maintain lower prices, just because they're raking in cash fairly comfortably, and costs are lowish.

If you own a small business,in some ways it is a good thing increasing the wage as this means people have more money to spend

"Think we should get rambo'd up,storm these bastard fat cat bankers offices n reclaim the wealth robin hood style!

Reclaim the wealth? There IS no wealth. It's all a big con.

It's like riding the circus Wall of Death. The trick is to keep going. Stop to look around and you're fucked - like Greece."

Fair dos I'll just reclaim their heads then n stick em on spikes......until I come up with a better (more violent!) plan

"

No

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I had to go with YES or NO with no explanation. Not that I have to give one.

Im out of time today to add any more to this, be back Monday though "

I did not make up any rules. Answer as you wish.

Minimum wage increase = complaints by employers = congratulations from low paid employees. On the whole.

Errr no I'm not quite up for storming, it's a bit warm tonight for physicality .

However we could have bailed out the people instead of the business's, jailed the bankers who committed wholesale fraud, installed proper regulation to stop it happening again and let the people who wish to gamble on 24%bond returns in Greece do so!, just not with my money

Glasgow

"If you own a small business,in some ways it is a good thing increasing the wage as this means people have more money to spend "

I can't see it increasing spending power. At the moment folks have low wages + working tax credits = (roughly) £x. Higher wage + working tax credit = (roughly) £x.

Who wins?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

In general, the more money that lower paid people have in their pockets, it will by and large end up in the UK economy, compared to the richer end of the spectrum.

If more of the money that had gone to bail out the banks had been directed at the more typical person in the street, our economy would likely have recovered financially much quicker.

I'd prefer our minimum wage to be more of an exceptional pay level, than the new norm that it seems to have become for millions. Organisations could perhaps be forced to justify why they're only paying the minimum wage.

I was going to look at taking one of my freelancers on part time... but I won't be able to pay them that so I'll be keeping them freelance.

I don't really know what the implication of that is.

Glasgow

Or failing that lets jail the fuckers like they did in Iceland .

Errr no I'm not quite up for storming, it's a bit warm tonight for physicality .

However we could have bailed out the people instead of the business's, jailed the bankers who committed wholesale fraud, installed proper regulation to stop it happening again and let the people who wish to gamble on 24%bond returns in Greece do so!, just not with my money"

Maybe we could confiscate Gogarburn off RBS and put it to better use.

RBS could relocate to a portacabin in Portobello.

Or failing that lets jail the fuckers like they did in Iceland .

However we could have bailed out the people instead of the business's, jailed the bankers who committed wholesale fraud, installed proper regulation to stop it happening again and let the people who wish to gamble on 24%bond returns in Greece do so!, just not with my money

RBS could relocate to a portacabin in Portobello."

You own rbs along with all its losses... You don't need to confiscate it

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

It's not a minimum wage - it's the suggested *living* wage to be introduced from 2020, I think.

It means it's 'aspirational' - like a unicorn in every home.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Bad idea .. All prices and rents will go up and gobble away any advantages hyped by the fuckwit Chancellor

I already can't afford to buy food when the kids are away. As a single disabled mum, the govt have screwed me over!

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"Bad idea.

Cash went into the hands the minute vat went from 17.5% to 20%

Something else the Tories promised they wouldn't do, did, then blamed it on Clegg."

Yeah, because labour keep all their promises...

Face it, their all as bad as each other, only ever in it for themselves. As it happens, though, I think the budget isn't too bad, even though we'll be worse off I think it's a step in the right direction.

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Hertford

"When I first heard this I though aye great,about time!

But what the state give with one hand they then take even more with the other......

If you're a young family or single parent you will no longer be entitled working tax credits!

As well as all the companies that can't/wont pay the higher rate but will worm around it by offering the new min wage but on part time/0 hour contracts!

So who thinks it's a good/bad thing and why?"

I think it is up to the individual to have the necessary skills to be employable . We can hardly blame the government . Will consumers be happy paying higher prices for goods as a result of increased payroll costs . ? Everything you receive in life has to be paid for .Nothing is given to you on a plate . The majority of voters voted Conservative because they realised that they were the voice of common sense and agreed with their policies .

"It's not a minimum wage - it's the suggested *living* wage to be introduced from 2020, I think.

It means it's 'aspirational' - like a unicorn in every home. "

I was under the impression it *was* the new minimum wage - since they have decided to change the name at the same time.

Glasgow

Those who voted Conservative fell for the lie that Cameron would make them better off.

Hertford

The banks are owned by shareholders and pension funds . These are the people who have suffered most of the losses. The bailout loans will be repaid or recovered eventually. Many senior bank employees work extremely hard .

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"Those who voted Conservative fell for the lie that Cameron would make them better off."

did we ?

"It's not a minimum wage - it's the suggested *living* wage to be introduced from 2020, I think.

I was under the impression it *was* the new minimum wage - since they have decided to change the name at the same time."

It is. It's not like the old Living Wage which was recommended, not compulsory.

"Those who voted Conservative fell for the lie that Cameron would make them better off."

I will be.

Isn't it the minimal wage up to a certain age and then it is the living wage?

Hertford

I thought that most people voted Conservative because they offered the best and the fairest policies . Labour have yet to show how they would control the power of the unions . Everything that you have in life has to be earned , not given to you on a plate .

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Isn't it the minimal wage up to a certain age and then it is the living wage?"

Yes, it's at a lower rate until you're 25 and then at the new "living" (I object to that term) wage.

