FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > UK sight seeing

UK sight seeing

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'm looking to go on a few weekend breaks in August/September traveling on a Friday and returning Sunday possibly Monday, I'd like places with history like Stonehenge, Roman ruins, See/Stay in Castles etc, Or places with great views,

I would be driving and would like to stay as close as it's possibly to these places,

Where would you go/recommend ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Lulworth Cove

Whitby to Filey coastline,

Beautiful places and loads of history, well worth a look

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

depends on where the chocolate factory is i suppose

If you do stonehenge, make sure to take in the white horses..... avebury stone circle isn't that far away either and worth a visit too.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Bath is beautiful

York castle would easily take up a whole day to get round (it's not free though). If you only drive through there you'd see the castle wall and some thing that people can climb up (idk what it is).

"Whitby to Filey coastline,

Beautiful places and loads of history, well worth a look"

I live in Scarborough, the Castle's lovely. Whitby Abby's nice, as is York and Robin Hood's Bay

My homeland The Isle Of Man

"York castle would easily take up a whole day to get round (it's not free though). If you only drive through there you'd see the castle wall and some thing that people can climb up (idk what it is)."

Do you mean the city walls?

I live in Scarborough, the Castle's lovely. Whitby Abby's nice, as is York and Robin Hood's Bay "

Was there in the camper last week, weather was outstanding, loved it

Scarbados is genius

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

There is a ton of history in York, from Roman right up to, well, yesterday. Can't dig in your garden without unearthing a chariot or trove these days.

We also have a Chocolate Museum.

Bambrough and Seahouses in Northumberland is really beautiful.

I live in Scarborough, the Castle's lovely. Whitby Abby's nice, as is York and Robin Hood's Bay

Was there in the camper last week, weather was outstanding, loved it

Scarbados is genius "

Yeah, it's a pretty town a certain fabster visited me at the weekend and he couldn't believe how beautiful it was.

"If you do stonehenge, make sure to take in the white horses..... avebury stone circle isn't that far away either and worth a visit too."

Avebury is more interesting

"York castle would easily take up a whole day to get round (it's not free though). If you only drive through there you'd see the castle wall and some thing that people can climb up (idk what it is).

Do you mean the city walls?"

There's like a 'pyramid' there that was covered in kids when i went, best way i can describe it. I did get told what it is but forgot.

Luton!

"York castle would easily take up a whole day to get round (it's not free though). If you only drive through there you'd see the castle wall and some thing that people can climb up (idk what it is).

There's like a 'pyramid' there that was covered in kids when i went, best way i can describe it. I did get told what it is but forgot."

Cliffords Tower. It's a motte and bailey (Norman tower on a hill). There used to be a matching one across the river but that's just a motte now.

Salisbury is nice, Canterbury too.

There's like a 'pyramid' there that was covered in kids when i went, best way i can describe it. I did get told what it is but forgot.

Cliffords Tower. It's a motte and bailey (Norman tower on a hill). There used to be a matching one across the river but that's just a motte now."

Yeah. I just checked on google and it's that. I love York, wanted to live there at one point.

Beautiful places and loads of history, well worth a look"

and not too far from us either (hint hint hehe)xx

By *anxfrankMan  over a year ago

isle of man

Isle of man

Ok, so Marc and I are a bit of a nerdy couple when it comes to this stuff. We aren't originally from the UK, so castles and such are kind of something we do as a hobby, all the time! We actually have English Heritage and National Trust maps up in our house marking off the various ancient sites and castles we have gone to.

I am not sure where you have already been, but my recommendation would be to get a week (or a year) pass with English Heritage and take a trip up to the North. There are amazing things to see in Northumberland and up that way. Hadrian's Wall is also a great thing to do for a few days.

If you do decide to do Stonehenge and the like (which was nice, but not my favorite) it would still be worth it to get yourself an English Heritage map (and a pass since entrance is so costly you may as well buy a year pass) and start ticking off the sites you would like to see. They don't have everything, but they have amazing sites. They have events on their website too, if you look. Marc and I actually slept over in Dover Castle for one of their special events that we found on their website.

