FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Oil at Gatwick Airport

Oil at Gatwick Airport

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *r Man. OP   Man  over a year ago

London

They've claimed to have discovered millions of galloons of oil underneath Gatwick Airport.

All I'm saying, remember Del boy, and Peckham springs.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I must get my leaking Sump fixed

Gimp

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

priceless !

Won't be expanding there then

I'd like to see the well-test result.....

I suspect there's a bit of talking-up going on in the hope of selling on the exploration rights based on potential reserves rather than proven reserves....

So no extra runway for Gatwick. Pity the people living near Gatwick it's bad enough near City Airport

Flipping great. Just what we needed, massive oil find in the South East. Why couldn't they find it in Geordie land or something. Something else to make the South East even wealthier than the rest of the country. Marvellous.

Could not have happened at a better time.

(For me )

It's a little way out from the airport I say extract it. Let's have some good old fashioned capitalism.

By *heOwlMan  over a year ago

Altrincham

"Flipping great. Just what we needed, massive oil find in the South East. Why couldn't they find it in Geordie land or something. Something else to make the South East even wealthier than the rest of the country. Marvellous."

Maybe, but at least us northeners don't need to be fracked any more.

"Flipping great. Just what we needed, massive oil find in the South East. Why couldn't they find it in Geordie land or something. Something else to make the South East even wealthier than the rest of the country. Marvellous."

Awwwww don't fret pet.....

You soon be invaded by the Geordie masses ,,,,,, after-all you're gonna need our skill and expertise to get the stuff out the ground....

By *arehamMan  over a year ago

handforth

I bet we won't see any drop in fuel prices?.

"I bet we won't see any drop in fuel prices?. "

I bet you won't see a drop of oil produced from there ..... or if we do see it, it will be produced in a such a tiny volume until such times as alternative extraction techniques are developed to effectively extract it at an economically viable volume....

The oil baring geology is not conducive to present operating models......

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

They didn't say what type of oils it is. Might not be the good oil thats made out of Brontosauruses. Some Pteranodon oils is shit innit.

By *icky999Man  over a year ago

warrington

Test have shown there is 40 billion barrels of brent sweet crude vulva oil

Probably just fake tan that's seeped through from those antiquated sewage system down there.....

in the night garden

"Probably just fake tan that's seeped through from those antiquated sewage system down there.....

"

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"They didn't say what type of oils it is. Might not be the good oil thats made out of Brontosauruses. Some Pteranodon oils is shit innit. "

Only the raptor stuff needed for aeroplanes.

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman  over a year ago

West Midlands

Remember the series about the Clampetts

By *eorgy26Man  over a year ago

Sutton

"I bet we won't see any drop in fuel prices?.

I bet you won't see a drop of oil produced from there ..... or if we do see it, it will be produced in a such a tiny volume until such times as alternative extraction techniques are developed to effectively extract it at an economically viable volume....

"

They'll almost certainly need to pump it out which will cost a shit load of money to do.

Great, so I suppose we'll be due for petrol at give away prices, gas and electric for next to nowt ....

Just like we were promised in the early 1970's when they found all the oil under the North Sea ?

Hmmmm yeah right !

in the night garden

"They didn't say what type of oils it is. Might not be the good oil thats made out of Brontosauruses. Some Pteranodon oils is shit innit.

"

Yeah and Ankylosaurs for tractors.

"They didn't say what type of oils it is. Might not be the good oil thats made out of Brontosauruses. Some Pteranodon oils is shit innit.

Yeah and Ankylosaurs for tractors."

And dyouthinkhesaurus oil for getaway cars

They'll almost certainly need to pump it out which will cost a shit load of money to do."

In many cases drilling injection wells to pump out the pay-zone is a fairly cost effective option ......but to the best of my knowledge in this scenario the oil is saturated in unusually heavy clay like formation which rarely yields efficiently from that type of production method .....

By *icky999Man  over a year ago

warrington

They'll almost certainly need to pump it out which will cost a shit load of money to do.

In many cases drilling injection wells to pump out the pay-zone is a fairly cost effective option ......but to the best of my knowledge in this scenario the oil is saturated in unusually heavy clay like formation which rarely yields efficiently from that type of production method ..... "

there's two groups of "experts" on telly one saying its easy and one hard.

