FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > overtaking

overtaking

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *erryg OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

denton

i drive a few hundred miles a week,why do HGVs overtake another doing about 1 mph more on the A34 in oxford one took over 4 minutes for this maneuver, causing a tailback, can anyone explain this as their journey time saved is one truck length,ive also had cars do the same but not as often

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

They are just trying to go as fast as they can... Over 300 miles, that extra speed will save them as much as 3 or 4 minutes in their total travel time.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Write to your local mp and ask why they don't turn the antiquated dual carriageway into a 3 lane road. The lorries aren't breaking the law. This wasn't a problem in the 80s before speed limiters. But there was a public outcry at so called "killer juggernauts" so limiters were introduced. Like the saying goes, be careful what you wish for

By *uttyjonnMan  over a year ago

cheshire

This maybe a dump question but do lorries form convoys and take turns at the front - a bit like geese flying south for winter?

denton

so it is the speed governors fitted some are set at 1 mph more, i can work out that it will save 3mins on a 300 mile trip,

They are limited to 56mph on an incline a fully laden truck won't be able to maintain top speed, other trucks will overtake when they can

"so it is the speed governors fitted some are set at 1 mph more, i can work out that it will save 3mins on a 300 mile trip, "
So if the can't overtake, the bunch behind each other doing half a mph less than the one in front. So a line of 30 trucks means the back one is hovering around 40mph. Not very safe is it? You just need a little patience

The question is do you like being stuck behind a big lorry, I'm guessing the answer is no.

Well hgv drivers are the same, being sat behind a lorry not being able to see ahead and anticipate the road is much more tiring and stressful than driving in an open road.

Hgv drivers feel this as much as anyone else, so when the see an opportunity to pass they take it. Unfortunately it takes a while.

"The question is do you like being stuck behind a big lorry, I'm guessing the answer is no.

Well hgv drivers are the same, being sat behind a lorry not being able to see ahead and anticipate the road is much more tiring and stressful than driving in an open road.

Hgv drivers feel this as much as anyone else, so when the see an opportunity to pass they take it. Unfortunately it takes a while. "

had this yesterday but i was in middle lane and flashed a truck to get past a long haulage vehicle - took him a fewnminutes - when he got back into the first lane i overtook and then moved into first lane myself - he nodded a thanks as i passed him and flashed when i went ahead - all nice and calm and happy

"This maybe a dump question but do lorries form convoys and take turns at the front - a bit like geese flying south for winter? "

It makes sense to, as you drive in a slipstream, your fuel economy improves. Even a couple of per cent saving adds up, with the cost of fuel as it frequently is. I think its encouraged by some haulage companies.

By *.nottsbloke..Man  over a year ago

nottinghamshire

Worse than this I found when driving a hgv is car drivers slowly slowing down while on the phone or texting without realising they are doing it. From above in ur lorry u can see the phone. As u catch and start to overtake they suddenly realise what they are doing and roar away leaving u stuck in the middle or outside lane like a Pratt.

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS  over a year ago

London&Dublin

"They are just trying to go as fast as they can... Over 300 miles, that extra speed will save them as much as 3 or 4 minutes in their total travel time. "

Imagine how many quickie they can get on that 3 - 4 mins...!!..

They are as entitled as anyone to overtake if safe to do so.

I drive a limited vehicle and trust me however frustrating it is for you to be held up from your busy life for a min or two every now and again.

Think of how fucking frustrating it is for us who have to put up with it every single day.

Worst one is when some numbnuts in a car drives at 57 mph I try and overtake and they speed up to match my speed. I am then stuck in nomans land unable to get past or drop back in behind coz some twat is sitting six inches behind my rear bumper.

We don't do it on purpose.

"This maybe a dump question but do lorries form convoys and take turns at the front - a bit like geese flying south for winter?

It makes sense to, as you drive in a slipstream, your fuel economy improves. Even a couple of per cent saving adds up, with the cost of fuel as it frequently is. I think its encouraged by some haulage companies."

No haulage company would encourage tailgating. It's a bad practice that can cause serious carnage, not to mention it's illegal

Jerry, you wanna come to London and watch the cabbies and Addison Lee drivers just pulling out on you without indicating.

And as for cyclist arrrrrrrrr

You mean jihaddison Lee drivers

"This maybe a dump question but do lorries form convoys and take turns at the front - a bit like geese flying south for winter?

