FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Puppies/dogs and the law

Puppies/dogs and the law

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Iv just read a horrific story and wondered if anyone was clued up on laws concerning puppies/dogs?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Vague request is vague.

Main one is dog must be under control at all times.

Are you talking about the control of dogs act etc?

If s dog is off the lead and runs and jumps up, is it ok to kick them so hard they fly up in the air!?

By *oward1978Man  over a year ago

Rotherham

"If s dog is off the lead and runs and jumps up, is it ok to kick them so hard they fly up in the air!? "

Sure why not. Sounds like fun! We could start a whole new craze

This is animal cruelty, I can't think it is ever acceptable to kick any animal, unless it was attacking some one but then I'd still question their methods

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"If s dog is off the lead and runs and jumps up, is it ok to kick them so hard they fly up in the air!? "

It might help if you give a few more details.

A dog on the attack does not get preferential legal treatment to the human under attack.

A dog being kicked and abused is protected under the law.

"This is animal cruelty, I can't think it is ever acceptable to kick any animal, unless it was attacking some one but then I'd still question their methods"

I thought the same.. Animal cruelty.

No didn't attack anyone.

Rotherham

I think if it's genuinely attacking you, you can do whatever it takes to subdue the animal. Whatever force necessary.

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

Animal welfare act 2006 is one of the main pieces of legislation protecting most animals.....it's not exactly light reading in full but the main points are fairly clear

Probably not as it's animal cruelty but the onus is to be responsible and not have your dog off lead in public places. I always have mine on a lead when out even though he's as soft as shit but other people don't know that.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Ermmm I'd say no to kicking it so hard it goes up in the air...there are far more effective and more humane ways of getting a dog away from attack mode...

"If s dog is off the lead and runs and jumps up, is it ok to kick them so hard they fly up in the air!?

A dog on the attack does not get preferential legal treatment to the human under attack.

"

From what I have read.. A puppy was in a field (like they do)

Running around (like they do)

A man arrives with 2 boys roughly 3 or 4 years of age.

The puppy runs up to them (like they do)

The man then kicks the puppy so hard it flies up into the air

"If s dog is off the lead and runs and jumps up, is it ok to kick them so hard they fly up in the air!?

I think if it's genuinely attacking you, you can do whatever it takes to subdue the animal. Whatever force necessary."

It wasn't attacking anyone

My mum and dad lives by a canal and the boaters are nightmares for leaving their dogs off the lead.

Probably not as it's animal cruelty but the onus is to be responsible and not have your dog off lead in public places. I always have mine on a lead when out even though he's as soft as shit but other people don't know that. "

On the lead even in a field ?

No, it fucking isnt!!. sickos

The man then kicks the puppy so hard it flies up into the air "

I'd kick him so hard in the fucking balls...animal cruelty absolutely boils my piss there is no need for it...

Rotherham

I think if it's genuinely attacking you, you can do whatever it takes to subdue the animal. Whatever force necessary.

It wasn't attacking anyone"

If it's just kind of playfully jumping up at you then there's nothing you can do other than have a word with the owner. Tell them they should maybe keep the dog on a lead.

New dangerous dog laws came in fairly recently. Even a dog on your own property can be considered dangerous and be put down if a court agrees it's dangerous. Animals do have a lot less rights than people, we do eat them after all.

Out of control

Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

injures someone

makes someone worried that it might injure them

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview

A puppy? bastard. hope they throw the book at him. hes obviously not a animal lover and his poor children must have wondered what was going on. hes not teaching them how to treat animals.

I'd kick him so hard in the fucking balls...animal cruelty absolutely boils my piss there is no need for it... "

Me too!!

I'd kick him so hard in the fucking balls...animal cruelty absolutely boils my piss there is no need for it... "

me too

"New dangerous dog laws came in fairly recently. Even a dog on your own property can be considered dangerous and be put down if a court agrees it's dangerous. Animals do have a lot less rights than people, we do eat them after all.

Out of control

injures someone

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview"

Make someone worried !!! FFs people will think they can hurt animals even more now

"New dangerous dog laws came in fairly recently. Even a dog on your own property can be considered dangerous and be put down if a court agrees it's dangerous. Animals do have a lot less rights than people, we do eat them after all.

Out of control

injures someone

Make someone worried !!! FFs people will think they can hurt animals even more now "

Most people love animals and wouldn't hurt them, the above is more to give people protection from stupid animal owners.

By *inkxRabbitWoman  over a year ago

Wok-ish Horsell temporarily

I don't know where you all walk your dogs but my daft ten year old dogs are off lead all the time, as are all the other dogs!

They do have to be microchipped and wearing a collar with their address on it.

Anybody who'd kick my dogs would find themselves in court.

My youngest dog, a chihuahua aged 18 months is a little devil though. He's never off lead, I put him in a red harness marked CAUTION and on a red lead. People still try to touch him. Grrrrr

Dogs are not dangerous it's some of the fucking owners who are dangerous

I haven't seen this report. The size of puppy, the ferocity of it's approach, the danger to the children and many other factors COULD mean that this is not seen as animal cruelty.

For a case of cruelty intent may also need to be proved. Protecting the children in the face of an apparent attack would trump a claim of animal cruelty.

"I don't know where you all walk your dogs but my daft ten year old dogs are off lead all the time, as are all the other dogs!

