FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > TV Rip off

TV Rip off

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icefellatwo OP   Man  over a year ago

hastings

My son is ill in hospital and wants to watch tv £20 for two nights so not only are you ill but they make you feel sick with the charges.

Why no free Wi -fi .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's all about the bottom line

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I had to pay for the tv and radio too. I don't think the NHS has entertainment as a priority for its spending........for the patients at least.

Forum Mod

Patient line who put those tvs in our hospital have nothing to do with the NHS,they are an independent company

I agree the prices are a rip off

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Patient line who put those tvs in our hospital have nothing to do with the NHS,they are an independent company

I agree the prices are a rip off"

I was assuming that if it were to be free the money would have to come from the NHS budget.

They should have a family room with a tv in. Most wards so anyway.

Then there are the extortionate car park prices when you want to visit

I work I a hospital and I agree it is a rip off. They don't even have a TV lounge anymore. A lot of elderly can't afford to pay so just sit being bored.

"I work I a hospital and I agree it is a rip off. They don't even have a TV lounge anymore. A lot of elderly can't afford to pay so just sit being bored."

When did they get rid of these?

By *oward1978Man  over a year ago

Rotherham

Power and GREED and corruptible seed seem to be all that there is.

Because it's a national health service made up of privatised and franchised pieces.

"My son is ill in hospital and wants to watch tv £20 for two nights so not only are you ill but they make you feel sick with the charges.

Why no free Wi -fi . "

It's a damn sight cheaper than having to pay monthly Health care insurance constantly hoping you have enough cover to protect against the worst if it does happen.

Forum Mod

"Patient line who put those tvs in our hospital have nothing to do with the NHS,they are an independent company

I was assuming that if it were to be free the money would have to come from the NHS budget."

Yes it would, the televisions that were provided free were all stolen

My son was in the Brompton in November , he spent 2 nights in the high dependancy unit and I was really surprised when the nurse said there was free wifi. Gave him my Netflix account details and he was happy as a pig in shit which considering he had just had a pigs valve put in was quite apt

hastings

I was assuming that if it were to be free the money would have to come from the NHS budget."

It doesn't need to be free but a sensible price

hastings

"My son was in the Brompton in November , he spent 2 nights in the high dependancy unit and I was really surprised when the nurse said there was free wifi. Gave him my Netflix account details and he was happy as a pig in shit which considering he had just had a pigs valve put in was quite apt "

Yes that's what it needs free Wi-Fi

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I was assuming that if it were to be free the money would have to come from the NHS budget.

It doesn't need to be free but a sensible price "

I do agree with that, it isn't affordable at all

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

It is a rip off and unless the NHS is getting a cut then I am surprised they are happy for people to be charged so much.

Having said that, it is a good time to catch up on a good book instead

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I am guessing free Wi fi would have to be paid by someone though so I would rather it wasn't out of the NHS pocket.

hastings

"It is a rip off and unless the NHS is getting a cut then I am surprised they are happy for people to be charged so much.

Having said that, it is a good time to catch up on a good book instead "

My boy wanted to watch the golf as he was a good golfer and is not going to play again

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I am sure it will be on again if you dont want to pay the high price.

When I had a 5 day stay in hospital I read a whole book and slept a lot. They had some free radio stations if you wanted some music or light entertainment.

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS  over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

makes the bbc license fee seem reasonable then

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman  over a year ago

West Midlands

It's the conservatives who brought commercial enterprise into the NHS

Vote labour in May

And what about getting a cup of tea or coffee in a hospital cafeteria now? One of my local hospitals has a very expensive cafe and equally expensive restaurant and staff don't have their own one. It must cost them a fortune on long shifts. Another has a Costa and a friends of the hospital booth too with proper tea,cake and biscuits at reasonable prices.

By *nterracial2Couple  over a year ago

Ribble Valley

All due to Mr Cameron's Tory policy on privatisation of the NHS. Free at point of service, but the nuts and crannies are filled with money grabbing "entrepreneurs" making money from your misfortune.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I was in Poole hospital for one night last week. Radio was 100% free without any pre-conditions. It advertised free mainstream tv and local phone calls but you had to buy the minimum package to be able to access the free tv and calls!

