FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > National Anthems

National Anthems

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I love the singing of the national anthems before international sport. Adds real theatre to the events. Think God Save the Queen is one of the worst, but love the Welsh and French Anthems, and Irelands Call is also great. So should players always sing? And should Eoin Morgans refusal to sing the national anthem render him inappropriate to captain the England cricket team?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Yes

By *ere-for-my-convenienceWoman  over a year ago

West Midlands

Gwlad Gwlad plidiol oif Im Gwlad

I love All of them to be fair

But they Maori

Kamate Kamate koor best

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No. Our national anthem is shite. If you are a republican, why should you sing about the Queen?

I wish we had Land of hope and glory... far more rousing!

"Gwlad Gwlad plidiol oif Im Gwlad

But they Maori

Kamate Kamate koor best "

The Haka is brilliant. Can't think what the New Zealand anthem sounds like, but it doesn't matter when you have the Haka!

West Midlands

"No. Our national anthem is shite. If you are a republican, why should you sing about the Queen?

"

I agree

They commonwealth national anthem is ours also

"No. Our national anthem is shite. If you are a republican, why should you sing about the Queen?

"

Its ironic that our National Anthem is about an individual, not the nation!

It is indeed often rousing , but i find it a little strange these days.

Only the other day, in the early overs of the Ireland v U.A.E. World Cup cricket game, there was an Irishman, an Australian and a South African bowling to a Pakistani, an Indian and a Sri Lankan batsman.

Is that in itself a joke, ICC?

So, why haven't the organisers played at least six natonal anthems at the start of that game?

"

Good point about not singing for the Queen if you are a republican. And Land of Hope and Glory would be good for England (rather than Great Britain). Jerusalem is a great hymn but not rousing enough for me.

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

"

Nothing against the monarchy but rather have an anthem for the people instead of just them.

"

Why should Morgan sing about the queen.

By *ymph and ManicCouple  over a year ago

North East

New Zealand anthem is not the haka ... ... ... .. tho agree .. god save our queen atrocious ...

By *illbillMan  over a year ago

dublin

"I love the singing of the national anthems before international sport. Adds real theatre to the events. Think God Save the Queen is one of the worst, but love the Welsh and French Anthems, and Irelands Call is also great. So should players always sing? And should Eoin Morgans refusal to sing the national anthem render him inappropriate to captain the England cricket team?"
don't think so just cause he doesn't rate the notion of a queen doesn't make him less of a English man....and Irelands call isn't Ireland's national anthem...that sickly drival is only used in rugby...amhran na bhfiann is national anthem

Good point about not singing for the Queen if you are a republican. And Land of Hope and Glory would be good for England (rather than Great Britain). Jerusalem is a great hymn but not rousing enough for me."

What about Agadoo? Everyone could join in with that!

I prefer Amhrán na bhFiann to Ireland's call but can understand why they use the latter.

"I love the singing of the national anthems before international sport. Adds real theatre to the events. Think God Save the Queen is one of the worst, but love the Welsh and French Anthems, and Irelands Call is also great. So should players always sing? And should Eoin Morgans refusal to sing the national anthem render him inappropriate to captain the England cricket team? don't think so just cause he doesn't rate the notion of a queen doesn't make him less of a English man....and Irelands call isn't Ireland's national anthem...that sickly drival is only used in rugby...amhran na bhfiann is national anthem"

I know, and I love amhran na bhifiann as well. I know Irelands call divides opinion with some in Ireland hating it, but given Irish rugby is an all Island Ireland, I think it does a good job, has some great words and a cracking tune. Certainly makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

The Walsh national anthem always brings tears to my eyes . We sing it with passion and heart

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

The Walsh national anthem always brings tears to my eyes . We sing it with passion and heart "

Ydyn ne yn

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

The Walsh national anthem always brings tears to my eyes . We sing it with passion and heart "

I think it is my favourite, maybe because the Welsh can actually sing! The noise when it is belted out at the Millenium Stadium is awesome, and the passion simply wonderful. Love it.