I smell a rat

In many cases drilling injection wells to pump out the pay-zone is a fairly cost effective option ......but to the best of my knowledge in this scenario the oil is saturated in unusually heavy clay like formation which rarely yields efficiently from that type of production method .....

I smell a rat "

The Oil industry is and always has been infested by parasitical rodents masquerading as ethically motivated experts ,,,,

The experts always claim there's loads, they use fantastic statements like a "hundred years of oil" to bullshit the general public who are gullible and greedy enough to buy there bollocks!.

It's how all the best con tricks work!.

There'll give the the odd local council a hundred grand or a new sports hut, collect there rewards and leave you with the cancer rates soaring in 15 years, to which the general public will be totally shocked and the politicians more so.

Same old story, nobody ever learns

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Just remember it's UK oil now we are all staying together

I smell a rat

The Oil industry is and always has been infested by parasitical rodents masquerading as ethically motivated experts ,,,,

"

Ouch straight in the feels.

I smell a rat

Ouch straight in the feels. "

haha hey, having given over 25 years of my life digging holes looking for oil and gas I think I'm entitled to slag off the money grabbing industry funded charlatans who purport impartiality ......

Or just watch Erin brokowitch to see what a bunch of ruthless killers they really are while masquerading as genuinely concerned for people and the environment!

"They've claimed to have discovered millions of galloons of oil underneath Gatwick Airport.

All I'm saying, remember Del boy, and Peckham springs. "

(Galloons) Of oil .. I used to love watching Del boy on tv david jason was great as was rodney, and grandad.

Won't be long before the pumpjacks will be going up. Exciting times for the industry with the Falklands score and the opportunities that Fracking presents.

I don't think the government can get away with unilaterally invading somewhere else to control their oil anymore. Looking closer to home will now be viable and attractive.

Greenbelt what greenbelt?

Unless an agreement can be reached with Argentina to refine and transport the oil via pipe-lines through Argentina no oil will be economically produced in the territorial waters around the Falkland's....

Even a continuous fleet of tankers could not handle the production volume needed to ship the oil from the Falkland's to a neutral location and that's even presuming the seasonal sea state and weather condition would be managed in such a way to allow year long tanker activity......

The only viable option is a sub-sea template linked to a pipeline.... and a sub sea pipe line could only effectively handle the volume if land fall was made in Argentinian mainland.......

"Unless an agreement can be reached with Argentina to refine and transport the oil via pipe-lines through Argentina no oil will be economically produced in the territorial waters around the Falkland's....

Even a continuous fleet of tankers could not handle the production volume needed to ship the oil from the Falkland's to a neutral location and that's even presuming the seasonal sea state and weather condition would be managed in such a way to allow year long tanker activity......

The only viable option is a sub-sea template linked to a pipeline.... and a sub sea pipe line could only effectively handle the volume if land fall was made in Argentinian mainland.......

"

I'm sure a mutual agreement could be made if they ever got round to seriously crunching some numbers. That would be one seriously long pipe!!!

"Won't be long before the pumpjacks will be going up. Exciting times for the industry with the Falklands score and the opportunities that Fracking presents.

I don't think the government can get away with unilaterally invading somewhere else to control their oil anymore. Looking closer to home will now be viable and attractive.

"

There's no oil in the Falklands!.

The tiny bit they've found wouldn't run Britain for six months.

The three biggest and unexpected oil finds in 50 years or so we're north sea oil, Alaskan north slope and the gulf of Mexico.

They've all been in production decline for 15-20 years.

What your currently asking is that oil companies find some new undiscovered oil fields as big as those three!. And even if they did (and they won't) that would only last 25 years at best!.

The age of cheap oil is over, and the decline in supply will follow, and that decline according to every geologist will be a sharp one!

"Won't be long before the pumpjacks will be going up. Exciting times for the industry with the Falklands score and the opportunities that Fracking presents.

The tiny bit they've found wouldn't run Britain for six months.

The three biggest and unexpected oil finds in 50 years or so we're north sea oil, Alaskan north slope and the gulf of Mexico.

They've all been in production decline for 15-20 years.

What your currently asking is that oil companies find some new undiscovered oil fields as big as those three!. And even if they did (and they won't) that would only last 25 years at best!.

The age of cheap oil is over, and the decline in supply will follow, and that decline according to every geologist will be a sharp one!"

Happy to wait and see...........

