FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > car insurance query

car insurance query

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi a friend of mine came out from work to find her car damaged. She informed her insurance company as she thought it was another car.

It turned out to be a bin blown by the wind. She infomed the business owners who compensated her.

As it's time to renewal she is showing she.made a claim and.loses. her no claims bonus.

my question is just by informing the company and not actually making a claim counts? I believe something is wrong any advice? ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

A bit confusing. Making a claim is not the same as reporting a no claim incident.

If she made a claim and was paid by her insurance company, then she would expect to lose some or all of her no claims bonus.

If she merely reports it as a no fault (on her part) incident then it should not affect her no claims.

I'm not sure what happens if she made a claim and then retracted it before a decision was made by her insurers.

It will depend on exactly what she said to her insurers and what she subsequently did or did not say to her insurers after she was compensated directly without going through insurers on either side.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Somebody crashed into me on the motorway in 2013.

As it went through the insurance it goes down as a non fault claim so no change to my no claims or premium.

With the bin hitting the car nobody is at fault and if the company paid up i can't see the problem

Ring the insurers and see what's happening is my bet

If it was a notification, it wasn't a claim. Did she have to pay her excess? If not, no claim was made

Thanks. She didn't make a claim and receive no compensation from insurance. Just was following the rules of her policy and informing them of an incident. Just been reading it's quite common occurrence for . companies to list these as a claim . Another scam by the people we pay to protect us

"If it was a notification, it wasn't a claim. Did she have to pay her excess? If not, no claim was made"

you're right! ! Brilliant she didn't pay an excess.

"If it was a notification, it wasn't a claim. Did she have to pay her excess? If not, no claim was made

you're right! ! Brilliant she didn't pay an excess. "

Glad I could help

By *at69driveMan  over a year ago

Hertford

"Hi a friend of mine came out from work to find her car damaged. She informed her insurance company as she thought it was another car.

It turned out to be a bin blown by the wind. She infomed the business owners who compensated her.

As it's time to renewal she is showing she.made a claim and.loses. her no claims bonus.

my question is just by informing the company and not actually making a claim counts? I believe something is wrong any advice? ?"

. I think that the insurance company just need to update their records to indicate that a no fault claim was made which was subsequently settled privately . In certain cases a no fault claim will affect your premium. You can usually avoid any premium increase in this case by shopping around. No fault claims may indicate that you are more likely to be driving in higher risk areas where accidents are likely to happen.. In addition statistics indicate that a driver who has made one claiim is more likely to make another in future .

"Glad I could help "

But does reporting an incident affect your premium?

Its a system error on behalf of the insurer. Its also possible that its sitting as an open claim at their end. A phone call should rectify the situation easily enough

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

In that case she should dispute it with her insurers, always best to try and resolve it amicably, but at the end of the day she has recourse to the ombudsman service and protection under the law (though it would cost to pursue it privately). Hopefully, she can demonstrate to them that their records are in error.

As you say, insurers probably routinely upgrading a notification to a claim, withholding the no claims discount, and hoping a certain percentage won't bother contesting it.

After resolving it, I'd change insurers immediately, letting them know why.

By *illyrocCouple  over a year ago

north west

This is a common problem even if you report damage to a car and not claim they up your renewal price as they say your more a risk on claims, big rip off

By *gNeMan  over a year ago

Harrogate

Lesson - don't tell anyone anything unless you have to.

"Hi a friend of mine came out from work to find her car damaged. She informed her insurance company as she thought it was another car.

my question is just by informing the company and not actually making a claim counts? I believe something is wrong any advice? ?"

Had thus on our home insurance. She needs to ask them to close down the claim as if is still open, even though there was no payout, they may well count it.

"Glad I could help

But does reporting an incident affect your premium? "

Yes it defenetly does!

I work in the motor trade and I know for a fact the second you phone them and tell them your car has been damaged of any kind it will be logged and this will affect your policy price the next year.

I would always recommend setting small dents/ damage out side of insurance

By *lshere77Man  over a year ago

Wigan

Quentin Wilson once said in a car insurance advert that the cheapest way of avoiding high insurance costs and the stress surrounding lengthy insurance claims is to just drive round un-insured.......simples

:-

I hate dealing with insurance companies. They are all licenced bandits. I have spent many an hour arguing my case, over the years. They move the goal posts to suit themselves. How can your friend lose her no claims, when no claim has been made ?

Guys, theres no mystery about this. The claim just needs to be closed off in their systems, thats all...theres no scam, no conspiracy, no big bad insurance companies out to get you ok.

