FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Vinyl

Vinyl

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

We are both big vinyl collectors, it's a huge passion for us, it's like CDs never existed,is there anybody else on here that buys or collects and what Is your favourite piece?

Ours is "the division bell" by pink Floyd on blue marbled vinyl, it's a beautiful thing.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I love my vinyl.. I have been djing for to long and have boxes full..don't think I could part with them

"I love my vinyl.. I have been djing for to long and have boxes full..don't think I could part with them "

Never part you'll regret it, I nearly had to sell my smiths collection,sold one of my kids instead

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Although I do like vinyl and love the warmth of an all analogue sound system, I personally avoid vinyl.... for its own protection. It seems that I only have to look at a record and it develops scratches.

Cal

Great idea.... Bye bye baby and hello bay city rollers .

Although they were a bit before my time lol.

Ps love kids really !

By *rank EinsteinMan  over a year ago

Burton upon stather

"Although I do like vinyl and love the warmth of an all analogue sound system, I personally avoid vinyl.... for its own protection. It seems that I only have to look at a record and it develops scratches.

Cal"

Which brings me to my question, how do you clean/repair a vinyl? My brother damaged a couple of mine.

Also favourite owned is either Metallicas black album or the animals house of the rising sun b side don't let me be misunderstood/I'm crying

Want list the smiths - how soon is now, moody blues nights in white satin and pearl jam - ten

I still have all my vinyl. Some great Marillion picture discs.

I do miss buying a proper Lp.

Gate fold sleeve and fantastic art work.

I have a few thousand cds and love them too , but you cant beat the warm quality of an LP

I dont really like downloads as i feel they are to was to get and I like to actually have something to hold and keep

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman  over a year ago

West Midlands

Loving my vinyl

Especially my police 6 picture discs on 7"

I have everything The Smiths have done on vinyl. Also quite a few original Two Tone label records. I have a couple of Lambrettas 7" with the man wearing a parka instead of the dancing two tone man.

My oldest bit of vinyl is some Buddy Holly 7".

"I have everything The Smiths have done on vinyl. Also quite a few original Two Tone label records. I have a couple of Lambrettas 7" with the man wearing a parka instead of the dancing two tone man.

My oldest bit of vinyl is some Buddy Holly 7". "

The smiths are my favourite band ( thing ) got all every original release and a whole load of live bootlegs,sounds like bragging but I don't care,when it comes to the smiths I could brag all day long.

By *bsinthe_boyMan  over a year ago

Luton

Apart from a brief flirtation with CDs from 1989-1991 I have always preferred vinyl.

I can't really say I have a favourite but anyone who enjoys progressive rock and imaginitive rock music such as Queen, REM, Radiohead or Fleetwood Mac will be in heaven in my house.

I amassed most of my collection years ago and have never paid more than £20 for a record. However I am reaching the point where I might have to inform the insurance company about a few!

Cleaning and care...first of all I ensure that I replace my stylus before it gets very worn. I do check the tracking weight on my turntable to be sure that it's not damaging my LPs. I actually clean with a regular anti static cloth but there are products such as "spin clean" which use cleaning liquids and some even vacuum your records clean.

A record in good condition shouldn't "snap, crackle and pop".

"I have everything The Smiths have done on vinyl. Also quite a few original Two Tone label records. I have a couple of Lambrettas 7" with the man wearing a parka instead of the dancing two tone man.

The smiths are my favourite band ( thing ) got all every original release and a whole load of live bootlegs,sounds like bragging but I don't care,when it comes to the smiths I could brag all day long."

My brother and myself are somewhat smiths nerds and we have passed this obsession on to my daughter. We have quite a collection on Smiths tat between us. My favourite thing though is my ticket stub from their last ever concert.

Another vinyl lover here, and I still buy a couple or more a month.

I also buy CD's but much prefer vinyl.

I have never owned a single as my record deck (Linn Sondek LP12) will only play 33 1/3.

A couple of people mentioned cleaning. IMO the only way to clean vinyl is with a proper wet and vacuum dry cleaning machine. The problem with cloths and so on is that any grit/dust/grease and so on just ends up in the groove, the surface may look clean but the stylus goes in the groove.

I also clean the stylus every few plays with "green paper" and also jewellers putty.

Not sure about favourites, they change daily but probably my all time favourite artist is Paul Simon.