Here we have the age old conundrum: everyone wants to earn a decent salary but no one wants to pay the true cost of that. The fudge of Working Tax Credits took the problem away from the salary bill and the consumer and placed it with the tax-payer.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

I sit corrected:

"Mr Osborne unveiled the National Living Wage in a surprise announcement at the end of his Budget speech on Wednesday. Paid to over-25s, it will start at £7.20 and rise to £9 an hour by 2020."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33456160

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Inflation !

By *av1970Man  over a year ago

Tattershall

Just to throw in my tuppence worth...£9 an hour, 40 hour week, 52 weeks a year gives you £18720 before everything starts to get taken off...i worked for the Civil Service for 13 years, had three promotions and only reached that level of pay in the last couple of years...so quite frankly, for many it's better than a kick in the slats is all i'm saying

Glasgow

"Those who voted Conservative fell for the lie that Cameron would make them better off. I thought that most people voted Conservative because they offered the best and the fairest policies . Labour have yet to show how they would control the power of the unions . Everything that you have in life has to be earned , not given to you on a plate . "

Like inherited titles and the houses and land which come with them?

Like Daddy's business and income?

Not so much a plate as a silver platter.

Hertford

"Those who voted Conservative fell for the lie that Cameron would make them better off. I thought that most people voted Conservative because they offered the best and the fairest policies . Labour have yet to show how they would control the power of the unions . Everything that you have in life has to be earned , not given to you on a plate .

Not so much a plate as a silver platter."

Even if you inherit land or a business you still have to have the necessary skills to manage it or you could end up losing the lot very quickly . If parents work hard , they are proud to leave what they earned to their kids . What is wrong with that ?

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

If an employer cannot afford to pay what is considered to be a liveable wage then is it really a viable business ?

Glasgow

"Those who voted Conservative fell for the lie that Cameron would make them better off. I thought that most people voted Conservative because they offered the best and the fairest policies . Labour have yet to show how they would control the power of the unions . Everything that you have in life has to be earned , not given to you on a plate .

Not so much a plate as a silver platter. Even if you inherit land or a business you still have to have the necessary skills to manage it or you could end up losing the lot very quickly . If parents work hard , they are proud to leave what they earned to their kids . What is wrong with that ? "

Nah, you pay a proper professional to manage it and get proper auditors to ensure they ain't at the madam.

There's a good chance the parents didn't work hard either.

When was the last time a Plook of Westminster did some actual work?

When was a crown last passed on as a result of hard work?

Glasgow

PS. Any post now I'll be accused of envy, which is quite funny. Even funnier for those who know my background.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"

RBS could relocate to a portacabin in Portobello."

Went to a lot of meetings there back in the day...

great to attend a meeting and drop off your dry cleaning and pick it up later

By *ustcutieWoman  over a year ago

edinburgh

"

great to attend a meeting and drop off your dry cleaning and pick it up later "

You always make me smile

Hertford

Not so much a plate as a silver platter. Even if you inherit land or a business you still have to have the necessary skills to manage it or you could end up losing the lot very quickly . If parents work hard , they are proud to leave what they earned to their kids . What is wrong with that ?

Nah, you pay a proper professional to manage it and get proper auditors to ensure they ain't at the madam.

There's a good chance the parents didn't work hard either.

When was the last time a Plook of Westminster did some actual work?

When was a crown last passed on as a result of hard work?"

The Royal Family are a good example . They work extremely hard and have no privacy whatsoever .

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"

great to attend a meeting and drop off your dry cleaning and pick it up later

You always make me smile "

it's was a great HQ,

and the catering was very good. I am sure I gained 5/6 lbs every visit

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

if you think about the the jump to 9 isn't really that big....

if you think the minimum wage at the moment is 6.50.... in october it goes up to 6.70... then in april it become 7.20...

so if you think they have to go up from 7.20 to 9 in 4 years... its basically 45p per year for 4 years.....

why should that jump not be manageable?

It may be a pay rise but in theory pay has slowed to a halt over past few yrs, i dont but it when employers say they cant afford to pay it

Right enough talk! I've had a couple of beers so feeling full of bravado n belligerence lol

Ak's at the ready folks,lets fuck those greedy bankers up!

CHAAAAAAARRRRRRRGE!!!!!!

Why do people have such a problem with this?

If a father has built up something why shouldn't it be passed on to the kids. It's up to the kids then to keep the ball rolling or piss it up the wall.

"It may be a pay rise but in theory pay has slowed to a halt over past few yrs, i dont but it when employers say they cant afford to pay it "

Get a job with a different company. One of my partners was just given 11% with another potential 11% in six months. That's the reality of working for American tech though.

"It may be a pay rise but in theory pay has slowed to a halt over past few yrs, i dont but it when employers say they cant afford to pay it

Get a job with a different company. One of my partners was just given 11% with another potential 11% in six months. That's the reality of working for American tech though."

Some companies are brilliant for pay rises, others....not so much.

I've been in my current job just over four years and earn around £350 more per month than when I started

It's certainly helped us make a good start in life.

Glasgow

If a father has built up something why shouldn't it be passed on to the kids. It's up to the kids then to keep the ball rolling or piss it up the wall. "

It just shows that not everything you have in life has to be earned, as suggested above.

By *razedcatMan  over a year ago

London / Herts

The Budget is always just an ongoing tweaking process - giving with one hand, taking away with the other.

Yes, minimum wage will be £9 by 2020, and will be increased to £7.20 next April, but the "living wage" the proposal is modelled on will be £11 by 2020!

If a father has built up something why shouldn't it be passed on to the kids. It's up to the kids then to keep the ball rolling or piss it up the wall.

It just shows that not everything you have in life has to be earned, as suggested above."