My youngest dog, a chihuahua aged 18 months is a little devil though. He's never off lead, I put him in a red harness marked CAUTION and on a red lead. People still try to touch him. Grrrrr "

Does he go for people when they go to stroke him?

That's disgusting

I would like to kick that prick up in the air the sick twisted prick then volley as he comes back down!

"This is animal cruelty, I can't think it is ever acceptable to kick any animal, unless it was attacking some one but then I'd still question their methods"

Err you ever tried to stop a dog attack there's a story where guy had to stab the living hell out of one to stop with so much force one knife bent an d another broke.

Kicking a dog if it's ripping into some isn't even going to get it to stop and think in most cases

Dogs are nails.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

If dogs are around other humans they should be on a lead, there was nothing funny about the dog jumping up to "play" when I had bloody stitches in my stomach

"This is animal cruelty, I can't think it is ever acceptable to kick any animal, unless it was attacking some one but then I'd still question their methods

Err you ever tried to stop a dog attack there's a story where guy had to stab the living hell out of one to stop with so much force one knife bent an d another broke.

Kicking a dog if it's ripping into some isn't even going to get it to stop and think in most cases

Dogs are nails."

He obviously wasn't attacking anyone then for the man to kick him and halt him in the air

"That's disgusting

I would like to kick that prick up in the air the sick twisted prick then volley as he comes back down!

"

And what would you be saying if we were sat here discussing how a 3 year old child was going to be disfigured for life after a dog chewed half his face?

I bet you'd be saying something similar about the dog owner.

And you know what else pisses me off...people selling their Pets on bloody facebook

"This is animal cruelty, I can't think it is ever acceptable to kick any animal, unless it was attacking some one but then I'd still question their methods

Dogs are nails.

He obviously wasn't attacking anyone then for the man to kick him and halt him in the air"

What do you expect the man to do when there's a uncontrolled dog running at his child squat down and bonk it on the nose?

Sad as it is kicking it is the safest thing for the human to do cause it's a lot more force and if it does grab you at least it's only a foot you're gonna lose rather than a hand.

The lesson to be learned here is control your dog's and surprisingly parents put the lives of their children ahead of the well being of your dog.

I notice you don't say what happened to the dog I'm guessing it foot up and ran back to its owner pretty much unharmed beyond a bit of bruising.?

Dogs are nails.

He obviously wasn't attacking anyone then for the man to kick him and halt him in the air"

OP, I can't find a story online of a man kicking a puppy in the air where two children are involved.

There are plenty of horrific stories of puppies being kicked by cruel men, mostly those who own them.

How are you certain that this particular puppy was not at least appearing to be ready to attack the children?

Our dog jumps up to greet us and anyone coming through the front door. When out he has only jumped up to us, his family and friends, when playing. If he jumped up to strangers he would be in trouble as they don't know his intent.

Some people are well over the top when it comes to protecting their kids, some dog owners are shit at training their dogs. We wasn't there so won't know if it was cruelty or not, or if there was any actual threat or not.

It is cruel to kick a dog, but obviously it's not that black and white overall. The dog could have been about to bite their kid, the dad might be a dickhead, could be anything really.

Had a tiny dog go after one of my kids once, my dog stood right in front of it to stop it going near him, was well proud of her that day and how loyal she was to us.

Dogs are nails.

He obviously wasn't attacking anyone then for the man to kick him and halt him in the air

OP, I can't find a story online of a man kicking a puppy in the air where two children are involved.

There are plenty of horrific stories of puppies being kicked by cruel men, mostly those who own them.

How are you certain that this particular puppy was not at least appearing to be ready to attack the children?

Our dog jumps up to greet us and anyone coming through the front door. When out he has only jumped up to us, his family and friends, when playing. If he jumped up to strangers he would be in trouble as they don't know his intent.

"

It's local and only happened today.

They put it on book face to spread the word.

"That's disgusting

And what would you be saying if we were sat here discussing how a 3 year old child was going to be disfigured for life after a dog chewed half his face?

I bet you'd be saying something similar about the dog owner.

"

probably yes, if the dog had chewed his face, it hadn't, it was a puppy all he had to do was push it away, not kick the thing in the air!

Dogs are nails.

They put it on book face to spread the word. "

Risky move depending on if the police get involved they could be finding themselves in court or the dog put down.

Dogs are nails.

They put it on book face to spread the word. "

I assume you mean the puppy's owners put it on their FaceBook rather than the parent of the children? Without both sides of this I wouldn't rush to say it's animal cruelty.

As I said about the size of the puppy, the fear for the children etc. would all come into play.

Some puppies are enormous but some of the smaller ones can be snappy/biters too. An untrained puppy heading towards small children can be scary.

Out of control

injures someone

Make someone worried !!! FFs people will think they can hurt animals even more now "

You're aware that same kind of law applies to humans too via the public order act. And also when your driving via section 51 (driving in a manner which may cause distress or alarms to other road users) get to of them and they take your car off you.

Self defence laws as well are based around what it is reasonable that the victim believed was about to happen or happening not what actually happened.

Dogs are nails.

I assume you mean the puppy's owners put it on their FaceBook rather than the parent of the children? Without both sides of this I wouldn't rush to say it's animal cruelty.

As I said about the size of the puppy, the fear for the children etc. would all come into play.