"My son is ill in hospital and wants to watch tv £20 for two nights so not only are you ill but they make you feel sick with the charges.

Why no free Wi -fi .

It's a damn sight cheaper than having to pay monthly Health care insurance constantly hoping you have enough cover to protect against the worst if it does happen."

Sorry but have to disagree.The amount I pay in N.I. contributions would cover the best policies going many times over.

"All due to Mr Cameron's Tory policy on privatisation of the NHS. Free at point of service, but the nuts and crannies are filled with money grabbing "entrepreneurs" making money from your misfortune."

Going to add when I was in Bournemouth hospital for 14 days in 2002 you only had free radio! so bugger all to do with David Cameron even though it grates me to day it!

It sounds rather crass but if you're going to be poorly best to be poorly in Scotland.

"All due to Mr Cameron's Tory policy on privatisation of the NHS. Free at point of service, but the nuts and crannies are filled with money grabbing "entrepreneurs" making money from your misfortune.

Going to add when I was in Bournemouth hospital for 14 days in 2002 you only had free radio! so bugger all to do with David Cameron even though it grates me to day it!"

Was thinking similar. Been going on a lot longer than Cameron's been about

"It sounds rather crass but if you're going to be poorly best to be poorly in Scotland. "

Why?

My business partner had a two week spell in the eye unit in Gartnavel in Glasgow and he said the TV was the size of a sheet of A4 and 15 feet away on the other side of the room. No Wifi and the food was chronic! it's no land of milk and honey up here and like in England, depends where you are.

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

Hmm, it's changed in my local hospital. When my Mum was there 3 years ago we had to buy top-up cards for her to watch TV. Now TV and Wi-Fi is free and a lot of the wards still also have family rooms with a TV and refreshments.

- Amy. x

Why no free Wi -fi . "

The NHS replaced one Sister with 5 Managers who got same rate of pay so 5 times cost to NHS. They have to justify expenditure of everything, so cost benefit on everything. So cost of putting in TV service etc when free _iew came in to expensive for hospitals so had to be contracted out, so the bid winners charge to recoup their outlay in a few years not longterm as NHS always has. Car Parks again a way of raising revenue for Hospitals, used to help supplement falling Government incomes.

West Midlands

Have you thought of buying a portable WiFi box from EE like I've got

Ill upload the photo now

It's about £35

Uses its own top up payg sim

I use mine everywhere

Especially visiting my friends in Worcester mental health hospital

West Midlands

"Have you thought of buying a portable WiFi box from EE like I've got

Ill upload the photo now

It's about £35

Uses its own top up payg sim

I use mine everywhere

Especially visiting my friends in Worcester mental health hospital

"

Trying to add the photo

My tattooed hand is clearly visible in the photo but it's been rejected twice which has now taken me over my daily allowance

Not sure how that's my fault

So I've emailed it and asked if they'd relent

hastings

So visiting my son

Car park charges £2.80 for 2 hours

been in 14 days £39.20

Tv charges 14 days £140.00

When someone is very sick and not earning

that makes sense to rip them off

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Why no free Wi -fi . "

I doubt the hospital made him ill, even so, if they did, they dont have to provide him with FREE entertainment.

Theres no proof it helps you recover quicker, so is in no interest to the NHS to have this service.

The people who put the technology in place are the ones who rake it in, that is if people pay it.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

You might be able to claim car park fee's back if your on any kind of benifit, dont take my word for it but ask, you have nothing to lose

Forum Mod

"So visiting my son

Car park charges £2.80 for 2 hours

been in 14 days £39.20

Tv charges 14 days £140.00

When someone is very sick and not earning

that makes sense to rip them off"

Most hospitals have reduced parking rates for frequent visitors to long term patients or for patients with certain conditions,maybe you should enquire

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

I was in for 21 days last year ... bored out of my brain!!! ive never read so many magazines!!! I bet private rooms have TV !