I hope that helps and wasn't waayyyy too much information

-Courtney

Northumberland is lovely and well worth exploring

Cragside - lovely estate in village of Rothbury. First house to be lit by hydro electricity. Fantastic butcher's in village with great sausages - Cragside Crackers

Holy Island and Lindisfarne

Lovely coastal areas

Bamburgh Castle and the Grace Darling Museum

Hadrian's Wall

Loads to see

"If you do stonehenge, make sure to take in the white horses..... avebury stone circle isn't that far away either and worth a visit too.

Avebury is more interesting"

I think so too

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Come to Glastonbury, OP, I'll show you some local delights :P

Do Edward's fortresses

Conwy, Caernarfon, Beaumaris and Harlech and stay in beautiful Snowdonia

Love to visit holy island, but read they don't allow motorhomes, but thinking once the tides in!!!

"Has it, I didn't notice, sorry", haha

"Love to visit holy island, but read they don't allow motorhomes, but thinking once the tides in!!!

"Has it, I didn't notice, sorry", haha"

I''ll come with you

Staying on the Island is lovely and is a very different place when the Causeway is closed

used to visit for work and I have had my wheels washed on the Causeway on a stormy day

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

"depends on where the chocolate factory is i suppose "
Terrys, Of york.

derby

"York castle would easily take up a whole day to get round (it's not free though). If you only drive through there you'd see the castle wall and some thing that people can climb up (idk what it is)."
Plus york minster.

By *lashheartMan  over a year ago

shrewsbury

Some great ideas here. Fancy this myself

By *uzy444Woman  over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

"If you do stonehenge, make sure to take in the white horses..... avebury stone circle isn't that far away either and worth a visit too.

Avebury is more interesting"

the great sanctuary at the top of the avenue is even older, west kennet long barrow and silbury hill too.

the barge inn at alton barnes is the camp site, right next to the canal and is great for the crop circle crowd if you are into those..an eclectic mix of people..great part of the world x

"depends on where the chocolate factory is i suppose Terrys, Of york. "

Nope, closed down and is now being converted into flats. Nestle is still going though.

"Luton!"

......as a hatter!

Thank you for your suggestions,

Maybe a Day/night in York then across to

Scarborough for my first weekend away as it's only a 2-3 drive,

Before a trip down south,

By *tevelizCouple  over a year ago

northampton

"I'm looking to go on a few weekend breaks in August/September traveling on a Friday and returning Sunday possibly Monday, I'd like places with history like Stonehenge, Roman ruins, See/Stay in Castles etc, Or places with great views,

I would be driving and would like to stay as close as it's possibly to these places,

Where would you go/recommend ? "

are you a member of Ntional trust or English heritage?

By *o30Woman  over a year ago

Lincoln

Lincoln has a castle, cathedral and some good historical place, I've lived here a few years now & still occasionally find something new

"I'm looking to go on a few weekend breaks in August/September traveling on a Friday and returning Sunday possibly Monday, I'd like places with history like Stonehenge, Roman ruins, See/Stay in Castles etc, Or places with great views,

Where would you go/recommend ? are you a member of Ntional trust or English heritage?"

No but I will look into it

Where would you go/recommend ? are you a member of Ntional trust or English heritage?

No but I will look into it"

I'm now a member

derby

"depends on where the chocolate factory is i suppose Terrys, Of york.

Nope, closed down and is now being converted into flats. Nestle is still going though."

Sorry to hear that

Thou it was back in july 1981 when away on holiday the terrys factory looked a high building and was just down the Road Across thee other side of the road going More into york, I was with my parents at the time and stayed in a cosy victorian or perhaps Earlier cottage, I can remember seeing The terrys sign through the trees, lots of greenery then, it was very hot weather and in those days always had a fishing rod and tackle handy, my parents dropped me off one day to fish in this pool, they went to york races, I remember catching a nice perch but nothing else it was far to hot, while There we visited the shambles, and the Minster,remember the wall I found the whole area steeped in history I love Anything like that with a bit of greenery and character present.

"Plus york minster."

