FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > £20 fine for idleing in Camden; Islington, and now Westminster

£20 fine for idleing in Camden; Islington, and now Westminster

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *he tactile technician OP   Man  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

As a pedestrian there is one particular practise that motorists seem to think is OK, which quite frankly I think demonstrates what selfish ignorant 'Clarkson' enemies of the environment they can be.

Idleing their engines when stationery. The practise of parking up, and nipping out their motor for something from the corner shop, or equivalent. At last, another London Borough is to impose fixed penalty notices for ideling when stationery, isn't it about time that this was imposed nationally? what possible excuse can anyone have for thinking that this measure of ignorance is acceptable?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What about fining people for using their phones unnecessarily?

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

What about Bradford, they've got an Idle mens working club?

By *he tactile technician OP   Man  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

"What about Bradford, they've got an Idle mens working club? "

I trust that this is open to membership for women? Perhaps you should explore and set in place a recruitment campaign for the idle women to join FAB

Next we won't be allowed to rev the engine past 5000rpm

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Yep, it makes sense. Fine should be £100 at least though.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

they get out and leave the keys in their car?

It makes no difference they never issue any of these fines anyhow.

It's currently a grand for dog shit... Do you see wayward dog owners running scared.

Better to just have stop start technology

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

My ex-boss got the ultimate "fine" for doing this - had the company car stolen! This was in rural Dorset so I`m amazed that anyone would even consider doing this in London!

Great idea, another way to get money from drivers, as if they don't pay enough already.

How about all the ignorant pedestrians who just walk out in the road to cross when ever they feel like it or run across roads because they might miss their bus, this would potentially do a lot more damage to other people then leaving your engine running.

We should bring in the only good thing in America, fine them if they don't cross at designated crossings.

And don't get me started on cyclists.

Rant over.

Goodbye

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

How would that tackle the issue of unnecessary pollution caused by drivers idling?

You haven't thought this through, have you?

By *rafty98Man  over a year ago

herts

Working in London I would never dream of getting out of my car and leaving it on as the chances of it idling and still being there when I return are very slim.

Most cars these days come with an auto cut off for when you stop which is a great idea.

No, but give me time I will come up with a tenuous link to pollution and saving the environment.

By *oodyshere2011Man  over a year ago

Midlands

Another crap law that we are putting into the justice system ........ How about we spend the time looking at punishing people with proper sentences instead of worrying about people sitting in there car ... Wasting there only money!!!!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

As car automation and tracking/public surveillance become ingrained into life, we will each become revenue generators for various bodies of the state and businesses.

I detest unsafe car use and environmental pollution.

The added knife that could stab us all in the back is massively increased austerity cuts from the Conservatives, if they are reelected in any form in May.

Council budgets will have drastic cuts, so ways of raising cash locally will probably mushroom out. They wont even tell us where £12 billions will be cut from, so expect society to go down the pan even further.

This has been an offence for decades, but it looks like the local councils can now enforce it.

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

I don't know anyone who would do that here in London?! Ever ....

What a load of bollocks! They can piss off!

They got bigger fish to fry.

...can't stand all this. Even in my local area, they're now planning on enforcing a 20mph zone for the whole borough. I might as well fucking walk it. It'd be quicker!

It's like they're trying to punish all the drivers.

Wankers

"As a pedestrian there is one particular practise that motorists seem to think is OK, which quite frankly I think demonstrates what selfish ignorant 'Clarkson' enemies of the environment they can be.

Idleing their engines when stationery. The practise of parking up, and nipping out their motor for something from the corner shop, or equivalent. At last, another London Borough is to impose fixed penalty notices for ideling when stationery, isn't it about time that this was imposed nationally? what possible excuse can anyone have for thinking that this measure of ignorance is acceptable? "

Is this a joke?

"As car automation and tracking/public surveillance become ingrained into life, we will each become revenue generators for various bodies of the state and businesses.

I detest unsafe car use and environmental pollution.

The added knife that could stab us all in the back is massively increased austerity cuts from the Conservatives, if they are reelected in any form in May.