Of course everything isn't earned, some is inherited, some is won, I had £500,000 worth of life insurance which would be passed onto Mrsdpt, she wouldn't of earned it.

My point is that for a lot of (not all) people they're driven to make sure their family/loved ones are ok if anything happens to them. Hence wanting to build a business or property portfolio up.

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 10/07/15 20:33:07]

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

"

So you are not in favour of increasing the minimum wage?"

No it is about time this greed stopped and stability rerturned.

When I first started work most people earned between £7 and £10 per week.

That was enough for only the husband to work whilst the wife stayed home and looked after the house and kids.

The husbands wage covered all the costs of living and allowed the family to have a two week holiday every year.

Can anyone actually say we are better off now that wages have risen to a similar amount per hour?

Now it seems both the husband and the wife have to work full time just to make ends meet.

This relentless push for higher wages is self defeating as it just adds to the ever increasing spiral of costs.

Eventually it will be recognised that medieval man worked less hours per week for his Lord and master than the "free" men in today's society, that's not progress it is regression.

By *otgymfitanymoreCouple  over a year ago

pontefract

Will all wages be increased or just minimum wage?

I know not all minimum wage earners are unskilled but I don't see how unskilled workers should be paid the same rate as skilled/trade workers

I don't agree with the minimum wage as this frankly with a lot of companies has become the maximum, as companies are run by spreadsheets these days and the accountant that unfortunately read them will stick to this notion that cheapest is best, except when it comes to their pay.

Also don't agree with family tax credit, why should in full employment require help when their boss is running around a brand new Merc.

It would be more prudent the government looked into what these firm are paying and what the owners are getting out of it, then if the is exploitation, make them compensate their workforce.

"Will all wages be increased or just minimum wage?

I know not all minimum wage earners are unskilled but I don't see how unskilled workers should be paid the same rate as skilled/trade workers"

A lot of big construction companies only pay NVQ2 joiners £9 per hour so can see where you're coming from

Glasgow

I know not all minimum wage earners are unskilled but I don't see how unskilled workers should be paid the same rate as skilled/trade workers"

Increasing the minimum wage will erode differentials. That'll be another rammy.

I know not all minimum wage earners are unskilled but I don't see how unskilled workers should be paid the same rate as skilled/trade workers

Increasing the minimum wage will erode differentials. That'll be another rammy."

But if two people are about to apply for jobs,

One as a joiner etc so 2 or 3 years apprenticeship which the minimum wage doesn't cover to qualify and earn £9

The second goes into an unskilled job to earn £9 per hour. Doesn't really seem fair if this is how it will be.

That's the argument the poster a few posts up meant and I fully agree with them.

A lot of big construction companies only pay NVQ2 joiners £9 per hour so can see where you're coming from"

Maybe there should be another way of looking at it, companies must pay a minimum amount of their GROSS profit in wages per worker. This would benefit both parties as it would give workers an incentive to be efficient

The end of the day someone hires a worker to increase their profit, not because they're being nice, indeed I'd like every business taxed on gross income like the rest of us, to stop blatant avoidance of tax.

A lot of big construction companies only pay NVQ2 joiners £9 per hour so can see where you're coming from

Maybe there should be another way of looking at it, companies must pay a minimum amount of their GROSS profit in wages per worker. This would benefit both parties as it would give workers an incentive to be efficient

The end of the day someone hires a worker to increase their profit, not because they're being nice, indeed I'd like every business taxed on gross income like the rest of us, to stop blatant avoidance of tax."

Gross income? What are you classing as income? Sales? So a company should be taxed on its sales, regardless of the cost of those sales?

Or do you mean EBITDA?

By the way, using 'accountant' as an insult isn't that effective because they don't do what you think they do.

Glasgow

"

By the way, using 'accountant' as an insult isn't that effective because they don't do what you think they do. "

Using 'accountant' as an insult isn't about what they do, it's about the kind of people they tend to be.

"

By the way, using 'accountant' as an insult isn't that effective because they don't do what you think they do.

Using 'accountant' as an insult isn't about what they do, it's about the kind of people they tend to be."

Which is what kind of person, exactly?

"Bad idea.

A lot of the income in this country is from small businesses , and I sure as hell am not going to let my standard of living go down, because of this "

You cant sack someone if you lose work

I think it's a great idea, the current tax credits system whilst needed for many low income families starts it dramaticly reduce when you get to £16000 pa income. So if you have 2 kids you get around 7k pa for earning up to 16k then only around £700pa if you earn 22k, because of this there is no incentive to work more or progress in a career, because if your on 16k you are no better off earning more until you get to 25k plus,

So the idea of instead having a system of significantly increasing the min wage is very good because it incentiveises you to work, which is what this country is lacking,xxx

How does a part time or 0 hour contract mean they don't have to pay it?

They still have to pay it when you work

By *r reliable cardiffMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

I currently employ 2 people, a tradesman and a labourer. I pay my labourer the 'living wage' of £7.50 an hour, an the tradesmen £12.00. If I have to pay the labourer £9.00 an hour, then my tradesman will want more, £14 or £15 maybe? Then if they've both had a pay rise, why shouldn't I? So suddenly the average cost of the work we do has risen by £280 based on 40 hrs. If the government want to improve the standard of living in this country, try controling the number of cheap eastern European labour entering the country, and let the natural laws of supply an demand dictate wages.

"If I have to pay the labourer £9.00 an hour, then my tradesman will want more, £14 or £15 maybe?"

Then say no to him. It's not like he's entitled to a wage rise.

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

I'd like to see how the NHS will be able to afford the minimum wage. I temped for a few months and a lot of the jobs advertised are below the £9/hour.

