FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Religions/wars/world conflicts

Religions/wars/world conflicts

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I heard so many times that the world would be peacful if there was no religion, that religion is the cause of most conflicts around the globe...

Sure religion is implicated in most of worst wars but to say that religion is responsible is a disortotion of the evidence. Religion, unfortunately provides a useful cover and a powerful motivator for the evil-hearted. That religion can be so markedly different in the hands of the power-hungry, as opposed to the altruist and virtuous, really says more about human psychology than it does about religion.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

If it wasn't religion it would be ideology in general. Although some people might say that religion is nothing but indoctrinated ideology.

People will always find the need to herd with their own and with that comes societal and ideolgical divde, which sometimes leads to dispute, conflict and ultimately war.

The Nazis for example were irreligious in their ideology and from what I've read were seeking to undo a lot of the influence of the churches if not destroy them.

"If it wasn't religion it would be ideology in general. Although some people might say that religion is nothing but indoctrinated ideology.

People will always find the need to herd with their own and with that comes societal and ideolgical divde, which sometimes leads to dispute, conflict and ultimately war.

The Nazis for example were irreligious in their ideology and from what I've read were seeking to undo a lot of the influence of the churches if not destroy them. "

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

i'd say the appropriation of resources is responsible for more acts of violence/war than religion is

"i'd say the appropriation of resources is responsible for more acts of violence/war than religion is"

Couldn't say it better ^_^

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Modern wars seem financially motivated. A well known super power under the guise of democracy invades a country for peace keeping reasons. That country then gets obliterated and suprise suprise the invading country offers contracts to rebuild it to their fellow countrymen. Add to that they then can control that countries resources and banking system and it becomes a war based on profit. Religion only seems to come into it when the invading country tries to justify it's actions. Not really a conspiracy theorist but after once seeing Michael Moore's Farenheit 911 film a lot of it made sense.

By *tep121Man  over a year ago

manchester

Its basically down to control of oil and money (greed)

War on afghanistan was down to oil control, falklands conflict is down to oil, nothing ever happened in conflict in syria, as they have no oil...

"Its basically down to control of oil and money (greed)

War on afghanistan was down to oil control, falklands conflict is down to oil, nothing ever happened in conflict in syria, as they have no oil..."

Actually, there is a substantial oil industry in Syria, I used to export equipment to there. There is very little in Afghanistan and the Falklands was not about oil it was about fishing rights and a possibility of licences to explore parts of Antarctica (though international treaties have ruled out drilling there).

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

[Removed by poster at 09/04/15 08:20:53]

WWI, WWII, Crimean War, Vietnam war, Rwanda, Cambodia, Korean war, Boer War, French Revolution, Russian Revolution, Chinese Revolution, American Revolution, etc, etc.

The old 'religion is to blame for war' argument is factually incorrect.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Difference is often the cause of conflict, difference of religious beliefs territory or wealth and possessions.

By *icky999Man  over a year ago

warrington

Its them lilliputions with there eggs the wrongway!!!

Bomb 'em I say

By *gNeMan  over a year ago

Harrogate

War has never been caused by religion. Religion is just the scapegoat and the manipulating force used by greedy narcissists to facilitate war.

"I heard so many times that the world would be peacful if there was no religion, that religion is the cause of most conflicts around the globe...

Sure religion is implicated in most of worst wars but to say that religion is responsible is a disortotion of the evidence. Religion, unfortunately provides a useful cover and a powerful motivator for the evil-hearted. That religion can be so markedly different in the hands of the power-hungry, as opposed to the altruist and virtuous, really says more about human psychology than it does about religion.

"

Totally agree

"i'd say the appropriation of resources is responsible for more acts of violence/war than religion is"

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS  over a year ago

London&Dublin

I always think religion as trafic rules and regulations.

It differs from one country to another...but the objective is the same, to make sure the road is safe and makes those who use the road, good drivers.

You still will have bad drivers around but that doest mean you should abolish the traffic rules.

It's a folly if we argue the traffic rules of other countries and start a war on it...and same goes with religion.

That just my personal opinion and how i look at it. I'm blessed to be brought up in a society where we celerate Eid, Christmas, Chinese New Year, Deepavali and Wesak Day together.

"I always think religion as trafic rules and regulations.

It differs from one country to another...but the objective is the same, to make sure the road is safe and makes those who use the road, good drivers.

You still will have bad drivers around but that doest mean you should abolish the traffic rules.

It's a folly if we argue the traffic rules of other countries and start a war on it...and same goes with religion.

That just my personal opinion and how i look at it. I'm blessed to be brought up in a society where we celerate Eid, Christmas, Chinese New Year, Deepavali and Wesak Day together."

brillantly said

It's intrinsic human needs of greed, power and wealth that is causing all this.

Simple as.

"i'd say the appropriation of resources is responsible for more acts of violence/war than religion is

Couldn't say it better ^_^"

I'd agree - though with judicious application of religion (or patriotism/idealism, anything that sounds suitably virtuous really) you can coat your power grabbing schemes with a good ol' lick of righteous paint and make yourself look like the hero, your motives noble and just.

"i'd say the appropriation of resources is responsible for more acts of violence/war than religion is

I'd agree - though with judicious application of religion (or patriotism/idealism, anything that sounds suitably virtuous really) you can coat your power grabbing schemes with a good ol' lick of righteous paint and make yourself look like the hero, your motives noble and just."

only to the weak minded though

I'd agree - though with judicious application of religion (or patriotism/idealism, anything that sounds suitably virtuous really) you can coat your power grabbing schemes with a good ol' lick of righteous paint and make yourself look like the hero, your motives noble and just.

"

Well either weak or vulnerable minded in general, the power hungry at the top will always take advantage of those who aren't good at thinking for themselves, or have some personal reason (ie, revenge) to go along with their manipulations.

Well either weak or vulnerable minded in general, the power hungry at the top will always take advantage of those who aren't good at thinking for themselves, or have some personal reason (ie, revenge) to go along with their manipulations."

fact

I'd agree - though with judicious application of religion (or patriotism/idealism, anything that sounds suitably virtuous really) you can coat your power grabbing schemes with a good ol' lick of righteous paint and make yourself look like the hero, your motives noble and just."

I'm with Wilfred Owen on this. Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori is 'the old lie' for 'children ardent for some desperate glory'. Death in war is never glorious.

I'm with Wilfred Owen on this. Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori is 'the old lie' for 'children ardent for some desperate glory'. Death in war is never glorious."

In one of the few lines worth remembering from Kevin Costners 'The Postman', he says to the badguy at the end words to the effect of

'Wouldn't it be good if wars were only fought between those who start them?'

I'm with Wilfred Owen on this. Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori is 'the old lie' for 'children ardent for some desperate glory'. Death in war is never glorious.

In one of the few lines worth remembering from Kevin Costners 'The Postman', he says to the badguy at the end words to the effect of

'Wouldn't it be good if wars were only fought between those who start them?'"

It's largely the same as Ned Starks quote

'The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword'

» Add a new message to this topic