"Thanks. She didn't make a claim and receive no compensation from insurance. Just was following the rules of her policy and informing them of an incident. Just been reading it's quite common occurrence for . companies to list these as a claim . Another scam by the people we pay to protect us"

As I have already said, licenced bandits.

Hertford

"Quentin Wilson once said in a car insurance advert that the cheapest way of avoiding high insurance costs and the stress surrounding lengthy insurance claims is to just drive round un-insured.......simples "
. I would much prefer to have a valid policy in place and to have disclosed all material facts in case of a subsequent claim . Having insurance is a lot cheaper than paying a fine , losing your licence , and having your car confiscated .

"Quentin Wilson once said in a car insurance advert that the cheapest way of avoiding high insurance costs and the stress surrounding lengthy insurance claims is to just drive round un-insured.......simples . I would much prefer to have a valid policy in place and to have disclosed all material facts in case of a subsequent claim . Having insurance is a lot cheaper than paying a fine , losing your licence , and having your car confiscated . "

Exactly I have mine covered under modified insurance, even get money towards replacing the mods in the event or w crash and they are damaged. Most just cover them back to standard

Unfortunately Insurance companies behave, at least in my opinion, in a borderline fraudulent manner.

Any excuse to refuse to pay out a claim and any excuse to raise premiums.

No wonder the industry has been under scrutiny of late.

By *errygTV/TS  over a year ago

denton

insurance companies will have loads of grey areas, if say you had any criminal conviction and didnt tell the motor insurer you policy is invalid even thou it has nowt to do with your driving ability, to me this is a get out clause if you have a big claim, how many do read the policy

"insurance companies will have loads of grey areas, if say you had any criminal conviction and didnt tell the motor insurer you policy is invalid even thou it has nowt to do with your driving ability, to me this is a get out clause if you have a big claim, how many do read the policy"

How is that the insurers fault? Just read the statement of fact/proposal form before you sign it. Its all in plain english...whats the problem???

Hertford

"insurance companies will have loads of grey areas, if say you had any criminal conviction and didnt tell the motor insurer you policy is invalid even thou it has nowt to do with your driving ability, to me this is a get out clause if you have a big claim, how many do read the policy"
. These issues are quite clear on the proposal form..Having a criminal conviction may be a reflection on your attitude to life in general and indicate that you have a scant regard for the law . Insurers are quite right to void your policy if you fail to disclose all material facts .

"Unfortunately Insurance companies behave, at least in my opinion, in a borderline fraudulent manner.

Any excuse to refuse to pay out a claim and any excuse to raise premiums.

No wonder the industry has been under scrutiny of late."

And so it should be.

By *allipygousMan  over a year ago

Leicester

"Thanks. She didn't make a claim and receive no compensation from insurance. Just was following the rules of her policy and informing them of an incident. Just been reading it's quite common occurrence for . companies to list these as a claim . Another scam by the people we pay to protect us"

You're not paying them to protect you, you're paying them to compensate you, should the need arise.

I suspect this was logged as a non fault claim in error (as opposed to an incident). Often a claim number is required by someone, in this case the company whose bin it was, to proceed.

It's quickly solved with a call.

"I suspect this was logged as a non fault claim in error (as opposed to an incident). Often a claim number is required by someone, in this case the company whose bin it was, to proceed.

It's quickly solved with a call."

Sure its easier just to moan about how theyre all crooks out to get you...

"I suspect this was logged as a non fault claim in error (as opposed to an incident). Often a claim number is required by someone, in this case the company whose bin it was, to proceed.

Sure its easier just to moan about how theyre all crooks out to get you..."

You're not an insurance agent by any chance, were you ?

Sure its easier just to moan about how theyre all crooks out to get you...

You're not an insurance agent by any chance, were you ? "

Haha rumbled

Obviously i understand the industry as well, but its not complicated, especially car insurance!