To be part of the choir of tens of thousands of the millennium stadium is amazing .

It would help if England actually had a national anthem.

I think the Italian one is great, lovely piece of opera. I think ours is a bit of a nursery rhyme, would far rather have Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem. I believe ours is the only country that sings about/to a person, the Queen, rather than a country? Is that true?

By *lirtyjjWoman  over a year ago

Meath

"I love the singing of the national anthems before international sport. Adds real theatre to the events. Think God Save the Queen is one of the worst, but love the Welsh and French Anthems, and Irelands Call is also great. So should players always sing? And should Eoin Morgans refusal to sing the national anthem render him inappropriate to captain the England cricket team? don't think so just cause he doesn't rate the notion of a queen doesn't make him less of a English man....and Irelands call isn't Ireland's national anthem...that sickly drival is only used in rugby...amhran na bhfiann is national anthem"

We have a national anthem and a national rugby anthem. Coz we're awesome!!!

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

The Fench Anthem is fantastic, as is the Italian - both full of vin and vigour.

The Welsh is rousing and passionate, the Scottish is a crap 70's dirge of a failed pop song written by embittered nationalists who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket - its awful.

BUT, as an English person GSTQ isn't representative of the people , its an awful dirge so lets sing Land of Hope and Glory. Not that the footballers could remember the words!

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

The Walsh national anthem always brings tears to my eyes . We sing it with passion and heart Ydyn ne yn"

Have always struggled to sing it all at internationals since I was a child without being overcome with emotion

West Midlands

"The Fench Anthem is fantastic, as is the Italian - both full of vin and vigour.

The Welsh is rousing and passionate, the Scottish is a crap 70's dirge of a failed pop song written by embittered nationalists who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket - its awful.

BUT, as an English person GSTQ isn't representative of the people , its an awful dirge so lets sing Land of Hope and Glory. Not that the footballers could remember the words!"

What you said

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

The Walsh national anthem always brings tears to my eyes . We sing it with passion and heart Ydyn ne yn

Have always struggled to sing it all at internationals since I was a child without being overcome with emotion "

rochdale

Anyway, GSTQ is the UK anthem, England needs its own song - the other component Nations have theirs.

By *ibbyhunterCouple  over a year ago

keighley

god save the queen is the national anthem of the united kingdom and northern ireland, so whatever the welsh and scots sing before a rugby match is not the national anthem of that country,

"I think the Italian one is great, lovely piece of opera. I think ours is a bit of a nursery rhyme, would far rather have Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem. I believe ours is the only country that sings about/to a person, the Queen, rather than a country? Is that true?

I think it could be, a bit bizarre when you think of it. Did you know that the tune to the Star Spangled Banner was originally an English drinking song! And I agree with the Italian anthem, brilliant piece of music.

"

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

The Walsh national anthem always brings tears to my eyes . We sing it with passion and heart Ydyn ne yn

Have always struggled to sing it all at internationals since I was a child without being overcome with emotion "

Unlike that Conservative MP made Welsh Minister who merely struggled to sing it full stop!

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

Have always struggled to sing it all at internationals since I was a child without being overcome with emotion

Unlike that Conservative MP made Welsh Minister who merely struggled to sing it full stop! "

John Redwood, what a monumental bell end!

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

Unlike that Conservative MP made Welsh Minister who merely struggled to sing it full stop!

John Redwood, what a monumental bell end!"

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

John Redwood, what a monumental bell end!"

At least his successor make a much better job of it, ablely assisted by his then Welsh girlfriend! I assume they eventually married?

Sri Lankan anthem is pretty shite, even worse than GSTQ.

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

At least his successor make a much better job of it, ablely assisted by his then Welsh girlfriend! I assume they eventually married?"

William Hague! Wasn`t his partner Ffiyon(sp?)?