Some puppies are enormous but some of the smaller ones can be snappy/biters too. An untrained puppy heading towards small children can be scary.

"

Even a small dog or puppy biting a child's face is gonna lead to long term potentially life long problems for that child.

Dogs are nails.

What do you expect the man to do when there's a uncontrolled dog running at his child squat down and bonk it on the nose?

Sad as it is kicking it is the safest thing for the human to do cause it's a lot more force and if it does grab you at least it's only a foot you're gonna lose rather than a hand.

The lesson to be learned here is control your dog's and surprisingly parents put the lives of their children ahead of the well being of your dog.

I notice you don't say what happened to the dog I'm guessing it foot up and ran back to its owner pretty much unharmed beyond a bit of bruising.?"

A bit of brushing! Could have damaged the puppies insides, ribs who knows.

The dog just lay there until owner went to it. It can't sit properly and yelps when you touch it.

Rotherham

Like has already been said it's never acceptable to beat or kick an animal. Only if the animal attacks someone or looks like it could, should force be used to subdue the animal.

But is there any need to kick a puppy into the air?? If it was my kids I would protect them by shoving it away, as its a puppy, I can take nips and snaps form a puppy, I wouldn't kick it so hard it goes flying, I am sure by the time you shove it away the owner would have had it back under control!

but yes maybe before I seen red, but still, no need to kick the poor thing with such force it flies!

No.And if someone did that to my girls,they'd be dead.end of.

Dogs are nails.

I notice you don't say what happened to the dog I'm guessing it foot up and ran back to its owner pretty much unharmed beyond a bit of bruising.?

The dog just lay there until owner went to it. It can't sit properly and yelps when you touch it.

"

What's the vet said?

Dogs are nails.

"

I was sitting on a park bench first time out after my op, from nowhere a dog bounded up and jumped at my stomach ripping the stitches half out, it wasn't a dangerous breed, what would have happened if I'd been a child or it had ripped my stomach completely open?

Dogs are nails.

Even a small dog or puppy biting a child's face is gonna lead to long term potentially life long problems for that child."

Our dachshund puppy goes out in the field across the road from us, he doesn't go on a lead, never has over in the field. Never will. (different places he goes on a lead until it's out of the way to let him off)

If a bloke saw fit to kick my puppy, I'd see fit to kick him square in the bollocks

The dog should have been under control.

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

poor little puppy makes me cross when humans hurt any animal

"But is there any need to kick a puppy into the air?? If it was my kids I would protect them by shoving it away, as its a puppy, I can take nips and snaps form a puppy, I wouldn't kick it so hard it goes flying, I am sure by the time you shove it away the owner would have had it back under control!

but yes maybe before I seen red, but still, no need to kick the poor thing with such force it flies!"

From what Iv read the guy didn't do anything to protect his kids (picking them up etc)

Rotherham

"But is there any need to kick a puppy into the air?? If it was my kids I would protect them by shoving it away, as its a puppy, I can take nips and snaps form a puppy, I wouldn't kick it so hard it goes flying, I am sure by the time you shove it away the owner would have had it back under control!

but yes maybe before I seen red, but still, no need to kick the poor thing with such force it flies!"

I guess you use whatever force necessary. Depends on the animal you're dealing with. This kind of behaviour on a puppy is total overkill. Sounds like the guy totally lost it.

"poor little puppy makes me cross when humans hurt any animal "

Anyway we are only reading what the dog owners have put on Facebook, is there any photo evidence or video of the dog flying through the air?

How are you defining puppy though?

I've seen people call a 6 month old lab a puppy. You would not "take a couple of nips" from that without some major surgery afterwards.

Dude saw his kids in danger panicked and did the first thing that came to mind and kicked it.

Sadly all of this could have been avoided by a 5 pound lead till the animal was properly trained.

"Anyway we are only reading what the dog owners have put on Facebook, is there any photo evidence or video of the dog flying through the air?

"

Apparently cctv

but yes maybe before I seen red, but still, no need to kick the poor thing with such force it flies!

I've seen people call a 6 month old lab a puppy. You would not "take a couple of nips" from that without some major surgery afterwards.

Dude saw his kids in danger panicked and did the first thing that came to mind and kicked it.

Sadly all of this could have been avoided by a 5 pound lead till the animal was properly trained."

I guess you use whatever force necessary. Depends on the animal you're dealing with. This kind of behaviour on a puppy is total overkill. Sounds like the guy totally lost it."

The word puppy is really emotive. It conjures up small, cute and fluffy. A large breed dog is still a puppy at 18 months to two years. A year old dog will be pretty much the size it is likely to be but is still a puppy.

Sadly all of this could have been avoided by a 5 pound lead till the animal was properly trained."

My first reaction would be to pick up my kids for safety.

We can only go by what the OP has stated, admittedly a one sided story, but it sounds to me as the man is in the wrong.

I wouldn't say I'm scared of dogs but I am wary of any dog, when out with my Children I am very aware of any dog in the vicinity and in the instances of dogs running towards us I step in front of my Children or lift them out of the way, so any jumping would be at me, never once has the thought been to lash out at the animal

"Anyway we are only reading what the dog owners have put on Facebook, is there any photo evidence or video of the dog flying through the air?

