FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > electrician quick

electrician quick

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Pretty please.

I have a triple light switch with a loose blue wire, help.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Two of the rockers are two way.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If it's still in the terminal can't you nip up the screw to tighten it ?

"If it's still in the terminal can't you nip up the screw to tighten it ?

"

Are you an electrician?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

118 got your number?

"118 got your number? "

Are you an electrician?"

I am I just printed a diploma off the internet..

What seems to be the problem?..

If you wet your hands a bit and touch the wire that will confirm if or not there is power there.

Are you an electrician?

If you wet your hands a bit and touch the wire that will confirm if or not there is power there.

"

You want a slap!

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

sounds silly but a loose blue wire could be something and could be to switch a light on

due to its a 3 way switch it could be the return to neutral or

it could be the neutral to switch a light on

it could even be the neutral for the circuit of the other lights

have you got a neutral block inside the switch

is the 3 way switch connected to the staircase light or another light in source

the only option above is do it live after putting a connector block on the loose wire and checking your lights for what did work before the loose wire

Are you an electrician?"

Yes

How do you know there is a loose blue wire?

Are you qualified to dismantle whatever you have obviously dismantled in order to find the blue wire?

Has some goon dismantled it for you or have you dismantled it yourself?

Is the other end of the blue wire connected to anything, and if so, what?

I have it sorted, I discovered the circuits inside the switch for the two way lights and the third. Remedied the problem I had with the loose blue wire shorting out the third light.

"sounds silly but a loose blue wire could be something and could be to switch a light on

due to its a 3 way switch it could be the return to neutral or

it could be the neutral to switch a light on

it could even be the neutral for the circuit of the other lights

have you got a neutral block inside the switch

is the 3 way switch connected to the staircase light or another light in source

the only option above is do it live after putting a connector block on the loose wire and checking your lights for what did work before the loose wire "

I did that but by completely moving blue wire away from metal when testing. It was that which helped me discover the circuits.

Are you an electrician?

Yes "

And you think someone would ask for assistance if a screw needed tightening?

Technically speaking your meant to over sleeve it if your using the blue core as a phase.

Many don't because if your an electrician you can tell if it's a neutral or a phase by looking at it 99% of the time.

If your really strict... Or you work for the council, you buy twin brown switch cable

"Technically speaking your meant to over sleeve it if your using the blue core as a phase.

Many don't because if your an electrician you can tell if it's a neutral or a phase by looking at it 99% of the time.

If your really strict... Or you work for the council, you buy twin brown switch cable

"

I just wanted to know which of the 9 terminals the blue one had come out of.

"Technically speaking your meant to over sleeve it if your using the blue core as a phase.

I just wanted to know which of the 9 terminals the blue one had come out of."

Ah well bearing in mind I'm not an electrician the first thing to check is if it's a neutral or phase... If it's a neutral its probably come out of a separate block..... its also likely to be a unsleeved phase cable-switch live back to the fitting and depending on how the person wired it , one of the two at the bottom l1 or l2. With c at the top being common(permanent live) wired this way the permanent(brown) and the switch(blue) get overlapped into l1 and l2 with the straps( these are the wires that connect the two switches together to allow 2 way switching.

That's if it's wired as a two way

I just wanted to know which of the 9 terminals the blue one had come out of..

Ah well bearing in mind I'm not an electrician the first thing to check is if it's a neutral or phase... If it's a neutral its probably come out of a separate block..... its also likely to be a unsleeved phase cable-switch live back to the fitting and depending on how the person wired it , one of the two at the bottom l1 or l2. With c at the top being common(permanent live) wired this way the permanent(brown) and the switch(blue) get overlapped into l1 and l2 with the straps( these are the wires that connect the two switches together to allow 2 way switching.

That's if it's wired as a two way "

Old switch, and I sorted it. Thanks though.

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Hertford

I just wanted to know which of the 9 terminals the blue one had come out of..

That's if it's wired as a two way "

. A uswfull post ..I always have trouble when I replace two way light switches . The new fittings are never identical to the old ones .

Are you an electrician?

Yes

And you think someone would ask for assistance if a screw needed tightening?"

Oh you are quite the lovely person aren't you...sarcasm in reply to a genuine question, which was in return to your vague question in the first instance...

... I'm surprised you asked this on a swingers forum, I could think of more appropriate places, considering you wanted professional advice.

Are you an electrician?

Yes

And you think someone would ask for assistance if a screw needed tightening?"

Yes - because I appreciate that in life some people are as thick as pig shit ! I encounter them on a day to day basis !!!

Sorry I tried to be of assistance, be assured I'll never do it again.

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Hertford

Are you an electrician?

Yes

Oh you are quite the lovely person aren't you...sarcasm in reply to a genuine question, which was in return to your vague question in the first instance...

... I'm surprised you asked this on a swingers forum, I could think of more appropriate places, considering you wanted professional advice."

. These forums are very useful for obtaining information and lots of members offer constructive help on various diy topics on a regular basis . Their contributions are much appreciated .

Are you an electrician?

Yes

Yes - because I appreciate that in life some people are as thick as pig shit ! I encounter them on a day to day basis !!!

Sorry I tried to be of assistance, be assured I'll never do it again."

[Removed by poster at 21/03/15 23:41:37]

Are you an electrician?

Yes

... I'm surprised you asked this on a swingers forum, I could think of more appropriate places, considering you wanted professional advice.. These forums are very useful for obtaining information and lots of members offer constructive help on various diy topics on a regular basis . Their contributions are much appreciated ."