By *tsallaroundMan  over a year ago

merthyr

Wales of course

South Africa

Nz

Italy

All good rousing tones

"Wales of course

South Africa

Nz

Italy

All good rousing tones"

I quite like the German and Russin anthems as weLl, powerful is how I'd describe them.

Even though I am British I have not sung God save the queen since I was about 11 years old. I just never really liked the verse about crushing rebellious Scots !!!!

By *horltzMan  over a year ago

heysham

"

Fair comment , I agree

rochdale

"Even though I am British I have not sung God save the queen since I was about 11 years old. I just never really liked the verse about crushing rebellious Scots !!!!

"

I may be wrong, but I understood that the Scots and Hanoverian (UK) Anthems are the only ones in the world to mention a specific enemy.

By *horltzMan  over a year ago

heysham

"Even though I am British I have not sung God save the queen since I was about 11 years old. I just never really liked the verse about crushing rebellious Scots !!!!

"

That's the best bit !

I LOVE my national anthem, even though we only ever sing half of it before a game!

To the non welsh speakers amongst us look at these for lyrics...

The land of my fathers, the land of my choice, the land in which poets and minstrels rejoice, the land whose stern warriors were true to the core, while bleeding for freedom of yore....

(All together now everyone knows this bit at least!)

WALES! WALES! Fav'rite land of Wales!

By *illbillMan  over a year ago

dublin

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

"

pity Wales isnt a nation. Pity the reality is its just a provience ....plaid cymyru abú

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

pity Wales isnt a nation. Pity the reality is its just a provience ....plaid cymyru abú"

It's a country, Ireland is a province. It used to be england, Scotland the countries, Ireland a province and Wales a principality but Wales is also a country.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

pity Wales isnt a nation. Pity the reality is its just a provience ....plaid cymyru abú"

So when Wales play in, say, a 6 Nations match, that's not an International game?

Besides, since when did having a National anthem become the deciding factor on what counts as a nation? England doesn't have one. Does that mean England isn't a country?

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"Anyway, GSTQ is the UK anthem, England needs its own song - the other component Nations have theirs."

Agreed

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

pity Wales isnt a nation. Pity the reality is its just a provience ....plaid cymyru abú

So when Wales play in, say, a 6 Nations match, that's not an International game?

Besides, since when did having a National anthem become the deciding factor on what counts as a nation? England doesn't have one. Does that mean England isn't a country?"

We don't always see eye-to-eye, but the woman has a point.

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

as it happens Wales country status was finally recognised by the international community in 2011.

and to yer mon from dublin .... give up trying to write welsh butty ... what you've tried to write is as bad as john redwood singing the anthem .... tidy

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Anyway, GSTQ is the UK anthem, England needs its own song - the other component Nations have theirs."

I vote Fat Les - Vindaloo

I've learnt a brand new thing today;

Apparently, Ireland is now a province!!

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

The Republic of Ireland just hasn't got the same ring to it obviously

"The Republic of Ireland just hasn't got the same ring to it obviously "

Meath

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

It's a country, Ireland is a province. It used to be england, Scotland the countries, Ireland a province and Wales a principality but Wales is also a country. "

wdf??? Ireland is its own country ffs!!!

By *ibbyhunterCouple  over a year ago

keighley

am i right in saying there are no words in the spanish national anthem?

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

Its ironic that our National Anthem is about an individual, not the nation!"

And God has to save that particular individual, no wonder there is invariably a certain amount of reluctance when English teams have to sing the anthem. You tend to get three or four players feel they must make an effort whilst the rest mumble or don't bother. Compare that with say the French or Welsh passion who seem to reflect the emotions and feelings of their supporters.

You don't have to be a republican to recognise how archaic it seems, and irrelevant it is to most people's feelings and pride in their country.

