FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Are you diabetic?

Are you diabetic?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Does it hold you back?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *orneyashell87Couple  over a year ago

stockotn on tees

OH simon is diabetic. If u are strick and do everything right you can lead a Normmal life. Unfortunately simon doesn't so affects him alot xx

By *orkieLassCouple  over a year ago

York

Used to have type 2 til I lost 10 stone

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No, I got checked out the other week as parents are.

Wasn't a pretty site reading about Gary Mabbutt's leg recently.

As he says though, at least he has it.

By *D40Couple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Type 2 without meds. Once a diabetic always a diabetic however weight loss can eliminate the needs for meds but not yearly retinopathy.

Doesnt make a difference to me, never has

Mrs WD40

It only holds me back diet wise (can't/shouldn't stuff my face with sugary foods).

Did have to rely on someone to get me some sugar the other morning because i had a really bad hypo, but usually if i have a hypo i can manage that myself too.

By *4nc3rCouple  over a year ago

Clacton-On-Sea, Essex

My dad was diabetic (on top of many other serious immunity problems) when he first found out he was good and controlled it, but after a few years he fell into a rut and stopped bothering - his immuno deficiencies meant it took over quick and caused major problems.

It is controllable and even reversible in some cases, but its important to take the right steps all the time and be checked over for other complications

By *heOwlMan  over a year ago

Altrincham

One of the people I go rowing with is Diabetic and has been most of his life.

He is carefull to eat a healthy balanced diet and monitors his blood sugar levels to keep his insulin levels right.

He always takes a banana when he goes rowing (and a bar of chocolate just in case) and is one of the healthiest and fittest people I have met. He can continue a conversation whilst rowing, when the rest of us are struggling to catch our breath.

I hope I am that fit when/if I get to my late 60's. So should diabeties hold a person back, I would say definitely not.

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

I am type 2 but have added insulin to my meds now don't really affect me just have lots of hospital appointments

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

type 2 for about 8 years now. Metformin, diet and exercise. May have to go on Sitigliptin soon as my previous hbA1C was high.

I had controlled it quite well a couple of years ago with low carbing etc and i need to get back on that as i want to stave off insulin for as long as i can.

hertfordshire

"type 2 for about 8 years now. Metformin, diet and exercise. May have to go on Sitigliptin soon as my previous hbA1C was high.

I had controlled it quite well a couple of years ago with low carbing etc and i need to get back on that as i want to stave off insulin for as long as i can."

I actually find it easier now with the insulin

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"type 2 for about 8 years now. Metformin, diet and exercise. May have to go on Sitigliptin soon as my previous hbA1C was high.

I had controlled it quite well a couple of years ago with low carbing etc and i need to get back on that as i want to stave off insulin for as long as i can. I actually find it easier now with the insulin "

i just remember seeing a bloke i worked with after he had injected and he looked like shit....always sticks in my head and i dont want that right now.

I also have PCOS and have been looking at diets to help with that and it seems the low carbing is good for that also.

I had controlled it quite well a couple of years ago with low carbing etc and i need to get back on that as i want to stave off insulin for as long as i can. I actually find it easier now with the insulin

i just remember seeing a bloke i worked with after he had injected and he looked like shit....always sticks in my head and i dont want that right now.

I also have PCOS and have been looking at diets to help with that and it seems the low carbing is good for that also."

Sitagliptin is tablets, i'm on them. My symptoms have improved a lot, even some things i didn't realise were caused by high blood sugars have gone, things like dry skin and little tiny white spots on the tops of my arms.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

My dad is type 2 and had to inject and he manages it well. My nan also suffered with it. I've been tested and I do t have diabetics. My dad always test me when home and my blood sugar is usually a 5

Yes!

Type 1,and I use an insulin pump.it definitely doesn't hold me back.It's important not to let it define you as a person,it's more part of who you are i was diagnosed 18 year ago and I can't say it has ever held me back.Plus,having the added 'luxury' of an insulin pump,as I like to call it,makes life SO much easier x

hertfordshire

I was on stipigliptin too worked for a while ... now take metformin gliclizide and insulin

hertfordshire

"My dad is type 2 and had to inject and he manages it well. My nan also suffered with it. I've been tested and I do t have diabetics. My dad always test me when home and my blood sugar is usually a 5 "

I check everyone too its so easy

My husband is Type 1, injects 4 times a day. He manages his testing and levels very well. As he has got older, he is now 70, he has incurred other medical conditions and all are now taking their toll on him.

But on the whole he manage's pretty well.

"I was on stipigliptin too worked for a while ... now take metformin gliclizide and insulin "

How long did it work for? I've been diabetic almost 20 years now and managed without tablets for about 15 of them. The hypo scared me a bit if i'm honest, did make me wonder if my diabetes has got worse.

hertfordshire

my hubby is also type 2 on tablets

he checks his sugars way too often even the gp said to cut down testing

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

No but at the rate I'm going I doubt it will be long before I am.

Currently it's "tomorrow" I'm going to sort it out.

One of those tomorrow's will be the day I'm diagnosed unless I get my arse into gear.

hertfordshire

"I was on stipigliptin too worked for a while ... now take metformin gliclizide and insulin

How long did it work for? I've been diabetic almost 20 years now and managed without tablets for about 15 of them. The hypo scared me a bit if i'm honest, did make me wonder if my diabetes has got worse."

about a year but it started getting dangerously high for no reason

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Does it hold you back?"

I was for six months, lost weight and it reversed. Didn't hold me back...didn't know, doctor omitted to inform me!

"I was on stipigliptin too worked for a while ... now take metformin gliclizide and insulin

How long did it work for? I've been diabetic almost 20 years now and managed without tablets for about 15 of them. The hypo scared me a bit if i'm honest, did make me wonder if my diabetes has got worse.

about a year but it started getting dangerously high for no reason"

Thanks.

Half the meds i'm on that are for diabetes can also cause diabetes for some weird reason.

no but cared for some people that have it - it wasnt the diabetes part of their life that held them back at all

By *anatee175Couple  over a year ago

Sunderland

I like a few have already said I'm also type two and I have pcos. I take meformin, glicliside and an injection called victoza every morning. Never realised how poorly I did feel until I was put on the injection. Since I started it I've lost 1 stone 10 lbs.

To answer your other question no never held me back from doing anything. I enjoy life to the full.

Claire

» Add a new message to this topic