Many large organisation have pay scales and this will surely upset their structure and cost a great deal to implement.

I'm a single parent and now on a decent wage but as my kids get older and I get less for child benefit and tax credits it is a struggle financially. My eldest is on a zero hour contract so his wages vary from week to week.

At least by the time he's 25 he'll benefit from the increased rate lol.

bristol

I've heard a lot of companies saying they will go under if a liveable wage is introduced ...I say bring it on and let's get rid of these businesses !

Cardiff

"If I have to pay the labourer £9.00 an hour, then my tradesman will want more, £14 or £15 maybe?

Then say no to him. It's not like he's entitled to a wage rise."

surely it's all relative though? My tradesman is worth £4.50 an hour more than my labourer, as he's obviously more skilled. So if the labourers money goes up, he'll expect his to, an rightfully so.

Will it be £9 per hour for every one or will companies just get cheap labour. Also I dont think this will come into affect until 2020 just before the next election so they will keep us hanging x

"I currently employ 2 people, a tradesman and a labourer. I pay my labourer the 'living wage' of £7.50 an hour, an the tradesmen £12.00. If I have to pay the labourer £9.00 an hour, then my tradesman will want more, £14 or £15 maybe? Then if they've both had a pay rise, why shouldn't I? So suddenly the average cost of the work we do has risen by £280 based on 40 hrs. If the government want to improve the standard of living in this country, try controling the number of cheap eastern European labour entering the country, and let the natural laws of supply an demand dictate wages. "

I've never employed anyone but

I often get labourers and other tradesmen in on larger jobs.

I've never ever managed to find "a decent" one for

100 for labourers

150 for tradesmen

I've had cheaper..... Never ever again, they cost you more repairing shit they've broke on the job.

So that's £12:50 an hour

And £16 an hour

I couldn't find a gas fitter doing day rates less than £200 a day before 2007 and to be honest it's back to that these days I've had several who want £250 a day

Cardiff

"I currently employ 2 people, a tradesman and a labourer. I pay my labourer the 'living wage' of £7.50 an hour, an the tradesmen £12.00. If I have to pay the labourer £9.00 an hour, then my tradesman will want more, £14 or £15 maybe? Then if they've both had a pay rise, why shouldn't I? So suddenly the average cost of the work we do has risen by £280 based on 40 hrs. If the government want to improve the standard of living in this country, try controling the number of cheap eastern European labour entering the country, and let the natural laws of supply an demand dictate wages. .

100 for labourers

150 for tradesmen

I've had cheaper..... Never ever again, they cost you more repairing shit they've broke on the job.

And £16 an hour

I couldn't find a gas fitter doing day rates less than £200 a day before 2007 and to be honest it's back to that these days I've had several who want £250 a day"

give us a job?!! Lol. Different parts of the country have different rates of pay. To be honest my boys have never had it so easy... They're on easy st. Both left other jobs ( paying less/ less guaranteed hrs) to work with me. But ultimately customers dictate how much a company can afford to pay. I put my rates up £5 per metre all across the board in January, an had to drop them again due to enquiries dropping off

"If I have to pay the labourer £9.00 an hour, then my tradesman will want more, £14 or £15 maybe?

Then say no to him. It's not like he's entitled to a wage rise. surely it's all relative though? My tradesman is worth £4.50 an hour more than my labourer, as he's obviously more skilled. So if the labourers money goes up, he'll expect his to, an rightfully so."

But he'd still be getting more than the labourter, a lot more. I'd love to be on that much an hour.

"I currently employ 2 people, a tradesman and a labourer. I pay my labourer the 'living wage' of £7.50 an hour, an the tradesmen £12.00. If I have to pay the labourer £9.00 an hour, then my tradesman will want more, £14 or £15 maybe? Then if they've both had a pay rise, why shouldn't I? So suddenly the average cost of the work we do has risen by £280 based on 40 hrs. If the government want to improve the standard of living in this country, try controling the number of cheap eastern European labour entering the country, and let the natural laws of supply an demand dictate wages. .

100 for labourers

150 for tradesmen

And £16 an hour

I couldn't find a gas fitter doing day rates less than £200 a day before 2007 and to be honest it's back to that these days I've had several who want £250 a day give us a job?!! Lol. Different parts of the country have different rates of pay. To be honest my boys have never had it so easy... They're on easy st. Both left other jobs ( paying less/ less guaranteed hrs) to work with me. But ultimately customers dictate how much a company can afford to pay. I put my rates up £5 per metre all across the board in January, an had to drop them again due to enquiries dropping off"

That's from Cheshire to London to Bristol where I am now.... And no that's not city centre London

Try doubling that

I hear you on prices but labour isn't my big one

I could buy complete heating system for a 3 bed semi in 2002 for £750 boiler, pipes, rads, fittings, everything

That's 1500 today minimum if you absolutely shop round

That's a 100% increase on materials.

I charged 2200 for new heating in 2002 today I'm charging 2700

Spot where my labour has gone, swallowed by materials and a smaller base of customers

This year is the first year I could increase prices I'm now charging 3300 for heating so I'm back to nearly same margin 14 years later

Cardiff

100 for labourers

150 for tradesmen

And £16 an hour

I couldn't find a gas fitter doing day rates less than £200 a day before 2007 and to be honest it's back to that these days I've had several who want £250 a day give us a job?!! Lol. Different parts of the country have different rates of pay. To be honest my boys have never had it so easy... They're on easy st. Both left other jobs ( paying less/ less guaranteed hrs) to work with me. But ultimately customers dictate how much a company can afford to pay. I put my rates up £5 per metre all across the board in January, an had to drop them again due to enquiries dropping off.