By *aneandpaulCouple  over a year ago

cleveleys

Our national Anthem should be Land of Hope and Glory

"

I have a fair idea that land of hope and glory was used a while back for the commonwealth games and home internationals for England , I think it was at a time considered England's Nationsl Anthem and still should be !

That's the best bit !"

yet it's fine for the Scots to sing we sent Edwards Army Home Gain ! I remember Princess Anne singing that and bursting into a grin on TV once .

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Its ironic that our National Anthem is about an individual, not the nation!"

That would depend on your knowledge of the politics of the nation and the lyric and sentiment of the anthem.

I hate it but it is about saving the nation from foes - of which she is supposed to be the embodiment - and having a world family

That would depend on your knowledge of the politics of the nation and the lyric and sentiment of the anthem.

I hate it but it is about saving the nation from foes - of which she is supposed to be the embodiment - and having a world family"

But the point is GSTQ I'd the UK Anthem , we need an English one !

He is happy to play for the team, but not the customs.....

King's Crustacean

I hate it but it is about saving the nation from foes - of which she is supposed to be the embodiment - and having a world family But the point is GSTQ I'd the UK Anthem , we need an English one !"

ooooooooooo you are right.

King's Crustacean

I hate it but it is about saving the nation from foes - of which she is supposed to be the embodiment - and having a world family But the point is GSTQ I'd the UK Anthem , we need an English one !

ooooooooooo you are right."

ish

King's Crustacean

Apparently Jerusalem was voted the most favoured anthem for England

Problem for me is it's allegiance to God.

By *un_JuiceCouple  over a year ago

Nr Chester

One world. One love. Sod all this region and tribalism. My flags better than your flag.

I love sport and competition but there's too many tin pot 2 week patriots when a tournament is on

"Apparently Jerusalem was voted the most favoured anthem for England

Problem for me is it's allegiance to God. "

I'd have the same problem ! Got to be Land of Hope And Glory !

"One world. One love. Sod all this region and tribalism. My flags better than your flag.

I love sport and competition but there's too many tin pot 2 week patriots when a tournament is on "

. Go tell that to the Scots !

By *LFB.Woman  over a year ago

Farnborough.

I hate GSTQ and i hate it even more at the start f an England rugby match when sung by an operatic warbler who is ahead of the people singing it

"

But the Scottish anthem is all about how much they hate the English and kicked our asses in a battle

"I hate GSTQ and i hate it even more at the start f an England rugby match when sung by an operatic warbler who is ahead of the people singing it "

Fantastic anthems at Lansdowne Road this afternoon. Even GSTQ sounded good. So much better as you say without an operatic warbler. Leave it to the players and fans.

"I've learnt a brand new thing today;

Apparently, Ireland is now a province!! "

I think it`s just NORTHERN Ireland that`s a province!

"am i right in saying there are no words in the spanish national anthem?"

I think you`re right! Something to do with the words being from the old Spanish dictatorship?

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"am i right in saying there are no words in the spanish national anthem?

I think you`re right! Something to do with the words being from the old Spanish dictatorship?"

What a great idea!

I've always considered the La Marseillaise the greatest national anthem I've ever heard... It's not only rousing but the words are phenomenal.

Let's go children of the fatherland,

The day of glory has arrived!

Against us tyranny's

Bloody flag is raised! (repeat)

In the countryside, do you hear

The roaring of these fierce soldiers?

They come right to our arms

To slit the throats of our sons, our friends!

Refrain

Grab your weapons, citizens!

Form your batallions!

Let us march! Let us march!

May impure blood

Water our fields!

By *ackandkateCouple  over a year ago

Truro

"I love the singing of the national anthems before international sport. Adds real theatre to the events. Think God Save the Queen is one of the worst, but love the Welsh and French Anthems, and Irelands Call is also great. So should players always sing? And should Eoin Morgans refusal to sing the national anthem render him inappropriate to captain the England cricket team?"

If it was a singing competition then yes, the players should sing, but you don't get points for being the best singers.