Ooh yeah you gotta see this at night time, really nice.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Bodiam Castle is very picturesque although I'm not convinced it's not a fortified Manor House, myself.

The Roman Palace at Bosham is pretty good too.

Dover Castle is well worth a visit, as are the castles in North Wales.

"Bath is beautiful "

But no where near as beautiful as you

Symonds Yat in the Forest of Dean is beautiful. They have log cabins near there with hot tubs. Some castle ruins nearby too.

Stratford upon Avon - loads to see. Lots of Shakespeare related and Anne Hathaway's cottage. Or Warwick Castle - although it's expensive. Have Dungeons there with actors etc too.

Cirencester , Bath are both good for Roman ruins. Depends which route you take around the UK.

I like Eastnor CaStle near the Malverns too. Still lived in but interesting and they have a great fireworks competition.

My top tip :

Start your tour at Dewsbury. Everywhere else is then a bonus regardless.

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

There's 2 castles within a 10 minute walk of my house. Another about a 10 minute drive and canterbury cathedral a bit further away..

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

Quite a few castles here in Sunny Wales and lots of history

"Bodiam Castle is very picturesque although I'm not convinced it's not a fortified Manor House, myself.

The Roman Palace at Bosham is pretty good too.

Dover Castle is well worth a visit, as are the castles in North Wales. "

I have been to Conway castle a few times but not since I was child, I have also stayed in Ruthin castle for a weekend

"depends on where the chocolate factory is i suppose Terrys, Of york.

Nope, closed down and is now being converted into flats. Nestle is still going though."

Can visit what was the Terrys family home now though

derby

"Symonds Yat in the Forest of Dean is beautiful. They have log cabins near there with hot tubs. Some castle ruins nearby too. Yes stayed there on holiday with parents in cottage, we had a roost of pipitstrelle bats in the roof, watched them leave at night and return in the morning about 100 in all, beautiful scenery we looked down on symonds yat, famous for the peregrines, we could see in the far distance the black hills of wales, what an Incredible Country we have for habitat, terrain,how everything evolved over Millenium.

Stratford upon Avon - loads to see. Lots of Shakespeare related and Anne Hathaway's cottage. Or Warwick Castle - although it's expensive. Have Dungeons there with actors etc too.

Cirencester , Bath are both good for Roman ruins. Depends which route you take around the UK.

I like Eastnor CaStle near the Malverns too. Still lived in but interesting and they have a great fireworks competition.

"

derby

"There's 2 castles within a 10 minute walk of my house. Another about a 10 minute drive and canterbury cathedral a bit further away.. "
I visited Canterbury cathedral on a day visit they were looking after some medievil glass They had taken out before putting back into the walls some kind of restoration was in hand several hundred years old, and one of the show pieces was to see Thou you Had to look up was the black knights Sword in its scabbard and alongside Was a half moon could have been made of gold, brought back from the crusades, these Items both hung from the Ceiling painted in a blue sky and gold stars from the medievil period..

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

"There's 2 castles within a 10 minute walk of my house. Another about a 10 minute drive and canterbury cathedral a bit further away.. I visited Canterbury cathedral on a day visit they were looking after some medievil glass They had taken out before putting back into the walls some kind of restoration was in hand several hundred years old, and one of the show pieces was to see Thou you Had to look up was the black knights Sword in its scabbard and alongside Was a half moon could have been made of gold, brought back from the crusades, these Items both hung from the Ceiling painted in a blue sky and gold stars from the medievil period.. "

I go to canterbury a fair bit but last time I went to the cathedral was over 20 years ago when I was at school! It's not included in the English heritage membership but I'll have to take my lad at some point.

derby

"There's 2 castles within a 10 minute walk of my house. Another about a 10 minute drive and canterbury cathedral a bit further away.. I visited Canterbury cathedral on a day visit they were looking after some medievil glass They had taken out before putting back into the walls some kind of restoration was in hand several hundred years old, and one of the show pieces was to see Thou you Had to look up was the black knights Sword in its scabbard and alongside Was a half moon could have been made of gold, brought back from the crusades, these Items both hung from the Ceiling painted in a blue sky and gold stars from the medievil period..