That's from Cheshire to London to Bristol where I am now.... And no that's not city centre London

Try doubling that

I hear you on prices but labour isn't my big one

I could buy complete heating system for a 3 bed semi in 2002 for £750 boiler, pipes, rads, fittings, everything

That's 1500 today minimum if you absolutely shop round

That's a 100% increase on materials.

I charged 2200 for new heating in 2002 today I'm charging 2700

Spot where my labour has gone, swallowed by materials and a smaller base of customers

This year is the first year I could increase prices I'm now charging 3300 for heating so I'm back to nearly same margin 14 years later"

I hear what your saying, an it's very true. The cost of lead for example has nearly quadrupled in 10 years, but the cost of installing it hasn't. I pay more per hr for the trade we are in than most do round this way. I don't know what the answer is to be honest, but when you have to pay someone a minimum wage of £9 per hour for sweeping a road for example, anyone who has had to train hard or go on to further education to obtain a certain job, is going to feel hard dine by if they're not on considerably more

Tell me about it copper pipe for the last five years you needed an app to keep up with prices!

Now if labour had been that volatile I'd have been rather irritable!

I've got a slight suspicion that they have a sneaky feeling that inflation will eat a large chunk of that increase and that inflation of materials will be far more problematic than labour!

I noticed today they were talking about what to do about productivity.... The UK,s is not good and getting worse, that is a far larger problem than higher wages but goes very much unnoticed in the bigger scheme of things that the public worry about

So who thinks it's a good/bad thing and why? I think it is up to the individual to have the necessary skills to be employable . We can hardly blame the government . Will consumers be happy paying higher prices for goods as a result of increased payroll costs . ? Everything you receive in life has to be paid for .Nothing is given to you on a plate . The majority of voters voted Conservative because they realised that they were the voice of common sense and agreed with their policies ."

What absolute bollocks. If voting was compulsory there would have been a different result. I believe there is a huge apathy amongst the working class voters.

Hertford

So who thinks it's a good/bad thing and why? I think it is up to the individual to have the necessary skills to be employable . We can hardly blame the government . Will consumers be happy paying higher prices for goods as a result of increased payroll costs . ? Everything you receive in life has to be paid for .Nothing is given to you on a plate . The majority of voters voted Conservative because they realised that they were the voice of common sense and agreed with their policies .

What absolute bollocks. If voting was compulsory there would have been a different result. I believe there is a huge apathy amongst the working class voters."

. . What is the definition of working class?. Nobody can complain about the election result if they could not be bothered to vote. For what reasons should voting be made compulsory?

I was under the impression it *was* the new minimum wage - since they have decided to change the name at the same time."

It will be the minimum wage for over 25 iirc

Cardiff

"Tell me about it copper pipe for the last five years you needed an app to keep up with prices!

I've got a slight suspicion that they have a sneaky feeling that inflation will eat a large chunk of that increase and that inflation of materials will be far more problematic than labour!

I noticed today they were talking about what to do about productivity.... The UK,s is not good and getting worse, that is a far larger problem than higher wages but goes very much unnoticed in the bigger scheme of things that the public worry about"

you could well be right about the inflation mate as it's been low for quite a while now. Personally I hope it doesn't go up too much, as most of my work is domestic ( about 90%) and tends to slow dramatically after a rise in inflation. I guess time will tell what effect a rise in minimum wage will bring

They added an additional 8% tax on any profits made by banks

Hertford

So who thinks it's a good/bad thing and why? I think it is up to the individual to have the necessary skills to be employable . We can hardly blame the government . Will consumers be happy paying higher prices for goods as a result of increased payroll costs . ? Everything you receive in life has to be paid for .Nothing is given to you on a plate . The majority of voters voted Conservative because they realised that they were the voice of common sense and agreed with their policies .

What absolute bollocks. If voting was compulsory there would have been a different result. I believe there is a huge apathy amongst the working class voters."

. If there is apathy amongst working class voters that might mean that support for the Conservative government was understated.

What absolute bollocks. If voting was compulsory there would have been a different result. I believe there is a huge apathy amongst the working class voters. . . What is the definition of working class?. Nobody can complain about the election result if they could not be bothered to vote. For what reasons should voting be made compulsory? "

To research my theory

"Tell me about it copper pipe for the last five years you needed an app to keep up with prices!

I noticed today they were talking about what to do about productivity.... The UK,s is not good and getting worse, that is a far larger problem than higher wages but goes very much unnoticed in the bigger scheme of things that the public worry aboutyou could well be right about the inflation mate as it's been low for quite a while now. Personally I hope it doesn't go up too much, as most of my work is domestic ( about 90%) and tends to slow dramatically after a rise in inflation. I guess time will tell what effect a rise in minimum wage will bring"

What I've found over the last 15 years or so.... Is that most customers simply can't afford the job they want doing, there literally skint until the end of the month and to be honest hardly anyone actually has money to build an extension or have a new kitchen... It's all added on the mortgage, with the hope that houses go up next year!... It's actually rather scary when you see what some folk have mortgages off

Last month I did a job for a couple who had a 600k mortgage on a 600k house and were talking about putting a 80k kitchen extension on the back...

What absolute bollocks. If voting was compulsory there would have been a different result. I believe there is a huge apathy amongst the working class voters.. If there is apathy amongst working class voters that might mean that support for the Conservative government was understated. "

They added an additional 8% tax on any profits made by banks "

They removed a banking levy that was based on total bank debts and that was designed to stop the banks taking on stupid Risks and replaced it with an 8% tax on uk generated profits! Which really didn't hinder them at all.