It would appear that the OP doesn't appreciate that particular contribution

So, Non-vanillaCupcake - a word to the wise ..... first of all if you ask for advise in a forum from a professional, and by that I mean someone who has spent time and money to learn their trade (remember you are asking for FREE advice) - accept all advice with good grace and don't take the piss when you get a reply that obviously doesn't fit in with what you were expecting. Lets face facts, if you are clever enough to take the piss, you are clever enough to sort your problem in the first place with out asking for help ... yeah ??? .... A tip ! in fault finding, be that electrical or otherwise ... always start at the very beginning - assume nothing and never rule out the silliest, most improbable factor because nine times out of ten it is the silliest most unlikely thing that will be the cause of your fault ie a loose connection or an idiot .........

Ohhh knickers in a twist.

I do appreciate help and there has been plenty for which I'm grateful. I have changed plugs, sockets and put in light fittings. I wouldn't undertake a task I felt unable to do due to potential danger. I'm pretty au fait with diy. However there is always someone more adept than yourself and that's what I was seeking.

I will leave getting a new fuse box and rewiring of house to a pro though

Are you an electrician?

Yes

... I'm surprised you asked this on a swingers forum, I could think of more appropriate places, considering you wanted professional advice.. These forums are very useful for obtaining information and lots of members offer constructive help on various diy topics on a regular basis . Their contributions are much appreciated ."

Nobody has their 'knickers in a twist' OP but if you ask for advice at least have the good grace to accept what people are saying to you and don't take the piss !!! - especially when they accept a logical system of fault finding, ie starting at the beginning and working upwards. In the real world I'd have earned 50quid for giving that information and therefore I take offence at sarcasm from cheeky little shits like you !"

"Nobody has their 'knickers in a twist' OP but if you ask for advice at least have the good grace to accept what people are saying to you and don't take the piss !!! - especially when they accept a logical system of fault finding, ie starting at the beginning and working upwards. In the real world I'd have earned 50quid for giving that information and therefore I take offence at sarcasm from cheeky little shits like you !""

Oh aren't you the lucky boy. You can call me all the names under the sun, it won't bother me. You can remain offended .

By *lshere77Man  over a year ago

Wigan

Are you an electrician?

fuckwit!! think about what advice you give before you kill someone

"

Are you an electrician?

fuckwit!! think about what advice you give before you kill someone

"

I know Ben, it's all said in humour. It is shocking though.

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

id rather offer the advice to those that need it than leave them stranded

out of safety advise certain things to be done hence why suggested a connecter block for spare wire

saying that ive done it often live with a bare wire

"id rather offer the advice to those that need it than leave them stranded

out of safety advise certain things to be done hence why suggested a connecter block for spare wire

saying that ive done it often live with a bare wire "

If I couldn't have worked it out, I'd have covered the blue wire exposed copper with insulating tape until I could get an electrician out. Back from my school days I recall a safe broken circuit does no harm, whereas copper wire and metal, uh uh...

Anyway, thanks to those of you who tried to help a damsel in distress

By *ishopstippleMan  over a year ago

Purley

OMG this poor lady just needs a screw

"OMG this poor lady just needs a screw"

[Removed by poster at 22/03/15 13:57:10]

My advice still stands.

"Nobody has their 'knickers in a twist' OP but if you ask for advice at least have the good grace to accept what people are saying to you and don't take the piss !!! - especially when they accept a logical system of fault finding, ie starting at the beginning and working upwards. In the real world I'd have earned 50quid for giving that information and therefore I take offence at sarcasm from cheeky little shits like you !"

Oh aren't you the lucky boy. You can call me all the names under the sun, it won't bother me. You can remain offended ."

Well no I'm not what you could call a lucky boy, but I did go through all the crap to get my tickets to do what I do and I have no objection to helping anyone out if they are looking for advice but I do object when my kindness is repaid with a piss take. You see if you'd told me that the wire had come out of the terminal and you had no idea where it was originally from, I'd have gone on further with you and tried to help you discover where it was from and how to correct it but instead you felt the best course of action was to take the piss / be sarcastic - your prerogative I suppose but nevertheless not very nice.

"Nobody has their 'knickers in a twist' OP but if you ask for advice at least have the good grace to accept what people are saying to you and don't take the piss !!! - especially when they accept a logical system of fault finding, ie starting at the beginning and working upwards. In the real world I'd have earned 50quid for giving that information and therefore I take offence at sarcasm from cheeky little shits like you !"

Oh aren't you the lucky boy. You can call me all the names under the sun, it won't bother me. You can remain offended .

Well no I'm not what you could call a lucky boy, but I did go through all the crap to get my tickets to do what I do and I have no objection to helping anyone out if they are looking for advice but I do object when my kindness is repaid with a piss take. You see if you'd told me that the wire had come out of the terminal and you had no idea where it was originally from, I'd have gone on further with you and tried to help you discover where it was from and how to correct it but instead you felt the best course of action was to take the piss / be sarcastic - your prerogative I suppose but nevertheless not very nice."

I responded to your comment with a question. You got your knickers in a twist because baubles took it as sarcasm and so did you.

If you had responded with something as simple as - "it's best to start off with the basics because I've seen and experienced all sorts" rather than going into a tirade, you'd probably feel better and wouldn't have come across as up yourself.

You have a worthy trade, which luckily allows you to earn a fair bit if self-employed. So yeah lucky. You ought to think of healthcare professionals who have to take on degrees, masters, doctorates, which take donkeys years, and then the education is still on going. Then they have to give FREE advice

Chill out why get all stressed

» Add a new message to this topic