FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > iconic landmarks destroyed

iconic landmarks destroyed

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman  over a year ago

evesham

My home town in Milton Keynes, i grew up there in the 80's/90's and some of the most enduring memories i have revolve around the multiplx cinema called the point.

It was an eyesore of a building but you could see it from anywhere! At the time it was very modern. It was one of the first multiplex's in the country.

Today it showed its last ever film (Kingsmen) as it is due to be torn down and redevoloped as shops. To think i will never see the point again has made me quite sad

What iconic buildings that you know have been demolished forever?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I went to see Santa Claus the Movie when the point opened and spent many a day messing round in the arcade growing up. It's a shame they couldn't keep the Point bit and develop some shops inside and around it!

Always wanted to go to the top bit and look out.

Real shame but they are opening an IMAX today in MK.

Forum Mod

Not a building but I sobbed when Concorde made its last flight

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

The block of flats I grew up in were locally infamous. The blow-down drew a large audience.

Where I grew up has changed beyond recognition. It is now very trendy and somethings are the same but others have turned into cocktail bars or music venues. It's like the whole of my childhood area, iconic in it's own way and not just for the locals, has disappeared.

It's hardly surprising that as my mother developed dementia she couldn't find her way home.

The Brunel bus station in Slough is the main one. It's been replaced by a slug looking building. Almost all the buildings from the Office opening credits have gone now.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I went to see Santa Claus the Movie when the point opened and spent many a day messing round in the arcade growing up. It's a shame they couldn't keep the Point bit and develop some shops inside and around it!

Real shame but they are opening an IMAX today in MK. "

Don't you have the 4D cinema in Milton Keynes too?

Trinity Square in Gateshead the Get Carter Car Park a really ugly structure but have you see what replaced it YAK !

The Get Carter car park in Gateshead, which was replaced by an even more hideous monstrosity of a building.

"Trinity Square in Gateshead the Get Carter Car Park a really ugly structure but have you see what replaced it YAK !"

Haha snap

evesham

"I went to see Santa Claus the Movie when the point opened and spent many a day messing round in the arcade growing up. It's a shame they couldn't keep the Point bit and develop some shops inside and around it!

Real shame but they are opening an IMAX today in MK. "

the Milton Keynes Museum (actually a better museum than it sounds!) in Wolverton wanted to keep it i believe and use it as the gateway to their carpark but they were denied

I used to go to school in Deanshanger and everything as red from the iron works. Went back not long ago and was sad to see everything looking quite clean as the iron works had been demolished and houses built instead.

"The Brunel bus station in Slough is the main one. It's been replaced by a slug looking building. Almost all the buildings from the Office opening credits have gone now. "

Slough is a dump

Sorry

The Tricorn in Portsmouth. I've never known another building to contain quite as much concrete. It was iconic for all the wrong reasons.

crystal

Real shame but they are opening an IMAX today in MK.

Don't you have the 4D cinema in Milton Keynes too?

"

Yes I think so but not been. Not much that MK does not have now.

Northampton are tearing down the "Mouth of Hell" bus station which was a glorious example of brutalist architecture.

Not a building,but had small buildings on it,and that was margate pier,demolished in a storm in 1972. Spent many a few hours on there as a youngster.....

i think knocking the cavern club down in Liverpool was quite a dumb thing to do..all that was left was a gap between two building with a small sub power station on it and a small parking space for about 6 cars..now there is a shopping centre on top and a replica of the original club

The Astoria on Charing cross road, many a night pouring out of there into the freezing cold air covered in sweat, went to make room for crossrail. The electric ballroom in Camden was meant to be going for years too.

The Sheriffs Lodge.

I wept when they finally tore it down.

Me too was an amazing thing to see flying overhead

The amazing pub I worked in as a student. It's a pool Hall now

The Mayfair in Newcastle. Classic live music venue. It was a dive and has been replaced by The Gate. But it was genuinely iconic.

the broken doll ! handyside arcade

also the haymarket pub and the farmers rest!

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

The building that housed the departmental lecture theatres for my subject at the university I went to.

The garage for one of the mascot vehicles and the student union office of a now disbanded union were in the same building. I spent a lot of hours in that building during my undergrad years. I was very sad to see it torn down.

By *hyllyphyllyMan  over a year ago

Bradford

I don't mind old, non grade listed buildings being pulled down. You can't stop modernization.

What I really hate, are buildings that are just left and fall into disrepair, they make the place look awful. Google "old odeon bradford" to see what I mean.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"My home town in Milton Keynes, i grew up there in the 80's/90's and some of the most enduring memories i have revolve around the multiplx cinema called the point.

It was an eyesore of a building but you could see it from anywhere! At the time it was very modern. It was one of the first multiplex's in the country.