Of course when 3 of hsbcs chairman alone have donated nearly a million pounds to the Tory party in the last 6 years what do you really expect, one of them donated 200k to George Osborne alone

Derby

So you'll be making sure you leave your children absolutely nothing then? Even if you have a million quid in the bank when you die, you'll leave it to the state rather than bequeath it to your kids?

I'm sure price of everything will go up!!! I hate this country sometimes

So you'll be making sure you leave your children absolutely nothing then? Even if you have a million quid in the bank when you die, you'll leave it to the state rather than bequeath it to your kids? "

Were not leaving either of our children anything, were giving them a head start on life with knowledge and a decent education, and if they require money while we're alive that might be a possibility.

Everything else is up to them!

My personal money is going to a charity of my choice, my wife's a charity of her choice!

Derby

"Bad idea.

You cant sack someone if you lose work "

Yes you can, it's called redundancy.

Hertford

So you'll be making sure you leave your children absolutely nothing then? Even if you have a million quid in the bank when you die, you'll leave it to the state rather than bequeath it to your kids? .

Were not leaving either of our children anything, were giving them a head start on life with knowledge and a decent education, and if they require money while we're alive that might be a possibility.

My personal money is going to a charity of my choice, my wife's a charity of her choice!

"

. Is it fair to put charities before your children?

Derby

I noticed today they were talking about what to do about productivity.... The UK,s is not good and getting worse, that is a far larger problem than higher wages but goes very much unnoticed in the bigger scheme of things that the public worry about"

Lack of productivity is irrelevant if you're paying a low wage... you just employ someone else to make up the shortfall.

If your labour costs in a product are, say, 20%, and it takes 20people to make that product, employing another person will only add 1% to that product. If, however, you are forced to pay 40% more on labour (£6.50 to £9.00), then suddenly your labour costs increase to at least 28%... so you will try to increase productivity to reduce these costs back down to the original 20%. Some of this will be done by human productivity and efficiency, some by investment in more efficient techniques. The human efficiency gains may result in redundancies (unless you manage to make more and sell more for the same amount of labour), the investment may result in additional jobs involved in that investment.

You haven't paid enough attention OP.

It isn't the minimum wage, it's the living wage (though effectively will be as it will be compulsory) and it won't be £9 per hour until 2020. It will start at around £7.50 ish

By *etzPlayCouple  over a year ago

Southend

I think outsourcing British jobs to Indian should be illegal or have a 90% tax

bristol

"

. Is it fair to put charities before your children? "

its called personal choice ...you made the money and can spend it how you wish ..if you like a charity and wish to support them then why should you be denied that right ...too many children these days have a sense of entitlement

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"One thing I'm worried about is prices will go up to help pay for this, but people on benefits will have their money frozen and can't afford to buy food etc

I already can't afford to buy food when the kids are away. As a single disabled mum, the govt have screwed me over!"

I cook a meal from scratch every night, using fresh produce for two, for less than £3...sometimes I go wild and it costs a fiver.

Sadly, I doubt there'll be a rush to implement this. All that will happen will be an increase in zero hour contracts and younger people employed.

Weaken the unions, demonise those at the bottom whilst making aspirational promises. What's that old saying? Promises are comforts for fools?

"

That was enough for only the husband to work whilst the wife stayed home and looked after the house and kids.

The husbands wage covered all the costs of living and allowed the family to have a two week holiday every year.

Can anyone actually say we are better off now that wages have risen to a similar amount per hour?

Now it seems both the husband and the wife have to work full time just to make ends meet.

This relentless push for higher wages is self defeating as it just adds to the ever increasing spiral of costs.

Eventually it will be recognised that medieval man worked less hours per week for his Lord and master than the "free" men in today's society, that's not progress it is regression."

People are always welcome to stop buying shit.

I lived in my own one bedroom designer flat on just my student loan + some small freelance earnings. Well below this new minimum wage.

But people just want more stuff.

Yeh but when is the living wage to be implemented by!!! 2020

by that time we will be electing a new government who may change things again

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Yeh but when is the living wage to be implemented by!!! 2020

by that time we will be electing a new government who may change things again"

not quite.... 5 year fixed terms now... so we know next election will be on the 7th may 2020

Glasgow

A conversation on Radio 4 reveals a boss who responded to an increase in minimum wage by reducing staff hours by 30 minutes.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"if you think about the the jump to 9 isn't really that big....

if you think the minimum wage at the moment is 6.50.... in october it goes up to 6.70... then in april it become 7.20...

so if you think they have to go up from 7.20 to 9 in 4 years... its basically 45p per year for 4 years.....

why should that jump not be manageable?"

Fabio, it is not that the jump is not manageable, it is that those who on the top of the pile have become so greedy that they believe they have the right to everything and that those who actually create the wealth but do not own or run those enterprises are there to be exploited to the maximum.

"

Fabio, it is not that the jump is not manageable, it is that those who on the top of the pile have become so greedy that they believe they have the right to everything and that those who actually create the wealth but do not own or run those enterprises are there to be exploited to the maximum. "

The downtrodden plebs v the nasty capitalists.

Might it not be a little more complex than that?

"A conversation on Radio 4 reveals a boss who responded to an increase in minimum wage by reducing staff hours by 30 minutes."

If the alternative was making some of them redundant completely, that doesn't sound such bad option. After all, avoiding job losses is an argument being used for public sector pay restraint...

Hertford

"A conversation on Radio 4 reveals a boss who responded to an increase in minimum wage by reducing staff hours by 30 minutes.

If the alternative was making some of them redundant completely, that doesn't sound such bad option. After all, avoiding job losses is an argument being used for public sector pay restraint..."

