FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > And the search for a bike begins

And the search for a bike begins

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Starting a new job on monday and its a much longer travel that i can no longer walk

First months pay is going straight into a rapid course for my license and then i just need to choose a bike

Was thinking a nice simple cbr600 or maybe something a bit more fun, triumph tt600 or Gsxr

Then i realised being tall made most of thise choices unconfortable..............god damnit

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Get a Honda VFR 800. My fwb has one and its awesome!! So comfy and smooth!

"Get a Honda VFR 800. My fwb has one and its awesome!! So comfy and smooth!"

Yeah i grew up on the back of a vfr it was comfy just wasnt too keen on the looks

He's wanting a z1000xs now, gonna miss Dora the explorer tourer bike lol

The new model is so sexy, bit pricey though

"The new model is so sexy, bit pricey though"

He wants the 2014 model lol

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple  over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

wanders off after finding out it's not a search for a FB

Depends how much you want to spend. I bought a yamaha yzf 600 thundercat for my first bike, I can't fault it. It's a good commuter but fast as fook when you want it to be. Solid mechanics too. Mines 16 years old and I get 55 to the gallon. There are plenty of forums about which was why I went for mine. Nobody has a bad word to say about them. Good luck and be careful

I'm 6'2" by the way and I'm fine on my thundercat.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

As a new rider, who'll be commuting daily, something that won't be too horrifyingly expensive when you drop it. Nothing with lots of fairing and flashy bits.

Some will pooh-pooh this, I'm sure, but I'm always concerned to see people talking about doing a direct access course and jumping straight onto a CBR600 or bigger bike.

Do you drive OP?

Just noticed... 25 and a new rider, have you looked at insurance prices? That may significantly affect your decision.

I have a Honda NC750x and its probably the best all round bike I've ever owned in 17 years of riding in all weathers. For shorts commutes its great, excellent storage, cheap insurance, great fuel economy. I've owned much bigger more powerful bikes but this bike is great and I love it.

By *estmidscoupleCouple  over a year ago

West Midlands

The 600 Fazer is a nice bike for a taller guy, I'm 6"3 and have one, comfortable on distance. Unlike the stupid R6 I had for less than a year, learning to walk again after getting off it and sore wrists (from motorcycling OBVIOUSLY!) . The old Suzuki Bandits were good for tall guys too

"Just noticed... 25 and a new rider, have you looked at insurance prices? That may significantly affect your decision."

I have looked at insurance

its not too bad most im looking at so far is 700 for the year

i have been riding a 125 for a while so its not like i intend to pass and then jump straight on a 1000cc

"The 600 Fazer is a nice bike for a taller guy, I'm 6"3 and have one, comfortable on distance. Unlike the stupid R6 I had for less than a year, learning to walk again after getting off it and sore wrists (from motorcycling OBVIOUSLY!) . The old Suzuki Bandits were good for tall guys too"

I was looking at the r6 but whenever i get on one i just feel my wrists and legs cramp up because of the riding profile

"As a new rider, who'll be commuting daily, something that won't be too horrifyingly expensive when you drop it. Nothing with lots of fairing and flashy bits.

Some will pooh-pooh this, I'm sure, but I'm always concerned to see people talking about doing a direct access course and jumping straight onto a CBR600 or bigger bike.

Do you drive OP?"

Very sensible post !!!

"Just noticed... 25 and a new rider, have you looked at insurance prices? That may significantly affect your decision.

i have been riding a 125 for a while so its not like i intend to pass and then jump straight on a 1000cc"

Good to hear . A lot do direct access with no experience at all and jump straight on a crotch rocket.

"Just noticed... 25 and a new rider, have you looked at insurance prices? That may significantly affect your decision.

i have been riding a 125 for a while so its not like i intend to pass and then jump straight on a 1000cc

Good to hear . A lot do direct access with no experience at all and jump straight on a crotch rocket."

I have seen too many friends and family nearly kill themselves doing things like that

i am only going up to a 600 and will stay on that size bike for at least 5 years before thinking of moving up

Good to hear . A lot do direct access with no experience at all and jump straight on a crotch rocket.

I have seen too many friends and family nearly kill themselves doing things like that

i am only going up to a 600 and will stay on that size bike for at least 5 years before thinking of moving up"

Do what feels right for you . I hope you find the right bike and stay safe. There are a lot of f'kn idiots out there.

By *andomfodCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Hope you got deep pockets for a rapid pass course. Cbt for a 125 is only a day training!

B

I'm 6,3 and fit on both an r6 and a cbr600 comfortably

i am only going up to a 600 and will stay on that size bike for at least 5 years before thinking of moving up

Do what feels right for you . I hope you find the right bike and stay safe. There are a lot of f'kn idiots out there."

Thank you very much

"Hope you got deep pockets for a rapid pass course. Cbt for a 125 is only a day training!