As far as anthems go, I think the Welsh national anthem is by far the best I've ever heard

Meath

"I've learnt a brand new thing today;

Apparently, Ireland is now a province!!

I think it`s just NORTHERN Ireland that`s a province!"

Actually the island of Ireland is made up of 4 provences: Ulster, Munster, Connacht and Leinster. 6 of the Ulster counties make up Northern Ireland.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"

Our national anthem has the same tune as that of Liechtenstein.

"Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

It's a country, Ireland is a province. It used to be england, Scotland the countries, Ireland a province and Wales a principality but Wales is also a country. "

And ireland long a province be a nation once again.

"I love the singing of the national anthems before international sport. Adds real theatre to the events. Think God Save the Queen is one of the worst, but love the Welsh and French Anthems, and Irelands Call is also great. So should players always sing? And should Eoin Morgans refusal to sing the national anthem render him inappropriate to captain the England cricket team?

If it was a singing competition then yes, the players should sing, but you don't get points for being the best singers.

As far as anthems go, I think the Welsh national anthem is by far the best I've ever heard "

Always sung with passion and pride in this house.

And the odd tear or two. X

That's the best bit ! yet it's fine for the Scots to sing we sent Edwards Army Home Gain ! I remember Princess Anne singing that and bursting into a grin on TV once ."

I am not a fan of that pish either !!!!

It is only a folk song that was adopted by footie and rugger buggers so it is not an official anthem !!!!

I do understand you point though !!!!

Aren't the anthems when you nip for a slash cause there's no long queue in the bogs?

Beethoven said, the British do not know how lucky they are to have a good national anthem. He actually composed some variations....

"I love the singing of the national anthems before international sport. Adds real theatre to the events. Think God Save the Queen is one of the worst, but love the Welsh and French Anthems, and Irelands Call is also great. So should players always sing? And should Eoin Morgans refusal to sing the national anthem render him inappropriate to captain the England cricket team?

Beethoven said, the British do not know how lucky they are to have a good national anthem. He actually composed some variations...."

Was that after he went deaf?

Beethoven said, the British do not know how lucky they are to have a good national anthem. He actually composed some variations....

Was that after he went deaf? "

Tried to find that out. Not sure really.does'nt give a date on ialso or anywhere I have been. Be sure he wrote the9th symphony, the last piano sonatas, the last string quartets etc. given how many ppl give up in this modern world for less, it is a privilege to have known about this guy. He contributed when he could easily have said no and his final days were in pain with surgical holes in his abdomen area. Beethoven is my fav composer. I am a musician myself. Look me up in YT. I have a profile under Graham jeacocke

Never sung the national anthem, an I never will. I am British by accident of birth, not particularly proud of the country, and I don't attend sporting events. I go along with billy Connelly's observation that the best anthems come from the tiny little nations that hardly anyone recognises. They are a lot more up tempo and sound like " we are outer Moldova, and we don't give a shit!".

"Never sung the national anthem, an I never will. I am British by accident of birth, not particularly proud of the country, and I don't attend sporting events. I go along with billy Connelly's observation that the best anthems come from the tiny little nations that hardly anyone recognises. They are a lot more up tempo and sound like " we are outer Moldova, and we don't give a shit!". "

Billy Connolly did a brilliant sketch once advocating replacing GSTQ with the theme tune from the Archers

"Never sung the national anthem, an I never will. I am British by accident of birth, not particularly proud of the country, and I don't attend sporting events. I go along with billy Connelly's observation that the best anthems come from the tiny little nations that hardly anyone recognises. They are a lot more up tempo and sound like " we are outer Moldova, and we don't give a shit!".

Billy Connolly did a brilliant sketch once advocating replacing GSTQ with the theme tune from the Archers "

Its more like it...dum de dum de dum de dum da da da dah da daaah..!

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

I like ours but Im not a Welsh speaker.

I love Scotlands and know it word for word but have never sang it.

