FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Eldely should do community work or lose pension

Eldely should do community work or lose pension

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ot monkey71 OP   Couple  over a year ago

middlesbrough

In my _iew this guy should be sectioned under the mental health act.

Lord Bichard, an ex-chief of the Benefits Agency, said the elderly should get rewards and fines to make sure they are taking a more active part in the world.

This was taken from the Telegraph.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

But it's a very sensible proposal. If you work a pensioner into an early grave, not only will they contribute to the economy, but also save the country money on pension and infrastructure provision.

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

"In my _iew this guy should be sectioned under the mental health act.

Lord Bichard, an ex-chief of the Benefits Agency, said the elderly should get rewards and fines to make sure they are taking a more active part in the world.

This was taken from the Telegraph."

My grandad worked from 14-75.. I think he was active enough for long enough

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Depends on the ability of the person not everyone ages the same

Why not stop handouts to people that won't work and leave the people that have worked and paid for everything they have in life

Bristol

"Depends on the ability of the person not everyone ages the same"

Some might also say that having worked all their lives, expecting pensioners to return to work in order that they not starve to death is perhaps a touch cruel.

Bristol

"Why not stop handouts to people that won't work and leave the people that have worked and paid for everything they have in life"

Pensions dwarf unemployment benefits, of course.

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman  over a year ago

West Midlands

Pensioners HAVE contributed ffs

I'm all for encouraging and helping the older generation get out and stay active but Jesus Christ what a silly cunt thing to suggest.

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

"Why not stop handouts to people that won't work and leave the people that have worked and paid for everything they have in life"

Indeed ..

And every work shy drug taker and alcoholic can sit on their arse doing f/all

"Depends on the ability of the person not everyone ages the same

Some might also say that having worked all their lives, expecting pensioners to return to work in order that they not starve to death is perhaps a touch cruel.

"

The thing is people don't work all their lives anymore do they?

When pensions were set at 60 most people didn't live much past that now days there are more people over 85 in the uk than under 16 years old, everyone's living longer, but people still want to retire at 60/65 while a hell of a lot are living into their 90s, now days if you leave school at 18 and work till your 60 yet live till your 90 you have actually worked for less years that you have not worked and the country simply can not afford to keep people for so many years after retirement

So retirement ages go up and you have to keep yourself for longer if you want to live longer

I'm not saying I agree with making old people work but they are the simple facts

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

ive heard the saying ' there is no such thing as bad press' but this may just be testing that theory a tad too far !!

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

Many people work past pension age already

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

Well, that took some chasing down!

Story is from 2012, is one man's (ex Brent Council leader) suggestion to a committee, his _iews were widely dismissed as nonsense, and the chap concerned was made a peer by Gordon Brown.

Still, good to see the facts still aren't getting in the way of political discussions/scaremongering on here

Mr ddc

By *andy_tomMan  over a year ago

wolverhampton

"And every work shy drug taker and alcoholic can sit on their arse doing f/all"

well said ,

Bristol

When pensions were set at 60 most people didn't live much past that now days there are more people over 85 in the uk than under 16 years old, everyone's living longer, but people still want to retire at 60/65 while a hell of a lot are living into their 90s, now days if you leave school at 18 and work till your 60 yet live till your 90 you have actually worked for less years that you have not worked and the country simply can not afford to keep people for so many years after retirement

So retirement ages go up and you have to keep yourself for longer if you want to live longer

I'm not saying I agree with making old people work but they are the simple facts"

No, the country absolutely can afford to keep people for so many years after retirement. We can also afford to pay nurses a living wage, to build decent schools, to give yopung people housing benefits, and a million other things that we supposedly can't afford to do.

We are a RICH country. We CHOOSE, instead of doing those other things, to subsidise wars in other countries, to subsidise tax breaks for the wealthy, to artificially push house prices up, to purchase redundant nuclear deterrents.

So, in short, we choose to be an ugly society, rather than a decent one.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

i think the pension should be means tested.

also, those that live permanently abroad, should not get a pension at all

(grabs tin hat and hides)

Kent

"Many people work past pension age already"

Yes and I've many saying that it's not on as it stops jobs becoming available for school/college/uni leavers and the unemployed..

If there were any coal mines left, we could get them hauling the coal. Save on the cost of looking after the ponies.

No reason why they could not work at McDonalds.

Or, alternatively, we could accept that we too will retire one day with dignity and a well-deserved desire to be cared for.