. As a result of this new legalisation some workers in retail might lose their staff discounts and share option schemes. Tesco staff have a pension , rights to share options a pension scheme and staff discounts . As times are tough in retail and consumers will not necessarily pay extra , a side effect of these new rules is that staff may lose their perks .

"

Eventually it will be recognised that medieval man worked less hours per week for his Lord and master than the "free" men in today's society, that's not progress it is regression.

People are always welcome to stop buying shit.

I lived in my own one bedroom designer flat on just my student loan + some small freelance earnings. Well below this new minimum wage.

But people just want more stuff."

I think they call it consumerism

The entire world revolves around it, I don't think your plan will catch on, God knows I've tried. but people love buying shit and other people love selling shit and other people love making shit

"One thing I'm worried about is prices will go up to help pay for this, but people on benefits will have their money frozen and can't afford to buy food etc

I already can't afford to buy food when the kids are away. As a single disabled mum, the govt have screwed me over!

I cook a meal from scratch every night, using fresh produce for two, for less than £3...sometimes I go wild and it costs a fiver.

Sadly, I doubt there'll be a rush to implement this. All that will happen will be an increase in zero hour contracts and younger people employed.

Weaken the unions, demonise those at the bottom whilst making aspirational promises. What's that old saying? Promises are comforts for fools?"

Fresh food costs alot more than cheap food, you can buy 20 sausages from Iceland for 1 pound... Granted it will cost the nhs billions in treating you after years of eating that shit but hey.... Big business don't pay for the nhs... You do

So you'll be making sure you leave your children absolutely nothing then? Even if you have a million quid in the bank when you die, you'll leave it to the state rather than bequeath it to your kids? .

. Is it fair to put charities before your children? "

Your right but what else do I do with it, they won't let you get buried with these days, the emission level on cremation with it is terrible, so charity it is.

I've already wrote mine into my will. UNICEF get 70% RNLI 30%.

I'm pretty sure those two charity's will use it wiser than my two kids

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

Weaken the unions, demonise those at the bottom whilst making aspirational promises. What's that old saying? Promises are comforts for fools?.

Fresh food costs alot more than cheap food, you can buy 20 sausages from Iceland for 1 pound... Granted it will cost the nhs billions in treating you after years of eating that shit but hey.... Big business don't pay for the nhs... You do"

You can also buy a bigger bag of basics carrots for 89p.

Food cost is not the problem, education is, some people have simply never learned how to cook decent meals cheaply.

Mr ddc

Weaken the unions, demonise those at the bottom whilst making aspirational promises. What's that old saying? Promises are comforts for fools?.

Fresh food costs alot more than cheap food, you can buy 20 sausages from Iceland for 1 pound... Granted it will cost the nhs billions in treating you after years of eating that shit but hey.... Big business don't pay for the nhs... You do

Food cost is not the problem, education is, some people have simply never learned how to cook decent meals cheaply.

Mr ddc"

You can buy a whole sack of horse carrots from a farm for £5.

But nobody does, that's why there £5

Mr ddc"

I don't disagree with you Mr D but

Buying, preparing and cooking decent food takes time... Lots of time, that's why women didn't work years ago, because running a house was a full time job.

Don't get me wrong we've got all the modern time saving appliances

I grow alot of veg through hobby along with some Appenzell's.

But it isn't cheap or quick.

Bloody tastes fantastic though

Derbyshire

"

Buying, preparing and cooking decent food takes time... Lots of time, that's why women didn't work years ago, because running a house was a full time job.

"

But often, the one thing poor people have is time.

Even when I used to get in at 10pm after working 15hrs, I have always cooked myself proper food. I am the master of the 15min, under a fiver, meal

Fresh food costs alot more than cheap food, you can buy 20 sausages from Iceland for 1 pound... Granted it will cost the nhs billions in treating you after years of eating that shit but hey.... Big business don't pay for the nhs... You do"

You can buy a kilo of veg from every super market for a pound too in the frozen section.

It's even washed chopped and prepared for you too.

Mr ddc.

"

It doesn't take much time at all :/

Stir fry 10 mind tops.

Stew or soup or any sauce based dish can be chucked in a slow cooker.

Chicken and veg 30 mins.

Any pasta dish 30 mins

By *ack LondonMan  over a year ago

London

Nothing in life is fair!

Derbyshire

"

Stir fry 10 mind tops.

Chicken and veg 30 mins.

Any pasta dish 30 mins"

I inherited my mum's pressure cooker, so even chicken thighs and the cheaper cuts of beef cook in under 20mins.

And if you cook loads, tomorrow's dinner is already ready (and tastes better the following day after all the flavours have mixed for longer)

"

Stir fry 10 mind tops.

Chicken and veg 30 mins.

Any pasta dish 30 mins

I inherited my mum's pressure cooker, so even chicken thighs and the cheaper cuts of beef cook in under 20mins.

And if you cook loads, tomorrow's dinner is already ready (and tastes better the following day after all the flavours have mixed for longer)"

I do my work meals for the week on a Monday.

"

Stir fry 10 mind tops.

Chicken and veg 30 mins.

Any pasta dish 30 mins

And if you cook loads, tomorrow's dinner is already ready (and tastes better the following day after all the flavours have mixed for longer)"

Some of the poorest people I've met work 60-70hrs a week there just not paid alot.

So yeah I grow my own veg and have chickens but that's because I'm well off and have a big back garden, we also have a big kitchen, with a dishwasher and lots of cupboards for space like food processors, slow cookers, pressure cookers, double oven, double sink, more cupboards with spice tracks, salt pepper, more cupboards with various pans and Woks, all flat bottomed iron ones, they have to be to work on the new fandangled induction hob we have.