It makes sense to, as you drive in a slipstream, your fuel economy improves. Even a couple of per cent saving adds up, with the cost of fuel as it frequently is. I think its encouraged by some haulage companies.No haulage company would encourage tailgating. It's a bad practice that can cause serious carnage, not to mention it's illegal "

I didn't say tailgating! A slipstream from a HGV tails back quite a distance!

A slip stream won't go back as far as a safe breaking distance

And I don't often see any driver, HGV, car or bike at a safe distance.

That maybe so, but no company would ever encourage so called slipstreaming

"That maybe so, but no company would ever encourage so called slipstreaming"

You think? Not officially, but they do. I know of two that allowed it. And they were hauling just under 30 ton of beer apiece.

Money is everything to some. Be grateful its not everyone.

Well no firm I've worked for in the past 17 years has ever spoke of it

As a class 1 hgv driver here for 15 years,you need to sit high up in a cab one day and see it from our side.Theres good and bad drivers in cars and trucks i agree.I see terrible driving on a daily basis,its best not to stress and get where your going safely.Its not worth trying to save 10 mins by overtaking blindly which doesnt bare thinking about.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Plenty of non-truck vehicles not in the left lane who spend much longer not overtaking a thing. Lorries are a hassle sometimes but mainly due to conditions outside of their control.

With more of us only ever taking one single test and driving for as good as fifty years, without any further checks, as well as overseas drivers here, it's time for a massive change to licensing and testing.

I would happily pay for frequent very demanding tests, that increase the level of required competence. I fear self driving cars will arrive First though.

Less police, with tens of thousands to be cut with unnecessary austerity cuts, will allow things to get worse.

A lot of valid points there. I agree about licences and tests. At least compulsory training every 10 years. Plus less speed cams and more unmarked police on the roads

"Plenty of non-truck vehicles not in the left lane who spend much longer not overtaking a thing. Lorries are a hassle sometimes but mainly due to conditions outside of their control.

With more of us only ever taking one single test and driving for as good as fifty years, without any further checks, as well as overseas drivers here, it's time for a massive change to licensing and testing.

I would happily pay for frequent very demanding tests, that increase the level of required competence. I fear self driving cars will arrive First though.

Less police, with tens of thousands to be cut with unnecessary austerity cuts, will allow things to get worse. "

i agree on the part of only one test for a lifetime,that cant be right as you pass your test at 18 and expect to have the same road sense at70.Where as my test for a lorry is hard to pass,plus medicals AND 3 examiners tests at work in house to make sure you dont get lazy in your driving.

The Biggest problem I find is that the speed limit on Britain's Roads seems to have sneakily changed to 50mph judging by how many cars I end up overtaking in a day to day basis. The biggest hazard on a motorway is the speed differential between the slowest cars, and the fastest ones. The HGVs in between get caught up in the chaos and blamed.

Also, the limiter in mine seems to be around 56/57mph and I end up overtaking many other HGVs in the process. You may say that we end up only saving 3 minutes etc etc but that's complete bull. Take into account Traffic, weather and time wasted at traffic lights. It all adds up, and becomes very stressful especially when we have timed deliveries to adhere to.

But no. Car drivers only pass 1 driving test and own the road, so seeing as they're mightier and more important, please feel free to tell us where HGV drivers are such an inconvenience to everyone else

I propose all HGVs be fitted with nitrous oxide to help in these overtaking dilemmas

POWWWA

By *icky999Man  over a year ago

warrington

Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of june.....

"so it is the speed governors fitted some are set at 1 mph more, i can work out that it will save 3mins on a 300 mile trip, So if the can't overtake, the bunch behind each other doing half a mph less than the one in front. So a line of 30 trucks means the back one is hovering around 40mph. Not very safe is it? You just need a little patience "

If the one at back was going slower then it would drop further back. Think about it....to maintain convoy spacing they must all be at same speed!

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I always assumed they were busy discussing their latest murders

"The Biggest problem I find is that the speed limit on Britain's Roads seems to have sneakily changed to 50mph judging by how many cars I end up overtaking in a day to day basis. The biggest hazard on a motorway is the speed differential between the slowest cars, and the fastest ones. The HGVs in between get caught up in the chaos and blamed.

Also, the limiter in mine seems to be around 56/57mph and I end up overtaking many other HGVs in the process. You may say that we end up only saving 3 minutes etc etc but that's complete bull. Take into account Traffic, weather and time wasted at traffic lights. It all adds up, and becomes very stressful especially when we have timed deliveries to adhere to.