couldn't knock the care I had though and that matters more than a TV

parking fees for everyone was ridiculous also

By *onbons_xxMan  over a year ago

Bolton

PatoentLine must make a shedload from the charges, I think it even charges people to receive calls, I know that it's used to at least

The parking charges are a money maker for the hospital, it is just as bad in some ways, but the numbers they're asked to budget for just don't add up and they think it's an easy win

"PatoentLine must make a shedload from the charges, I think it even charges people to receive calls, I know that it's used to at least

The parking charges are a money maker for the hospital, it is just as bad in some ways, but the numbers they're asked to budget for just don't add up and they think it's an easy win "

Poole Hospital is temptingly close to the town centre to make it a possibility for shoppers to use it hence keeping hospital users out, especially around Xmas. As has been said before, you can get discounted parking if you`re a frequent user but you do have to ask. The guys in the pay office were very good to me after I spent all night at my Mum`s bedside after she had a heart attack. Let me off as long as I chucked a couple of quid in the charity box!

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I think it depends on the hospital - my mam was recently in our big general hospital for a while and the packages were £15 for 2 days and there were several different packages which was a complete rip off and unfortunately she wasn't strong enough to get to a day room (I dunno if the day rooms had communal telly anyhow)...she then came back to our local cottage hospital where the ward had a TV which cost nothing, but had to be shared (fortunately she was the only one on the ward so got it all to herself)

I had a month of visiting my Father, used to park 15 mins away and walk rather than pay extortionate parking fees. Good exercise as well!

As for the TV, the company running it has gone bust a few times, the units are massively over engineered and the costs are ridiculous. So having spent a fortune installing them all, they are forced to try and recoup their capital costs with a mad pricing structure.

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

the radio was free and for the tv you had to pay for it however when transfering beds its none transferable 20.00 I think it was

for the younger ones we use technology a ds can have films and music on it

as you can now take phones into the hospital you can use phone internet and also able to watch what you like on any item of choice nowadays

but you can not charge them only a mobile phone can be charged at hospital

items you can take is laptop, notebook, ds, but you still have to be careful of thieves

If schools can go out an buy 30 to 50 ipads then think hospitals can

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"If schools can go out an buy 30 to 50 ipads then think hospitals can "

schools have a remit to educate so thats maybe a good use of resources, hospitals are there to mend etc..

not entertain..

For those who think it's scandalous for hospitals to charge for parking (which pays for the cost of building it, maintaining it etc) - which hospital services do you think should be cut to provide free parking for your cars? Cancer care? Child services? Cardiac care? Maternity? As for free tv, I'm sure these money-grabbing hospitals could do without an MRI unit, X-ray units or they could even use local supermarket shopping trolleys instead of those expensive wheelchairs.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"For those who think it's scandalous for hospitals to charge for parking (which pays for the cost of building it, maintaining it etc) - which hospital services do you think should be cut to provide free parking for your cars? Cancer care? Child services? Cardiac care? Maternity? As for free tv, I'm sure these money-grabbing hospitals could do without an MRI unit, X-ray units or they could even use local supermarket shopping trolleys instead of those expensive wheelchairs. "

agree with a lot of that..

maybe if folks attended appointments and returned wheelchairs, crutches etc there may be more in the pot to treat a few more patients..

By *gNeMan  over a year ago

Harrogate

"For those who think it's scandalous for hospitals to charge for parking (which pays for the cost of building it, maintaining it etc) - which hospital services do you think should be cut to provide free parking for your cars? Cancer care? Child services? Cardiac care? Maternity? As for free tv, I'm sure these money-grabbing hospitals could do without an MRI unit, X-ray units or they could even use local supermarket shopping trolleys instead of those expensive wheelchairs. "

The maintenance costs to a car park are nothing in comparison to what they rake in with extortionate fees.

Also pretty sure no-one is suggesting cutting medical services to subsidise parking .

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

the other problem I had when I was in was that I couldn't get a decent signal on my phone which everyone was complaining about

That the trouble with capitalism, got to make a profit at all costs.

Now in the old USSR they had a great health care system, soon as your ill they killed you, no fucking about with cures.