Apparently cctv"

so it will show everything including the dogs run up to the kids. It should definetly have been on a lead though. Then there would of been no need for any of this

Rotherham

Apparently cctv"

It would be interesting to see how big this dog was. And the circumstances leading up to the event. As has been stated it could be a big dog even though it's a puppy. This case may not be as clear cut as we think.

By *ILLY aka SirslagWoman  over a year ago

Land of the Prince Bishops

OMG!!!!!! poor little pup.......my rage against those who hurt animals knows no limits I abhor any form of intentional neglect and cruelty..

Apparently cctv"

Then that will determine whether the dog was under reasonable control and the man was cruel and over-reacting. Or, whether he had a reasonable fear for the children he was with and acted to prevent an attack.

My puppy is 7 months old he weighs 4.7kg

My friends puppy is just over a year old he weighs 111kg

Which one would go up into the air if you kicked it.........

It's sad but the motto is....

Put your fucking dog on a lead where it's meant to be by law

Sadly all of this could have been avoided by a 5 pound lead till the animal was properly trained.

My first reaction would be to pick up my kids for safety. "

Both of them, at the same time and with enough time to prevent the dog from getting to either of them?

My first reaction would be to pick up my kids for safety. "

And when the dog bites you, you drop your kids?

Man's actions ended the encounter with the minimum risk to human health.

"My puppy is 7 months old he weighs 4.7kg

"

111kg now that's animal cruelty

Apparently cctv

It would be interesting to see how big this dog was. And the circumstances leading up to the event. As has been stated it could be a big dog even though it's a puppy. This case may not be as clear cut as we think."

A boxer, 17 months

Apparently cctv

It would be interesting to see how big this dog was. And the circumstances leading up to the event. As has been stated it could be a big dog even though it's a puppy. This case may not be as clear cut as we think.

A boxer, 17 months"

That's not a puppy that's a grown dog

Apparently cctv

A boxer, 17 months"

well there's nothing little and cute about a 17 month old boxer

My first reaction would be to pick up my kids for safety.

Both of them, at the same time and with enough time to prevent the dog from getting to either of them?

"

I'd give it a damn good try. That would be my first instinct , not kick an animal.

From what Iv read the guy didn't do anything to protect his kids (picking them up etc) "

Thats what I mean, he should have stepped in and shoved it away,,,, if it came back snarling, a harder shove or light punch, if it came back biting then a hard hit....

not just kicking it in the air because its running towards children. its a puppy, its interested in things.

Apparently cctv

A boxer, 17 monthswell there's nothing little and cute about a 17 month old boxer

"

Did I say it was cute and little???

I said puppy.

Apparently cctv

A boxer, 17 months"

So anywhere between 35lbs and 70lbs depending on the size of boxer.

I think if it's genuinely attacking you, you can do whatever it takes to subdue the animal. Whatever force necessary."

Going back donkeys years I remember my dad...being "attacked" by a Jack Russell seriously trying to bite his ankles managed to get his foot under the dog. He didn't actually kick it, but he did manage to flick it up in the air so it ended up on a flat shed roof..... I was about 10 at the time and I feckin near wet myself laughing.

The basic fact is though...and I deplore cruelty to animals..... If a dog attacks a human then anything goes! No animals life is above that of a human!

Apparently cctv

A boxer, 17 monthswell there's nothing little and cute about a 17 month old boxer

I said puppy."

no but the way your going on you gave that impression

Apparently cctv

I said puppy."

Which is why I have questioned the size of the puppy.

I doubt many of us would spot that a 17 month boxer is a still a puppy. Most boxers I have met are on the medium large size and at 17 months will look fully grown.

Apparently cctv

I said puppy.

Which is why I have questioned the size of the puppy.

I doubt many of us would spot that a 17 month boxer is a still a puppy. Most boxers I have met are on the medium large size and at 17 months will look fully grown.

"

They are fully grown.

It's a friggin dog

Probably not as it's animal cruelty but the onus is to be responsible and not have your dog off lead in public places. I always have mine on a lead when out even though he's as soft as shit but other people don't know that.

On the lead even in a field ?"

Only if there's other people about without dogs though.

Apparently cctv

A boxer, 17 months"

The fuck!?

a 17 month boxer???

That man is lucky no to be in the hospital.

That's like a 30kg very powerful dog, the "flew into the air" is likely the dog jumping away from the blow.

Dogs are nails.

"

Exactly this, it could been a puppy Doberman for all anyone nows, im a parent and yes if a strange dog or puppy jumped at my child, instinct would kick in to protect my child, I'm also a dog owner, and always keep my dog on a lead at all times in public

From what Iv read the guy didn't do anything to protect his kids (picking them up etc)

Thats what I mean, he should have stepped in and shoved it away,,,, if it came back snarling, a harder shove or light punch, if it came back biting then a hard hit....

not just kicking it in the air because its running towards children. its a puppy, its interested in things."

Go Google what a boxer is and then think this "puppy" was basic lay fully grown.

No way did the guy boot the thing into the air.

"My puppy is 7 months old he weighs 4.7kg

111kg now that's animal cruelty "

That should of been 101kg and its a Saint Bernard - a big Saint too.

Don't presume it's fat and not cared for correctly. I can honestly say I've never seen a dog that big, certainly turns heads.

I could be wrong but I think on public property and near livestock a dog must be on the lead at all times.

This would probably include parks and canal tow paths

17 weeks!!!!!