Bristol

Hey, don't swallow all the propaganda man, you're not leaving any for the rest of us!

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman  over a year ago

West Midlands

Walk in a drug adicts shoes for a week

Most wish to be different

It's easy to think these people have a choice

But in reality many do not

And I was almost murdered by one

So I wasn't a fan

But now I am a volunteer with adicts to help them get back to a life that's better for them

"i think the pension should be means tested.

(grabs tin hat and hides) "

Do people who no longer live in this country get a UK state pension?

At least when i retire at 67 (prob more by that time) i know i've done my bit and paid for my own pension to live comfortable more than can be said for a lot of people,why i sometimes work 48hr weeks to pay them.

I'm not saying I agree with making old people work but they are the simple facts"

My God your maths needs some sorting!!!!! 18-60 is forty two years of contributing. 60-90 I'd only 30 of drawing pension. So they are not simple facts!!!!

"

And would take jobs away from the yoof who are desperately seeking hard work to get themselves off benefits and out of ladbrooks and pubs.

every addict that wants to get away from it has my full support but some will never and won't even try,some even get more money than people that work.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

Do people who no longer live in this country get a UK state pension? "

yes, all the retired ex pats get full pensions

I'm not saying I agree with making old people work but they are the simple facts

My God your maths needs some sorting!!!!! 18-60 is forty two years of contributing. 60-90 I'd only 30 of drawing pension. So they are not simple facts!!!!"

You forgot the 18 years not working before they started. Add to 30 yrs after = 48. 18 to 60 working is 42. So nothing wrong with their maths, or mine. Check your own?

Kent

Do people who no longer live in this country get a UK state pension? "

If they paid into the system all their lives while working I dont see why they shouldn't..

If they paid into the system all their lives while working I dont see why they shouldn't.. "

Kent

I thought retirement age has gone up to 65 now anyway??

I left school at 16, I can draw state pension at 66, that's FIFTY years I will have been contributing, I only hope I live until 106 years, then I'll be a pensioner longer than a worker

My God your maths needs some sorting!!!!! 18-60 is forty two years of contributing. 60-90 I'd only 30 of drawing pension. So they are not simple facts!!!!

You forgot the 18 years not working before they started. Add to 30 yrs after = 48. 18 to 60 working is 42. So nothing wrong with their maths, or mine. Check your own?"

Under 18s draw pension do they? Wow and I thought their parents kept them

My God your maths needs some sorting!!!!! 18-60 is forty two years of contributing. 60-90 I'd only 30 of drawing pension. So they are not simple facts!!!!"

Blimey that was a very bitchy and hostile people on these forums are just getting so nasty lately

Now re read what I actually out, I said you have worked for less years than you have not worked

Think about i won't hold my breath for an apology

"I thought retirement age has gone up to 65 now anyway?? "
I've been told i have to work till im 67,but can't see that happening in my job.

You forgot the 18 years not working before they started. Add to 30 yrs after = 48. 18 to 60 working is 42. So nothing wrong with their maths, or mine. Check your own?

Under 18s draw pension do they? Wow and I thought their parents kept them"

Your just going out your way to be rude to people now

Child benefit?

Kent

She didn't say they Drew pensions..

Child benefit?"

Nobody mentioned what benefits you get I simple said if you start work and 18 and retire at 60 you have worked for less years than you have no worked

Which you do if you live into your 90

Some just come on here looking for stuff to pick on its a bit tedious

Child benefit?"

My parents got six shillings a week for me and my father paid that back in tax. Are you really comparing child benefit which is taxed now to the state pension?

You forgot the 18 years not working before they started. Add to 30 yrs after = 48. 18 to 60 working is 42. So nothing wrong with their maths, or mine. Check your own?"

Well pedantically yes, but do many paper rounds come with a final salary scheme?

"But it's a very sensible proposal. If you work a pensioner into an early grave, not only will they contribute to the economy, but also save the country money on pension and infrastructure provision."

Raise retirement age to 75 then make them do 50 hours a week community service. Oldies don't sleep much and there's sod all on the telly. They'll love it.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Seems a rum idea.

Child benefit?

Nobody mentioned what benefits you get I simple said if you start work and 18 and retire at 60 you have worked for less years than you have no worked

Some just come on here looking for stuff to pick on its a bit tedious

"

So I should just accept someone telling me that paying into my state pension for 50 years doesn't entitle me to draw a pension without working for it. I wish I had paid into a personal pension for that long, I would be laughing.