Council budgets will have drastic cuts, so ways of raising cash locally will probably mushroom out. They wont even tell us where £12 billions will be cut from, so expect society to go down the pan even further. "

I'm sorry but this country has been bleeding itself dry for years now.

All this environmental bullshit is getting to much.

Now you can drive on the road without paying road tax because your car is good for the environment???? Ok so who's gona pay for the maintenance if the road???

VED is collected by central government, county councils are responsible for road maintenance, only a tiny fraction of VED makes it's way to local authorities.

By *layfull pairingCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

I absentmindedly dropped a fag end out of the car window ( i know i shouldnt have but wasnt thinking) & got a £75 fine.... Seventy five quid !!! oh and bristol has more 20 mph zones and traffic cameras than anywhere else in the world (just made that up) and because its the green capital of europe (true) we seem to bend over backwards for fucking cyclists and have a bus that runs on poo..... (also true) ... anyway, thats my whinge for the day

"I absentmindedly dropped a fag end out of the car window ( i know i shouldnt have but wasnt thinking) & got a £75 fine.... Seventy five quid !!! oh and bristol has more 20 mph zones and traffic cameras than anywhere else in the world (just made that up) and because its the green capital of europe (true) we seem to bend over backwards for fucking cyclists and have a bus that runs on poo..... (also true) ... anyway, thats my whinge for the day "

I'm pleased they take littering seriously where you live , I wish my local council were as officious.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

OMG ...that bus that runs on poo ....you smell it coming a few minutes before it arrives ...I had to get off my bike to vomit the first time I encountered it !!!

"I absentmindedly dropped a fag end out of the car window ( i know i shouldnt have but wasnt thinking) & got a £75 fine.... Seventy five quid !!! oh and bristol has more 20 mph zones and traffic cameras than anywhere else in the world (just made that up) and because its the green capital of europe (true) we seem to bend over backwards for fucking cyclists and have a bus that runs on poo..... (also true) ... anyway, thats my whinge for the day "

It's one of the reasons we moved there

Wow a mixed response and evident that a few people dont see the bigger picture and only think about their pockets.

Cancer will now affect 1 in every 2 people. That's 50% of the population and although the survival rates are higher then they used to be I'm sure no one would wish to get it.

Global warming will cause freak weather and the melting if the ice caps leading to more flooding.

Pollution helps cause both the above to happen. Turning off your car instead of leaving it idle might not sound a big deal but if all drivers stopped doing it think how much less pollutates would be pumped into tbe air especially when there is 1 billion car drivers in the world

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Found it highly amusing that the Leader of Bristol City Council (or whatever the organisation is) the "ultra green I don`t own a car and use the bus and cycle everywhere" Mr ? George got done for speeding recently whilst driving a council pool car!

By *amslam1000Man  over a year ago

willenhall

It's an "EU" regulation about idling engines been that way for years.

"bleeding us dry" W T F !! if you followed the rules you would be ok, why o why would you need to go into the centre of a town to stop a car and let it run only this weekend we had smog off the continent from all the eastern factories and cars, were doing good but every one on the planet needs to do more

I'm all in favour of deterring stupidity like this, make it £2000 give the council even more reason to enforce it, not only the environmental issue because people who get their car stolen from doing this, I bet don't tell their insurance company this, who pays then, all of us.

"Wow a mixed response and evident that a few people dont see the bigger picture and only think about their pockets.

Cancer will now affect 1 in every 2 people. That's 50% of the population and although the survival rates are higher then they used to be I'm sure no one would wish to get it.

Global warming will cause freak weather and the melting if the ice caps leading to more flooding.

Pollution helps cause both the above to happen. Turning off your car instead of leaving it idle might not sound a big deal but if all drivers stopped doing it think how much less pollutates would be pumped into tbe air especially when there is 1 billion car drivers in the world"

It totally amazes me how people genuinely think there's no consequences to modern human lifestyle choices and that's the keyword choices.

Small changes by the masses make big differences on the whole.

By *histler21Man  over a year ago

Ipswich

"As a pedestrian there is one particular practise that motorists seem to think is OK, which quite frankly I think demonstrates what selfish ignorant 'Clarkson' enemies of the environment they can be.