"17 weeks!!!!!"

OK, that's a smaller, cuter-looking puppy but still about 30lbs depending on breed size.

Rotherham

Plus we probably need to know how the dog was acting as it approached the man and kids. Did it look like it was genuinely going to pose a threat or not. Could be a hard judgement call when you've only got a split second to decide what to do.

"I could be wrong but I think on public property and near livestock a dog must be on the lead at all times.

This would probably include parks and canal tow paths"

Dogs must be on a lead by law on a designated road.

The protection of livestock act says dogs must not worry livestock - they don't have to be on a lead but it's certainly common sense as the livestock owner can destroy the dog if necessary.

Byelaws can impose restrictions too

"17 weeks!!!!!"

Oh 17 weeks... Yeah you could boot one that small on to a shed roof easy!.

I think the easy solution is make sure it's on a lead.

Problem solved

"I could be wrong but I think on public property and near livestock a dog must be on the lead at all times.

This would probably include parks and canal tow paths

Dogs must be on a lead by law on a designated road.

The protection of livestock act says dogs must not worry livestock - they don't have to be on a lead but it's certainly common sense as the livestock owner can destroy the dog if necessary.

Byelaws can impose restrictions too "

I can tell you now as I've got a dog and I walk it on farm land.

A dog HAS to be on a lead if around livestock.

The farmer can legally shot any animal that isn't regardless of whether it's worrying the livestock or not

A dog off lead where livestock roam...such as common land or farm fields, can legally be shot outright by the farmer/livestock owner. No questions asked!

"Plus we probably need to know how the dog was acting as it approached the man and kids. Did it look like it was genuinely going to pose a threat or not. Could be a hard judgement call when you've only got a split second to decide what to do."

They say it was running with its tail wagging.

"A dog off lead where livestock roam...such as common land or farm fields, can legally be shot outright by the farmer/livestock owner. No questions asked!"

I know this as fact as the farmer near us has shot 3 dogs in 18 months! And the police said it's perfectly legal

Best way to train a working dog give it some boot! May be harsh but in long run its good for it! As if it's useless at end of day if it doesn't get sold it will bloody end up shot!!!

I've witnessed a dog off lead while someone was running not a clue where dog was and it killed 2 sheep!!! So I've no sympathy for owners especially when it says keep dogs on lead

"Best way to train a working dog give it some boot! May be harsh but in long run its good for it! As if it's useless at end of day if it doesn't get sold it will bloody end up shot!!!"

Next you'll be saying that rubbing their nose in it when they piss inside is the best thing to do as well

"I've witnessed a dog off lead while someone was running not a clue where dog was and it killed 2 sheep!!! So I've no sympathy for owners especially when it says keep dogs on lead"

There were no sheep in the field

not just kicking it in the air because its running towards children. its a puppy, its interested in things.

Go Google what a boxer is and then think this "puppy" was basic lay fully grown.

No way did the guy boot the thing into the air."

I know what boxers are!

firstly, yes I agree nobody is gonna kick a dog that size in the air, but from how it originally sounded, it was as though he kicked it into the air, if he gave it a thump/shove with his/her foot then it jumped that's different!

from what it sounded like was that somebody willingly ran up and punted a dog into the air for being curious! that would be wrong!

"Best way to train a working dog give it some boot! May be harsh but in long run its good for it! As if it's useless at end of day if it doesn't get sold it will bloody end up shot!!!

Next you'll be saying that rubbing their nose in it when they piss inside is the best thing to do as well "

Na woudent keep a dog inside kennel outside! On about working dogs not family dogs ha. Had a lab that stayed outside now got a modern dog so to speak ha and that stays in house gets spoilt rotten!

"I've witnessed a dog off lead while someone was running not a clue where dog was and it killed 2 sheep!!! So I've no sympathy for owners especially when it says keep dogs on lead

There were no sheep in the field "

Alreyt. Well common sense prevails with what type of dog it is anyway! Ifs a cockapoo it's bloody harmless! If it's one of them bull cross things then I woudent piss about!

"I've witnessed a dog off lead while someone was running not a clue where dog was and it killed 2 sheep!!! So I've no sympathy for owners especially when it says keep dogs on lead

There were no sheep in the field

Alreyt. Well common sense prevails with what type of dog it is anyway! Ifs a cockapoo it's bloody harmless! If it's one of them bull cross things then I woudent piss about!"

I think you will find some small terriers are more vicious than the larger breed.

Patterdales are Reyt dogs!!!! Best dogs ever I love them!! But u no what a stupid dog is and what isn't it's not rocket science ha!

No, it fucking isnt!!. sickos "

I love dogs. I hate irresponsible dog owners. Leaving a dog off the lead where there are young children (or anybody in fact) is irresponsible.

Leaving their shit everywhere is too.

"I love dogs. I hate irresponsible dog owners. Leaving a dog off the lead where there are young children (or anybody in fact) is irresponsible.

Leaving their shit everywhere is too."

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

The owner is at fault.

The only source of information you have to go in is written on social media BY the owner.

It will be over exaggerated and designed to fault the 'kicker' and refuse to take responsibility for their dog.

Take the dog off them.

There were no sheep in the field "

There were however two children under the age of 5.

Somewhat more vulnerable than sheep.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

"Dogs are not dangerous it's some of the fucking owners who are dangerous "

oh they are ..i was looking at getting a finger amputated for trying to break up a dog fight !