Surely the point isn't whether you like the catchy tune or can empathise with the lyrics. It's the anthem of your country,the place you call home, the place that educated you. It's irrelevant whether you like it or not. It's your national anthem and you should swell with pride and sing it with all your heart because it reminds you of everything that makes it YOUR country. Or maybe that's what's wrong with YOUR country.

"Surely the point isn't whether you like the catchy tune or can empathise with the lyrics. It's the anthem of your country,the place you call home, the place that educated you. It's irrelevant whether you like it or not. It's your national anthem and you should swell with pride and sing it with all your heart because it reminds you of everything that makes it YOUR country. Or maybe that's what's wrong with YOUR country. "

How can an anthem do that when ppl can do that?an anthem can not speak for ppl. Can an anthem force a person to change! Should it?

"Surely the point isn't whether you like the catchy tune or can empathise with the lyrics. It's the anthem of your country,the place you call home, the place that educated you. It's irrelevant whether you like it or not. It's your national anthem and you should swell with pride and sing it with all your heart because it reminds you of everything that makes it YOUR country. Or maybe that's what's wrong with YOUR country. "

But its not about the country, its about a person

"Surely the point isn't whether you like the catchy tune or can empathise with the lyrics. It's the anthem of your country,the place you call home, the place that educated you. It's irrelevant whether you like it or not. It's your national anthem and you should swell with pride and sing it with all your heart because it reminds you of everything that makes it YOUR country. Or maybe that's what's wrong with YOUR country.

How can an anthem do that when ppl can do that?an anthem can not speak for ppl. Can an anthem force a person to change! Should it?"

No, your national pride should do all of the above, the anthem is merely the catalyst to unify the masses. I too believe it's not the best song to gird the loins but get 30,000 odd people all singing in unison and it doesn't matter what it is you're singing, as long as the emotion is behind it. Sing the archers theme tune, but sing it loud and sing it proud and let it say I love my country so much I'm singing my heart out for it. I'm not sure if that answered your question as I didn't really understand it, but that's my tuppence worth.

When Im in a crowd and they all stand and do anything in unison, I just can't join in. Its just my inate non-conformacy.

"When Im in a crowd and they all stand and do anything in unison, I just can't join in. Its just my inate non-conformacy. "

I know who not to invite to a bukake party then.....

"It would help if England actually had a national anthem. "

My point exactly from a post the other day. England has no national anthem which is a bit shit in itself. So before we slag ours off we will have to get one first!

"Never sung the national anthem, an I never will. I am British by accident of birth, not particularly proud of the country, and I don't attend sporting events. I go along with billy Connelly's observation that the best anthems come from the tiny little nations that hardly anyone recognises. They are a lot more up tempo and sound like " we are outer Moldova, and we don't give a shit!". "

Accident of birth? You could always move to another country that suits you better.

"When Im in a crowd and they all stand and do anything in unison, I just can't join in. Its just my inate non-conformacy.

I know who not to invite to a bukake party then....."

That's different, I might do it differently than everyone else!

But they Maori

Kamate Kamate koor best

The Haka is brilliant. Can't think what the New Zealand anthem sounds like, but it doesn't matter when you have the Haka! "

The hukka is a war dance not an anthem.

God save the queens is a commonwealth anthem (or should be)

I would vote for Land of Hope and Glory if given the choice

You know what? Fuck what all the other miserable English fuckers are saying, I love "God Save The Queen" just for its sheer arrogance. Better than all those lame and boring anthems with all their bullshit about 'freedom' and 'pride', etc.

How about we all just keep our mouths shut and hum quitely? Like used to do to wind teachers up?

"You know what? Fuck what all the other miserable English fuckers are saying, I love "God Save The Queen" just for its sheer arrogance. Better than all those lame and boring anthems with all their bullshit about 'freedom' and 'pride', etc."

Agreed, but if it's arrogance you're after its hard to beat Deutschland Deutschland uber alles, love that sh1t.