By *gNeMan  over a year ago

Harrogate

"That the trouble with capitalism, got to make a profit at all costs.

Now in the old USSR they had a great health care system, soon as your ill they killed you, no fucking about with cures."

And we all know that the only alternative to capitalism is a human rights abusing dictatorial regime.

I thought this was about Tranny hookers who charge too much

I remember phoning someone in hospital on there tv/phone package when they first come out. Call lasted roughly 3 minutes and I had 5 pounds credit in my phone, never again...... They have a Greggs in Wolverhampton. There's big money in poor health.

"For those who think it's scandalous for hospitals to charge for parking (which pays for the cost of building it, maintaining it etc) - which hospital services do you think should be cut to provide free parking for your cars? Cancer care? Child services? Cardiac care? Maternity? As for free tv, I'm sure these money-grabbing hospitals could do without an MRI unit, X-ray units or they could even use local supermarket shopping trolleys instead of those expensive wheelchairs.

The maintenance costs to a car park are nothing in comparison to what they rake in with extortionate fees.

Also pretty sure no-one is suggesting cutting medical services to subsidise parking ."

If they did,let's start with cosmetic enhancement surgery and boobs jobs for non deserving young women who want to be glamour models,non EC medical tourists who come here and take the piss and gender re - assignment then wishing to change back to their original sex a few years later.

There's a few for starters. That'd save a few bob surely.

hastings

Thanks for all your comments very interesting .

Unfortunatly its all sorted they are moving him to the hospice .

Car parking free and tv and Wi-Fi free

Very sad day

[Removed by poster at 24/03/15 20:45:31]

when my daughter was in she was lucky to share a room with 3 other youngish women - they put together to watch tv - it was free up to a certain time but later on in the day they had to pay

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"Thanks for all your comments very interesting .

Very sad day "

I hope he gets the most loving care there. I am sure he will.

All the best at a very tough time

Let me let you in on a little secret..

QA was built by Carillion

As were 17 other new hospitals around the UK in the last 10yrs

Carrilion OWN those hospitals

Carrilion LEASE the premises to the NHS on the condition that the NHS pay them the build cost plus X% over 20yrs

Carllion CHARGE for maintenance, etcI ON TOP!

At QA - the maintenance costs for the carpark including electric, security, etc is lass than £10k per year.

They made that in less than a month in January

Now try telling me who pays for it all...

"Because it's a national health service made up of privatised and franchised pieces."

Yup.

By *onbons_xxMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Some hospitals have guest wi-fi codes, but maybe not as widespread as I'd have thought.

It's weird when hospitals talk about the holistic patient plan this kind of thing where stays may be longer than shirt term makes a difference yet doesn't seem to get addressed as they've been aware of the general gist of it for ages.

Raise the issue with their pals unit, it needn't be formal but they may be able to help.

"And what about getting a cup of tea or coffee in a hospital cafeteria now? One of my local hospitals has a very expensive cafe and equally expensive restaurant and staff don't have their own one. It must cost them a fortune on long shifts. Another has a Costa and a friends of the hospital booth too with proper tea,cake and biscuits at reasonable prices."
At our old hospital we used to have a League of friends hut where they served hot sausage rolls, cakes, biscuits, tea and coffee amongst other Things, used to also remember the library book trolley which two ladies used to take around the wards which The red cross were Involved in running

Being a x-ray porter I enjoyed my breaks in the league of friends.

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Wisbech and A47 corridor

Very sad day "

. Sorry to hear that . I found it difficult to make any constructive comments on your post. Our thoughts are with you in a difficult time .

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Very sad day "

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you all.

Buy a MiFi with loaded sim card from Three and get unlimited data. That will let the person going in hospital set up a personal wifi hotspot to log their phone, tablet into and watch tv etc on there.

There are reliable sellers of preloaded sims and MiFi on ebay or three online/in store

Very sad day "

Our thoughts are with you, your son and family.

hastings

Thank you all for your kind thoughts x

By *henomenonMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Why no free Wi -fi . "

Luck of the draw only some hospitals charge something to do with outside contractors

» Add a new message to this topic