By *tep121Man  over a year ago

manchester

My dog is only ever off his lead in the back garden, or in a large open field (fenced off away from roads n houses) but only if no ones about.

Mind you, i can trust my dog as he isnt one to run off. Even if hes not on the lead..

By *tep121Man  over a year ago

manchester

Dog's are only as bad as their owners let them be. Any dog can be vicious. Not just the pitbulls, staffs n other type of breed...

"My dog is only ever off his lead in the back garden, or in a large open field (fenced off away from roads n houses) but only if no ones about.

Mind you, i can trust my dog as he isnt one to run off. Even if hes not on the lead.."

"He was such a lovely dog noone ever expected him to do something like this" how often do you see that along side the pictures of the attacked child?

"Dog's are only as bad as their owners let them be. Any dog can be vicious. Not just the pitbulls, staffs n other type of breed..."

By number of attacks labradors are the most dangerous dogs in the uk

[Removed by poster at 11/04/15 04:22:33]

"My dog is only ever off his lead in the back garden, or in a large open field (fenced off away from roads n houses) but only if no ones about.

Mind you, i can trust my dog as he isnt one to run off. Even if hes not on the lead..

"He was such a lovely dog noone ever expected him to do something like this" how often do you see that along side the pictures of the attacked child?"

"

On the lead even in a field ?"

Why not? For training yes. My puppy was sometimes on a lead when in a remote place. A field is an ideal place to practice heel work without, distractions

As for the bellend who kicked the puppy. He is welcome to come and kick my 7 stone german shepherd puppy anytime

Quite a few people have a severe phobia of dogs - maybe the guy was terrified of dogs, and didn't understand dog body language (not everyone does) and add his young kids into the mix - maybe that's why he reacted the way he did?

Personally I'd never let my dog run up to a young child.

And I'm always very annoyed at anyone who let's their dogs do this to my kids and don't even attempt to call them off? We have a dog but my kids are naturally (and rightly so) wary of dogs they don't know.

And I'd never be able to pick up a 3 AND a 4 year old without falling over! One or the other, but not both?!

No one should kick a dog. And no one should let a dog run up to young kids like that.

I also have two friends with young kids who are absolutely petrified of dogs.

One had a dog run up and sniff and try to lick him, and I think it may have jumped up as well, and the poor kid was shaken up so badly, it affected him for a long time afterwards and made his phobia much worse.

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

The thing is, I think because people have heard the word "puppy" we all assume it's a tiny, fluffy little thing with big beautiful eyes and floppy ears, right?

Some nearly-grown dogs are still classesd as puppies and without knowing the breed, size or just how quick this dog was running at them, we can't know exactly what the Dad thought was going to happen to his children...

Our old dog used to get so excited that when she'd lick you, it looked like she was snapping/trying to bite you.

However, because of her energy and personality, she was never let off the lead.

- Amy. x

"The thing is, I think because people have heard the word "puppy" we all assume it's a tiny, fluffy little thing with big beautiful eyes and floppy ears, right?

Some nearly-grown dogs are still classesd as puppies and without knowing the breed, size or just how quick this dog was running at them, we can't know exactly what the Dad thought was going to happen to his children...

Our old dog used to get so excited that when she'd lick you, it looked like she was snapping/trying to bite you.

However, because of her energy and personality, she was never let off the lead.

- Amy. x

"

Exactly! Even at 17 weeks a boxer could be the same weight as a three year old child but with more teeth and claws.

I can understand both points of view.

I wasn't aware of the new laws that were put in place from last May.

If I had such a phobia of dogs or my kids, I wouldn't take them to a field that was used for dog walkers. Not EVERYONE keeps their dog on a lead in a field.

Thanks for your Input

By *icky999Man  over a year ago

warrington

Just googled a seventeen week boxer.

Save children ask questions later.

Training its all about training, lots of people simply don't train their dogs, small or large.

Puppies should never be off lead as its training would be minimal if any.

Dog owners seem to forget that others are nervous/terrified of dogs, yet they ignore that ?

Socialise the puppy on lead, kids love puppies. Had this pup been on lead the father may not of have had no issues leaving all with a positive experience.

Now this puppy could and probably will be nervous around people, not good as it may never fully trust people again, nervous dogs bite!

Boxers fully grown are big powerful dogs, training needs to be done right as there may not be a second chance.

This puppy owners problems may only just be beginning

I have two dogs, they are never off lead and are attacked regularly by a variety of off lead dogs. If I included the attempted attacks by those with theirs on lead, it would be daily!

17 weeks, its hard understanding a kick but kids a parent and fear, maybe not so hard then.

"Quite a few people have a severe phobia of dogs - maybe the guy was terrified of dogs, and didn't understand dog body language (not everyone does) and add his young kids into the mix - maybe that's why he reacted the way he did?

Personally I'd never let my dog run up to a young child.

And I'm always very annoyed at anyone who let's their dogs do this to my kids and don't even attempt to call them off? We have a dog but my kids are naturally (and rightly so) wary of dogs they don't know.

And I'd never be able to pick up a 3 AND a 4 year old without falling over! One or the other, but not both?!

No one should kick a dog. And no one should let a dog run up to young kids like that.

I also have two friends with young kids who are absolutely petrified of dogs.