Because I only work 35-40 hrs a week because I'm fortunately paid better and I have all these gadgets I often find the 2 hrs required to dig up some veg from the back garden, peel, prepare and wash them before processing them and cooking them down into a nice homemade soup and I then bung what's left over into the freezer, which has plenty of space as it's one of those big American ones before settling down to do some homework with my kids!

Of course if I didn't have a freezer or a dishwasher or a double sink or a food processor, slow cooker, pressure cooker but instead could only afford a microwave....I could just buy pea and ham or carrot and coriander from aldi for £1:69, takes 4 minutes and requires no washing up! Or freezing or processing....

And that would be handy as I wouldn't even get in from work till 7pm.

And after 12hrs in a physical job(they usually pay the worst) all day....a bag of veg just ain't going to do it!

Derbyshire

"

Stir fry 10 mind tops.

Chicken and veg 30 mins.

Any pasta dish 30 mins

And if you cook loads, tomorrow's dinner is already ready (and tastes better the following day after all the flavours have mixed for longer).

Some of the poorest people I've met work 60-70hrs a week there just not paid alot.

So yeah I grow my own veg and have chickens but that's because I'm well off and have a big back garden, we also have a big kitchen, with a dishwasher and lots of cupboards for space like food processors, slow cookers, pressure cookers, double oven, double sink, more cupboards with spice tracks, salt pepper, more cupboards with various pans and Woks, all flat bottomed iron ones, they have to be to work on the new fandangled induction hob we have.

Because I only work 35-40 hrs a week because I'm fortunately paid better and I have all these gadgets I often find the 2 hrs required to dig up some veg from the back garden, peel, prepare and wash them before processing them and cooking them down into a nice homemade soup and I then bung what's left over into the freezer, which has plenty of space as it's one of those big American ones before settling down to do some homework with my kids!

Of course if I didn't have a freezer or a dishwasher or a double sink or a food processor, slow cooker, pressure cooker but instead could only afford a microwave....I could just buy pea and ham or carrot and coriander from aldi for £1:69, takes 4 minutes and requires no washing up! Or freezing or processing....

And after 12hrs in a physical job(they usually pay the worst) all day....a bag of veg just ain't going to do it!"

I lived in a caravan, with a two ring gas hob.

I didn't turn out too badly

They say you should never judge until you have walked in mile in their shoes.

Trust me, I have walked that mile.

And more.

"

Stir fry 10 mind tops.

Chicken and veg 30 mins.

Any pasta dish 30 mins

And if you cook loads, tomorrow's dinner is already ready (and tastes better the following day after all the flavours have mixed for longer).

And after 12hrs in a physical job(they usually pay the worst) all day....a bag of veg just ain't going to do it!

I lived in a caravan, with a two ring gas hob.

I didn't turn out too badly

They say you should never judge until you have walked in mile in their shoes.

Trust me, I have walked that mile.

And more."

I know Mr D

I was born on a rough council estate in south Manchester, my dad worked long hours, nobody in my neighbourhood let alone my house went to university, my old man still works today and he's 77, still lives in the Same council house, still smokes, eats cheap food and spends the odd fiver in the bookies... He's not stupid, he's just not had the easiest of lives, but he's luckier than his brother, he died at 47 from a life time working in the asbestos mill at £2:15 hour, his son died of mesothelioma at 27 , his dad brought the shit home on his work clothes and bounced him on his knee after work before eating his Iceland meals, he wasn't stupid either. In fact my cousin was the brightest of all my family, he made it from a council estate in Manchester to the heights of a good job in London before his lungs were eaten away.

My auntie died 3 years ago of mesothelioma she hung on for five years with it, she got it from washing my uncles work clothes.

I made it out of that council estate with hard work and some good luck, we all worked hard but some didn't have the good luck I did!

I'm not particularly well off, have a small kitchen with an oven and hob, a small fridge, and a back garden with a few veg. I manage to put dinner on the table from garden or cupboard to plate in under 30 mins every night. Really simple food. And calorific enough to make up for the large amount of activity I do. And vegetarian. In our house we proberbly eat for about £25 a week max between two of us, and we eat really well.

But the fact is that I was taught to cook. Those from a background of poverty have often lost those skills. So telling them to just cook some food from scratch is pointless, because many people have simply never been taught how to.

"But the fact is that I was taught to cook. Those from a background of poverty have often lost those skills. So telling them to just cook some food from scratch is pointless, because many people have simply never been taught how to."

There isn't an excuse - any idiot with a phone has access to YouTube and a billion step-by-step recipes.

"But the fact is that I was taught to cook. Those from a background of poverty have often lost those skills. So telling them to just cook some food from scratch is pointless, because many people have simply never been taught how to.

There isn't an excuse - any idiot with a phone has access to YouTube and a billion step-by-step recipes."

and if you're in poverty you most likely have an ancient phone and no real Internet connextion.

This isn't "a bit poor", this is poverty.

However my very bright ex couldn't cook, no matter how many recipe books, websites or YouTube channels he used. It was only when I started teaching him from scratch that he learned. Everything from using sharp knives properly to boiling pasta. Previous to me he lived on pizza and microwave lasagne - or went to his mums.

Derby

"A conversation on Radio 4 reveals a boss who responded to an increase in minimum wage by reducing staff hours by 30 minutes."

And I bet that those staff are still producing the same amount... an immediate increase in productivity...

"Bad idea.

"

Having worked for a local authority your business rates don't go directly into the council's coffers. They are given back to central government and then redistributed to all authorities on a per head basis in the rsg.

» Add a new message to this topic