FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > House clearance ...

House clearance ...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My brother in law passed away a couple of weeks ago, and today we have to hand back the keys to his flat.

Spent all weekend emptying the property and it makes you realise how little of worth we actually have

A small tv and a sky box, plus a few tools seems to sum it up ...

The local refurbishment service only wanted a few white goods, so all the furniture, bed, sofa, table and chairs have had to go to the recycle centre (aka council dump), along with small electricals, pots and pans and so on.

Charity shops just aren't interested in these things

What a waste

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

It's eye opening when you see how little material goods really matter in the long run. It's much more about the memories isn't it. Clearing someone's possessions and seeing how little they mean to strangers is sad, I'm sorry that you've experienced this.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Sounds like a difficult weekend. When my Nan went into a Home, I found it incredibly hard to sort through a lifetime of possessions. Deciding what to keep and what to let go.

Maybe the council recycle the furniture ? They do, where I live. Sell it at a reduced cost.

Well done though on getting it all sorted. No easy task.

In a similar situation I've found the memories sparked by items of little or no financial value contain the greatest worth too me...

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I know someone who is good at house clearances, but you ain't seen me, roight

"My brother in law passed away a couple of weeks ago, and today we have to hand back the keys to his flat.

Spent all weekend emptying the property and it makes you realise how little of worth we actually have

The local refurbishment service only wanted a few white goods, so all the furniture, bed, sofa, table and chairs have had to go to the recycle centre (aka council dump), along with small electricals, pots and pans and so on.

What a waste "

Oh no so sorry to hear this..

On a separate note, if anyone else goes through this, please consider contacting a food bank. The people who attend there really are in need, and are so grateful to receive. I know my local food bank always have people with literally nothing, pots and pans, furniture etc, is really appreciated by these people

"My brother in law passed away a couple of weeks ago, and today we have to hand back the keys to his flat.

What a waste

Oh no so sorry to hear this..

On a separate note, if anyone else goes through this, please consider contacting a food bank. The people who attend there really are in need, and are so grateful to receive. I know my local food bank always have people with literally nothing, pots and pans, furniture etc, is really appreciated by these people "

a great idea about the food bank

However his ex (who retained a key) managed to not only empty the fridge freezer ... But took that too

"Sounds like a difficult weekend. When my Nan went into a Home, I found it incredibly hard to sort through a lifetime of possessions. Deciding what to keep and what to let go.

Maybe the council recycle the furniture ? They do, where I live. Sell it at a reduced cost.

Well done though on getting it all sorted. No easy task. "

unfortunately the council weren't interested in the furniture at all .. too much effort it seems !

Plus they wanted £15 per item if they were to remove it themselves

Puttin an ad on your local Facebook freebay site is always a great way to get stuff to people who need it. There's always someone in need or want of almost everything you have

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

"Puttin an ad on your local Facebook freebay site is always a great way to get stuff to people who need it. There's always someone in need or want of almost everything you have"

That's all very well but unless you have the space in your own home or can afford to pay for storage, when you're on a strict time limit (like the OP having to hand the keys back around now), you don't have time to list these things and wait for people to arrange to collect them.

I remember when my Nan died and we were literally left with about a week or so to clear out her apartment (and that was while also trying to arrange a funeral). x

"Puttin an ad on your local Facebook freebay site is always a great way to get stuff to people who need it. There's always someone in need or want of almost everything you have

That's all very well but unless you have the space in your own home or can afford to pay for storage, when you're on a strict time limit (like the OP having to hand the keys back around now), you don't have time to list these things and wait for people to arrange to collect them.

I remember when my Nan died and we were literally left with about a week or so to clear out her apartment (and that was while also trying to arrange a funeral). x"

From experience people generally come within a day or two tops. As cold as it sounds for an instance like this, just saying in such an as all needs to be gone by X day is usually enough to start the ball rolling. It's better than it ending up in the tip

"Puttin an ad on your local Facebook freebay site is always a great way to get stuff to people who need it. There's always someone in need or want of almost everything you have

I remember when my Nan died and we were literally left with about a week or so to clear out her apartment (and that was while also trying to arrange a funeral). x

From experience people generally come within a day or two tops. As cold as it sounds for an instance like this, just saying in such an as all needs to be gone by X day is usually enough to start the ball rolling. It's better than it ending up in the tip"

it IS a good idea, but unfortunately there is just so little time to try and tidy and organise things in the property, with everything else that needs doing, whilst still having to go to work, without having to try and deal with people calling around

Someone had posted on FB that they were wondering if anyone was seeking a washing machine ... We tried to sort this with them, but they then offered to clear the flat for free taking the lot

not as if they couldn't have offered anything ....

At least some has gone to be refurbished, and waiting on cash4clothes to call in this morning to take the last bits.

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law OP. I hope you get the furniture stuff sorted.

By *ricerMan  over a year ago

Stockton-on-Tees

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, it must have been difficult for you.

I actually love doing house clearances, but it's Damn hard work, and emotional if the occupants were related! I find the houses of older people rather interesting, but in modern times a basic clearance will find little of value as you've found - everything is disposable or replaceable these days, and despite the initial costs of acquiring possessions the value depreciates rapidly! It's a shame, but sadly it's modern life!!

By *ertiVogtsMan  over a year ago

Exeter

"It's eye opening when you see how little material goods really matter in the long run. It's much more about the memories isn't it. Clearing someone's possessions and seeing how little they mean to strangers is sad, I'm sorry that you've experienced this."

It really is about the memories isn't it?I spent 5 months travelling in India and only brought back memories.Absolutely priceless..

Made a massive £14 from clothes4cash.

Speaking with them it would seem that the demand for their service is declining quite fast and a number of centres are closing.

They're stopping home collections too as it's not economic for them to send their vans out

By *icky999Man  over a year ago

warrington

Take only memories, leave only foot prints.

I own a telly, haven't even got a dog to eat me

"Take only memories, leave only foot prints.

I own a telly, haven't even got a dog to eat me "

It's cats you have to be worried about

By *immy2xMan  over a year ago

aberdeen/inverness/ highlands

Its allways a hard time this. I used to work for a firm clearing out deceased estates as there called. The jobs varied often we actually charged for the clearance . Other times we paid the eztate. Jyzt depended on the goods. Sometimes was very interesting stuff, like the obe medal and par hment signed by king george 6 we aquired at one house. Or the bubble car at another. But in the main, the general run of mill homes it really is suprisung what the resell value is of many goods, after all we had to make a profit on top.

The most suprising and sad thing we found was how some relatives couldnt give a damn about ghe oersonal possesions like letters and paperwork and photographs etc, so many times they couldnt care about the persons life just in getting the place emptied and kn the market to sell.

It makes you understand as someobe allready said its memories that count and people, spend your life with people that want to spend it with you, give your possesions in your will to your friends not your relatives unless there your friends too.

When nan went up the chimney she left a load of old chunky Victorian furniture and some lovely art deco stuff but all I wanted was a cheap old box of dominoes that we used to sit and play on a Sunday afternoon, the bastards had binned them before I could get up there, still pisses me off now.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

My aged stepfather has recently, to general surprise, bought some kind of kindle. My first action upon seeing him with it, was to pop into their kitchen, get a post it note and to write my name on it before sticking it on the back.

» Add a new message to this topic