BTW the average life expectancy for a woman in the UK currently is 82.5 years. So I can draw my state pension for 16.5 years, woop de woo!!!

By *andy_tomMan  over a year ago

wolverhampton

"In my _iew this guy should be sectioned under the mental health act.

This was taken from the Telegraph."

there keeping the undertakers happy , as they cant live on there pension, in the winter times they have to choose betwean eating or heating ,

I think everyone on JSA should have to do community work to entitle them to the benefit.

"I think everyone on JSA should have to do community work to entitle them to the benefit. "

Kent

"I think everyone on JSA should have to do community work to entitle them to the benefit. "

Can't do that as they say you can't be looking for work while doing other things.. I wanted to go back to college to do a fitness trainer/gym instructor course in September when my lad starts at school but was told that if I did that I wouldn't be able to claim benefit as I wouldn't be looking for work (even though it was only a 2 day a week course)

"I think everyone on JSA should have to do community work to entitle them to the benefit.

Can't do that as they say you can't be looking for work while doing other things.. I wanted to go back to college to do a fitness trainer/gym instructor course in September when my lad starts at school but was told that if I did that I wouldn't be able to claim benefit as I wouldn't be looking for work (even though it was only a 2 day a week course) "

That's shitty

"I think everyone on JSA should have to do community work to entitle them to the benefit.

Can't do that as they say you can't be looking for work while doing other things.. I wanted to go back to college to do a fitness trainer/gym instructor course in September when my lad starts at school but was told that if I did that I wouldn't be able to claim benefit as I wouldn't be looking for work (even though it was only a 2 day a week course) "

That's absolutely ridiculous!!! When do they think working people look for other jobs?!! In their pissing spare time, evenings/weekends etc. who the hell spends 9-5 Monday to Friday looking for work?! They could do community work 9-12, one hour lunch, then 1-4 job hunting!?

"Nobody mentioned what benefits you get I simple said if you start work and 18 and retire at 60 you have worked for less years than you have no worked

Which you do if you live into your 90"

Where did you get 60 as state retirement age? The current age is 65, gradually increasing for the next thirty years.

It has been 65 for men since state pensions were introduced in 1948

Kent

Can't do that as they say you can't be looking for work while doing other things.. I wanted to go back to college to do a fitness trainer/gym instructor course in September when my lad starts at school but was told that if I did that I wouldn't be able to claim benefit as I wouldn't be looking for work (even though it was only a 2 day a week course)

That's absolutely ridiculous!!! When do they think working people look for other jobs?!! In their pissing spare time, evenings/weekends etc. who the hell spends 9-5 Monday to Friday looking for work?! They could do community work 9-12, one hour lunch, then 1-4 job hunting!? "

I know! So now instead of training for a career Im going back to my part time dead end job serving people sausage rolls and cheese!

I think the other argument I saw somwhere once as well was that if they were getting the unemployed to work doing these jobs then people that actually got paid to do them would gradually see their hours drop where companies tried to cut wages as they could get JSA claimants to work for free. Like council gardeners, street cleaners, that sort of thing.

Blimey that was a very bitchy and hostile people on these forums are just getting so nasty lately

Now re read what I actually out, I said you have worked for less years than you have not worked

Think about i won't hold my breath for an apology

"

you are basing that on made up figures. I started work at 16, I can draw state pension at 66, life expectancy for me is 82.5 years. I will pay in for 50 years, 16 years not working as a child and 16.5 drawing a pension, that's 32.5 years not working. Making up your own figures and calling them facts is the problem here, not that I pointed out the error

"Well, that took some chasing down!

Story is from 2012, is one man's (ex Brent Council leader) suggestion to a committee, his _iews were widely dismissed as nonsense, and the chap concerned was made a peer by Gordon Brown.

Still, good to see the facts still aren't getting in the way of political discussions/scaremongering on here

Mr ddc"

Mr ddc

"

As always the most sensible post on a thread by far got lost in a barrage of people shouting out their (often misguided) _iews on both sides

Mr ddc

As always the most sensible post on a thread by far got lost in a barrage of people shouting out their (often misguided) _iews on both sides "

That's entirely what the forums are for silly, taking some obscure bit of news and blowing it up, completely obscuring the context, adding in a few anomalous "facts" of our own and then stomping off in a huff

yes, all the retired ex pats get full pensions"

Not strictly correct. In most cases they do but there is the odd weird anomaly.