"

I'm sure a mutual agreement could be made if they ever got round to seriously crunching some numbers. That would be one seriously long pipe!!! "

lol yeah ....I'm sure the vestiges of a mutually beneficial agreement are already in place and all that remains is the complicated matter of some diplomatic face saving on both sides....

"

!"

The Oil is not on the Falklands.... its under the seabed of Falkland island territorial waters.....

and the assessment regards the potential reserves does not match the actual test well results or the result of seismic survey....

Well if there is a billion barrels of oil under Sussex that's England's chances of hosting the world cup improved.

"

!

The Oil is not on the Falklands.... its under the seabed of Falkland island territorial waters.....

and the assessment regards the potential reserves does not match the actual test well results or the result of seismic survey....

"

As i understood it I thought the oil reserves were under the antarctic ice fields which the Falklands can lay claim too

By *nzo sussexMan  over a year ago

Crawley

Yes, pity indeed!

I live 3 miles as the crow files from Gatwick. Hardly any noise from planes (oddly), but the traffic getup worse every year.

Please, don't need tankers rolling past all times of day & night.

And the Green Party have a collective orgasm at this large amount of oil they'll not allow anyone to pump up or use.

"

And the Green Party have a collective orgasm at this large amount of oil they'll not allow anyone to pump up or use. "

Well if you tried pumping it at the moment you'd be making about 30 dollars a barrel losses.

Not exactly great business acumen even for a green party member like me

"

And the Green Party have a collective orgasm at this large amount of oil they'll not allow anyone to pump up or use. .

Well if you tried pumping it at the moment you'd be making about 30 dollars a barrel losses.

Not exactly great business acumen even for a green party member like me "

Hope you've wiped any spillage.

"

And the Green Party have a collective orgasm at this large amount of oil they'll not allow anyone to pump up or use. .

Not exactly great business acumen even for a green party member like me

Hope you've wiped any spillage. "

.Spillages

That's what my jumpers for

Gatwick airport needs Democracy ! Let America invades us

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

It is to do with decades of the ground being used to soak up spilt aircraft turbine oil.

By *r Man. OP   Man  over a year ago

London

"I bet we won't see any drop in fuel prices?. "

I remember them saying that the oil in North Sea would bring down cost at the petrol pumps.

Until they realised that the quality was so good that it would be wasted on the British public/industry.

So we export it instead

I remember them saying that the oil in North Sea would bring down cost at the petrol pumps.

Until they realised that the quality was so good that it would be wasted on the British public/industry.

So we export it instead "

That's s very good point and one that most people who just put petrol in a car are quite oblivious to.

Oil comes in massively varying forms from Brent (great) to tar sands (crap) the cost of refinement difference is huge the same as the difference in cost of extraction.

They give a value to energy which is EROEI , which stands for energy returned on energy invested, this can be measured in capital(money) or energy.

If you look at coal a hundred years ago it had a eroei measurement of 1-100 ie you put 1 unit of energy in and got 100 out.

That's a great return, petroleum in the 40s and 50s had the same sort of return.

Today both coal and oil have an eroei of about 1-10 that's still good but has come down massively on what it was.

Wind power has about the same eroei which is why you've seen the massive rise in them (small energy in for a big return).

Nuclear is about 1-4

Solar 1-1 or 1-4 depending on situation.

Hydro about 1-5

Wave is good that's about 1-10

Fracking is about 1-1 or 1-5 again depending on situation.

Now what the experts see from these figures is that net energy is getting harder to come by and that's a big deal because nearly all advancements come from having a large net energy gain, yes entrepreneurialism and intelligence goes along way but can't do shit without net energy gains (it's the actually physicality of getting more for less from energy that gives you growth).

So solar is bad at 1-1 but at least it's renewable, winds about the same as coal and oil but not as reliable, nuclear is a low energy gainer but has its own problems of radioactive waste and decommissioning!

The move from hydrocarbons to renewables is absolute given sooner or later the hydrocarbons will run out, that's just a fact.

Many many geologists believe we've past peak already some think we're on the bumpy plateau some think we might have another 20 years, no one knows exactly but if you average the experts guesses we've got 5 -10 years.

So the real question is so you make the expensive and bumpy transition to renewables now or wait till the hydrocarbons are nearly gone and descend into the chaos of trying to do it with expensive and limited resources you'll have then!.

And I was very good and didn't even mention the fucking up of the planet if we continue on the hydrocarbon path

» Add a new message to this topic