FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Exercise verses Genetics

Exercise verses Genetics

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Exercise does a lot of good things — it burns calories, helps keep your weight in check and lowers your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. But without being blessed with the right genetics you aren't going to get that rock hard body, especially in twelve weeks or can you achieve that body ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rp861Man  over a year ago

Devizes

Hard work and discipline trumps genetics every time! You might not be the next Arnie but you can still get lean and strong!

By *egasus NobMan  over a year ago

Merton

"Hard work and discipline trumps genetics every time! You might not be the next Arnie but you can still get lean and strong!"

By *osieWoman  over a year ago

Wembley

"Exercise does a lot of good things — it burns calories, helps keep your weight in check and lowers your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. But without being blessed with the right genetics you aren't going to get that rock hard body, especially in twelve weeks or can you achieve that body ? "

Dunno. But you won't resemble a beached whale either if you stuff your face with less than what you burn, irrespective of thyroids, hormones or genetics

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

With Hard work and discipline anyone can make changes to their body. Maybe not drastic changes but enough to be proud of.

By *riskygazMan  over a year ago

birmingham

i am blessed with being able to eat loads of junk food and never put weight on, exercise does firm your body up, you might not get massive but people can tell that you workout.

Wembley

"With Hard work and discipline anyone can make changes to their body. Maybe not drastic changes but enough to be proud of. "

And very nice changes too

[ ooops, she is straight ]

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

All very good but a new study shows that being overweight increases the chances of a dementia free life.

Not good news for all those toned bodies

Wembley

"All very good but a new study shows that being overweight increases the chances of a dementia free life.

"

Gonna be loads of super-clued-up OAPs from here then

[Removed by poster at 10/04/15 08:16:27]

"All very good but a new study shows that being overweight increases the chances of a dementia free life.

"

The study I heard about was comparing underweight (higher risk) with healthy weight (reduced risk). That's not quite the same thing...

"Exercise does a lot of good things — it burns calories, helps keep your weight in check and lowers your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. But without being blessed with the right genetics you aren't going to get that rock hard body, especially in twelve weeks or can you achieve that body ? "

Don't forget that exercise releases seratonin into the brain to bring positivity to mood... This for me is the most positive effect of exercise and the biggest impact on day to day life.

By *bsinthe_boyMan  over a year ago

Luton

I work in an active job, walk a lot, keep busy at home, don't like junk food and prefer to cook good meals from raw ingredients.

I am, by all measurable indicators, quite fit and healthy. I also weigh over 21 stone.

if my body worked like that of the average man, I woukd need a daily intake of 5500 calories per day just to maintain my weight. And that is assuming a sedentary lifestyle which I do not lead.

you will not find me agreeing that exercise trumps genetics.

"I work in an active job, walk a lot, keep busy at home, don't like junk food and prefer to cook good meals from raw ingredients.

I am, by all measurable indicators, quite fit and healthy. I also weigh over 21 stone.

if my body worked like that of the average man, I woukd need a daily intake of 5500 calories per day just to maintain my weight. And that is assuming a sedentary lifestyle which I do not lead.

you will not find me agreeing that exercise trumps genetics. "

I was in a similar situation and through exercise and a killer diet I got down to where I am now. It's certainly not easy and took a lot of hard work. I think if your used to being active at our weight your body just maintains the status quo. It's taking it outside the norm that pays off.

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

The study I heard about was comparing underweight (higher risk) with healthy weight (reduced risk). That's not quite the same thing...

"

Underweight people had a 39% greater risk of dementia compared with being a healthy weight.

Overweight had an 18% reduction in dementia compared with being a healthy weight.

The obese had a 24% reduction in dementia compared with being a healthy weight.

By *gNeMan  over a year ago

Harrogate

Underweight people had a 39% greater risk of dementia compared with being a healthy weight.

Overweight had an 18% reduction in dementia compared with being a healthy weight.

"

Studies don't prove anything, especially not just one..

There was once a study which showed water causes cancer..

"Hard work and discipline trumps genetics every time! You might not be the next Arnie but you can still get lean and strong!"

no it doesnt lol

dont assume those with superior genetics dont work as hard as those without

"

Oh I didn't read about the overweight bit. Would have thought the other health risks probably outweigh it though.