Today it showed its last ever film (Kingsmen) as it is due to be torn down and redevoloped as shops. To think i will never see the point again has made me quite sad

What iconic buildings that you know have been demolished forever?"

Shops ? No one goes. The wind whistles through most shopping centres and high streets.

"My home town in Milton Keynes, i grew up there in the 80's/90's and some of the most enduring memories i have revolve around the multiplx cinema called the point.

What iconic buildings that you know have been demolished forever?"

I grew up in Aylesbury. 75% of the town centre has been "redeveloped" in the 20 years since I left. The concert hall were I saw my first gig and swimming pool I learned to swim in are gone and the cinema I watched all the movies I could at stands derelict. My first school is gone, the shopping precinct where I had my first job has gone. Even the field were there was a row of hollow hedges we used as camps as boys is now a housing estate and my old scout hut is gone. Its like somebody stole the first half of my life

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

I grew up in Aylesbury. 75% of the town centre has been "redeveloped" in the 20 years since I left. The concert hall were I saw my first gig and swimming pool I learned to swim in are gone and the cinema I watched all the movies I could at stands derelict. My first school is gone, the shopping precinct where I had my first job has gone. Even the field were there was a row of hollow hedges we used as camps as boys is now a housing estate and my old scout hut is gone. Its like somebody stole the first half of my life "

You mean the Civic Centre is gone?

Saw many of my first gigs there, learnt to drive on (what was then) the 'Hen & Chickens' roundabout and enjoyed many a d*unken fumble in Friars Square!

Can't believe the Point is going - as soon as we'd passed our driving tests my mates and I would head up to MK most weekends as Aylesbury was, quite frankly, a total shit hole!

Please tell me they haven't murdered the concrete cows?

A

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"I don't mind old, non grade listed buildings being pulled down. You can't stop modernization.

What I really hate, are buildings that are just left and fall into disrepair, they make the place look awful. Google "old odeon bradford" to see what I mean. "

We went to Bradford 2 years ago on a tour of West Yorks. Truely amazed how a city could bother redeveloping a central square without any thought about what to do with such an iconic building.

We lack decent architects with vision, who can revitalise old classics while retaining the original features.

Too often we simply reach for the wrecking ball.

Mr ddc

its very nice up there

We had a stunning 1950s cinema years ago. Really stunning. It closed down in 2001 and to add insult they knocked part of it down and then left it to rot.

I wish I could afford to buy and resurect it.

I grew up in Aylesbury. 75% of the town centre has been "redeveloped" in the 20 years since I left. The concert hall were I saw my first gig and swimming pool I learned to swim in are gone and the cinema I watched all the movies I could at stands derelict. My first school is gone, the shopping precinct where I had my first job has gone. Even the field were there was a row of hollow hedges we used as camps as boys is now a housing estate and my old scout hut is gone. Its like somebody stole the first half of my life

Saw many of my first gigs there, learnt to drive on (what was then) the 'Hen & Chickens' roundabout and enjoyed many a d*unken fumble in Friars Square!

Can't believe the Point is going - as soon as we'd passed our driving tests my mates and I would head up to MK most weekends as Aylesbury was, quite frankly, a total shit hole!

A"

yup civic centre and civic swimming pool both gone. Hen and chicks also gone. Friars square "redeveloped" into a covered shopping centre. Underground market gone.

evesham

Shops ? No one goes. The wind whistles through most shopping centres and high streets. "

Yep, shops. Even though it's opposite the big shopping centre and surrounded by other retail outlets, they need more shops!!!

By *indys loverCouple  over a year ago

Stratford on avon

'The day they knocked down the palaise my sister stood and cried '

By *indys loverCouple  over a year ago

Stratford on avon

A"

yup the concrete cows were culled because they were TB reactors ,,,,, bloody badgers ,,,,,,

A"

The cows are still about and seem to have multiplied and pop up everywhere.

They went through a phase where people kept stealing them.

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

The Victorian baths and pool in Croydon. We went there every day during the summer holidays and I appreciated the architecture even then.

The cubicles that lined the main pool were useless at offering privacy, so many peep holes had been bored through the flimsy walls.

evesham

I was also very sad when rollers was demolished and replaced by the football stadium. Used to love going to all night skates there!!

I was never brave or cool enough to go to the sanctuary round the corner

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

The cows are still about and seem to have multiplied and pop up everywhere.

They went through a phase where people kept stealing them. "

With what?

JCB diggers?

The only bits of MK I've been to in the last few years have been the bowl for gigs and the stadium for rugby.

I used to get lost in the shopping centre - and tbh most of the roads in/around MK. It's no wonder the 'grid' system has never taken off in the UK as its a friggin nightmare!

A

» Add a new message to this topic