FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Clothes sizes how to really upset the vulnerable!!

Clothes sizes how to really upset the vulnerable!!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ex-a-frolics OP   Couple  over a year ago

Brizzle

We had the task of buying a Superdry jacket for a teenage girl. The girl is very slim probably size 10 at most. We bought a medium adults, but it was very quickly returned as it was way too small. She is now a proud but unhappy owner of an adults X large coat, both her & her mother are very to say the least. I'm sure most women are conscious of their size but teenage girls especially. Yes we know it's supposedly a Japanese company but their Hq is in Cheltenham. Why oh why has there to be such ambiguity between manufacturers, could a more standardised system not be put in place?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have a large Superdry jacket - am usually a medium - but an XL would be way too big for Elle (who's a size 10)

Cut the size label out and she'll be none the wiser.

I seriously doubt that's the case. I am a size 8-10 and I fit into their small size of jackets and things. Their small is a 34" chest, about a size 10. Their large is about 38" inches which means their XL must be about a 40" chest measurement.

Someone with a 40" chest measurement is not a size 10 in most shops.

Perhaps she needs to wear clothes that fit her rather than clothes that she wants to fit her?

By *allipygousMan  over a year ago

Leicester

Maybe people should be conscious of their size.

I've yet to read one of those massive weight loss stories where someone just decided to do it.

It's always as a result of something along the lines of not being able to go on a ride at the fair, seeing how much they've gained from an old photo, partner dumping them for someone not so big, that kind of stuff.

Our population is getting fatter and it ain't down to having big bones.

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

"Maybe people should be conscious of their size.

I've yet to read one of those massive weight loss stories where someone just decided to do it.

It's always as a result of something along the lines of not being able to go on a ride at the fair, seeing how much they've gained from an old photo, partner dumping them for someone not so big, that kind of stuff.

Our population is getting fatter and it ain't down to having big bones."

4 and a bit stone isn't massive weight loss yet but I just woke up one day and decided to do it. No catalyst, no lightbulb moment. Curiosity was the driving factor if anything.

"We had the task of buying a Superdry jacket for a teenage girl. The girl is very slim probably size 10 at most. We bought a medium adults, but it was very quickly returned as it was way too small. She is now a proud but unhappy owner of an adults X large coat, both her & her mother are very to say the least. I'm sure most women are conscious of their size but teenage girls especially. Yes we know it's supposedly a Japanese company but their Hq is in Cheltenham. Why oh why has there to be such ambiguity between manufacturers, could a more standardised system not be put in place?"

You did buy a woman's not a man's right? :p

There normally has to be a trigger point though to get you motivated to change the way you are. For me it was when clothes didn't fit and I refused to go up another size.

4 and a bit stone isn't massive weight loss yet but I just woke up one day and decided to do it. No catalyst, no lightbulb moment. Curiosity was the driving factor if anything."

Well done for doing it.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"We had the task of buying a Superdry jacket for a teenage girl. The girl is very slim probably size 10 at most. We bought a medium adults, but it was very quickly returned as it was way too small. She is now a proud but unhappy owner of an adults X large coat, both her & her mother are very to say the least. I'm sure most women are conscious of their size but teenage girls especially. Yes we know it's supposedly a Japanese company but their Hq is in Cheltenham. Why oh why has there to be such ambiguity between manufacturers, could a more standardised system not be put in place?"

Never buy Chinese lingerie from eBay then

Leicester

4 and a bit stone isn't massive weight loss yet but I just woke up one day and decided to do it. No catalyst, no lightbulb moment. Curiosity was the driving factor if anything."

4 and a bit stone is close enough to a massive weight loss. That's half a young person!

Well done you. And I sincerely mean that.

I know the feeling. Even when I was at my skinniest (8.5 stone at 5'3"), I had to buy an XL to get a good fit. One of the main reasons why I don't buy online. I hope your young friend can overlook the label that's inside her jacket, and be proud of her body. x

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

Super dry is a UK business that started off as one man on a market stall...

Leicester

There normally has to be a trigger point though to get you motivated to change the way you are. For me it was when clothes didn't fit and I refused to go up another size."

Yeah, I get that about the trigger point and the desire has to come from within.

Some just delude themselves though. And the enablers don't help either.

Sizes do vary in shops and there is a harsh and cruel view point in the fashion industry that only a size 10 woman is healthy. A size 14 in some shops is considered plus size. And in some places a size large barely fits a size 12.

I am very insecure about my body and I always have been. These things don't help anyone. Particularly teenage girls. It's hard enough without the label in your jacket judging you.

Yes some over weight people are unhealthy. Some are miserable. Some slim people are equally unhealthy or miserable too though.

"Sizes do vary in shops and there is a harsh and cruel view point in the fashion industry that only a size 10 woman is healthy. A size 14 in some shops is considered plus size. And in some places a size large barely fits a size 12.

I am very insecure about my body and I always have been. These things don't help anyone. Particularly teenage girls. It's hard enough without the label in your jacket judging you.

Yes some over weight people are unhealthy. Some are miserable. Some slim people are equally unhealthy or miserable too though.

"

Remove the label and throw it in the bin. That'll teach it not to judge you.

"Sizes do vary in shops and there is a harsh and cruel view point in the fashion industry that only a size 10 woman is healthy. A size 14 in some shops is considered plus size. And in some places a size large barely fits a size 12.

"

I can see why size 14 is classed as.large though. It is..I'm average height and of average build and at size 14 I'm very much over weight. That is fact. why should shops pretend otherwise?

"Super dry is a UK business that started off as one man on a market stall..."

...and has sod all to do with Japan.

By *adybee77Woman  over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

I lost 18 stone - I chose to leave my husband, and my weight was one of the changes I felt I needed to make to get happier in myself. I've gone from a size 26 to a size 10. So people do get there just because they decide to.

As for clothing sizes - I don't care about the label, I got for what fits well - which is why I have dresses from a size 6 up to a 12 in my wardrobe - because they fit well.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Guys get the Rae deal as many of their jeans list the size on the outside. Imagine the boycotting that would occur if our women's gear had external size labels on display!

I can see why size 14 is classed as.large though. It is..I'm average height and of average build and at size 14 I'm very much over weight. That is fact. why should shops pretend otherwise?"

Hope you dont mind but I looked at your latest pic and in my opinion you are not large. Im large at a size 20

Take her shopping in America, that'll make her feel a whole lot better!

Leicester

I can see why size 14 is classed as.large though. It is..I'm average height and of average build and at size 14 I'm very much over weight. That is fact. why should shops pretend otherwise?

Hope you dont mind but I looked at your latest pic and in my opinion you are not large. Im large at a size 20"

I may be wrong but going on what she said previously you're looking at the 'after' pics.

That doesn't Make sense my 36ffs fit in a L... So Sorry but no if she's a size 10 in a xl you've got a faulty superdry

» Add a new message to this topic