"You know what? Fuck what all the other miserable English fuckers are saying, I love "God Save The Queen" just for its sheer arrogance. Better than all those lame and boring anthems with all their bullshit about 'freedom' and 'pride', etc.

Agreed, but if it's arrogance you're after its hard to beat Deutschland Deutschland uber alles, love that sh1t."

As a Northern Irishman, how do you view "God Save The Queen"? I personally loved watching both sets of fans singing the anthem when England played Northern Ireland a few years back.

"You know what? Fuck what all the other miserable English fuckers are saying, I love "God Save The Queen" just for its sheer arrogance. Better than all those lame and boring anthems with all their bullshit about 'freedom' and 'pride', etc."

Nothing wrong with `God save the queen`

but to me it should be a British or commonwealth anthem

"You know what? Fuck what all the other miserable English fuckers are saying, I love "God Save The Queen" just for its sheer arrogance. Better than all those lame and boring anthems with all their bullshit about 'freedom' and 'pride', etc.

Nothing wrong with `God save the queen`

but to me it should be a British or commonwealth anthem"

Agreed, England needs an anthem.

rochdale

That's the best bit ! yet it's fine for the Scots to sing we sent Edwards Army Home Gain ! I remember Princess Anne singing that and bursting into a grin on TV once .

I am not a fan of that pish either !!!!

It is only a folk song that was adopted by footie and rugger buggers so it is not an official anthem !!!!

I do understand you point though !!!!"

I understand GSTQ & FOS are the only anthems that mention a particular enemy by name - is this true?

Cardiff

But they Maori

Kamate Kamate koor best

The Haka is brilliant. Can't think what the New Zealand anthem sounds like, but it doesn't matter when you have the Haka!

I would vote for Land of Hope and Glory if given the choice"

Search for The First Ever Haka in the Uk.

Hardly a war dance back then, more like some un coordinated dance routine, its changed through the last 30 years or so

But they Maori

Kamate Kamate koor best

Hardly a war dance back then, more like some un coordinated dance routine, its changed through the last 30 years or so"

My understanding is the hukka is a challenge of comflict. Bit like an old aged wealdstone warrior

Agreed, but if it's arrogance you're after its hard to beat Deutschland Deutschland uber alles, love that sh1t.

As a Northern Irishman, how do you view "God Save The Queen"? I personally loved watching both sets of fans singing the anthem when England played Northern Ireland a few years back. "

As a northern irishman currently a citizen of the United Kingdom I swell with pride at my national anthem. I'm biased, I stood up and was counted and fought for my country. As an Irish rugby supporter I sing my heart out before a match, it gets the fans going and I believe inspires the players. I absolutely love national pride, whatever that nation is. In a foreign country I will always stand out of respect when they play or sing theirs and I enjoy seeing anyone in the world singing their own with gusto. It's a common bond, that person singing feels the same about his country as I do mine. For the old facts, anyone remember Barry mcguigans dad singing Danny boy before his fights? He came from around the border and didn't want to split his fantasy. Lovely song, crap anthem but it got people singing together and isn't that it's purpose?

OK for facts read farts and for fantasy read fanbase

As a Northern Irishman, how do you view "God Save The Queen"? I personally loved watching both sets of fans singing the anthem when England played Northern Ireland a few years back.

As a northern irishman currently a citizen of the United Kingdom I swell with pride at my national anthem. I'm biased, I stood up and was counted and fought for my country. As an Irish rugby supporter I sing my heart out before a match, it gets the fans going and I believe inspires the players. I absolutely love national pride, whatever that nation is. In a foreign country I will always stand out of respect when they play or sing theirs and I enjoy seeing anyone in the world singing their own with gusto. It's a common bond, that person singing feels the same about his country as I do mine. For the old facts, anyone remember Barry mcguigans dad singing Danny boy before his fights? He came from around the border and didn't want to split his fantasy. Lovely song, crap anthem but it got people singing together and isn't that it's purpose?"