But no. Car drivers only pass 1 driving test and own the road, so seeing as they're mightier and more important, please feel free to tell us where HGV drivers are such an inconvenience to everyone else "

French drivers are offered /expected to attend re-training after 20 years holding a licence. I went to one while I lived there. The pass level is 46/50 with explanations for any and all questions, failures are required to take remedial lessons.

Actually the speed limit is 52 mph

56 mph is just the maximum to allow for discrepancies such as tyre wear etc

If you are slipstreaming a lorry from the same company it's a waste because the one in front is working harder therefore using Morebattle by actually pulling the one behind sounds mad but it's true

So slipstream another company and save your fuel lol

"so it is the speed governors fitted some are set at 1 mph more, i can work out that it will save 3mins on a 300 mile trip, So if the can't overtake, the bunch behind each other doing half a mph less than the one in front. So a line of 30 trucks means the back one is hovering around 40mph. Not very safe is it? You just need a little patience

If the one at back was going slower then it would drop further back. Think about it....to maintain convoy spacing they must all be at same speed!"

In theory yes, however, in reality you get the scenario I said, with the back 4 or 5 having a burst of speed to play catch up every mile and a half. I was in a convoy of 23 trucks from the same firm once, and my boss told me to go at the back as mine was fastest. It was a pain in the are. You're expecting 23 free thinking blokes, to maintain the same gap, then no other drivers to enter that space

denton

ive read a lot of good points, hgv governed at 50mph wont allow the extra boost to overtake quickly, now it is summer time dare i say CARAVANS

"so it is the speed governors fitted some are set at 1 mph more, i can work out that it will save 3mins on a 300 mile trip, So if the can't overtake, the bunch behind each other doing half a mph less than the one in front. So a line of 30 trucks means the back one is hovering around 40mph. Not very safe is it? You just need a little patience "

If they each did half a mile an hour less then they'd end up spreading out hugely over a 300 mile trip....

"Actually the speed limit is 52 mph

56 mph is just the maximum to allow for discrepancies such as tyre wear etc "

Actually the speed limit is still 60mph, 56 was brought in by truck manufacturers as an ideal speed for fuel consumption but larger logistics companies decided that screwing it down to 52ish would save even more fuel, even though it rarely does!

"i drive a few hundred miles a week,why do HGVs overtake another doing about 1 mph more on the A34 in oxford one took over 4 minutes for this maneuver, causing a tailback, can anyone explain this as their journey time saved is one truck length,ive also had cars do the same but not as often"

You should go out in one for a day, it'll possibly change your opinion of them.

In fact every car driver should, seeing things from a different perspective would help other peoples driving standards.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Actually the speed limit is still 60mph, 56 was brought in by truck manufacturers as an ideal speed for fuel consumption but larger logistics companies decided that screwing it down to 52ish would save even more fuel, even though it rarely does!"

your nearly right the speed limit for and hgv over 7.5t is set at 80kmh(56mph ) by european law even tho the spped limit on motorways is 60mph for them in this country . fortunatley as from monday 6th this all changes as the speed limits for hgvs are being raised to 50mph on single carriageways currently 40mph and 56 on dual carriage ways currently 50 both where permitted the motor way limit will still be 60 with no plans to allow limiters to be changed to suit . another problem that causes "elephant racing " between trucks is some companys have their limiters set at 50mph (morrisons aldi etc) to save fuel some at 52/54 some at 56 believe me crawling along at 50/52 constantly breaking or lifting off the throttle is very very tiring for a driver as stated above so where you can you over take to save yourself the stress

"i drive a few hundred miles a week,why do HGVs overtake another doing about 1 mph more on the A34 in oxford one took over 4 minutes for this maneuver, causing a tailback, can anyone explain this as their journey time saved is one truck length,ive also had cars do the same but not as often"

Well it's quite suimple really . Their speed may be governed to a different speed.

One lorry may have newer Tyres,

One may be carrying less and thus faster up hills

One may be on the inside line of a corner.

Just let them get on with it , and yes they annoy the hell out of me as well

Like all other driving 'whinges' these contribute to the increase in stress when people are driving.

Chill out, it doesn't exactly hold one up for an eternity, a few extra minutes on your journey is hardly something to get so wound up about. You'll arrive at your destination in a much better frame of mind if you show more patience.

Take it from someone who at times has driven upwards of 40-50'000 miles a year and used to arrive so wound up I could barely function.

[Removed by poster at 04/04/15 14:20:22]

"Like all other driving 'whinges' these contribute to the increase in stress when people are driving.