One had a dog run up and sniff and try to lick him, and I think it may have jumped up as well, and the poor kid was shaken up so badly, it affected him for a long time afterwards and made his phobia much worse. "

"Training its all about training, lots of people simply don't train their dogs, small or large.

Dog owners seem to forget that others are nervous/terrified of dogs, yet they ignore that ?

Socialise the puppy on lead, kids love puppies. Had this pup been on lead the father may not of have had no issues leaving all with a positive experience.

Now this puppy could and probably will be nervous around people, not good as it may never fully trust people again, nervous dogs bite!

Boxers fully grown are big powerful dogs, training needs to be done right as there may not be a second chance.

I have two dogs, they are never off lead and are attacked regularly by a variety of off lead dogs. If I included the attempted attacks by those with theirs on lead, it would be daily!

17 weeks, its hard understanding a kick but kids a parent and fear, maybe not so hard then.

"

I concur.

Is about time dogs were restricted like weapons, with licences and proper checks.

The age of the idiot is upon us and unfortunately there is a large minority of utter tits owning them!

"I can understand both points of view.

If I had such a phobia of dogs or my kids, I wouldn't take them to a field that was used for dog walkers. Not EVERYONE keeps their dog on a lead in a field.

Thanks for your Input "

If the field is public like a park I think by law they should be on a lead, if the field is private you shouldn't be on the field without permission, it's a tricky call but people really should think on before buying a dog.

The onus is on them not the person with the children

King's Crustacean

Thanks for your Input "

Taking you at your word ( If 'we' had a phobia of dogs, I wouldn't take my kids to field that was used for dog walkers )

What you are saying is that we should restrict the free movement of humans for dogs and their owners.

Are there any specifically dog walking areas in England ? I don't know of any.

There's precious few free and decent places to take the next generation.

Thanks for your Input "

My friends boy who had the phobia is fine if a dog is away from him but can't cope with dogs coming up close. Should she keep him in the house 24/7?

The time he was spooked by a dog was right outside his playgroup, in the playgroup car park!

No dog owner should let their dog randomly go up to little kids without calling it back. And if it does to come back when called then it should be on a lead.

Puppy training and dog training classes are everywhere if you don't know how to train a dog yourself.

I also own a dog and let it off - she will go up to other people when she is off but I call her back and she comes straight back!

King's Crustacean

I've just learned something. I Googled and their are DOG WALKING FIELDS.

There are a few in the country, so not freely available without lots of travel.

They are for hire too. For people who own dogs to be able to do it securely AWAY from other dogs and people.

So there's one answer. Keep dogs OUT of public places and make their owners PAY to take them to a private field.

"Training its all about training, lots of people simply don't train their dogs, small or large.

I concur.

Is about time dogs were restricted like weapons, with licences and proper checks.

The age of the idiot is upon us and unfortunately there is a large minority of utter tits owning them!"

Fantastic!!

"Is about time dogs were restricted like weapons, with licences and proper checks.

The age of the idiot is upon us and unfortunately there is a large minority of utter tits owning them!"

Love to see the same for kids tbh. Reckon it will happen too.

"

Absolutely

We have all the paperwork for our pup, he goes to the vet every month for flea treatment and worming every 3 months, also get his weight checked.

I would fully support a dog license required by law to own a dog

Thanks for your Input

My friends boy who had the phobia is fine if a dog is away from him but can't cope with dogs coming up close. Should she keep him in the house 24/7?

The time he was spooked by a dog was right outside his playgroup, in the playgroup car park!

No dog owner should let their dog randomly go up to little kids without calling it back. And if it does to come back when called then it should be on a lead.

Puppy training and dog training classes are everywhere if you don't know how to train a dog yourself.

I also own a dog and let it off - she will go up to other people when she is off but I call her back and she comes straight back!

"

Oh but there could be that one time she doesn't.

"

The age of the idiot is upon us and unfortunately there is a large minority of utter tits owning them!

Absolutely

We have all the paperwork for our pup, he goes to the vet every month for flea treatment and worming every 3 months, also get his weight checked.

I would fully support a dog license required by law to own a dog "

I never was in favour of it in the past but unfortunately you only have to look in all the dogs homes to see the reckless fools that are causing the trouble, their almost entirely full of Staffordshire cross breeds

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

"

I was sitting on a park bench first time out after my op, from nowhere a dog bounded up and jumped at my stomach ripping the stitches half out, it wasn't a dangerous breed, what would have happened if I'd been a child or it had ripped my stomach completely open?

"

Exactly the same thing as would have happened if a four or five year old child had run up to you and caught you in the stomach.

Your injury was not because it was a dog that jumped on you but because you already had stitches from the operation.

As to the dog being kicked we were not there and have only heard part of the story.

I wonder why the man took his two young children into the field where a dog (puppy) was running around.

We have got to the stage in this country where personal responsibility has been forgotten.

"

Exactly the same thing as would have happened if a four or five year old child had run up to you and caught you in the stomach.

Your injury was not because it was a dog that jumped on you but because you already had stitches from the operation.

As to the dog being kicked we were not there and have only heard part of the story.

I wonder why the man took his two young children into the field where a dog (puppy) was running around.

We have got to the stage in this country where personal responsibility has been forgotten.

"

I'm amazed that more than one person has said people should not walk where there are dogs.