B"

Thanks to my new job my first paycheck covers it comfortably

Kwak gt550 or zephur of you can find one. I had a z550, great "early" bike. Saying that when i had mine I'd been riding 4 years doing my biking apprenticeship on 50, 100, 125, 250 first. Ah them were the days going to MAG ralleys 2up with the mrs on my old tzr125 laden with camping gear!

Triumph street triple. Do it, you can thank me later ....

Bandit 600 would be ideal commuter and ok for newbie rider. Ive got zx6r and trust me theres no need to go bigger unless you going to be up and down the gears where a 750-1000 may be better but you do get lazy on them with not having to go thru box all the time

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

most race reps will be a bit cramped for you, if you want something comfortable when crunching the miles what about an adventure bike like the bmw Dakar rep or something similar.

Maybe go for a router.

I'm about to chop in my zzr600 for an st1100. much better for twos up. will miss my zzr though. great little bike

I only passed my test 6 months ago, I'm also a tall and big built bloke. I was originally going to by a Fazer (600) but a beautiful Sazuki Marauder 800 caught my eye! It was love at first sight, bought it there and then and never looked back!! Depends what you like really.

"I'm about to chop in my zzr600 for an st1100. much better for twos up. will miss my zzr though. great little bike

"

Should have bought a zz1100 I loved mine!

By *artytwoCouple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Forget the 'crotch rockets' for commuting. Vespa scooter (GTS 300 when you get your license)or similar is great for medium journeys. I do 100-140 miles a week on mine for a tenner worth of fuel. Heated grips, canvas leg cover and high screen. Wizz past traffic queues.

At weekends and days off I terrorise the roads on my black and gold Street Triple. White helmet and flouro green jacket, give me a wave or beep if (when) I piss past at warp 10

Have you heard of wheels 2 work, you can get cut and hire bike off them for as little as £30 a month.

I personally would recommend a cat and 125cc for a year until used to roads

*cbt

What's wrong with a nice BSA bantam or a Tiger cub jolly good British bikes

By *eeds34Man  over a year ago

leeds

I have a z1000sx it's fantastic fast and comfy

Definitely recommend

You are going to get hammered on insurance - you really will.

Look at ER-5, ER-6, DRZ, Bandit 600, etc.

Pennies if you drop it, pattern parts, etc and massive fuel economy.

By *andomfodCouple  over a year ago

walsall

"Hope you got deep pockets for a rapid pass course. Cbt for a 125 is only a day training!

B

Thanks to my new job my first paycheck covers it comfortably"

Get me a job then lol!

By *estmidscoupleCouple  over a year ago

West Midlands

Something sensible in the 600 bracket cos the insurance will indeed be silly money. Met a guy on a stag do many years ago who'd done the DAS and got a Kawasaki 750 and binned it within 2 hours of leaving the sellers - when he was whining about insurance costs I had little sympathy. Choose wisely and ride safe

Insurance may not be that bad. My mates 23 just got zx10r and pays 300 quid. Got 3 year n.c.b.

I got myself a little twist and go scooter for the work commute, people laugh but hey 125mpg all day long and get through smaller gaps than a 600cc.

My other bike is a R1200 GSA, alittle large for just popping to work on. It'll be up for sale soon if you fancy one. You're a tall person, should suit you fine

Putting my mumsy head on now and going to say you don't want anything too powerful. Don't go doing silly things and having silly accidents. It's worrying when you see men speeding down the road on a big,loud motorcycle. One of my buddies came off his on a corner for not taking care. Lucky to be alive. Get a little one that's good on fuel

looking a new bike myself at the min, have spotted a really nice cz6r and a blackbird but cant decide. he would prefer the honda but i duno lol, thats not much help

I am 6' used to ride a 99 R6 with no issues, it was a nice bike. I did 30,000 miles of on it in 2 years, had a few issues with it till I got used to the cramped riding position. It was awful in 30/40 mph zones, it put all your weight on your wrists.

Thanks for all the imput guys and gals

I think once im at a dealership it will most likly be my heart that choses not so much my head

By *renchbambi xWoman  over a year ago

Need to know basis

I have the opposite problem. I am short with short legs. Not many bikes around but i found one (virago 535) that suits me..good luck on your quest, take your time and be safe.

I had a Gixxer 6 as my first bike, a 2005 model. Is very rapido when needed, but was a little cramped (6ft 2...).

My mate has a CBR600F that was just as quick, but considerably more comfortable over distance.

"I have a Honda NC750x and its probably the best all round bike I've ever owned in 17 years of riding in all weathers. For shorts commutes its great, excellent storage, cheap insurance, great fuel economy. I've owned much bigger more powerful bikes but this bike is great and I love it."

Honda NC750X is a great shout for a general commuter bike especially as you can store the helmet in the tank. If you can't afford new go for the earlier 700.

Bandit 600. And ride like everyone else on the road is trying to kill you, then you'll pretty much be ok

» Add a new message to this topic