Chill out, it doesn't exactly hold one up for an eternity, a few extra minutes on your journey is hardly something to get so wound up about. You'll arrive at your destination in a much better frame of mind if you show more patience.

Take it from someone who at times has driven upwards of 40-50'000 miles a year and used to arrive so wound up I could barely function."

this is why i love the bike, doesnt matter what happens you always turn up with a stupid grin on your face.

either the "haha that was fun" grin or the "hahaa dunno how but i'm still alive" grin :D

or after a particularly poorly planed trip the "heh i'm so hypothermic that I cant stop grinning at the funny colors im seeing grin :p

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Hertford

. Their speeds are controlled by a,speed limiter and how many motorists actually let then out when they need to overtake in heavy traffic . Is your journey as important as that of the HGV who is delivering the goods that we consume?

Hertford

"had this yesterday but i was in middle lane and flashed a truck to get past a long haulage vehicle - took him a fewnminutes - when he got back into the first lane i overtook and then moved into first lane myself - he nodded a thanks as i passed him and flashed when i went ahead - all nice and calm and happy "
. Nice to see some motorists showing consideration for LGV drivers , it is a pity all car drivers did not show the same

Hertford

It makes sense to, as you drive in a slipstream, your fuel economy improves. Even a couple of per cent saving adds up, with the cost of fuel as it frequently is. I think its encouraged by some haulage companies."

. No sane LGV driver would drive that close , it is a highly dangerous practice . The two second rule should be adhered to .

Hertford

"And I don't often see any driver, HGV, car or bike at a safe distance.

"

. I regularly check my gap and ensure that the two second rule is adhered to.

carrbrook stalybridge

It makes sense to, as you drive in a slipstream, your fuel economy improves. Even a couple of per cent saving adds up, with the cost of fuel as it frequently is. I think its encouraged by some haulage companies.. No sane LGV driver would drive that close , it is a highly dangerous practice . The two second rule should be adhered to . "

problem is whilst your maintaining the two second rule some arsehole in his large German car forces his way into it putting themselves and you in danger

Actually the speed limit is still 60mph, 56 was brought in by truck manufacturers as an ideal speed for fuel consumption but larger logistics companies decided that screwing it down to 52ish would save even more fuel, even though it rarely does!your nearly right the speed limit for and hgv over 7.5t is set at 80kmh(56mph ) by european law even tho the spped limit on motorways is 60mph for them in this country . fortunatley as from monday 6th this all changes as the speed limits for hgvs are being raised to 50mph on single carriageways currently 40mph and 56 on dual carriage ways currently 50 both where permitted the motor way limit will still be 60 with no plans to allow limiters to be changed to suit . another problem that causes "elephant racing " between trucks is some companys have their limiters set at 50mph (morrisons aldi etc) to save fuel some at 52/54 some at 56 believe me crawling along at 50/52 constantly breaking or lifting off the throttle is very very tiring for a driver as stated above so where you can you over take to save yourself the stress "

Nope the actual speed limit is 52

Take it from a lorry driver who has two of his family that are employed by the DVSA

By *ary baileyCouple  over a year ago

basildon

"Worse than this I found when driving a hgv is car drivers slowly slowing down while on the phone or texting without realising they are doing it. From above in ur lorry u can see the phone. As u catch and start to overtake they suddenly realise what they are doing and roar away leaving u stuck in the middle or outside lane like a Pratt."
so true . I have it when towing caravan it's like shot that can't pass me but don't speed up enough to allow you to pull in safely.

Don't get me started ffs

I remember the first time i drove on a US freeway, i joined at about 68mph and was immediately over taken by one of those peter built trucks doing about 80! Scared the shit out of me!

By *MaleMan  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/04/15 12:27:22]

"Nope the actual speed limit is 52

Take it from a lorry driver who has two of his family that are employed by the DVSA "

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"Worse than this I found when driving a hgv is car drivers slowly slowing down while on the phone or texting without realising they are doing it. From above in ur lorry u can see the phone. As u catch and start to overtake they suddenly realise what they are doing and roar away leaving u stuck in the middle or outside lane like a Pratt."

Outside lane.... are trucks allowed there now?

Hertford

It makes sense to, as you drive in a slipstream, your fuel economy improves. Even a couple of per cent saving adds up, with the cost of fuel as it frequently is. I think its encouraged by some haulage companies.. No sane LGV driver would drive that close , it is a highly dangerous practice . The two second rule should be adhered to . problem is whilst your maintaining the two second rule some arsehole in his large German car forces his way into it putting themselves and you in danger "

. Good point but I just drop back then. I would prefer to be late in this life than arrive too early in the next .