It's the owners responsibility to be in control of the dog, it's not for everyone else to have to avoid them.

I have a dog and no kids so if anything my view should be biased the other way.

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

^^^This.

People have a right to be in public spaces, dog owners are legally responsible for the actions of their animals.

Whilst I like dogs, not everyone does & it is the responsibility of the dog owner not to let their dog cause upset, anxiety or fear to anyone else.

Keep your dogs on a lead in all public spaces.

By *inkxRabbitWoman  over a year ago

Wok-ish Horsell temporarily

"I don't know where you all walk your dogs but my daft ten year old dogs are off lead all the time, as are all the other dogs!

My youngest dog, a chihuahua aged 18 months is a little devil though. He's never off lead, I put him in a red harness marked CAUTION and on a red lead. People still try to touch him. Grrrrr

Does he go for people when they go to stroke him? "

He has never bitten but he barks and backs off, a signal which is seen as aggression but is actually fear. If really, really pushed he will bite, as my special needs 14 year old son will testify. He's had numerous bites to his face because he pushes the dog to his absolute limit and the dog just snaps. Poor dog, he didn't ask to be harassed by my oaf of a son! All dogs have a limit: it's down to the people to recognise the signals the dog is giving off.

He has never bitten but he barks and backs off, a signal which is seen as aggression but is actually fear. If really, really pushed he will bite, as my special needs 14 year old son will testify. He's had numerous bites to his face because he pushes the dog to his absolute limit and the dog just snaps. Poor dog, he didn't ask to be harassed by my oaf of a son! All dogs have a limit: it's down to the people to recognise the signals the dog is giving off."

Under the new rules if your dog bites someone while off the lead you are criminally responsible for it.

I think a ten year prison sentence for the worst offenders was mentioned.... You pays your money, you take your chances

By *icky999Man  over a year ago

warrington

He has never bitten but he barks and backs off, a signal which is seen as aggression but is actually fear. If really, really pushed he will bite, as my special needs 14 year old son will testify. He's had numerous bites to his face because he pushes the dog to his absolute limit and the dog just snaps. Poor dog, he didn't ask to be harassed by my oaf of a son! All dogs have a limit: it's down to the people to recognise the signals the dog is giving off."

did I actually just read this with my eye balls?

Need to go an count to a million and do my deep breathing exercises grrrrrr

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

Its not down to me - or anyone else - to 'read the signals' your dog is giving off. Its down to YOU to keep it under close control. If a person approaches your dog whilst its on a lead its down to you to warn them off.

Keep your dog on a lead at all times in public places, that is your legal responsibility, no one else's

"Its not down to me - or anyone else - to 'read the signals' your dog is giving off. Its down to YOU to keep it under close control. If a person approaches your dog whilst its on a lead its down to you to warn them off.

Keep your dog on a lead at all times in public places, that is your legal responsibility, no one else's

"

So many people don't take proper responsibility for their dogs. I'm a bit scared of dogs and it can spoil my enjoyment of public spaces sometimes.

". He's had numerous bites to his face because he pushes the dog to his absolute limit and the dog just snaps. Poor dog, he didn't ask to be harassed by my oaf of a son! "

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

"If really, really pushed he will bite, as my special needs 14 year old son will testify. He's had numerous bites to his face because he pushes the dog to his absolute limit and the dog just snaps. Poor dog, he didn't ask to be harassed by my oaf of a son! "

I can't help but at this comment... What kind of special needs are we talking about here?

I wouldn't expect a dog to tolerate my son's advances but I also wouldn't tolerate a dog biting my child, no matter what breed or how small/"cute" they are...

[Removed by poster at 12/04/15 20:40:33]

"

"

seriously? So I shouldn't have been sat on a park bench minding my own business. Never have I had a random child run up to me and hit me in the stomach.

This dog came from nowhere. ALL dogs should be kept on a lead in a public place.

I've also seen a child about 8 go over his handle bars because a dog ran out of nowhere on a cycle path and he breaked not to hit the dog.

Maybe bigger fines would make the dog owners keep them under control

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

no it is not everyone elses responsibility to 'read' what signs your dog is giving off ....we dont know and are not remotely interested in your dog or the dog i will walk past in a minutes time or the 3 dogs i will walk past 2 minutes after that ...as a dog owner ...taking your dog into a public space it is your responsibility to ensure your dog behaves appropriately

Sure why not. Sounds like fun! We could start a whole new craze "

Aaaaaand maybe thats why so many Southerners think Northerners are twats.

Gimp

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Out of control

injures someone

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/overview"

This is incorrect.

It is only considered dangerous if it is out of control whilst being dangerous. i.e barking aggressively or biting or chasing (teeth out) kind of thing)

Being a nuisance can also be considered as being out of control, but if the handler had good recall, and the dog recalls first or second attempt to name, command or whistle etc them it is not out of control (as I believe)

It can also be reported as being aggressive if someone feels intimidated by it, but again - this is open to interpretation. If the dog is on lead, or if again the dog has good recall, it would ha to be assessed, if they find the dog in time and are able to trace the owner.

But yes, the laws have tightened up now to include private property. Having warning signs no longer mean anything.

By *artytwoCouple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Yapping howling shitting machines.

You start to feel negative when you live in 'dogsville' like what we do.

» Add a new message to this topic