By *xdirtyboyxxMan  over a year ago

chorley

The answer is yes it does affect it

By even ringing them ,She is now classed as a risk

Happened to me

By *errygTV/TS  over a year ago

denton

i did my insurance over the phone, i did say it is on the policy document, people dont read all the paper work everytime, and theres not many who have not broke the law in their lifetime, a insurance agent told me over half of the clients have 3 points or more,

An enquiry counts as a claim don't tell them unless you plan on claiming it's a swindle

"An enquiry counts as a claim don't tell them unless you plan on claiming it's a swindle "

What kind of enquiry do you mean?? If you mean reporting an incident, it doesnt...it just means theyve opened an active claim file. If you close off the claim file with no payments made by them, its back to the way it was beforehand

I had a collision with a motorbike not so long ago and the biker had no plates on the bike (not sure if he had a licence) he went to overtake on the right as I was turning right. Police were involved but the biker had long gone leaving the bike. To cut a long story short the police told me to report the incident to the insurance but I did not because even though it was not my fault and I paid for the repair on my car. It would have been classed as though I'd been involved in a motor accident bumping up my insurance. People who break the law seem to get top priority

"I had a collision with a motorbike not so long ago and the biker had no plates on the bike (not sure if he had a licence) he went to overtake on the right as I was turning right. Police were involved but the biker had long gone leaving the bike. To cut a long story short the police told me to report the incident to the insurance but I did not because even though it was not my fault and I paid for the repair on my car. It would have been classed as though I'd been involved in a motor accident bumping up my insurance. People who break the law seem to get top priority "

Who told you it would have bumped up your premium?? Are people just operating on heresay here or what?

"I had a collision with a motorbike not so long ago and the biker had no plates on the bike (not sure if he had a licence) he went to overtake on the right as I was turning right. Police were involved but the biker had long gone leaving the bike. To cut a long story short the police told me to report the incident to the insurance but I did not because even though it was not my fault and I paid for the repair on my car. It would have been classed as though I'd been involved in a motor accident bumping up my insurance. People who break the law seem to get top priority

Who told you it would have bumped up your premium?? Are people just operating on heresay here or what?"

Had i informed my insurance company, on my next renewal they would ask the question have I ever been involved in a RTA? Common sense. Insurance companies are out to make money, do you honestly believe they care who's fault it is?

Hertford

"I had a collision with a motorbike not so long ago and the biker had no plates on the bike (not sure if he had a licence) he went to overtake on the right as I was turning right. Police were involved but the biker had long gone leaving the bike. To cut a long story short the police told me to report the incident to the insurance but I did not because even though it was not my fault and I paid for the repair on my car. It would have been classed as though I'd been involved in a motor accident bumping up my insurance. People who break the law seem to get top priority "
I would prefer to report any instance such as this to my insurer in order to avoid the policy being voided . What would have happened if the motor cyclist had subsequently decided to make a claim? Not all insurers increase your premium for a no fault accident and even if they did you can always shop around for those that do not penalise a no fault accident .

"I had a collision with a motorbike not so long ago and the biker had no plates on the bike (not sure if he had a licence) he went to overtake on the right as I was turning right. Police were involved but the biker had long gone leaving the bike. To cut a long story short the police told me to report the incident to the insurance but I did not because even though it was not my fault and I paid for the repair on my car. It would have been classed as though I'd been involved in a motor accident bumping up my insurance. People who break the law seem to get top priority

Who told you it would have bumped up your premium?? Are people just operating on heresay here or what?"

Surely in this case the premium would be effected, as their would be no third party's insurance to claim from, seeing that the biker did a bunk. In this case the pay out would have to come from ones own insurance, therefore its a claim and as such must effect the premium ?

By *ary baileyCouple  over a year ago

basildon

I ended up unable to insure my car after 2 non fault accidents both off which I was paid out. to be able to drive it I had to change log book keeper to my partner name so I could insure it in her name. Then drive it under my daily car policy. Like how is that fare. One I was driving round a roundabout and old lady drove straight into my rear quarter. Then the second my replacement was parked and hit. I wasn't even in the car my premium went from £125 to £800 another time I sold a car 2 months into policy. Bought another the same make model but they wouldn't insure it and cancelled my policy. Then demanded £7 as there wasn't enough money to cover cancellation fees. £127 for 2 months insurance. Discusting. Another I was made redundant so I informed indurable company. They then informed me they could no longer cover car and policy would have to be cancelled. I did challange this and ask for there reference no for insurance ongrismon and won. Retaining my policy. I was involved in a hit and run last year where a vehicle hit me and drove off. Did I inform insurance. Fook no. And why is 3rd party so bloody expensive. That's all I want. Never ever claimed on my insurance. I damage it. I pay for it. It gets damaged you claim off 3Rd party insurers yourself. i used to drive expensive performance cars 3rd party under my daily car policy. Now I still do but they have to have there own insurance. I'm gonna be more careful in a 10k car 3rd party cover, than I am in my daily 1k car.

» Add a new message to this topic