Still have vinyl but now put onto computer as lossless FLAC files, sounds good to me and save damaging my extensive collection/

My favourite record is probably Patrice Rushen - Forget me nots. Which is on a 45. So good

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

I have a lot of vinyl. I don't know if I can choose a favourite one. I have a few 7 inch singles that mean a lot to me because they are of friends' bands. And a mint condition version of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On that my mum is jealous of (she has an amazing Trojan and Motown collection of her own so that one makes me feel smug). I have a 78 of the South Pacific soundtrack that reminds me of summer holidays with my granny. And lots of Indie and rock ones too. Each piece of vinyl tells a personal story and that's why I love them. That and the smell.

By *ipswingCouple  over a year ago

portrush

big vinyl fan .... the beatles in mono ....ahhh the way it should be ....

love all that old stuff ...when i as young ...

I love my vinyl and my most treasured pieces are all my original demos and first pressings of my Northern Soul 45s.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Have got quite a few, and some 78's

Mark has all his old vinyl records and try's to buy vinyl if he can when purchasing new Albums

'Classic rock' vinyl is very collectable and increasing in value. Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, AC/DC etc specially in Europe will pay good prices.

"I love my vinyl and my most treasured pieces are all my original demos and first pressings of my Northern Soul 45s. "

"Another vinyl lover here, and I still buy a couple or more a month.

I also buy CD's but much prefer vinyl.

I have never owned a single as my record deck (Linn Sondek LP12) will only play 33 1/3.

A couple of people mentioned cleaning. IMO the only way to clean vinyl is with a proper wet and vacuum dry cleaning machine. The problem with cloths and so on is that any grit/dust/grease and so on just ends up in the groove, the surface may look clean but the stylus goes in the groove.

I also clean the stylus every few plays with "green paper" and also jewellers putty.

Not sure about favourites, they change daily but probably my all time favourite artist is Paul Simon."

I don't buy CDs anymore and it's been nearly two years since I last played one.

The smiths are my favourite band ( thing ) got all every original release and a whole load of live bootlegs,sounds like bragging but I don't care,when it comes to the smiths I could brag all day long.

My brother and myself are somewhat smiths nerds and we have passed this obsession on to my daughter. We have quite a collection on Smiths tat between us. My favourite thing though is my ticket stub from their last ever concert. "

You're daughter will do just fine in life

Rainbow " Rising,", actually have have 2 vinlys of it, just in case

"Rainbow " Rising,", actually have have 2 vinlys of it, just in case "

We have a few duplicates but you can never have too many.

By *bsinthe_boyMan  over a year ago

Luton

I have three copies of Dark Side Of The Moon.

One resides at home, one at my parents' house and one at work where I keep a turntable in my office

"Rainbow " Rising,", actually have have 2 vinlys of it, just in case

We have a few duplicates but you can never have too many."

By *ath_Neil_bifunCouple  over a year ago

near cardiff

"We are both big vinyl collectors, it's a huge passion for us, it's like CDs never existed,is there anybody else on here that buys or collects and what Is your favourite piece?

Ours is "the division bell" by pink Floyd on blue marbled vinyl, it's a beautiful thing."

I love my vinyl..i paid £125 for the banned US version of appetite for destruction by guns n rose ten years ago!still has the original price in dollars on it..i also have live like a suicide..only 10,000 copies originally pressed.they are my pride,and joy

Just picked up 54-46 was my number on The Pyramid label by Toots and the Maytals....

A happy addition to my Ska vinyl box

I have been asked by a friend to sell 2 boxes of records as he doesn't have time to do it as he works away but I'm not sure where to even try, he has given me the whole list and prices of the records which he has searched on the net and some are worth 100 quid but where can I sell them ?

the normal auction sites or have a look in the back of the music magazines there are normally collectors looking for records in there but remember a dealer wont pay the list price for them.

Hope this helps

By *ayandpCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth

Got loads of vinyl in the loft all the early queen singles ,Smith's albums one came with a shoplifter carrier bag

Love vinyl mining in second hand shops and my hobby is becoming an obsession! An FB told me once that the vibrations from playing vinyl add to the whole experience. I've got some awesome 80s stuff and quality Motown.

By *osieWoman  over a year ago

Wembley

"We are both big vinyl collectors, it's a huge passion for us, it's like CDs never existed,is there anybody else on here that buys or collects and what Is your favourite piece?

Ours is "the division bell" by pink Floyd on blue marbled vinyl, it's a beautiful thing."

They do; look under TV/TS

» Add a new message to this topic