I don't exercise, but concur that when I'm on the move and active I'm energised and sleep better. Brisk walks, free air.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think it's a pity when the emphasis is on quickness for the short term - a few weeks. Like any journey, where you can get to depends on your starting point. All bodies are not equal genetically, but all benefit from exercise and good nutrition.

Our bodies benefit from being challenged but also resist change, which is why variation to routines helps. I'm not a personal trainer, just work medically in this field due to interests.

A three month dedicated plan should pay off for you. Some will genetically be predisposed to be able to develop faster. Overall it's the quality of the changes you're making that's most important. Plan on your goals being realistic and long term.

By *icky999Man  over a year ago

warrington

"

that study was the exception that proved tge rule. The vast majority of study show the exeact opposite

Genetics I rarely go to the gym any more but when I get the bug and hit it hard with a good diet the transformation kicks in

"

Is that because if you are morbidly obese you are less likely to live long enough to reach an age where dementia will effect you?

Is that because if you are morbidly obese you are less likely to live long enough to reach an age where dementia will effect you? "

Looks likely as most studies show the opposite.

When I was racing bikes I knew people from plodder to olympic standard. Genetics can play a huge part but so can mental application. Hard work and commitment can get you a long way. But genetics count for little with the wrong attitude

Wembley

Is that because if you are morbidly obese you are less likely to live long enough to reach an age where dementia will effect you? "

Mental attitude is hugely important. As a bet, I ran the Edinburgh Marathon with zero training. I mean completely zero exercise for the two years prior. I am slim and seem to have good genetics. Anyway, the night before I went on a bit of a bender until 3am but still got around in sub 3.5 hours. Your mind is your most powerful tool regarding exercise.

agree...genetics has given me hypertension, but take the meds and everything works as normal lol

"Mental attitude is hugely important. As a bet, I ran the Edinburgh Marathon with zero training. I mean completely zero exercise for the two years prior. I am slim and seem to have good genetics. Anyway, the night before I went on a bit of a bender until 3am but still got around in sub 3.5 hours. Your mind is your most powerful tool regarding exercise."

Well done...that is proper PMA, something which I lack a lot of the time ha ha

It takes years to achieve that rock hard body not 11 weeks lol, genetics is a way to blame for not working to hard tho

I've always been naturally muscly, same for most of my family, we just have a higher level of testosterone than most people.

Doesn't mean that we don't need to exercise but if we do we'll build muscle easier than someone who doesn't have as high a level.

"It takes years to achieve that rock hard body not 11 weeks lol, genetics is a way to blame for not working to hard tho "

Well said! Whenever you see these '12 week transformation' programmes, they're all complete shit unless...you're already fit, toned and have some decent muscle already and have just let things slide for a bit.

I hadn't exercised properly for years and so last january started from a point of having no upper body muscle tone to speak of and over a year on, I've been losing the fat and building muscle and I can now start to see some developing in the right places but I know there is a looooong way to go yet to get to where I want to be but it is just that, a long haul!

There are periods of feeling great and feeling like I'm looking quite slim in my clothes now and periods of feeling frustrated because I don't feel I'm getting where I want to get fast enough but I just look back at pics of where I was last January and remind myself that I signed up for the long game not quick results that are easily lost again.

"It takes years to achieve that rock hard body not 11 weeks lol, genetics is a way to blame for not working to hard tho

Well said! Whenever you see these '12 week transformation' programmes, they're all complete shit unless...you're already fit, toned and have some decent muscle already and have just let things slide for a bit.

I hadn't exercised properly for years and so last january started from a point of having no upper body muscle tone to speak of and over a year on, I've been losing the fat and building muscle and I can now start to see some developing in the right places but I know there is a looooong way to go yet to get to where I want to be but it is just that, a long haul!

There are periods of feeling great and feeling like I'm looking quite slim in my clothes now and periods of feeling frustrated because I don't feel I'm getting where I want to get fast enough but I just look back at pics of where I was last January and remind myself that I signed up for the long game not quick results that are easily lost again."

» Add a new message to this topic