IIRC certain places eg civilised Canada of all places, ex-pat pensioners do not get the full, if indeed any, annual increase in pensions. Yet many do.

yes, all the retired ex pats get full pensions"

That they have paid into whilst working!!! Why should something you have paid for be means tested? Feckless, lazy arsed fuckers who sit on their arses all day doing fuck all will still 'retire' with a modest level of income because of means tested benefits. However you are suggesting they should be treated the same as people who have grafted all their lives?

Yes we have an ageing population and if people want to work past retirement age that should be a personal choice.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Pensioners HAVE contributed ffs "

All of them?

It was a daft article from years ago.

Have a look at the Centre for Ageing Better. They are more holistic but keeping active through working in some way (voluntary or paid) is part of their remit.

"I thought retirement age has gone up to 65 now anyway?? "

66, 67 and 68 depending on year of birth.

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

Pensioners do not get back pound for pound what they paid in - they get more and that difference has to be paid by someone.

I always chuckle when I hear a pensioner talk about stopping benefits for other people.

If someone worked for an average salary or below during 40s, 50s, 60s & 70s - they wouldn't pay in ten years what they now get out in one year when you add in the inflated pension, winter fuel payments, assissted living payments and TV license.

If the government can cut benefit payments and have the full expectation that people can live off that then why can't pensioners take a cut too?

And not all pensioners have worked all of their lives. I don't know why they should be treated any differently to anyone else.

And when they brought out sanctions for the unemployed, we knew they'd go for the disabled too, and they did. We said it'd be the pensioners next.

Doesn't anybody learn anything from what they did last time they were in? They put up the state pension by 10p so that pensioners lost their income support and that was worth £30.

They'll do it. Guaranteed. Suprised they told anyone before the election though.

Vote Conservative "do the right thing" lol. Your lives have no value to them, they don't care unless they're making money off you, they are fucked in the head, all of them.

It's because of disabled transgender immigrants. I read it on a leaflet the local MP shoved through the door. I'm voting for him.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

yeah why not, lazy bingo player buggers........

"It's because of disabled transgender immigrants. I read it on a leaflet the local MP shoved through the door. I'm voting for him. "

They don't need to cut pensions looking at half the comments in here actually.

Instead of forming something positive where the pensions can't be cut, say protest or petition or anything, look at all the comments saying take from someone else instead. Look at how your treating other human beings- who have nothing to do with this decision by the way -treating them like they deserve nothing and should be taken from.

Well how shit are some humans really? They can rationalise anything evil enough when they want to.

Stop taking from those who had nothing in the first place! Stop taking from ALL vulnerable, don't just pick and choose who loses everything and who doesn't, ffs...

Improve humanity by being compassionate and being a good example to future generations and don't let the few run our lives, and your lives, because politicians and all these kaisers don't live in our circles, they don't have to put up with all the social after effects of these cuts - we do. Or am i living in a hell bubble where theft crime only went up round here, and violence has gone up, and people are going hungry?

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

"Many people work past pension age already"

my hubby should have retired 5 years ago but cant afford to

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

[Removed by poster at 14/04/15 18:53:03]

"It's because of disabled transgender immigrants. I read it on a leaflet the local MP shoved through the door. I'm voting for him. "

I'm voting for him to be put naked in a pit and to be allowed to be stoned by pensioners. I suspect he would come out without any votes but unharmed.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

My mother is 72 and volunteers for the National Trust. It always annoys me that politicians assume that people do not contribute after retirement. Its patronising.

By *oole2010Couple  over a year ago

southampto

"Nobody mentioned what benefits you get I simple said if you start work and 18 and retire at 60 you have worked for less years than you have no worked

Where did you get 60 as state retirement age? The current age is 65, gradually increasing for the next thirty years.

It has been 65 for men since state pensions were introduced in 1948 "

Yep thats right and it was based on the fact that about 47 percent of the population died before reaching that age Now its just 16 percent hence raising the retirement age so we can die before claiming

And thats what all successive governments banked on they apent all the extra cash that should have been put away

That's absolutely ridiculous!!! When do they think working people look for other jobs?!! In their pissing spare time, evenings/weekends etc. who the hell spends 9-5 Monday to Friday looking for work?! They could do community work 9-12, one hour lunch, then 1-4 job hunting!? "

If you're on JSA you have to spend (and prove you did this) 40 hours a week looking for work, or do 'job training' schemes (which is basically work you don't get paid for). Or you get sanctioned.

» Add a new message to this topic