Idleing their engines when stationery. The practise of parking up, and nipping out their motor for something from the corner shop, or equivalent. At last, another London Borough is to impose fixed penalty notices for ideling when stationery, isn't it about time that this was imposed nationally? what possible excuse can anyone have for thinking that this measure of ignorance is acceptable? "

I'm sure my car instructions say to leave the engine running to let the turbo cool down/prevent undue wear and tear.

Idleing their engines when stationery. The practise of parking up, and nipping out their motor for something from the corner shop, or equivalent. At last, another London Borough is to impose fixed penalty notices for ideling when stationery, isn't it about time that this was imposed nationally? what possible excuse can anyone have for thinking that this measure of ignorance is acceptable?

I'm sure my car instructions say to leave the engine running to let the turbo cool down/prevent undue wear and tear."

I believe it's for around 30 seconds after heavy usage.

If you've got stop start technology on the car the computer will leave it running for the desired time!

I'm sure my car instructions say to leave the engine running to let the turbo cool down/prevent undue wear and tear."

Quite true, not really necessary on modern TDI though.

But high powered, or tuned up and its a must. Lots of people install turbo timers for this reason

As motorists it costs a tonne of money to be legal on the road especially if your young,, petrol is expensive, car tax expensive etc etc, so if someone want to waste their money by leaving it running while nipping in to the shop thats down to the individual, however i dont think its sensible as the likely hood of the car being stolen etc is increased or the car slipping in to gear etc

"As motorists it costs a tonne of money to be legal on the road especially if your young,, petrol is expensive, car tax expensive etc etc, so if someone want to waste their money by leaving it running while nipping in to the shop thats down to the individual, however i dont think its sensible as the likely hood of the car being stolen etc is increased or the car slipping in to gear etc

"

It's illegal to leave a car running while not being supervised... Always has been.

By *amslam1000Man  over a year ago

willenhall

if you can't leave a vehicle idling how do you charge the airbrakes on a HGV?

£20 for idling in Westminster. You can bet every single one of those 650 idle bastards claim it on expenses.

More work and same result from a senna pod.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"What a load of bollocks! They can piss off!

They got bigger fish to fry.

...can't stand all this. Even in my local area, they're now planning on enforcing a 20mph zone for the whole borough. I might as well fucking walk it. It'd be quicker!

It's like they're trying to punish all the drivers.

Wankers

"

Islington is already a 20mph borough.

It's funny to see something making you cross, Popeye.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

To be fair, with all those roundabouts you really can't get up to more than 20mph before having to stop at another roundabout.

I'm glad the fine was enforced for your littering though. I once posted the litter dropped from a car back through their window.

BOLLOCKS! or F**KING BOLLOCKS as Mr Clarkson might say!

Very true & so many people don't realize that this applies to the vast majority of diesel engines.

"I'm all in favour of deterring stupidity like this, make it £2000 give the council even more reason to enforce it, not only the environmental issue because people who get their car stolen from doing this, I bet don't tell their insurance company this, who pays then, all of us."
I'm pretty sure that few (if any) insurance firms actually "pay out" if you leave a car open, unattended, with the engine running & gets taken without consent. Would be interested to know of anyone who has.

"I'm all in favour of deterring stupidity like this, make it £2000 give the council even more reason to enforce it, not only the environmental issue because people who get their car stolen from doing this, I bet don't tell their insurance company this, who pays then, all of us.I'm pretty sure that few (if any) insurance firms actually "pay out" if you leave a car open, unattended, with the engine running & gets taken without consent. Would be interested to know of anyone who has."

Ahem, when i was younger i err found a couple of 'em.

"Wow a mixed response and evident that a few people dont see the bigger picture and only think about their pockets.

Pollution helps cause both the above to happen. Turning off your car instead of leaving it idle might not sound a big deal but if all drivers stopped doing it think how much less pollutates would be pumped into tbe air especially when there is 1 billion car drivers in the world"

At what point does idiling cause more pollution then starting your engine?

To start the car uses a large injection of fuel burnt quickly which means more excess fumes??????

Plus people that live there lives by statistics needs to get a life

» Add a new message to this topic