I really do not have a problem with (most) trucks doing the speed they do. Trucks are moving stuff around for all of us, a job that has to be done, and is usually done well. Ok there is a problem with some bad drivers and of course there is the issue of a few foreign drivers not really being up to standard, but most are good.

The issue I have is with the car drivers who either pay little attention to other road users and tootle along in their own little world either too fast or too slow or hogging the middle lane.

Oh, and caravans of course!!

By *bfoxxxMan  over a year ago

Crete or LANCASTER

If they are in front, they can do w the f they want.

It's your problem.

Deal with it.

Be grateful.

"Worse than this I found when driving a hgv is car drivers slowly slowing down while on the phone or texting without realising they are doing it. From above in ur lorry u can see the phone. As u catch and start to overtake they suddenly realise what they are doing and roar away leaving u stuck in the middle or outside lane like a Pratt.

Outside lane.... are trucks allowed there now? "

Only if you're Polish lol

carrbrook stalybridge

"Worse than this I found when driving a hgv is car drivers slowly slowing down while on the phone or texting without realising they are doing it. From above in ur lorry u can see the phone. As u catch and start to overtake they suddenly realise what they are doing and roar away leaving u stuck in the middle or outside lane like a Pratt.

Outside lane.... are trucks allowed there now? "

dual cariegeway?

By *mnipotent_BehemothMan  over a year ago

near Merry Hill shopping centre

The best answer to this is the A14 which should have been built as a 3 lane motorway but never was, is the outside lane lorry ban at peek times.

As someone who spent many years as a PSV driver coaching (who can't use his skills for hire and reward now because he couldn't be arsed doing driver CPC to waste his time and money) most HGV drivers drive too close for comfort, I used to hate being stuck between two wagons where I couldn't use the extra speed (62mph or 70 depending on the age or the coach) and having the one behind trying to climb into the boot, wagons crumple zones are the cab and the load if they do run into the back of you it's several passengers.

denton

"i drive a few hundred miles a week,why do HGVs overtake another doing about 1 mph more on the A34 in oxford one took over 4 minutes for this maneuver, causing a tailback, can anyone explain this as their journey time saved is one truck length,ive also had cars do the same but not as often

It's your problem.

Deal with it.

Be grateful. "

take it you drive a hgv yourself, so if theres a tailback would make it awkward if a anbulance was in a rush

"i drive a few hundred miles a week,why do HGVs overtake another doing about 1 mph more on the A34 in oxford one took over 4 minutes for this maneuver, causing a tailback, can anyone explain this as their journey time saved is one truck length,ive also had cars do the same but not as often. Their speeds are controlled by a,speed limiter and how many motorists actually let then out when they need to overtake in heavy traffic . Is your journey as important as that of the HGV who is delivering the goods that we consume?"

Yes my journey is as important, Lorry Drivers aren't superior or some special breed, It does make me laugh when people think they are important because they deliver bloody bog rolls and Cuppa Soup

Alonso Gimp

carrbrook stalybridge

Ok so we will stop delivering you bog rolls cuppa soups and all the other things you need to live in this country I give it a month and there will be anarchy

"Ok so we will stop delivering you bog rolls cuppa soups and all the other things you need to live in this country I give it a month and there will be anarchy "

And the same goes for the Travelling Salesman and the Payroll people and the Store Staff, Oh and lets not forget the paying Customers.

As i said nobody is more important or Superior just because of the size of vehicle they drive.

Gimp

Hertford

"i drive a few hundred miles a week,why do HGVs overtake another doing about 1 mph more on the A34 in oxford one took over 4 minutes for this maneuver, causing a tailback, can anyone explain this as their journey time saved is one truck length,ive also had cars do the same but not as often

It's your problem.

Deal with it.

Be grateful. take it you drive a hgv yourself, so if theres a tailback would make it awkward if a anbulance was in a rush"

. If an ambulance was in a rush , the blue lights would be flashing and motorists including lgvs would move over to let it through . .

I suppose the ones complaining about lorries also believe that lorries should slow down on motorways to allow a car to join it from a slip road lol

carrbrook stalybridge

"I suppose the ones complaining about lorries also believe that lorries should slow down on motorways to allow a car to join it from a slip road lol "

» Add a new message to this topic