Agreed

And if my memory serves me, we won that match, in Belfast.....just saying xx

Cardiff

But they Maori

Kamate Kamate koor best

Hardly a war dance back then, more like some un coordinated dance routine, its changed through the last 30 years or so

My understanding is the hukka is a challenge of comflict. Bit like an old aged wealdstone warrior"

Its is. Do as suggested and have a look, its turned into some pre match bullshit that I cant stand.

Ahh fuck it, here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBCpPGNDr1U save you having to look.

Look what its turned into.

"And if my memory serves me, we won that match, in Belfast.....just saying xx "

Yeah, and as a Leeds fan, I remember having mixed feelings about David Healy scoring the winner.

god save the queen,,,,,,no thankyou.

BOOGIE WONDERLAND, that's what we need

But they Maori

Kamate Kamate koor best

My understanding is the hukka is a challenge of comflict. Bit like an old aged wealdstone warrior

Its is. Do as suggested and have a look, its turned into some pre match bullshit that I cant stand.

Ahh fuck it, here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBCpPGNDr1U save you having to look.

Look what its turned into."

not very good lol

leave it to the moaris

sky love to gloryify anything new

me i love sport the old way

Has anybody seen the Scottish haka, had me rolling on the floor with laughter, it's an old whiskey advert but still brilliant

"Surely the point isn't whether you like the catchy tune or can empathise with the lyrics. It's the anthem of your country,the place you call home, the place that educated you. It's irrelevant whether you like it or not. It's your national anthem and you should swell with pride and sing it with all your heart because it reminds you of everything that makes it YOUR country. Or maybe that's what's wrong with YOUR country.

How can an anthem do that when ppl can do that?an anthem can not speak for ppl. Can an anthem force a person to change! Should it?

No, your national pride should do all of the above, the anthem is merely the catalyst to unify the masses. I too believe it's not the best song to gird the loins but get 30,000 odd people all singing in unison and it doesn't matter what it is you're singing, as long as the emotion is behind it. Sing the archers theme tune, but sing it loud and sing it proud and let it say I love my country so much I'm singing my heart out for it. I'm not sure if that answered your question as I didn't really understand it, but that's my tuppence worth."

Patriotism is the refuge of a scoundral.every country should understand each countries problem.but they are to interested in outdoing thst country.

No, your national pride should do all of the above, the anthem is merely the catalyst to unify the masses. I too believe it's not the best song to gird the loins but get 30,000 odd people all singing in unison and it doesn't matter what it is you're singing, as long as the emotion is behind it. Sing the archers theme tune, but sing it loud and sing it proud and let it say I love my country so much I'm singing my heart out for it. I'm not sure if that answered your question as I didn't really understand it, but that's my tuppence worth.

Patriotism is the refuge of a scoundral.every country should understand each countries problem.but they are to interested in outdoing thst country."

Isis have an anthem

Anthems are mismanag d, misunderstood.

"And if my memory serves me, we won that match, in Belfast.....just saying xx

Yeah, and as a Leeds fan, I remember having mixed feelings about David Healy scoring the winner."

You'd have thought we'd won the world cup in Belfast that night lmao..... Kudos on the knowledge mon ami

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

Land of Hope and Glory has strong religious connotations too (as someone mentioned Jersualem).

As someone from Northern Ireland, I don't think any of the 3 possible anthems hold any interest or meaning to me.

And as someone who has dual NZ citizenship, their anthem doesn't reflect or interest me either.

I'll just take out a tambourine and go to town.

"

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"MSPs have rejected a petition calling for Flower of Scotland to be made the official national anthem.

The petition, by Aberdeen University student Chris Cromar, was closed by Holyrood's Public Petitions Committee with cross-party agreement after the Scottish Government indicated it has no current plans to adopt an official national anthem."

» Add a new message to this topic