I go to canterbury a fair bit but last time I went to the cathedral was over 20 years ago when I was at school! It's not included in the English heritage membership but I'll have to take my lad at some point. "

I hope he enjoys his visit there when the time comes if he likes history I,m sure he will..

"Do Edward's fortresses

Conwy, Caernarfon, Beaumaris and Harlech and stay in beautiful Snowdonia "

Great suggestion .Loads of history around this way. X

"If you do stonehenge, make sure to take in the white horses..... avebury stone circle isn't that far away either and worth a visit too."

Book a room in the red lion pub which is within Avebury stone circle.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Have you got National Trust or English Heritage membership?

I pick somewhere I want to see using my membership and then plan the trip around that. You can end up in some strange places but if you plan it with a Fab tour too then you get to meet some Fab locals.

Where would you go/recommend ? "

Clearly not driveable unless you have a submersible car, but one of my best breaks was in Guernsey. The historical sites on that island are just amazing. The bus around the island costs about a quid and there are so many places to see that cost nothing. Fairy hills, magic caverns, World War II defences. An amazing place.

Peak District

"Have you got National Trust or English Heritage membership?

I pick somewhere I want to see using my membership and then plan the trip around that. You can end up in some strange places but if you plan it with a Fab tour too then you get to meet some Fab locals.

"

So ending up in strange places with strange people then!

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

"There's 2 castles within a 10 minute walk of my house. Another about a 10 minute drive and canterbury cathedral a bit further away.. I visited Canterbury cathedral on a day visit they were looking after some medievil glass They had taken out before putting back into the walls some kind of restoration was in hand several hundred years old, and one of the show pieces was to see Thou you Had to look up was the black knights Sword in its scabbard and alongside Was a half moon could have been made of gold, brought back from the crusades, these Items both hung from the Ceiling painted in a blue sky and gold stars from the medievil period..

I go to canterbury a fair bit but last time I went to the cathedral was over 20 years ago when I was at school! It's not included in the English heritage membership but I'll have to take my lad at some point. "

Everywhere on the Isle of Wight is English Heritage & if you shop at Tesco can use your points for the ferry

By *mwstaffsMan  over a year ago

brownhills

Ironbridge gorge for industrial , wroxeterfor rRoman Shrewsbury for medieval and oswestry for iron age is a good area , couple of castles and ruined a bbeys as well as home of Olympics in much we block close by

By *mwstaffsMan  over a year ago

brownhills

Grrr wenlock

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

" Are you a member of National Trust or English Heritage?

I'm now a member

"

Well done, that's deffo the best plan, and for anyone else thinking of it, English Heritage do 15months for the price of 12, so you get 2 summers for 1 if you join now.

We have taken the tent and done almost every single site, and many National Trust ones too. So many happy memories, so many interesting days.

Going international this year.

Mr ddc

If you're going to visit London, I'll happily show you around

"Come to Glastonbury, OP, I'll show you some local delights :P"

It's full of witches & wizards ! Then once a year its populated by over half of England! Beautiful place though

" Are you a member of National Trust or English Heritage?

I'm now a member

Well done, that's deffo the best plan, and for anyone else thinking of it, English Heritage do 15months for the price of 12, so you get 2 summers for 1 if you join now.

We have taken the tent and done almost every single site, and many National Trust ones too. So many happy memories, so many interesting days.

Going international this year.

Mr ddc"

You're soooo sensible Mr DDC

If you come to North Wales we have it all. Castles a plenty,gorgeous beaches , fantastic mountains to roam. Its a beautiful place

By *istressZoeTV/TS  over a year ago

cheshire

Edinburgh has it all x stunning city x

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

On the other side of the a303 from Stonehenge there's pighenge and a bit further away they are building industrial unit henge

By *onyneMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

"There is a ton of history in York, from Roman right up to, well, yesterday. Can't dig in your garden without unearthing a chariot or trove these days.

We also have a Chocolate Museum. "

A short favourite poem...

I went to the railway museum at York

there were lots of trains

But it was quicker to walk

» Add a new message to this topic